There is just one thing
[html] Artemis Smile

Oak leaned up against the thick trunk, legs out before him and paws crossed at the ankle. He sat idly, the small amount of snow beneath the tree whisked away so that he could relax and work comfortably. The deer hide was laid across his lap, the dagger he had traded for at the market place working to hid the skin of any stray fibers from the beast that had once lived inside it. He worked halfheartedly. He knew that it was important to use all that they gathered from the deer they hunted, but the task was a bit too particular for him, he enjoyed the tracking, stalking and the planning of the kill. Oak even took a bit of pleasure in the exhilaration that came to him in the chase. The kill itself was the most "necessity" he felt in the whole process, the prepping of the hide was still second to that.

Giving a huff he rose and placed the deer skin to dry on the tree's branch, figuring that he had done the best job he would be able to. The cold would stiffen it, the winter dry air draw out any of the moisture inside. He needed to find a friend that could tan and make real use out of the hides, but for now they would be able to make something out of it. He shrugged, perhaps he could trade a few to a tanner at the market place for something smaller and already ready for wear.

Picking up the knife the rust and black specked male made his way towards the pack's center and the porch of the Manor. His stomach was full, he smelled of lingering blood and prey and his mind had been worked thoroughly by the skinning complications. Figuring that he done enough work for one day the male wondered if his brother was around, perhaps he wanted to venture back to the winter festival.

[/html]
[html]

347 words.

Since she had taken to the idea of learning how to tend to injuries and heal wounds, Artemis had been doing more reading than she could ever remember doing in her life. It had never been a hobby of hers, and though she could read in two languages, it had simply never been her favorite thing to do. Now, though, she knew it was necessary because otherwise, she could not learn how to heal properly. Experience was good, like the bit of it that she got with the coyote woman, Aeron, of Anathema. However, it was good to have a technical knowledge of how to help others when they were injured, and so she had found as many books in the library on healing as she could. It was probably not a secret anymore that she wanted to become a medic, but she still did not know how her older sisters felt about it. She really hoped that they would not be upset.

She closed the book in her lap, tilting her head back onto the couch behind her and closing her eyes. She sat on the floor in front of the piece of furniture, enjoying the warmth of the fire in the hearth, her legs crossed and slowly going numb from sitting in one position for such a long time. With a sigh, Artemis rose, stretching her legs in the process, attempting to shake off the tingling feeling that shot up both of her lower limbs. She stretched her arms out above her head, dropping the book on the couch cushions, yawning loudly. Tossing her head back, she tousled her long, curly hair, allowing her body to fully relax after cramping up so much.

The smell of blood permeated the air, though it was not a fear-inducing smell of wolf blood, but rather, the blood of a prey animal. Artemis turned curiously, but there was no one outside, and so she walked to the door, opening it with an easy-going gesture. “Oh, hey, Oak,” she said, seeing him as he approached. “How are you?”

<style type="text/css">
.missatrans001 b {font-weight:bold; color:#000000; letter-spacing:1px; }
.missatrans001 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.missatrans001 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.missatrans001 {margin:0px auto; width:450px; background-color:none; background-image:url(http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... cstars.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:none; padding: 15px 0px 15px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

The autumn hued male was between thoughts when the slight silver female appeared. She held the door open and stood in it’s frame, soft feminine voice speaking a casual greeting. Oak looked up at the sound, catching sight of her and pausing in an instant. Though he was surprised at the first second, in the next his form eased and relaxed, a smile coming to his face. Artemis. He spoke with a slight and polite nod. I’m well. That was suddenly the truth as she stood before him, her presence taking him from one mood and transplanting him into another.

The male stepped to the side, allowing her to exit as she wished to do before he had stood in her path. He reached out, placing a dark furred hand onto the door to ease her of the weight in a gentlemanly way. I hope you are just as well. His smile did not fade. In his mind he envisioned the last time he had seen her, it was at the pack meeting. She had seated herself right beside his brother, or it had been the other way around and Cypress had chosen a spot beside her. Regardless she hadn’t been seemed annoyed by it, and even sat closer to the dark muddy hued brother. Jealous of the female’s attention? Not at all, it simply made him exceptionally curious.

It’s a lovely day today. He commented, his blue eyes looking out to the clean winter sky. His eyes glanced back at the female.

[/html]
[html]

Oak seemed momentarily surprised, but he did not seem unhappy to see her, and the silver female smiled warmly. Anu's sons had always meant more to her than simply pack mates, and Artemis enjoyed spending time with them. She did not know if any of them knew it, but she had even been there when they had been born, though she had been shunted back into the main room of the manor and had not been given the opportunity to watch her would-be friends be born. That was probably for the best, of course; she had been far too young to witness something like that, after all. She had merely been very, very curious as a pup.

"I am, thanks," she said, stepping out onto the porch with him. She lifted one hand to shield her eyes before turning her nose up, looking at the bright sky and breathing in the fresh air. The smell of blood lingered, but she was not worried, for she knew it was not Oak's blood. The book inside lay forgotten as she realized she did not spend enough time outside anymore. "I hope it stays nice like this, and we don't get another storm this year," she replied, thinking of the devastation she had only known of because of her mother telling her. Soft blue eyes looked at Oak curiously, wondering if he remembered the storm of the previous winter at all. He probably did, she figured.

