Good News
[html]

Word Count → 364

It had been several days since the attack and the snow wolf had yet to feel the urge to shift. Most of that traumatic time was a blur, fading in and out of memory at random intervals. Sometimes Kiara could see every detail clearly, the sharp images and memories of pain playing through her dreams over and over again like a broken record. Other times the memories were nothing more than a confused mess of images and sensations. But that question was still there. Had Kiara been infected with the virus? Had she been changed?

Sapphire eyes cracked open, their deep recesses blurred with fever and pain. Kiara had crawled back into the corner of the front room where she had curled up into a ball. It was something she seemed to be doing a lot. No matter how many times Shiloh had tried to move her, the snow wolf kept returning to the back corner. Before her lay the front door, closed to prevent Kiara from wandering out the door when her fever caused to her be delusional. She had managed to reopen the wound on her belly and neck again. Blood dripped out of the cracks in her scabs, staining her white coat scarlet.

Kiara looked around, trying to figure things out through the haze. The fever had caused her mind to slow, making her thinking sluggish and difficult. Kiara gave up and returned back to her ball. Her back was against the walls, her legs tucked firmly under her body, and her fluffy tail wrapped around her front. Kiara put her nose under her tail, making it almost completely disappear. Sapphire eyes stared out into the world, scared and in pain.

In many ways, such moments of 'clarity' where worse than her delusional states. In the delusions, Kiara was plagued with her memories of Amy. But there were moments where she was back home in the canadian arctic. It was a place where no luperci roamed and where her fears could just disappear. But these moments of clarity brought out the realization that Kiara might turn into a luperci. Any day now she might feel the urge to shift, to change.

<style type="text/css">
.ikuseiara b {font-weight:bold; color:#defff2; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#1f191b 0px 0px 1px;}
.ikuseiara p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 45px; margin:0px;}
.ikuseiara {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#979a86; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/I8xRB.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 365px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#1f191b; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
.ikuseiara .wordcount {color:#000000; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
.ikuseiara .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px; text-align:center;}
</style>[/html]
Shiloh was worried about Kiara. The woman seemed to have a really bad fever and was seeing things and having nightmares. Shiloh had almost lost the woman the day she found her and Vespar together. Kiara had lost a lot of blood and Shiloh knew her friend was in pain. She had gotten up early this morning and cut apart her furs for bandages for Kiara's wounds. She made a strong numbing salve for her neck and side and a tea to help with the fever and nightmares. Sarian rubbed against her leg and whined. She was worried about Kiara too and Shiloh had been keeping Sarian from her in fears that Kiara was infected. Deep down Shiloh knew that Kiara was OK but Sarian might hurt her. Not only that but Kiara's delusions seemed to be getting worse. She might hurt Sarian thinking that she was Amy.

"Can I lay with Kiara today mommy? I will try not to hurt her. I miss her. I am worried about her. Rara needs me mommy," Sarian said softly rubbing against Shiloh. Shiloh looked down at Sarian ans saw her pleading grey eyes and smiled. "Keep her calm. Mommy needs to treat her wounds." Shikoh said as Sarian lef t the room. Shiloh gathered her stuff and went out to the living room to find Sarian curled by Kiara's head, licking her face softly and whispering words of love and nonsense. Shiloh approached slowly, speaking in hushed tones, trying to soothe the scared and battered woman. She had opened her wounds again, her neck and side the worse of the wounds. Shiloh put down her things down and dipped a rag in some warm water to clean the blood off her neck. It was going to take a while for her to rub the blood out but she needed to see the wounds to put the salve on.

"Talk to me Kiara. Tell me how you feel. Anything. I want to hear your voice," said Shiloh as she dabbed at Kiara's wounds
[html]

Word Count → 395

A small silver body trotted over to Kiara, her small face a blessing. Sarian had been so brave and was so wonderful. Children could heal even the worst wounds with just their presence and seeing Sarian safe and sound always cheered the snow wolf. Kiara unfolded herself enough to let Sarain in. The bond between the two wolves was not that of mother and daughter, but it still ran strong and deep. Just as Sarian licked her face and whispered words in their nonsense language, so too did Kiara. She licked the small pups back and replied in short bursts. Kiara would keep Sarain safe. Amy would never get to her.

