It never was so cold between us
[html]

Set at the borders for Matteo

The AniWayans had a new leader of sorts, and the presence of the other packs had all but disappeared. That was what the Dauphin had believed at least. He had not visited the tribe very much, and his visits had dropped significantly when the war had begun and he found his pack on tenterhooks. How the war had begun was none of their business, even though everyone really knew who was to blame. An inept leader, hungry for power and for obedience sought to destroy a neighboring pack for harboring fugitives from the oppressive rule. The family was not known to him, though several pack mates and those among the Dreamers had some form of a relationship with them. He had heard that one of them had passed away from an injury sustained from horse-back riding. After that, the redheaded man had no idea what had happened other than the war being won. If the family was alright, he had no clue, and he did not know if they had chosen to stay here after the loss of the family member. Regardless, ties between the packs was coming back, though everyone eyed each other warily. Mostly everyone watched AniWaya to make sure it still behaved itself.

Strel was not worried. The problem was eliminated and everyone was being terribly careful with themselves and relations. Strel was already careful enough, avoiding problems with other packs. Long ago, he might have enjoyed causing a ruckus for his own amusement. Now, anything he did could be seen as an act of war or insult. And some reacted in kind to these insults, potentially raining hell on the rest of the pack he represented. Damn decorum and image. He behaved as well as the rest, but now he had a mate and had a big role in his pack. Despite that, Strel still missed his promiscuous days and hours he could spend just working, drinking, and sleeping around. At the time he had felt alone and that all he was good for was those things. But now he had responsibility and he felt some regret at it all. But the Dauphin bit back all those things and bore them. Noss helped him bear it all, but sometimes he wanted to escape it all and enjoy himself again before age started to creep on him. For now, it was in the shadows. But it had watching eyes.

Escape was not possible, nor was rescue. Strel had wanted this privilege and now he was going to serve it well, even if sometimes it felt like too much. True, the war had been over by the time he had stepped up. Or almost over. But still. Patrolling and judgement and protecting and being fair could become like a chore, a duty riddled with lack of motivation. So Strel decided to leave the territory in his King's more than capable hands for a little while to visit other packs. First, he decided to head over to AniWaya, where he felt bringing a small stack of leather would not go amiss. He had stuffed the dried and stretched out leather into a satchel along with a small bottle of vodka traded from Freetown. Peace offerings, nothing more.

Long ago, he had a friend in AniWaya, Hemming, but that man was long since gone. Now, he had few friends in the tribe other than his mate's sister and her offspring. No one else was familiar to him and he knew no faces other than those of his family. Hopefully, he would run across someone in charge, as he was rather unaware of who it was. At the fence, the man paused, unsure of the etiquette. Sure, his pack had occupied the tribe, but that was no longer true. He couldn't just stroll into the pack and demand to see who was in charge.

<style>
.strel-txt {font-family: garamond, georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; word-spacing:1px; margin:0px 25px auto; padding:0px 0px 0px 0px; margin:5px auto; width:75%; text-align:justify;}
.strel-txt .inner {background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/GEuNG.png); background-position:center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border: 0px solid #000; padding 0px 0px 10px 0px; }
.strel-txt .ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto; width:500px;}
.strel-txt p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 0px;}
.strel-txt b {letter-spacing:1px; letter-spacing:-.05em;text-shadow:#fff 0px 0px 1px;font-family:verdana, garamond, serif; font-size:12px;}
.strel-txt .line {width:150px; border-bottom:1px dashed #000; margin:0 auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

WC:487+
Big Grin Let the estrogen fly!

Not every day could be spent in the warm comforts of his house. Especially not days such as this. The night before had been the last day of the year, making this the first day of the new year... which meant Matteo had some work to do. Namely, his stores were running low. He'd been so focused on the Inferni job that his first job in AniWaya had taken a back seat, and now he was regretting it.

Camilla, have you seen my satchel bag? He called over to his sister, who was visiting from the next house over to help clean up. He walked out of the living room to spot her in the kitchen doorway, holding up his black bag and lifting an eyebrow at him in that teenage attitude she had.

