something greater than we are.
[html]
This is thread #2 of my current plot grab bag. Please see the link so you know what's going on!

!@#$%Anybody who paid half an ounce of attention to the weather could have seen it coming for days. The grey clouds that had appeared on the horizon advanced like soldiers, swelling and darkening as they approached. The bees, usually so preoccupied with their task of gathering pollen, had sought shelter and did not buzz about this day. In fact, even the birds were strangely silent. There was no doubt about it--a massive storm was on its way.
!@#$%The wind whipped the hair about his face wildly, and eventually he gave up on shooing it out of his eyes as he gazed out across the ocean. It was almost as if the sky and the sea were readying for war with one another--below, the waves rallied together and formed impressive swells, as if trying to intimidate the angry clouds above.
!@#$%All of a sudden, all hell broke loose as a bolt of lightening flashed across the sky. The crack of thunder that accompanied it reverberated so deeply that he could feel the ground shudder beneath his feet. And then, the skies broke loose and began to assault the sea with large drops rain, while the waves took out their frustration by pounding against the cliff on which he stood.
[/html]
[html]
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/p ... work-1.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat;padding-top;0px;background-position:top">
Sirius is three months old and half coyote =o. But he thinks he's 100% wolf. His father is Samael, but the only father that he knows is Pilot Haddon. Sometime during this thread, Anselm could tell him that he thinks he might be part coyote?

Naniko had taken him here once or twice before, when he'd been younger, so he knew this territory well enough to traverse it by himself. He had been out of the den for around a month now, and had gone on all sorts of adventures without her or Pilot there. As he got bigger and bigger he found himself with more and more unanswered questions, though. The thing that had been plauging him lately was the differences between he and Apollo. Not just with their personalities...but with their looks. Sirius was thin, with longer legs and a coppery pelt. His tail wasn't long and bushy, and his muzzle was much more narrow.

He wondered about this as he walked along the shoreline. Sirius didn't mind getting wet, so he paid the clouds overhead no heed as he went, little paws making shallow prints in the sand. He could always make a run for the trees. The young male looked ahead of himself, spotting a small path that led partway out into the ocean. The water wasn't so deep in this area. He climbed across the rocky pathway, getting out to a large boulder that rested at the end, halfway submerged beneath the water, and he sat down, looking out into the water.

Sirius had heard about big animals living inside the water, sharks and stingrays and fish...ones that could eat him in one bite. He crouched down, putting his face closer to the water and looking into the depths. Too dark to tell.

The youngster looked for a while longer before he became bored, turning back to go down the path that he'd come from. But instead of seeing the rocks that he'd lept across to get out to the boulder, his eyes met ocean. Ocean. And more ocean. And now that the storm was picking up, the waves were getting higher and higher. One lifted high enough to splash against the boulder that he sat on, getting his paws, and he jumped at the cold temperature of the water. "Help! Help me, please!"But who would be all the way out here? He felt so stupid. Naniko and Pilot couldn't save him...they were all the way back in Twilight Vale and Shadowed Sun.

[/html]
[html]
Sure!

!@#$%He'd been about to turn and go home--simply because it was close, and he doubted that anybody would be out in this weather, anyway--when Sirius' cries came, muffled by the sound of the wailing wind, crashing waves, and booming thunder. One ear twitched, and with a scowl he glanced around. Through the rain he could make out nothing, and by now he was doubting that he had heard anything at all. Still, he began stalking his way down the coast, eyes glued to the water. Everything seemed to have become a swirl of grey, deep blue, and black.
!@#$%He almost had overlooked him--some tiny puppy, stranded out on a jetti. The rain was enough to make the surface slippery, and the waves were now spilling across the top of the rocky pathway on occasion. For several long moments he simply stared. Come on, kid, get yourself out of there... he thought to himself, the idea to do anything but look on yet to come to him. As far as Anselm could see, if the pup was careful he could still make it back across the path. He could also swim if he fell in. Anselm assumed too much--not everyone had been trained and pressured at the young age he had been.
!@#$%Rather captivated by the situation, he made his way a little closer for a better look at the youth in the distance. So far as he could tell, it was nobody from Inferni, although it did appear to be a hybrid. Humph, strange. Where the heck are the parents? This was not his problem--it was not his responsibility. Still, Anselm hoped that the kid would make it... his eyes widened as a particularly large wave crested and came crashing down towards the jetti.
[/html]
[html]
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/p ... work-1.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat;padding-top;0px;background-position:top">
A shark should definitely come >_> I dunno if they live around here or what, but YES.