Their conversation was simple and sweet. Sarain talked about the snow and how she wished to run with Kiara again. Kiara responded just as any adult would, "of course." Approaching footsteps cut them off. The arctic wolf's head jerked up but her vision swirled at the sudden motion. Kiara lips pulled back to reveal her teeth, worried that the approaching figure was Amy. Soft words drifted through the air, but Kiara dare not trust them. When her vision cleared there was Shiloh, speaking to her in soothing tones.

Kiara closed her mouth and allowed Shiloh to approach. Her head turned away in shame. As Shiloh worked, the snow wolf slowly uncurled to allow Shiloh to reach her bleeding belly. Kiara whimpered a little as the water stung her neck. The wound was open in a few spots and it was tender to the touch. Shiloh's hands were soft and gentle, much like the words of her daughter. Shiloh begged for Kiara to talk, but she just sat in silence. Her tongue was heavy and thick as wool, making talking something she really didn't want to do.

Kiara tried her best to surround herself in this feeling, the feeling of family and kindness. But there was Amy's face again, the yellow dog smiling in her sickly sweet way. The snow wolf balked, her head rearing back and her ears flat against her skull. Kiara curled herself defensively around Sarian, and the small puppy whined. The snow wolf looked between Sarian, Shiloh, and the place where Amy's face had been. Another illusion.

With a heavy sigh she released her charge and sat up. "Sorry Sarian, Shiloh." Her voice came in a soft whisper. "I'm okay, really."

<style type="text/css">
.ikuseiara b {font-weight:bold; color:#defff2; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#1f191b 0px 0px 1px;}
.ikuseiara {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#979a86; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/I8xRB.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 365px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#1f191b; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
.ikuseiara .wordcount {color:#000000; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
</style>[/html]
"Kiara! Kiara calm down! I mean you no harm." Shiloh said softly as Kiara as she curls around Sarian. Shiloh knows she is seeing things again and decided after she told her she was sorry and that she was OK that she needed to give her the speech. "Kiara... listen to me. You are safe here in Ichkia. I will never let anyone hurt you again. But you are strong then this. Stronger then Amy. You have lived though her cruelty as i have lived though Rain's. We are strong women. You have people who love you. Sarian and I love you. Be strong. For yourself. For your family. No one should live like I do. No one should live in constant fear." Shiloh whispered to Kiara softly as she forced her to look at her.

Shiloh could feel the fever taking over her friend and she picked up the tea. "I need you to take this. I will help you heal and sleep without nightmares. I have to put this salve on your cuts to keep them clean and keep any other sickness you might get. I am here for you Kiara. You are never alone with me and Sarian." Shiloh said stroking her friends swollen cheek gently, it wasn't too long ago she was in her position with the swollen cheek and bloody open wounds all over. She remembered going though her nightmares alone, without the comfort of Saxif. She would not let Kiara feel the way she did.
[html]

What a happy family

Word Count → 341

Kiara listened quietly as Shiloh spoke to her. To live in fear, that was something Kiara had never thought of yet the realization dawned on her that it was exactly what she had been doing. She was living in fear, fear of Amy and herself. Her ear flipped back in agitation. Why should she live in fear? She was an arctic wolf. Arctic wolves were hardy by nature, they could take things most other wolves couldn't. So again, why should she live in fear? Because there was something too fear. Amy is what she feared. Amy was scary, luperci were scary. Kiara's other ear flipped back, her agitation and anxiety growing. No, Amy wasn't scary. Amy was alone, Kiara had pack. If Kiara really wanted to she could fight back against Amy, she had done so already. The only reason why Amy hurt Kiara so much was because Kiara had trusted her right off the bat. That would not happen again. Kiara would be more cautious to make sure it did not happen again.

Still, the snow wolf was a gentle soul. She whined a little as Shiloh cradled her cheek. It didn't hurt, but the soft touch of another was something Kiara would always crave. The snow wolf licked Shiloh's paw and her tail wagged a little. Kiara stood, gingerly so as not to reopen her wounds. She licked at the bowl Shiloh handed her and winced as the bitter liquid ran down her throat. Her red tongue flicked in and out in disgust and her teeth were bared slightly to emphasize her distaste. A small shiver ran down Kiara's spine as the healing liquid reached her stomach and she groaned a little. "Can't you make that taste better?" The snow wolf still whispered, but her voice had more of her usual humor.

