A Different Time
It had been a couple years since her brother had tried to murder her. Almost three, since the night she'd awoken to see his teeth bared near her throat. He had promised to spare her if she'd fled their home, and Amy hadn't waited for a second chance. She'd turn and run as fast as she could, and had never looked back. Her life had been spent hiding, desperately hoping to not be found by her brother. Many had helped her survive, and she was deeply grateful for that. In thanks for their help Amy helped other unfortunates she came across, even when she herself was struggling.

To be a trader had been her dream, and to a small point she'd been successful. Amy often had furs to trade, but just as often she ran short with no food. She didn't dare to trade in open markets either, fearful of drawing attention. It was the backstreets and places that almost no one roamed Amy plied her trade, living hand to mouth. It was in just one of these kind of places that Amy found herself today, hugging a couple ragged rabbit furs. It was all she had, and hoped that she might be able to get some food with it.
[html]ooc: For the sake of my brain, I'm gonna pretend in this AU that Drakien can speak English... /tired derpWord Count: 287

Drakien spent most of his days in the market. Whether it was trading wares or selling his body for food, one could always find Drakien on the corner, wearing a loose shirt--one that had once belonged to his father, and a pair of denim shorts. His father, being far too weak nowadays to hunt for himself let alone the whole family, so it was up to Drakien to hunt down food. And while he was capable of hunting, he couldn't feed everyone that way. It was better to come down to market and offer services in exchange, whether that be lugging boxes or counting up stock. He was rather good at either, being strongly built and young enough not to have to worry about the ever-present "back problems" of people older than he was.

As he moved through the stalls, peering at anyone who looked like they could use a hand, he couldn't help but catch sight of the blonde dog, clutching at the furs she was trading as though they were a lifeline. Curious, he shifted closer, his head twisting naturally to examine her out of one eye as he came up on her corner. The furs were rabbit, it looked like, though he couldn't tell much else from where he stood; he bet no one else could, either.

With as friendly a smile as he could manage, Drakien came up to her, tucking a long strand of his mane behind his shoulder. "The point of coming to market is selling things, yes? No one can see your wares, honey." He pointed out gently, feeling that perhaps he shouldn't have spoken so boldly but also thinking she needed someone to reach out to her.[/html]

Someone approached her, startling Amy half out of her wits. She gasped, pulling away. Had she finally been found after all these years? She found herself viewing a dark wolf, and her mind blacked out with the image of her brother overtop. It shattered as he spoke though, relieving her. He hadn't been sent to kill her. Calm now she examined him. He was quite strong, she could tell that just by looking, and his eyes held a warm glint that matched those of people who had helped her before.

Timidly she smiled back. I know. I'm just looking for the right place to trade them, that's all. She wasn't about to tell a stranger that Amy was unwilling to openly trade in case the wrong person noticed her. No, she would just stick to the edges of her world, trading where she was likely to go unnoticed and untouched. It might be dangerous at times, but Amy knew if she kept her eyes open there were those that would help her, such as the male before her. She shifted the furs so that they were in one hand, and held out her other. I'm Amy. Her last name was too dangerous for introductions, though she badly wanted to tell someone who she truly was instead of this half lie.
[html]Word Count: 259

The young woman gasped as he approached, and he halted, shifting his weight uncertainly to one foot. He'd never been met with fear before; but she seemed to calm down soon enough, and it seemed she wasn't scared of him, just...someone he could have been. Wary now, and somewhat concerned, he came closer, trying to smile more warmly. It was difficult, though, as he wasn't the most cuddly person; she seemed calmer, though, realizing he wasn't going to hurt her, so he relaxed more into his usual position, his shoulders slumping and his hands sliding into his pockets. It was winter, now, but he still wore shorts; they allowed for easier movement, and with the work he usually did, that was essential.

At her answer, he raised an eyebrow, and then peered more closely at her furs, looking for quality. He knew Old Man Walters down the lane would take furs, no matter how tattered or poorly skinned, and use them for his own purposes. Drakien went there himself, on occasion, when no one was hiring or he'd finished work for the day. Scratching the back of his head curiously, he tilted his head critically and narrowed his eyes. "There's the old man down the street, with the white beard. He'll take anything, and gives food in return." Drakien offered, and then rubbed at his hand on his pants, making sure it wasn't dirty before taking hers and introducing himself. "Drakien. Draien Lusk. Have you been here long, Amy? Market's pretty small, I haven't seen you around before."[/html]

Just as she had thought, the dark wolf was warm and helpful. The place he suggested was perfect. By the sounds of it he didn't pay much attention to who came and went, and the offer of food was perfect. Hopefully she'd get enough to last her a little while. Amy's last meal had been a week ago. While it wasn't necessary to eat regularly to survive, a regular meal pattern of once a day, or a big meal every three days would be welcome. As it was, her body was thinner than it should have been, though her thick fur disguised that.

She took his hand and shook it warmly. Thanks for the advice. I'll head down there then. Amy would have left right then, but he continued the conversation. She hesitated. Drakien seemed very nice, but she didn't have the time for this. Then again, Amy had always believed that kindness should be returned with kindness. She should stick around, chat with this fellow. He had helped her out, after all. The least she could do was give him some company. I just came in today. I've done a lot of traveling, and it's the first time for me at this market. You've been here a while? You certainly know your way around. Her stomach clenched in warning. That could be dangerous, brushing against someone who was so integral to the market scene, especially in one as small as this. What if her brother came here?
[html]Word Count: 226

She shook his hand warmly, and seemed to want to leave shortly after taking his advice, but stayed out of manners, for the sake of polite conversation. He regretted, now, adding that last bit on there, as it was clear she was frightened of being found out--a thief, perhaps?--and didn't want anyone to really know she was here. So he listened to her answer and frowned curiously. Not a thief, it seemed, but a merchant in her own right; so why all the flinching and hesitation? "I live up on the hill, come down nearly every day to help out and earn my keep around here." He answered, and gestured vaguely, though of course his house couldn't be seen from this deep in the marketplace.

Drakien considered her for a moment more, and then stepped back, into the crowd. "Well, if that'll be all, Miss Amy, I suppose I'd better get to work." He didn't want to frighten her, and his very presence seemed to be doing so; it was the least he could do to leave her to her trading, and if she ever came back--perhaps with different goods than furs--he could point her to the others who might give her a deal. But, unless she wanted him to stay, Drakien would force his presence on no one, canine or otherwise.[/html]