Chasing a Dream
Preferred Rank: Traditional
Currently Played Characters: Dara
Initial Post:
The morning sun rose quickly, shining rays of light into the face of the sleeping wolf. The she-wolf opened her oddly colored eyes, blinking multiple times to try and get use to the sun. Her eyes were silver around the edges and faded into a dark blue in the center. The gold flecks in them make the blue seem much darker than they actually are. She ran a clawed hand through her fur, realizing that she has fallen asleep in her Optime form. Her back was stiff from sleeping sitting up, but having a safe place to sleep was worth a little back pain.

Dara moved carefully, for she was in a tree. Dara found that sleeping in trees protected her from animals that liked to roam in the night. She shifted slightly, swinging her feet to the middle of the forking branches she has rested in. Gently, and groggily, she climbed down the twenty feet that she was in the air. When she was four feet from the ground she jumped, landing clumsily to the ground. "Why did I do that?" she whispered to herself. "I know better than to do that right after I wake up." She shook her head, clearing the sleep from her mind. She closed her eyes and breathed deep, inhaling the fresh forest air. Exhaling slowly, she opened her eyes and ran a paw over her mane. It was flat to her head. She growled and walked around the trunk of the tree, looking for broken branches. She didn't find any, but instead found a knot in the tree, sap seeping from the bulge in the wood. She ran her hands in the sap, covering her fingers. Quickly and effortlessly, she spiked up the mane. She searched for a puddle, finding a small one on the side of the dirt path she was following. Examining herself, she nodded approvingly and washed of her fingers in the water.

"Well, as long as I'm in this form, I might as well travel in it," she said, talking out loud just to break the morning silence that the morning birds hadn't broken yet. She shifted her bag to a more comfortable spot, and started to walk. "How much longer will I have to travel?" she muttered. "This pack shouldn't be far from here." She walked purposefully, but not very quickly. Her suspicions were right, for soon her nose caught the smell of a scent marked border. She stopped three feet from the border. The sun had risen a good deal in the time it took her to walk from her resting spot to the border. It was mid-morning now, and the sun was bright. Nervously, she let out the loudest howl she could, knowing that was the only way she could get the attention of any leadership of the pack. Dara took the deep breathe. A new life begins now, if she's accepted. "Hopefully, I am," she whispered.
[html]

Word Count → 518

Hello, please don't mind Hotaru. She's just grumpy.

The day wasn't particularly unusual, although the lack of snow on the ground was rather refreshing. Whenever a heavy snow storm came Hotaru would have to spend a good portion of her time trying to remove the snow from her favorite carving bolder and the bench she had built. It was a painstaking task, and one the grey wolf didn't really enjoy. However, if she wanted to carve outside such care was necessary. The only problem with the lack of snow was the muddy ground. Hotaru had found out early on that walking around in mud was an absolutely terrible ordeal. It was easy to slip on and made no recognizable noise for her staff so she had no way of knowing how deep the mud was or where the puddles were.

Not one who was easily deterred, Hotaru had decided to venture out that morning as she usually did. Her mental map of the pack lands and the surrounding forest was near perfect and Hotaru didn't really use her staff as often as she had when she first arrived. She simply let the staff hang in the air above the mud and soil, and would swing it back and forth slowly to make sure she didn't run into anything too obvious. Fawkes, as usual, was flying just above her as he weaved in and out of the trees. Occasionally the red tailed hawk would stop to perch on a branch or would fly off in some random direction only to return a few minutes later. He, like Hotaru, had grown used to the woods and felt quite at home in it's protective embrace.

What had started out as a normal day, changed very quickly as an unknown voice traveled over the lands. Hotaru's ears twitched at howl, it called out to the pack leaders. Hotaru didn't know what to do. She wasn't a leader, but she was nearby. Should she answer the stranger's call? In the end, Fawkes made the decision for her as the sound of his wing beats headed for the newcomer. Hotaru sighed as she followed her companion to go see what the stranger wanted.