<style type="text/css">
.missatrans001 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.missatrans001 {margin:0px auto; width:450px; background-color:none; background-image:url(http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... cstars.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:none; padding: 15px 0px 15px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Intently the male watched her. Though he had grown up beside the children of Savina and Kansas, his bond with any of them had not gone beyond a simple friendship. Indeed, they were more then just pack mates. More then just a drifter looking for acceptance and then finding that their lifestyles did not mesh with that of the Dreamers. They were constants. He blamed himself for the distance that held him away from his brother, as well as the others around him. Thankfully Anu would not allow her son to be a mere shadow in the pack. She had drawn him back into the folds, and Oak found stability in purpose.

Oak nodded, finding that he felt the very same. So do I. This winter has been a gift. He replied, mouth curling into a small smile. He found her presence calming, his previous need to exploration and the antsy unease lifted. Would you like to take a walk with me? He asked, face turning a bit inquisitive. He wondered many things about the light colored female, her blue eyes paler then the hue he shared with his brother and dam and her mane a wave of silvers and sapphires. Perhaps some of his curiosities would be eased, if not at least the beautiful would not be wasted held up in Haven Manor.

[/html]
[html]

Sorry for the wait :< I know I suck

It truly was a gift compared to the previous winter; Artemis could do nothing but keep that in the back of her mind. The previous winter had unleashed horrors upon her and the entire pack that she hoped never to see again, figuratively, of course, as she had not seen most of what had happened. It had been the aftermath that she saw, the way that her mother's heart broke over Denali's death and her own denial of such things, and the gruesome happenings when the murderer was given allowance to stay here with her actions unknown.

The silver-painted Italian smiled, giving a small nod. "I'd like that," she said, tone laced with the romanticism of the accent she inherited from her mother. "Where would you like to walk?" Her normal haunt was the lake, but perhaps somewhere different would make a nice change. It was sad to see the waters frozen in places and looking so lonely. Somewhere else would make a nice change, she thought.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]you don't suck! I <3 you

They walked side by side, and Oak found that he enjoyed her presence. Though their conversation had only skirted the surface, Oak could sense that there was something deeper in the realms that surrounded the silver Marino. She held the light hue of her father, and the tawny markings on her Uncle. But she was simply something beyond the normal patterns of her family. Oak had always wondered where the red of his own color came from, for neither his father nor his mother had an ounce of the crimson tinge. Anu claimed it was his Grandfather’s color, and that he had fiery accents along his large pelt. But Oak would never see it himself.

The caves are not far, or we could walk along the lake. He gave his suggestion, his arm wrapped behind him and his fingers entwined. It was up to Artemis where they wandered off to. His tail wagged behind him gently, curious to know in which direction they should head off to. If she were more adventurous it would certainly be the caves, and if she wished to stick to a more familiar area it would certainly be the lake.

[/html]
[html]
♥ I don't normally switch tables mid-thread, but I love this too much not to!

"I spend too much time by the lake," she mused, the answer indirect. It was true, of course. Nearly all of her free time when she was outside of the manor was spent sitting on the shores, breathing in the fresh scent of the water, resting her toes in it when the weather permitted. The winter had brought a frozen surface to the lake that saddened her greatly. Seeing her beloved water frozen in time, trapped beneath a thick layer of glass, dampened her spirits in ways that being near the water normally would not.

As much as she had found herself adventuring when she was young, she did not recall ever seeing the caves. There were many parts of the territory she simply had never visited, like the village that the bicolored, disloyal male and his family had lived in during their time here. "I think I'd like to see the caves. I never have," she admitted, giving him the ability to lead the way.

<style type="text/css">
.missymarc1-box {width:243px;height:288px;float:right;}
.missymarc1 b {font-weight:bold; color:#ffffff; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; }
.missymarc1 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.missymarc1 {margin:0 auto; width:90%; max-width:700px; background-color:#d5cbd9; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/90X2S.png); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #61606a; padding: 10px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#61606a; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
</style> [/html]
[html]Big Grin!

Happy to do so and knowing it well, Oak turned and stepped into the right direction that would lead the pair to the caves with a smile and without a word. He was happy to be in Artemis' company, no matter what direction they went in. He thought back to the pack meeting, how the silvery fey and his dark tawny brother interacted so closely. The question of their friendship was sill in the forefront of his mind, but the russet tones Dreamer did not know how to form the words. Yet.

Instead he let the path speak to them both, a bit of silence setting between them as they walked. The pack’s landscape was a beautiful creature no matter where they wandered. It had to have been one of the reasons for their mother’s to settle and more importantly, stay in the area. Do you like the water? Oak asked, his words cutting the quiet. They came softly at first, piercing it gently and so not to startle any listeners. You said you spend a lot of time at the lake.