The youth was captivated by the waves, his eyes watching as they slowly came closer and closer toward his feet. They just kept getting higher and higher...he didn't know how much longer he'd be able to stay on the rock before they overtook him. Sirius' ears lowered as he thought about this, about going into the water to swim back to shore. It would be the only option left, really...he couldn't see the path any more. He was really afraid of the water.

He was hyperventalating now, breath coming out in short gasps. He was going to get eaten by one of those huge aquatic animals...those shark things that he'd seen pictures of. He had seen pictures of them in books that Naniko had kept on her shelves, and he knew that they lived here.

Sirius was swept off the rock as one large wave came crashing down on it, losing his footing, though his claws scrabbled at the rock surface. He was taken beneath the surface and smashed up against the rock that had previously been serving him as a safe spot before he was finally able to reach the surface. When he broke the surface he filled his lungs with air, as much as he could before he went back under.

[/html]
[html]
Powerplay, let me know if you want me to change it, but I didn't know how else it would work. XD; Feel free to toss in something about a shark if you wish, rofl. I think they go most places, especially in the summer.

!@#$%The kid went under, and moments later Anselm did, too. He couldn't say what drove him, for there was no conscious reasoning involved as he sprinted forward quickly and then plunged into the belligerent waters. The preservation of their species? Maybe. Or could it be that nobody was born evil and malicious, but rather that they all became hardened to the shit they had to face? Time and time again, he'd been taught to ignore his "weaker" emotions, as they usually lead to some kind of hurt. Trust someone and get betrayed? At the very least you come out of it feeling lonesome and discouraged, and at worst dead. Care for somebody else? You open the doors for a world of hurt when they leave or die. It just wasn't worth it. In his experience, most people only cared about themselves, anyway--they'd pick up and take off as soon as it was convenient, regardless of their family or friends' wills.

!@#$%This was different. He was not risking his life here--he was sure of it. Fully shifted and rather powerful, he wasn't intimidated by the waves. The kid hadn't gone out too far, anyway, but he knew if he didn't get there quickly the pup might get drug further out to sea, at which point things would be more dangerous for all parties involved. As such, he moved quickly--one arm went in front of the other again and again, and before long he'd reached the jetti. Clambering onto it, he remained on all fours as the waves continued their assault. They pounded into his chest and sprayed up into his face. Shaking his head, he squinted into the water--where was the boy? Just then, the puppy came up for a breath of air. Aha! Again he jumped into the water, which came up to his chest. Reaching out a hand quickly, he grabbed at the boy where ever he could and then lifted him up over his head away from the waves. Automatically he started to make his way back to the shore.
[/html]
[html]
x3

He could see something coming towards him and he swam blindly toward it, wincing as the salt got into his eyes. He could see a bit, just light and dark from his position beneath the waves, but something big and dark was definitely coming toward him. When he reached the surface again it was nearly toward him. Just when the thing had reached him, though, he felt himself being lifted up into the air by his scruff, out of the ocean.

Water dripped down from his pelt. Sirius halted all squirming as instinct kicked in, his feet folding up and tail curling between his legs. He couldn't turn his head to see what was holding onto him, only hope that it wasn't something that was going to eat him. His lungs were full of water, and he spat some of it out as he was taken to shore. "Lemme...down!! lemme down!" He managed to speak, his voice coming out in a rasp.
[/html]
[html]
Aww, he's so cute. XD;

!@#$%Anselm continued to wade through the waves that constantly pounded against his back. The rain was also annoying, and the moment he reached the shore and the boy started talking to him, he put him down on the ground only for long enough to shake his coat out, then picked him back up loosely in his jaws. "Shut up," he commanded through clenched teeth. What was this? The rain was a cold one, and the seas were ten times worse. Even he felt a bit chilly, and he knew that no matter how much the puppy protested, he would ultimately be happier somewhere dry and warm.