It wasn't long before the smell of a strange wolf filled Hotaru's nostrils, the smell of a loner to boot. The same musky and earthy smells alway hung off of loners, and the absence of other canine scents added to their unique smell. Fawkes had arrived ahead of Hotaru and called out to the grey female when she reached the boarders. Fawkes had found a perch in a tree that resided just on the edge of the boarder. His large eyes examined the stranger, he wasn't too worried about her. Hotaru stood, her blank eyes staring out into the world while her sensitive ears stood tall and alert. "This is the boarder for Cercatori d'Arte. I am Hotaru, the Immaginazione. Please state your business or intent." Her voice was relatively polite, although her normally polite smile was more of a neutral expression. Hotaru wasn't one to be rude, but the mud had put her in less than happy mood.

Quote by: Maurice Freehill

<style type="text/css">
.character-HotaruBlind b {font-weight:bold; color:#FFD700 ; letter-spacing:1px; }
.character-HotaruBlind .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.character-HotaruBlind p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.character-HotaruBlind {margin:0px auto; width:450px; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/ZWce2.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 353px 0px 5px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#DCDCDC; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
Dara had zoned out while waiting for anyone to show up. Her attention perked back up when a red tailed hawk flew and landed on a nearby branch. Dara then saw the grey wolf that was walking toward her. Dara quickly averted her eyes to the ground and pulled her ears to half mast. Her tail lowered a great deal. She knew this wolf was one of a high position. She listened to the wolf speak.

Dara sighed quietly. Her nose was filled with the scent of this new wolf and the bird. The smell was overwhelming to a point. She shook it off. "I am Dara Silver Moon and my intent is to join this pack," Dara said. Her voice did not come out as strong as she would have liked. but it did not come out softly. It came out very submissive, an oddity to Dara. She had put the most respect she could into the short sentence. She wanted to show her respect to the blind wolf. She knew that her voice would have to do the talking, even though she still had to keep a submissive air about her.
[html]

Word Count → 540

out of character text

It was awkward for Hotaru to greet someone who wanted to join the pack. What the grey wolf had hoped to be a simple business call had turned into a loner requesting to join the pack. This was her first time greeting someone interested in becoming a pack member. Not to mention her own initiation was not that long ago and she had only managed to claim an intermediate rank. The memories of Hotaru's first interaction with the pack were a sore spot of her past. She still felt the pain of being left in the pack lands by Cain and had been extraordinarily lucky to not have been chased away like the trespasser that she was. Hotaru was thankful that her she was well versed in the art of hiding her emotions as she just barely managed to keep a strait face.

As was her custom, Hotaru crossed her right arm over her chest and allowed the left elbow to sit on top of her arm. She let her fingers touch her mouth slightly as her head bowed in thought. What was the proper procedure for that type of situation? The strange wolf was very polite, and her voice was filled with submission and respect. Something the blind wolf was actually glad to hear. It was not often that people submitted to her, despite the fact that she acted so dominant. Most underestimated her too much to submit to her, and if anything were uncomfortable with her presence. It felt refreshing to Hotaru to have someone show her respect.

After a minute of intensive thought Hotaru lifted her head and allowed her arms to drop. "Unfortunately, I can not accept you into the pack. Realize this is no fault of your own, I am simply do not have the power. However, please excuse me while I call for one of the packs leaders who does have the ability to let you into our pack." Hotaru kept her voice steady and polite despite the butterflies that had accumulated in her stomach.

After saying her piece, Hotaru inclined her head in a slight bow before raising her muzzle to the sky. She didn't call out to anyone in particular, just someone who was of high enough rank to greet the prospective joiner. However, the grey wolf was unable to hide her nervousness in her voice as she howled. Hiding her true feelings from her voice or actions was easy, however for some reason she could never hide them when she howled or sang. They always came through as clear as day.

When her song was done, Hotaru returned to her neutral position and acted as if her worries weren't there at all. Calmly, the blind wolf spoke again. "It may take some time for the leaders to join us. So in the mean time how about we relax with some friendly conversation. Why don't you tell me a little about yourself. However, if the subject is a sore one then we can pursue happier matters." Hotaru knew from experience that speaking about oneself was not always pleasant. Besides it wasn't like she had any say in deciding whether the loner was accepted or not, so such matter's were trivial to her.