Kiara wrapped her aching body around Shiloh, seeking the comfort of her dear friend and family. The snow wolf still had a long way to go, but Shiloh's speech had really lifted Kiara out of the gutter.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
Shiloh hugged Kiara gingerly and licked her forehead softly. "I will protect you. I love you Kiara. I can't lose you. You are part of my heart. I don't know if i could take you not being here. You mean so much me and the family. You are family," she said softly as she held Kiara as close as her stomach would allow her. She knew that Kiara would need her and Sarian close now that she was healing. Shiloh laughed at Kiara's distaste. "Would you rather be in pain? Some distaste is better then pain." Shiloh said with a smile. She knew Kiara needed sk thing else to life her spirits and Shiloh knew what would.

"My friend. I know you fear that you will become like me but know deep down you are not going to shift. I tested your blood. She didn't infect you," she said with a smile. She knew the tea would make Kiara tired and shuffled some, grabbing the furs she didn't cut up to make a bed for her in the corner she had been sleeping in. "I need you to lay down so i can finish cleaning your wounds," she said with a gently touch to Kiara's side
[html]

Word Count → 310

The enveloping warmth created by Shiloh put the snow wolf at ease. Sarian had crawled under Kiara body, her small form just barely fitting between Kiara's legs. Together the three of them comforted each other. The past several days had been hectic and they could all use a break. The grey woman brought Kiara as close to her as possible, and Kiara could hear the small pups moving around. Her snowy tail wagged a little, and a smile spread across her face.

The potion was beginning to take effect. The pain had diminished and Kiara's eye lids began to droop. She barely heard Shiloh's words, but their meaning made it through the cloud of sleep. Her entire body froze and she looked up at Shiloh's face, disbelief evident in her expression. "Are... are you sure? I'm really not going to change?" Kiara didn't understand what Shiloh meant by "testing her blood," but it sounded final. Kiara didn't know whether to laugh or cry for joy. She didn't do ether, instead she let out a small howl and let the melodic notes express her joy and relief.

At Shiloh's command, Kiara laid down on the makeshift bed so that her belly was showing. The day had worn the snow wolf out and the potent medicine was causing her eyes to droop. Kiara didn't know if it was the medicine, the good news, or a combination of both; but she felt completely relaxed for the first time in days. Kiara lifted her large forepaw and placed it against Shiloh's shoulder, her traditional sign of respect and trust. "Shiloh, you are the greatest friend and best pack mate a wolf could ask for." What Kiara meant by pack mate was family. To her the words were one and the same and Kiara sincerely hoped that her message crossed over to the grey luperci.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
Shiloh pulled Kiara's paw into her own. "I am sure my friend. Sleep. I know. You are the best god mother Sarian could ever have. You will be the best god mother they have," she said softly as she placed Kiara's paw softly on her bulging stomach. The pups moved and kicked excitedly and Shiloh smiled. She licked the woman's forehead and started again dabbing at her bleeding wounds. Shiloh wished that Kiara had not been attack, put though this trauma but she had and Shiloh would be there for her. Already the medicine was working, lowering Kiara's fever and the woman seemed to be relaxing. Shiloh wiped away the blood and started to put the salve on her skin and fur.

Shiloh knew that Kiara would sleep and looked at Sarian. "mama can I stay? Rara needs me...." said Sarian cuddling closer to Kiara. Shiloh shook her head yes and Sarian curled up next to her neck. She licked at Kiara's face softly and again started to whisper her nonsense. Shiloh knew Kiara needed time with Sarian. They needed each other.
[html]

Word Count → 224

Sleep called to the snow wolf as she struggled to stay awake. Kiara smiled and listened quietly to Shiloh's soothing words. The promise of puppies was wonderful, and Kiara was delighted to be apart of Shiloh's family. Kiara would do her best to care and protect the puppies and not only as the packs Ikusei, but as the puppies god mother. But first, Kiara needed to become strong. She needed to heal, both physically and mentally.

The salve that Shiloh placed on Kiara's wounds was cold and tingled against her skin. Sometimes the arctic wolf would watch as Shiloh prepared similar creations. The dexterous paws of the luperci always astounded Kiara. Shiloh worked with a practiced hand, and soon the pain in her wounds was gone as well. The medicine seemed to work a lot like licking. It was common knowledge that if one licked a wound it would heal faster, and the strange salve seemed to work in a similar manner. Why the luperci spent time creating such things when they could use their tongues, Kiara did not know. But for now, she was simply grateful for Shiloh's efforts.

The small silver puppy cuddled close to Kiara and soon the snow wolf was fast asleep. Her dreams were still vivid and full of nightmares, but somehow the burden seemed just a little lighter.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]

End