!@#$%As such, he continued to carry him further up the coast on four legs, and finally deposited him for good at the mouth of a small cave. He poked his head inside to make sure that nothing else was taking refuge there, and then back stepped out. Obviously the kid was feeling well enough to talk, so now the hybrid didn't know what to do. Sighing, he began a very smooth and liquid transformation back down to his half-shifted state. There. There would be more room now. Padding quietly to the back wall of the den, he laid down with his back against it and watched the child curiously. It was much more obvious now that Sirius was not a pure wolf, but the stench of rain and salt kept him from identifying a pack scent. "Where do you live?" Simple, to the point.
[/html]
[html]

Sirius couldn't do anything about it, him being carried, so he didn't try to struggle. It was like all of the muscles in his body were automatically relaxed...it felt strangely comforting. He tried not to let it overwhelm him, though...he needed to be on alert. He closed his mouth, though his brow furrowed.

When he was finally let down the young hybrid shook his coat out, nearly toppling over afterwards. "I's a secret agent--I can't tells you. I would has to kill you!" He said it seriously, like it was the sort of information that everyone ought to know. "Where do YOU live?"
[/html]
[html]

!@#$%Mighty ungrateful for someone that almost just drowned, he thought to himself, with a hint of annoyance. His tail flicked behind him and he kept his eyes trained on the puppy. Was this some sort of role playing game? "Well, Mr. Secret Agent, this outlaw ain't spilling shit, either. At any rate, suit yourself. I was going to help you get going in the direction of home, but if you think you can figure it out by yourself, be my guest." He shrugged a little, genuinely unconcerned. He'd done his good deed for the day, and he certainly felt no obligation to persist.

!@#$%Still, at bare minimum he was willing to offer warmth and protection until the storm passed by. Now that he was inside and drying off, he didn't feel particularly inclined to go out again himself. He could just sleep here for the next few hours if he had to. Now didn't that sound like a plan? He lowered his head so that his chin rested upon the floor, and his tail stopped its snake-like movements behind him, coming to rest as it wrapped about his side. His eyes closed, but he didn't drift out of it yet. He'd be a light sleeper in general with somebody (anybody) else so nearby. If the kid had something important to say, he'd hear it.
[/html]
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... ttable.png); background-position: center center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Anselm is like Chuck Norris.

He didn't want to look weak...but he also didn't want Anselm to go to sleep. "Hey. Wake up. I'll talk to you's, okay? Geeeeeesh. Alla you adults and your stupid games.." Sirius frowned, flopping down onto the ground next to the older male. His ears flicked back and forth as he thought, beginning to speak and then quitting again. "I lives in Shadowed Sun."

He didn't want to go home anyway, though, so why did it matter? He just wanted to sit here and hang out. Make a fire. "Can you make a fire?" He asked, curious. Small tremors raced up and down his body now that he wasn't moving around or being carried. If there was a fire, they could both be nice and warm. "I doesn't want to go back home"

[/html]
[html]
XD; Lmfao

!@#$%The boy continued to prattle on, and Anselm's ears moved slightly after each pause in the boy's speech. One eye opened lazily as if to confirm that he was indeed awake, and he stretched slightly and opened his eyes when the younger hybrid told him where he lived. Shadowed Sun. Anselm liked that pack, as far as wolf packs were concerned. Fair enough.