<style type="text/css">
.character-HotaruBlind b {font-weight:bold; color:#FFD700 ; letter-spacing:1px; }
.character-HotaruBlind .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.character-HotaruBlind {margin:0px auto; width:450px; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/ZWce2.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 353px 0px 5px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#DCDCDC; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
welcome! Smile

The female was in high spirits; she knew that the pack's numbers were low, but she was confident that they would be able pull through in these hard times, especially now that they were back to creating. The boat had been a success - although it may look shoddy and unprofessional, with a little paint and effort, it could be something beautiful indeed. And despite its downfalls, it did float, and it did sail - and that was all that mattered to the alpha of Cercatori d'Arte.

Her mind was snapped from such thoughts when she heard a howl coming from the borders; the tone of the voice told her that it was not a voice from the artisan pack, but of a different creed; as Skye began to walk towards the area in her Luperci form, she heard another howl soon - this one was more familiar, and Skye placed it as belonging to Hotaru, a blind yet respected and cherished member of the pack. Skye knew that Hotaru was slightly reserved, but she valued her nonetheless, and wondered what lay for her to see at the borders; perhaps one decided to join the small pack now?

Skye smelled the two women before she saw them; one smelled of Cercatori d'Arte; it was the Immaginazione, Hotaru. The other had no scent but the scent of wolf - this must mean that she was a loner. Breaking through the trees and bushes, Skye soon found herself face to face with Hotaru and the loner; the first thing she observed was the loner's position, which was very submissive. Skye appreciated this - while she did not demand submission from her members or even of joiners, unless they were arrogant or rude, she was glad to see Hotaru paid with the respect that any loner should have for a member of her pack, particularly one that was highly ranked. She turned to the blind woman first and dipped her head in greetings. "Greetings, Hotaru," she said. She then looked to the loner, warmth in her eyes. "I see we have a loner here at our borders?"

<style type="text/css">
.freebjuly13 b {font-weight:bold; color:#e9f2f9; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #7f96b6;}
.freebjuly13 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.freebjuly13 {margin:0 auto; width:415px; background-color:#81acc1; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... july13.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #2d586d; padding: 150px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#2d586d; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #;letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
000+
[/html]
Dara was glad to her the blind wolf call for a higher ranked official. "Time is no object," Dara said gently. Her gaze still looked away from the wolf. She has seen the color only and knew it was beautiful nonetheless. "I am a young wolf, only a year old. I have been traveling with my brother and godfather since our pack was killed in a raid," Dara's voice shook a little on the last words of the sentence.

"I couldn't take the instability of the constant traveling with the two males. So I left, traveling for this pack. I have heard of this pack as an artistic pack. The arts are something I admire. I pride myself on my ability to read and write in the languages of French, English, and German," Dara said, just naming random facts that would take up time until the higher ranked official came. "I am also bisexual, which I hope has no hindrance on my acceptance," she finished uneasily. Many wolves do not accept her because of this small fact. Her voice held the same respect for the blind wolf, even after she know she was not one that could accept her in the pack.

Dara looked up at the bird, an object that had caught her attention since it first landed. Finally, she heard the rustling of the bushes. Another female wolf appeared inside the borders. Dara's gaze wandered to the feet of the wolf, still keeping her submissive stance. "Yes, I wish to join the pack," Dara answered the question gently, not knowing if it was directed at the blind wolf of herself.
[html]

Word Count → 409

Feel free to skip over Hotaru if you feel it is necessary.

Just as she had expected, Dara's story was not a happy one. Although, the grey woman was secretly happy that Dara had decided to trust Hotaru with the tale. The older wolf stood and listened politely as Dara talked about herself and her unfortunate family. It was clear to Hotaru that Dara was young, her voice still held a puppy like tone although her words told wisdom beyond her years. However, Hotaru never expected Dara to be only a year old. The realization took the older wolf back a bit as she thought about how the older puppy could be integrated into the pack. To be alone at such a tender age was never fun, and it must be very intimidating for her to face such an outwardly confident and dominant wolf like Hotaru.