Though they were heading in one direction the male wished to ease his curiosity about another. The caves were a fair walk away, and it could do well to eat away at his wish to get to know her better. Blue eyes glanced over to the female as she walked beside him, ready to listen to what she had to say.

[/html]
[html]
Thank you for always being so patient, Ilu <3 <3

As they walked, Artemis drank in the scenery, soaking up the warmth that seemed to simply radiate from the ground of their beautiful home. So many had left in the past few months, but the silver-painted girl could hardly imagine wanting to do that, let alone actually doing it. This was the only home she had ever known, true, but she had no desire to ever know another. She was a Dreamer at heart, certainly. It seemed that nothing would change that, and she was not looking for something that would.

Pale ears turned towards the question, soft blue eyes finding her companion's, a sharper shade than her own. "I do," she said with a smile, "quite a bit, actually. I spent a lot of time there after... Well, when I wanted to be alone. It didn't take long for some wolves to figure out that they could find me there." Her tone was light, cheerful and airy, despite the near mention of her accident and Denali's death, things that overlapped in her mind as one event. The lake had been her comfort then; it was her enjoyment now.

"What do you do when you aren't with your mother?" Artemis knew that both of the elder woman's sons in the pack spent quite a bit of time with their mother. More, she hated to admit, than she had ever spent with her own. Perhaps that was because there were more Marino children.

<style type="text/css">
.missymarc1 b {font-weight:bold; color:#ffffff; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; }
.missymarc1 {margin:0 auto; width:90%; max-width:700px; background-color:#d5cbd9; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/90X2S.png); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #61606a; padding: 10px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#61606a; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
</style> [/html]
[html]ilu! and like this thread :3

Blue eyes moved from the Dreaming landscape to the pale female’s face as she replied. The world was changing, and it felt as if the war had been the catalyst. Around them packs grew, as theirs dwindled to the faithful few. Trade between them all blossomed and the Dreamers simply wished to live in peace and allow their families to grow. Yet those things were feeling impossible. He saw the hurt in his mother’s eyes when she spoke of the days when their ranks swelled, when members threw themselves in front of perspective adversaries simply to ensure the health of the pack. He knew she wished for that loyalty once again, and Oak would give it to her.

When she spoke, the change in the direction of her words obvious Oak instantly thought that she spoke of the war. He remembered her fall, and the death of Denali. But he had been young and those tragedies were not a burned in his memory as the conflict with AniWaya was. But he did not allow the conversation to divert towards it, picking up on her lighthearted tone. He did not wish to spoil his time with the female with talk of the past. That’s where I’ll look then. He replied, a smile ending the sentence as he looked at the blue eyed female.

Her question was one he hadn’t expected, his surprise evident on his face. It was not a negative shock, more simply something he had never been asked before. Oak thought her bold and amusing for phrasing it that way. I like to hunt, He stated, his smile returning. and meet members of the other packs. Relationships with them have never been more important. Loners too. He believed that if they were to survive it would be through the relationships that they built with their neighbors. There are many new faces out there, they need to know who we are. Perhaps it would prevent what had happened, if they had only shown their strength outright…

[/html]
[html]
:<

The silver-painted girl felt a short wash of surprise, followed by warmth spreading from her cheeks, at the suggestion that he would look for her at the lake. Artemis would not have expected anyone to go looking for her specifically, not even her family. The Marino-Sadira wolves were a closely knit family, but lately, in the absence of some of them and with changes for the ones left in the pack, it seemed they had grown apart. Though it came as a small surprise, the blue-eyed Dreamer found she was not at all bothered by the idea of him seeking her out. She felt herself smiling in spite of the surprising nature of the words.

She nodded at the last sentence; it seemed all too unfortunate that there were packs that did not know them, one of the longest standing packs in the area. "Meet anyone interesting?" she asked, her tone light-hearted as she thought about her few excursions from the pack's lands. It was with shame that she recalled the most notable (in her mind, of course) time she had ventured outside of the pack's lands. It had been so soon after waking and finding out that Denali was dead, and she had almost gotten into a fight with a coyote. Since then, she had tended to stay close to home.

<style type="text/css">
</style> [/html]
[html] Wink

She smiled, a reaction that gave him a bit of confidence. He had not be unsure about his words, but the positive reaction caused the male to grow more certain around her as they walked. The landscape turned from wooded to meadow to forest as they wandered along, their thoughts centered on their conversation and on one another. He was sure that he enjoyed her company, and was growing more and more curious to know what her relationship with Cypress was. He was his brother of course, it was only natural to want to know who his friends were.

Her question caused Oak to return to his visit to the winter festival, and to the wanderings of the free lands. Loners, and a few merchants at the festival. I traded a doe for this carved dagger. He took the blade from his thin belt and paused in his step in case she wished to look at it. The sun carving on one side reminded him of the stories his mother had once told him as a pup, and the other side, a thick tree spoke of his own self.

Interesting though? … Its hard to compete with home. He looked up from the blade to the gray and silver woman with a small smile. You should learn to fish. he commented, but then back tracked quickly in the hopes he did not offend her, If you don’t know already. You may like it…

[/html]