Y'mean your purse? Here yah go. She teased as she held it out for him. Teo rumbled a complaint at the mocking and snatched it away from her, sending her a look.

So where are you going to find these missing ingredients anyway? It's the middle of winter. Nothing's green or ripe at this time of year.

I know that. But I figured I'd go and check out Halifax. They usually have some good traders up there. It's worth a shot, anyway. AniWaya was a bountiful place during the spring, with plenty of medical herbs growing in its territory. He was hopeful that someone would be kind enough to lend a poor medicine man a helping hand until that time came again.

With little more conversation, he dressed in his warm jacket and headed out the door, whistling for Jericho as he passed the stables; he'd taken her out earlier, but had left her near the stables for the time being. Now, she came trotting up to him obediently and knickered a warm welcome back. He smiled and rubbed a hand across her nose gently before moving to mount up.

And then it was off to the borders. They rode away from the village at a steady trot and by the time he reached the borders, he'd finally gotten used to the cold. It came as a surprise to him, however, when he found a man standing there at the border's fence, his scent telling Matteo that he was from the Court.

Jericho slowed as they approached. Osiyo, sir. He greeted as he rode to a stop on the other side of the fence, staying mounted for the time being and feeling rather proud of himself for remembering the term for 'hello'. What brings a man of the court by our humble borders? He wore a smile and the tone suggested a friendly, laid-back sort of guy. Truthfull, he was just happy to be riding again and felt no need to be strict and mean to someone, even if the man smelled of the Court.

<style> .AnaFK-22 .ooc {font-size:10px; font-style:italic;} .AnaFK-22 p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;} .AnaFK-22 b {font-family:verdana; color:#FFF; text-shadow:#000 0px 0px 3px; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;} .AnaFK-22 {background-color:#caccc9; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000; line-height:16px; width:476px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb29 ... uls/20.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:326px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; border-radius:8px; } .AnaFK-22-border {width:478px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:8px;}
.AnaFK-22 p b:before { content: open-quote; } .AnaFK-22 p b:after {content: close-quote; } </style>[/html]
[html]

Look at it go! like a hurricane of rose petals

The cold wind ruffled through his thick red mane. His clawed fingers ran through it to separated tangled strands and all he got in return were even curlier waves and a stinging scalp. Grumbling at his self-inflicted pain, Strel leaned against the fence as the wind picked at his clothing like a child with grubby, sticky fingers. Settling his scarf securely in his vest, the redheaded man stared at the interior of the territory, looking for a single glimmer of movement so he could cease being bored out of his miserable mind. The smell of horse distracted him. It was faint on the wind but it was getting stronger as he waited. It was hard to discern if there was someone mounted on that horse, as the smell of the Tribe was thick at the borders. But the tribesman's smell grew stronger as they approached the fence.

Perking up, the redheaded man watched and waited for the figure to appear. When they did, he stepped away from the fence lightly and readjusted all of his clothes in something of a fit. His hair was a mess from the wind, but it was not something he could remedy without comb and reflective surface. So he straightened his back as the person mounted on the horse approached and came into viewing distance. From where Strel was, he could see the jacket and scent told him it was male. Granted, the figure was not the most masculine of figures, but he was not one to talk. He was pretty curvy for a man, especially as thin as he was.

Strelein had never met this person before, though they smiled at him and the redhead shot one right back at the stranger with practiced ease. It curled on his lips in a familiar fashion and he nodded his head to the other man. "Hello, stranger." Lavender eyes peered at the stranger, now close enough to see properly. Definitely male, and of a terribly pale color. "I am Strelein, Dauphin of the Court," he announced proudly, though none of his tone hinted at arrogance at his station and fortune of rank. "I come with a gift or two for the Tribe, since I know gifts are welcome wherever they are offered if they're offered with good intent." Strel gestured at his shoulder where the strap of the pack looped around his side. With a bounce, the pack lifted and slipped down his arm into his waiting hand. It was hefted to show the man on horse that he meant what he said. "I'm sure leather and alcohol are welcome, for all reasons."