When Dara talked about her sexuality, Hotaru's mind drifted towards Light. A small frown touched her lips as she thought about the hunter. Hotaru quickly dismissed the thoughts and the young wolf's concerns with a wave of her hand. "You sexuality is of no consequence or concern. All that matters to me is your character, which you have definitely shown. You are very brave to travel by yourself at such a young age and..." Hotaru stopped, her ear's flicking to the side as she listened to approaching footsteps. Darn the mud, it was difficult to make out who the stride belonged to. However, the Capitana's smell soon reached her nose and Hotaru relaxed a little.

The blind wolf did not see Skye's bow, however Hotaru out of respect inclined her head when the leader greeted her. "Good Morning Skye." Once again, the grey wolf's thoughts turned to custom and procedure. Should she introduce the longer, should she step back and be quite, or should she leave? Once again, the decision was made for her when Dara answered Skye's question. Hotaru nodded her head before saying. "Skye, may I introduce Dara Silver Moon, a young linguist. Dara, this is the pack's Capitana Skye." Skye was one of the few wolves that Hotaru held in high regard. It wasn't that she looked down her nose at every other canine, in fact she tried her best to be polite to others. Hotaru just felt like the young leader deserved her respect and admiration, something the blind wolf did not often give out.

With her piece said, Hotaru stepped back to allow the process to move smoothly and efficiently.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Although she had no doubt that Hotaru, with her improved sense of smell, scented Skye before she entered the clearing, she couldn't help but overhear some of the exchanged words, including those about the female wanting to join. She heard a bit of her sad tale and the fears that her sexuality would impair her joining; Skye ignored this, as personal preference of any kind save the dangerous kind (such as Liam's preference to kill black wolves) did nothing to help or hinder acceptance into her pack.

She noted how submissive and seemingly timid the wolf who wished to join was; she appreciated it greatly, however. In the back of her mind remained Liam, who had joined Cercatori d'Arte as just a young wolf such as Dara, as Hotaru introduced her as, but Skye shook such thoughts from her mind - she could not be afraid of every joiner, every loner who crossed past the borders. She refused to let past experiences cloud her judgment; Argul she had never known well or accepted to see his true nature, and Liam himself was too young to be seen as a character who would kill. But this young wolf did not show signs of a killer or of a criminal; as she overheard Hotaru say, she was brave to travel alone for so long, and her submissive demeanor at the time only endeared her to Skye. To turn such a young wolf away after leaving her small family who had fled from a massacre would be next to a crime itself.

The next words Skye heard piqued her interest - a linguist, it seemed, which was a great skill in a pack of merchants and artists. She smiled at the female, who seemed slightly nervous; now she wished to calm her down. "A linguist, and one who loves art as well - I have not seen many who traveled so young across the lands," she said. Not including herself, she noted; she remembered her encounters before meeting Shawchert. "And it would be a shame to turn down one who showed such determination - and skill," she added. "Welcome to Cercatori d'Arte, Dara," she said, the pack's name rolling off her tongue as naturally as any word she'd written or said, and her expression warm and welcoming. Her position was no longer sharply dominant but more relaxed while remaining authoritative; she wished to calm the female now, and Hotaru as well, who seemed slightly agitated when she had arrived.

<style type="text/css">
.freebjuly13 b {font-weight:bold; color:#e9f2f9; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #7f96b6;}
.freebjuly13 {margin:0 auto; width:415px; background-color:#81acc1; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... july13.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #2d586d; padding: 150px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#2d586d; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #;letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
000+
[/html]
Welcome to Cercatori d'Arte!Site - Rules - Ranks

Hello, and welcome to Cercatori d'Arte! You've just joined one of the many fantastic packs in the world of Souls; based on trade and good relations, this pack is perfect for a soul looking for a friendly place to stay - so welcome to the family! Some things you might want to check out in this unique pack are:

___1. Check out the pack game, where you can earn points to get cool titles and icons!
___2. Read up on the information about the ranks and co-ranks so you can advance in the pack!
___3. Look at the territory map so you can get a feel for the territory of Cercatori d'Arte and choose a house in Thornbury for your character to live in if you want!

