Far
[html]

set in the flower fields Smile

She was in her Optime form, which was an unusual occurrence, at least for the silky cream woman for the past few days. Her wariness did not allow her to shift into the less powerful form, although she still had her knife - now she was never without it, and she traced the edge of it with her finger as it hung on her belt neatly. She had been patrolling the borders more than she usually did now, hoping to be able to protect her pack better - anything to help it, anything to restore the faith it once had. But she knew that the threats weren't on the outside but the inside. The threats were always on the inside.

She found herself walking in the flower fields - springs of red, yellow, and baby blue flowers poked up through the soil and littered the area around her, making the place seem cheerful and innocent. She bent down and picked one off the ground, bringing it up to her eyes and inspecting it - it didn't seem bothered by the cold, although the number of flowers were diminished. Where the land was usually a carpet of flowers and foliage, now it was thinner, sparse. The flower she had picked was alright, but the ones around it seemed browner at the edges. She tossed the flower to the ground and continued to walk.

<style type="text/css">
.forested b {font-weight:bold; color:#fff;}
.forested-ooc {font-style:italic; text-align:center;}
.forested p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.forested {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#4D523C; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/c1FGC.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #D8DBCE; padding: 0px 0px 80px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#AEB599; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.forested-border1 {width:502px; border:1px solid #485259; margin:0 auto;}
.forested-line1 {width:470px; border-bottom:1px dotted #959D79; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
#00+
[/html]
[html]

When she wasn’t in the stables or making rounds, Orin was often found at the flower fields. Mostly because her daughter had such an affinity for the place, and Orin had an affinity for her daughter. Today she had come here searching for Juliet, expecting to see the girl here searching for the last few flowers that braved the winter, yet instead of seeing the tan and white girl a different light colored shape was in her vision today.

“Afternoon, Capitana,” her airy voice chimed over the field as she made her way across the clearing and toward her alphess. She had seen her pick the flower and then drop it to the ground, and now her golden eyes were wrought with concern. Skye was troubled, but she didn’t know how badly. Pretty bad, she assumed. She hadn’t spoken to her since Liam… since the snow turned red.

As she neared she could see the discarded flower laying on the ground, now just a vibrant picture of death. She didn’t like the metaphor, and she didn’t like the thought of Juliet finding a willingly destroyed flower, so she came to a stop and started kicking dirt over it, as casually as she could.

She was still doing so when her yellow eyes looked into Skye’s face and saw her troubled visage. A stress mirrored itself in the pale women’s glassy eyes. ‘How are you today?’ sounded more like a joke than anything, so she skipped the pleasantries. There was, however, something that her Capitana had the right to know, and she wouldn’t mind just getting it over with. Or maybe she already knew… “Have you talked to Shawchert today?”

<style type="text/css">
.orint1 b {font-weight:bold; color:#e9f2f9;}
.orint1 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.orint1 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#042F4B; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/2MpXv.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #A1ACB3; outline:1px solid #042F4B; padding: 160px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#ACB3B8; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #;letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
wc: 279
[/html]
[html]

She looked at Orin as she approached; the female had gotten her pink hair back with a bit of yellow at the ends, and she didn't seem as troubled as Skye herself was. That was good - she was happy to see Orin happy, even if the happiness was slightly dampened in light of the recent events. She cocked her head at the question and a dark cloud rolled over her face - the way the question was worded sounded ominous, as if Shawchert was planning something, and that something wasn't a thing to be very happy about.

"Should I?" she asked, unsure still of what Orin was talking about. "I haven't spoken with him since the... incident," she said, hissing the last word as if it was a poison that would never be released from her blood. The look on her face was now even darker, although it was not anger towards Orin - no, it was anger towards the monster that had taken Tameri's life, the monster that had returned, since Argul, to wrench the pack apart. Her stomach was in knots now, but she forced herself to relax; her face cleared and she shook her head slightly, returning her attention to Orin.

<style type="text/css">
.forested {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#4D523C; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/c1FGC.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #D8DBCE; padding: 0px 0px 80px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#AEB599; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.forested-line1 {width:470px; border-bottom:1px dotted #959D79; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
#00+
[/html]
[html]

Ignorant to the vein of Skye's thoughts, she had no way of guessing that Skye might take her question the wrong way. Yes, it had sounded ominous, though, and the look it conjured in Skye's eyes made Orin start. Perhaps now wasn't such a good time to tell her Capitana this? Maybe they had talked, and maybe Skye was angry with her. The wolf within her took over for a moment, and her ears dipped into her hair as she took a half step back, cowering ever so slightly in the presence of her internally enraged leader. It wasn't only the stormy look in Skye's eyes, but the power of her alpha's presence that overwhelmed her. Sometimes dominant wolves could give off signals without even meaning to. Did Skye mean to do this now? Was it time for posture play? Or was Orin just being too edgy?

“I... haven't really talked to him much since then, either,” she said slowly, her eyes shifting away from Skye's face. She didn't tremble and crouch before her, but this was much more subconscious posturing than she normally displayed. Still, Orin had never been one to slack on the display toward Skye when necessary. In fact, she quite loved Skye, and had little qualm about it at all.

Her eyes moved back to her face, but she didn't search for the darkness in her eyes, instead preferring to look at generic points of her countenance. “I talked to him yesterday though. We... I... I ended our engagement.”