!@#$%"Boy, you think I can make wet sticks burn?" he asked, shaking his head. Anselm was quite capable of making fire from raw materials, and even more so if he had access to a lighter or a match, but the truth of the matter was that everything outside was soaked. The leaves were soaked, the dead sticks on the ground were soaked--it would be almost impossible to make a fire unless they found some dry fuel. Other than that, the den didn't seem large enough to house both them and a fire.
!@#$%"Just sit closer if you're cold," he suggested, moving over approximately a centimetre. He was already against the wall, but the subtle gesture was meant to seem inviting. He certainly wasn't sure how he'd react if anybody came along and caught him cuddling up with a random puppy--but fuck it. "Got any family around here?" he wondered idly, trying to come up with conversation topics that a child could handle. "Certainly look like you've got some mixed lines," he mused further.
[/html]
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... ttable.png); background-position: center center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

"My father leads Shadowed Sun. Pilot. At least...I thinks he's my father." He had been thinking about that a lot, actually. As he was growing Sirius was noticing things. Like...how big Apollo was getting, compared to him. Both pups were small, as they'd been born prematurely, but it was obvious that his brother was going to be much larger than him in the end. Sirius didn't understand how something like that could happen, if they both had the same mother and father. How could they look so different?

"I thinks my father is really a coyote. My mother died...in the fire. I can't ask her." He took the offer of warmth, ignoring Anselm's remarks about wet sticks. It really was warmer when they were together, and he leaned into the fur that surrounded him with unspoken gratitude and a small sigh. "Are you mixed?"

[/html]
[html]

--

"That's quite perceptive of you," he noted, tone not mocking at all. Wasn't it unusual for young kids to be so self-aware? He had to give Sirius some credit there--and also for taking it like a champ, it seemed. No bawling, no monumental depression--Anselm had sometimes wondered what it would be like to lose a parent. He felt horrible for thinking it of the woman that gave birth to him, but sometimes he wondered if she hadn't been around if he could have passed for a full wolf. Maybe things would have been different... better. Wasn't it sort of what happened to Sirius?
His eyes closed again as the pup drew in close, and he instinctively curled himself around the young boy. "Yeah; I am. I've got my father's build, though, and even my mother was only about half coyote. You certainly look like you might have a bit more than what I have in you." He frowned. "Doesn't anyone else in your pack know? Doesn't Pilot?" It seemed that parents--adopted or otherwise--ought to be on top of such things. Given, he might just be taking it for granted that an adult would provide an honest response.
[/html]
[html]

"He doesn't like talking about her" Sirius had tried to ask about Dierdre before, but the look on Pilot's face had kept him from ever talking about her again. He wanted to know so much, though, that he wasn't sure if he could handle -not- knowing. Was his mother a good mate? Were they in the same pack? How did they meet? And what was her lineage? He knew that there were a lot of different kinds of wolves out there...even a few that looked a little like coyotes. Red wolves. Maybe she had some red wolf in her?

He thought about what Anselm had said again. "No one from my pack knowed her very well. I could ask Nani, maybe...she might know. She was there when Mom had me and my brother. He's big and white, my brother Apollo, much bigger than me." He was getting sleepy, now, and his speech slowed down a little as he tried to stay focused on talking. "Polly will be a...big wolf"

[/html]
[html]

Huzzah. Objectives accomplished, I suppose? :o

It seemed odd to him that Pilot wouldn't want to discuss a wolf that died in the fire. Usually, everyone avoided such topics when there was something especially traumatic involved--in this case, the fire couldn't really be helped (or so he figured--he was still ignorant of Gabriel's role in the event, and so it would remain, if for no other reason than that everyone would be kept in the dark regarding this horrible secret). Also, it had been months ago. Shouldn't the stages of grief have progressed significantly since then?
As Sirius continued to explain the situation, he nodded slightly (or really twitched his head) and made the occasional "hn" sound. He really couldn't offer many suggestions here--things seemed a little funky, but who was he to say? Anselm didn't like to make statements that had no support (unless he was flat out lying, but in this case there was nothing to be gained by doing so). There were simply too many variables involved.
"Well, if anybody knows the difference they'll tell you when they're ready. I'm sure you could help them with this by showing that you're ready to discuss it... they might be afraid of getting you upset." He shrugged a little. "Although it's good that you're not. Just remember, stressing about it and dwelling it won't change anything, and it'll only make you get stuck in the past." Words of wisdom, spoken by a criminal.
[/html]