If you don't know where to start posting, you can check out the thread requests forum or the open threads! You can also create or join an all welcome thread for some IC fun. Why not also start plotting with other members and begin a fun plot or activity that people can enjoy and experiment with?

Dara smiled brightly, and stepped into the pack boarders. Her ears stayed at half mast, but her tail raised a little more than she has kept it earlier. The feeling of having a constant place to live, and a home was wonderful, beautiful. Dara looked to the blind wolf, knowing she couldn't see her. "You called me a 'linguist'. I have never heard that term before. What does it mean? What is your role in the pack as well, if you don't mind me asking. I hope I don't seem rude to ask," Dara's voice held so much curiosity that she sounded like a pup still to herself, though she probably was still a pup in the eyes of the two older females. She curiously watched the grey wolf.

"Also, I am curious about any actual 'homes' in the pack. I would love to live in one if I could, and also possible set up an area to teach the others to write or read basics," Dara kept going, the confidence increasing her voice, knowing that she was among wolves the accepted her as she was. Her mind kept rolling around the ideas of having many of the wolves able to read or write. She knew she was a dreamer on the idea, but she liked to have goals.

The empty books in her bag was just itching for her to take it out and sketch what she saw, and write about the new lands she was in. Her coal wanted her to draw the confidence in the two older wolves, to show the elegance in the way they moved, to show the pride they each had. She saw so many opportunities to increase her skills and learn from the wolves around her. Her gaze had been wandering for sometime, her eyes trying to take in all that was around her all at once.

Word count: 314
[html]

Word Count → 482

out of character text

Hotaru was the type of wolf who rarely showed her true emotions. Expect for when she was in the presence of a select few she kept a calm mask or dawned a polite smile. Only when she was in front of those she truly trusted, did Hotaru let down her guard completely. However, this was one of those rare times that Hotaru truly smiled. The blind wolf always had a tough time fitting into the pack. Although the boat building project had made things a little better, it wasn't until Dara's admittance that Hotaru really felt she belonged. She had actually helped bring someone new into the pack. Not only that, but they had a new pack member. After the murder, many had left the pack, including Shawchert. It was a devastating blow to the pack moral. With the admittance of a new member, Hotaru felt like things might return to normal.

It wasn't all that surprising to Hotaru that Dara didn't recognize the word. She might have known several languages, but she was also young. Dara's vocabulary was bound to be limited due to her youth and inexperience. "A linguist is someone who studies languages. It is a position to be admired. After all, being fluent in several languages requires a special gift as well as heavy study." For a moment, the grey wolf wondered how exactly she should describe herself. Unfortunately, there were many who didn't believe she could carve. Even if Hotaru tried to show them examples of her work, they would never believe her. However, the young female's voice was filled with the same wonder and anticipation that Sophie often carried. Hotaru's smile grew bigger, it was almost a full blown grin at that point. She really did have a soft spot for puppies.

After a moments hesitation the grey wolf continued. "I'm a woodworker. I create tools or pieces of art out of wood. Sometimes, I even create instruments, although only on rare occasions. I'm afraid it's not my forte." Dara's point about a home was a good one. Hotaru herself had claimed a house in Thornburry. Perhaps the young linguist would choose to become Hotaru's neighbor. It was an intriguing thought, although Hotaru had to admit, she like the privacy her current location offered.

"I believe there are still many houses in Thornburry that would make suitable homes. Thornbury is where most, if not all, of the pack live. Am I correct in that account?" The blind wolf turned her body to face Skye. Hotaru thought she remembered several houses being available, however she didn't know what their current state was. Shawchert had been in charge of keeping the wooden houses in good condition. With him gone there was no one to keep them up to speed in the repairs. Hotaru wondered if she should take up that position herself. After all, she was a woodworker.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
"A woodworker. Amazing," Dara said gently. Without a wolf's eyesight, Dara thought that one could not create anything anymore. Though this seemingly talented wolf had proven her wrong. Dara's interest in this grey wolf suddenly increased ten-fold. "I would love to see some of your creations," Dara told Hotaru. Dara wanted to know what one could create with he use of eyes. Her respect in the wolf was amazingly high.