<style type="text/css">
.orint1 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#042F4B; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/2MpXv.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #A1ACB3; outline:1px solid #042F4B; padding: 160px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#ACB3B8; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #;letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
wc: 200+
[/html]
[html]

She hadn't realized exactly what it was she was doing until Orin reacted to it, crouching slightly before her and dipping her ivory ears into her sunrise-colored hair. Skye felt slightly ashamed of herself; she had been through the Argul incident, and had lost her own son without showing these signs of anger and frustration, and she was only now allowing them to be displayed, and worse, making one of her best friends uncomfortable. To allow her emotions to leak through now was unfair to her packmates and to herself; if she expected her pack to remain strong, she had to as well. With those thoughts, Skye's mind suddenly cleared and the anger in her eyes receded a great deal and she became more relaxed, giving a slightly apologetic glance towards Orin.

The subconscious displays of posture seemed to take on a conversation of their own and slightly distracted Skye from the words at hand. She listened more carefully now as Orin spoke of what Shawchert had told her - and it seemed that it wasn't something he had told her at all, but something that had happened.

"Orin, I'm so sorry," she said, the old Skye coming back as sympathy and caring for her friend leaked into her voice and eyes. Orin had seemed so happy about the engagement - but then... was it the murder that had lead her to see something that she hadn't seen before? "Forgive me, but you seemed so... so happy about it, before. What happened?"

<style type="text/css">
</style>
#00+
[/html]
[html]

Much like it should be with any true wolf pack, they complimented each other perfectly, even if the women didn't fully realize what they were doing. Orin's instinctual reaction to Skye's presence served to naturally soothe something within the leader, and she watched as the frustration faded from Skye's visage to be replaced with something more warm and compassionate. This caused Orin to brighten as well, even though they spoke of sad tidings. Her ears raised again and her stance became casual. She no longer fretted about what she had to tell Skye, realizing that this wasn't the cause for her ire.

“It's... okay...” she started slowly, taking a few steps and wandering the clearing nonchalantly as she spoke to Skye. If Skye didn't mull around with her then she wouldn't wander too far from her, and was sure to face her when speaking. Otherwise, she pretended to be searching for surviving flowers. “It's kind of hard to explain. Things just didn't really feel right any more. I'm a big believer in fate and, well, things happened the first time to keep our relationship from even happening.” It's not that she blamed Sky Katruk (now Rhiannon) for Shawchert never courting her after she became pregnant with his children, nor did she blame Shawchert for it. Their joining had been emotional and unplanned for either, but she did not regret it. Still, she couldn't help but look back upon that part of her past and feel... wronged.

“And now, well, despite our best efforts of trying to put on our wedding before winter, it just didn't happen. Things don't even feel right now. How could we have the wedding in the wake of...?” She let it hang in the air. It didn't need to be said, Skye would know that she meant in the wake of Tameri's murder. There was no room for a celebration right now, and Orin did not want her mateship to be so closely connected to the gruesome murder.

“It's not just wrong because of that, either. I started... doubting. I love Shawchert... when I don't think about it much. I think I've just become used to him being there. We get along, we're good friends, but then sometimes I don't even feel like he knows me. When I think about a future... the pieces just don't feel like they're falling into place.” She was about to say something else, something about Mars and the way his presence seemed to really stem her decision, but she didn't think it would come across right. She didn't want Skye to get the wrong impression, and she knew she couldn't explain it in a way that would make sense. She couldn't even make sense of it completely, herself... how dearly she wished Mars had not left Cercatori d'Arte.

“I don't know what to do. Did I do the right thing?” She wrapped one arm around herself and placed her hand on the opposite shoulder, sort of hugging herself with one limb. Her eyes were tumultuous for a moment before they cast away from Skye completely, unsure of herself.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
wc: 500+
[/html]
[html]

With the carefully selected body language out of the way, Skye now had more time to listen to her friend as she poured her troubles out to the creamy white woman with the fiery hair. She began to walk slowly with Orin along the dying flower fields and listened as her friend started with saying that it was okay - it wasn't, she knew, and Orin elaborated more in the next sentence, where she said that things weren't right. Skye nodded slowly - she would understand if things kept happening, kept preventing her from doing the same thing, over and over. Skye was not very superstitious, nor was she religious, but even she knew that if something happened to stop another thing from happening again and again, perhaps it was not meant to be.

And then her friend went on to say that she did love Shawchert, and continued to speak as the woman next to her listened. Right then, right there, she felt sympathy for Orin - her friend had been through so much. She remembered the carefree woman who had come into Cercatori d'Arte, painted like the flowers in the ground, but was destroyed by members' treachery. Again and again she was wronged - Skye felt that if she could do anything to help her friend, to help her life improve, she would do it, no matter what. All she could do now, though, was listen, listen and give advice, if she had any to give to the unfortunate woman.

Orin questioned herself once and looked off into the distance, away from Skye. Skye moved towards Orin and moved to put a reassuring hand on her shoulder, if the white woman would allow it; she tried to catch Orin's gaze, to look at her like a friend would - and has. "Orin, it's always important to listen to your heart," she said. "But it's also important to listen to your mind and your spirit. If things don't seem right to you, if you have doubts like these, you shouldn't force yourself to do something you may regret later." She knew she had regrets, regrets because of things that she did or didn't do because she only listened to part of her instead of all of her. She didn't want her friend to be in pain because of what she thinks she should do, but rather enjoy what she wants to do. "Humans used to say," she said, knowing that Orin knew enough about humans to understand what she was about to say from the books she had read, "that if you flip a coin to make a decision, you'll find yourself hoping that the side you really want lands face-up, so you get that choice." She looked at her friend, brown eyes meeting orange. "Find the side of the coin you really want - the one that will make you happy."

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]