<style>
.strel-txt {font-family: garamond, georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; word-spacing:1px; margin:0px 25px auto; padding:0px 0px 0px 0px; margin:5px auto; width:75%; text-align:justify;}
.strel-txt .inner {background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/GEuNG.png); background-position:center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border: 0px solid #000; padding 0px 0px 10px 0px; }
.strel-txt .ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto; width:500px;}
.strel-txt b {letter-spacing:1px; letter-spacing:-.05em;text-shadow:#fff 0px 0px 1px;font-family:verdana, garamond, serif; font-size:12px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

WC:292+
XD And poor Teo's at a lost for what he's supposed to be doing.

Dauphin? The title meant nothing to Matteo, as he'd never heard of the Court's ranking system before, but the pride in the man's voice suggested a higher rank. When he offered gifts, Teo hesitated; would Ulilohi approve? Leather was needed; the tribe could always use the extra material, and even if Ulilohi would reject the offer of alcohol, Teo knew a few people in the tribe who would more than appreciate it. Surely accepting a gift couldn't be a bad thing, right?

I'm Matteo Trovato, Kunikoti... er, Medicine Man. He smiled and then dismounted. Jericho stayed put as he approached the fence alone and leaned against it to better view the gifts, not accepting them just yet. I wish I could accept these without hesitation, but you should understand... the tribe's been more careful as of late. He frowned and flicked his tail almost dismissively. I suppose it won't hurt, though. It's very kind of you to offer. The Tribe thanks you.

He smiled again, a soft expression. He'd never done anything like this before. Back in Anathema, he'd welcomed newcomers and new joiners at the borders, but he'd never had to greet someone of another pack. He wasn't even sure what the usual procedure to do so would be, considering the low rank. Still, what harm could come of accepting a kind gift?

Eyes went from the bag to the man holding it. Strelein, huh? The red hair wasn't something Teo was used to and he found it a nice change from the usual white, gray or black. I hope your trip here wasn't too harsh, with the weather being so cold. He spoke more naturally, for a moment, no longer speaking for the tribe but for himself.

<style> .AnaFK-22 .ooc {font-size:10px; font-style:italic;} .AnaFK-22 p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;} .AnaFK-22 b {font-family:verdana; color:#FFF; text-shadow:#000 0px 0px 3px; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;} .AnaFK-22 {background-color:#caccc9; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000; line-height:16px; width:476px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb29 ... uls/20.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:326px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; border-radius:8px; } .AnaFK-22-border {width:478px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:8px;}
.AnaFK-22 p b:before { content: open-quote; } .AnaFK-22 p b:after {content: close-quote; } </style>[/html]
[html]

Just trying to get some last minute posts out of the way c:

The stranger clearly hesitated at the offering, probably unsure of what to make of it. Or maybe to make of him? He was certainly one of the rarer sights to be seen. Few chose to wear clothing as he did and fewer still dyed their hair in such fashions. Especially men. Not that Strel cared very much; he was nothing if not an actor always on display. He dressed for the attention and to stand out. Oh he was terribly proud of himself and the monstrosity he came out as. It was rather thrilling, wasn't it? He didn't even mind the hateful comments he was sure to cause. They could talk badly all they wanted, at least they were still talking about him. It only made him smirk with clear smugness.

"Understandable." His hesitation was clear. Even if he had not been here during the war, he had to have an idea of what had happened. There would be no easy friendships but hopefully every little bit would ease the hurt feelings. Strelein shrugged at the man's frown and comments. "It's for mutual benefit really. I mean, after what had happened I figured that displays of kindness would ease any open wounds." The other man did not take the bag from him nor did he suggest that Strel find the break in the fence and come through. Not that the redhead would dare suggest that he ought to come across the borders. He was familiar with those policies and had no desire to intrude unwanted.

The Dauphin waved the man off with his free hand, giving a coy grin. It was often on his features, long acquired. "It was nothing. I make this trip often enough. Ralla is my sister-in-law and my mate and I took care of her children during the war." And he laughed at the cold, even if his breath gave a light mist before his nose. "It's hard to be cold in my position. Thick fur and cloth make for good insulation." He then shook his head, a light frown dancing on his lips briefly. "I'm just thankful that it hasn't been too freezing and that snow is scarce."

<style>
</style>
[/html]