Dara noticed the smile that played on the lips of the grey wolf. She had not seen the wolf smile the whole time she had known her, of course that hadn't been long at all. But now, Dara saw the smile, The smile looked natural on her. "Your smile is beautiful," Dara mused, speaking honestly and bluntly. She didn't think before she spoke. You idiot. Think next time before you speak!, Dara chastised herself. She hoped the compliment set well with the wolf. She wanted to build a friendship with this wolf,

Dara contemplated the idea of having a home to herself. The home would be near almost all of the pack, and near Hotaru, whom Dara was taken a liking to already. Dara wondered if all members of this pack were like Skye and Hotaru. Maybe she could learn something from these wolves, leadership from Skye and woodworking from Hotaru. Dara admired this grey wolf. This wolf seemed to be the kind of wolf Dara needed in her life, an almost "motherly" type figure.

Word Count= 245
[html]

Skye smiled and padded along as the two wolves slowly entered the territory with her. It had been a long time since she had brought someone into the pack, and the feeling was refreshing, almost renewing. She was happy to see the girl's instant curiousity as she was accepted, and saw her unfold into a still respectful but now more confident demeanor, asking questions and seeming happy and curious about her surroundings. Skye did not interrupt Hotaru's answering the questions, seeing it as a good way to get her more involved; she could sense a visible and sensational difference in Hotaru's personality now, and was glad to see her smile.

Hotaru's smile was something Skye did not see very often at all, and seeing it now lifted Skye's spirits even further. She admired the blind member of the pack and to see her truly happy for this moment was something special indeed; she valued the happiness of all in her pack and having seen Hotaru do many creative and inspiring things, her happiness brought the alphess's as well.

"You are correct; I'd say that maybe three fourths of the pack live in Thornbury; it certainly is a sociable place," she said warmly. She perked her ears at the thought of this new member being a teacher to those in the pack - it would be excellent to reiterate what the pack was about; learning, trading, creating. She also thought it may help strengthen relations within the pack; that certainly was never something that went amiss. She continued to listen to the conversation as they padded along the territory.

The upper part of her lips curled up in a small smile as Dara showed great admiration for Hotaru's wooden creations. The blind woodworker had always sparked inspiration within Skye herself, reminding her that any and all could create beautiful art, even those who could not do something most took for granted.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
000+
[/html]
Dara listened to the alphess talk about Thornbury. Dara thought carefully about her answer before turning to the wolf. "I would love a house in Thornbury, if I can. I would love to be in very social part of the pack lands," Dara said, with a slight smile. She nodded. Yes, yes I want a house, she told herself. She pondered if she wanted a stone house or wooden house. She had come to the conclusion that those were the only two kinds of house the pack probably had.

Dara sighed contently. This is her new home. A home she wished to keep as long as possible. "These lands are beautiful," Dara muttered.

Of course, Dara had forgotten one important thing before she had traveled to the pack's land. She had forgotten to eat. As this thought came into her mind, Dara's stomach grumbled. Dara put her head in one of her paws. Embarrassed was an understatement. She groaned. That was her luck after all. She knew Skye and Hotaru heard her stomach. "Great," she whispered. She slowly lifted her head, knowing she needed to eat soon. She soon came to the conclusion that she could wait a little longer to eat.

Word Count= 201
[html]

Word Count → 412

out of character text

Hearing the words of praise from someone she had just met was a little shocking. Hotaru had not heard anything like it since before the war that had ruined her pack. Dara's interest in Hotaru was endearing and the grey wolf was enjoying the rare attention. For once, she didn't mind being the center of inquiry and welcomed any questions that Dara had.

With a smile, Hotaru held her staff up. Hotaru knew from her experience with wood that the staff held a deep brown color except for the places where she had carved spiral notches. There were a total of two types of spirals, one was thin and traveled from the rounded tip and stopped just before the handle. The other spiral was much thicker and deeper and wound itself in a similar patter. The top of the staff was slightly curved to make it easier for Hotaru to handle towards the ground. The staff itself was fairly thick for a walking stick, and its most prominent feature was the rounded end. This was designed to make as much noise as possible so that Hotaru could easily pick up on the sounds her staff made when she hit it against the ground. "This," Hotaru said with great pride, "is something that I made a while back."

If Hotaru could blush, she would have. Instead her smile just grew bigger and a small laugh escaped from her lips. "Why thank you. Wish I could say the same thing to you. You'll have to let me know what you look like sometime." As the three females walked, Hotaru could hear the soft wingbeats of her companion. Eventually Fawkes decided to take a break and softly landed on Hotaru's shoulder. The bird made sure to land on the shoulder closest to Dara. Fawkes was obviously interested in the new wolf who managed to make Hotaru smile and laugh.

The blind wolf enjoyed the simple talk with Skye and Dara. Although it seemed like Dara's stomach had other plans. "Hungry are we? Well, why don't you stop by my house later. I'm sure I've got an extra rabbit or two that I can give you." At that point in time, Hotaru surprised herself. The open invitation was not something she had expected to give, especially not to someone who was a complete stranger. The blind women wondered what had prompted her to offer such a thing. Still, it wasn't like she regretted her words either.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
Dara watched Hotaru hold out her walking stick, indicating that she had made it. Dara looked at the design, noticing the spirals most of all. "It is very beautiful," Dara said. "I have never had an ability in woodworking. It takes a great deal of work."

She thought back to when her godfather, and mentor, Salazar had once tried to teach her the basics in woodworking. She had tried to create a cat, but it looked more like an oddly shaped block of wood. She had no talent it that area what so ever. She admired the grey wolf a great deal for her talent.

Dara gently laughed, rubbing the back of her head. "Yes, sometime I will have to let you know," Dara said with a smile. As the bird landed on Hotaru's shoulder, Dara took a small step away from the bird. She has never been particularly good with birds, but cats and ferrets, oh how she loves ferrets, are a different story. "This must be your constant companion. He had some very pretty colors in his feathers. How did you come by him?" Dara asked, wanting to know exactly how the two had become friends. Dara shuttered inwardly. Birds almost scared her, seeing how she was attacked many times by birds from her tree climbing experiences. Being this close to one, Dara expected the worse. But knowing he was Hotaru's made things different.

The invitation to come to Hotaru's home was quite unusual for Dara, but nonetheless, it was welcome. "I would like that, very much. Danke sehr," Dara said. She didn't notice her mistake until a few seconds later, giving a small laugh. "So sorry. That's 'Thank you very much' in German. I guess I just got so use to speaking the phrase in German to my godfather Salazar that when I do say it I don't realize it," Dara explained. German had become second nature to her. I will have to do something to return the favor, Dara thought. Without returning the favor, Dara would only feel as if she is using the wolf.

Word Count= 355
[html]

Skye let the interaction between new member and old play out; her lips curled up in a slight smile and her eyes warmed as she lagged behind, watching the two. She admired Hotaru's staff along with the new member, Dara; she agreed that it was quite masterfully carved, and beautifully made, even though Hotaru could not see. She guessed that she used her sense of touch to carve, and ran her hands along the wood as she cut it. Yes, the staff was beautiful, and it seemed that Dara agreed; she also said that the lands were beautiful. A surge of pride ran through Skye as she looked about the packlands, looking at what she and Shawchert had taken as theirs, and that she had been leading through the good times as well as the bad.

Her thoughts shifted as Dara's stomach audibly growled. She could see that the female was embarrassed, but she couldn't help a light chuckle; it was in good humor, however, and she nodded as Hotaru offered her food; she had never seen Hotaru as hospitable as she was being, but she was glad of the fact. Perhaps this experience would bring her and the rest of the pack together as one.

Still not saying much, her posture more relaxed, Skye listened as Dara asked about Hotaru's bird. Skye had always admired the bird; she was a fan of them, and found their plumage as well as their ability to soar in the air beautiful. She never inquired about Hotaru's bird, however, and wondered if she would open up in front of the inquisitive young girl.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
000+
[/html]