Regarding Ichika no Ho-En
[html]
Changes in Ichika

What's Going On?

Hello, members of Ichika no Ho-en and prospective viewers! As you've probably noticed, there have been many changes in the pack recently -- from shifts in leadership to changes in culture.

You may be confused as to what's going on in the pack, and you may be wondering when and what more will happen. There's no need to worry! With all members' input and cooperation, Ichika no Ho-en will emerge with both new changes and member happiness in mind!

What Changes Have Occurred?

Here is a short list of changes that have already occurred. Hopefully, this will keep you up to date with what's going on in the pack!

1. Razekiel (Lin) went on NPC status some time ago.
  2. X'yrin (Zyn) was promoted to the subleader of the pack.
  3. Nayru (Kris) left 'Souls. Razekiel (Lin) retired from the leader positions of Ichika no Ho-en.
  4. X'yrin (Zyn) subsequently took over as leader of the pack.

What Changes Will Occur?

Membership participation is encouraged throughout these changes.

1. TIME PERIOD (From February to Late April) - Ichika no Ho-en will attempt to form alliances with neighboring packs, including New Dawn, Inferni, and Anathema.
  2. TIME PERIOD (From Late February onward) - Ichika will host self-defense lessons for members as well as aligned packs' members. This will help serve to keep Ichika independent and free, should the need arise. As specific concerns have been raised regarding Ichika becoming war-like, please note -- this isn't a militarization of the pack! The peaceful ideals of Ichika no Ho-en will remain central to the pack's vision.
  3. A gradual change in rank structure will occur. Co-ranks will take the place of Specialized ranks. This development will occur In Character. Comments and suggestions regarding these changes will be welcome when this discussion opens -- for now, we'll be focusing on the other aspects of Ichika.

How Will Theses Changes Happen?

Changes are proposed OOCly, and members of Ichika will vote on the changes. Positive voting results will be played out in IC, pack-organized threads. Ideas that aren't well-received by the voting will be discarded.

We play this game for the experience of having our characters develop and this is a point that will surely be kept intact. If your character does not agree with a change, you may bring it up ICly in addition to making suggestions in OOC topics. Your characters have a voice, and they will certainly be allowed to speak as well! Smile

I Have a Question or Concern!

If you have any questions or concerns pertaining to the changes, big or small, don't hesitate or be afraid to contact the new Ichikan leader, Zyn! You can contact the leadership by PMing X'yrin Exultare. Again, please don't be afraid to bring your concerns to light. The leadership will strive to accommodate you and your character to the best of the abilities to ensure your enjoyable experience within Ichika. Thank you all for your cooperation!

[/html]
I feel that I have the right to say that I do not agree with any of these changes. There is nothing wrong with Ichika the way it is, the way Kris and Lin created it, I am against the changing of the ranks just like I was against the changing of the pack song and colors, Ichika no Ho-en is the way it is for a reason, it does not need to be changed.
I agree with Jace- we all joined Ichika for one reason or another, but I'm sure the main point was that Ichika suited our characters and we liked this fact. Adding things in, taking them away, is going to destroy the Ichika we know and that our characters joined for.
The Specialized Ranks will be considered as the subordinate ranks similar to New Dawn. And ranks like Pup-Sitter and Guardians will be considered Co-Ranks. However, while these ranks are applicable to be achieved they are not mandatory.

The Subordinate ranks will be separated into three tiers;
Mentor, Apprentice, and Normal. If someone does not want to specialize in anything, they are not obligated to. However if they want to be recognized as say, a Pup Sitter, Farmer, things like that, they will have to show their abilities to fulfill that role in order to receive that ranking.
Although i'm not currently a member of InH i did have a character there so i just wanna say this.

From my understanding it's not as if all the specialized ranks are disappearing; they are simply being made into co-ranks. And by having these specialized positions as co-ranks i personally think it allows room for MORE specific roles and allows for members who have specialized skills to earn and work for and use the skills they have. I actually think changing the specific ranks to co-ranks will allow for more IC involvement in the chosen role and that itself can only be a good thing :3

Self defense, well most canines already know some combat skills or another and considering the more military style packs surrounding InH i see it as a good idea to teach members to defend themselves alittle. It's not going to hurt, it's basic self defense; heck, realistically i feel most characters should have some form of protecting themselves and this offers a chance for your character to both learn and expand upon skills and no doubt if it's a players personal wish to have their character defenseless then i'm sure the lovely Zyn will make an exception or work with you and your ideas for your character.

It's a fact that Leaders have changed and the proposed changes listed above are subtle and can only benefit the pack. As did combining DdM and Pv benefit most members and thus created InH i can only see these slight changes benefiting the pack without taking anything away and allowing room for further growth as a pack.

Or well, those are my thoughts atleast (:
After pondering over this idea of changing InH, I have considered a few things. For one, I feel this should be posted here for all to read, as is your responses. After all, this concerns all of us and to keep it in PM would be keeping others in the dark.

To be honest, I am not against change, for one, with no change there is stagnation, however, considering the structure of InH, I must ask why. InH is not even a year old yet. InH is still a new pack, still in it's childhood, why not let it have the chance to find out if it will work over the long term. Have there even been any discussion with others to find out if there is a need of changes in the structure or if anyone even wants it to be changed? To me, just to start making changes goes against the original concept of InH of Family. After all, one would not, one day, come home and say to their spouse, "We are tearing down the house and building a new one." Instead the idea would be put forth and discussed.

Some of the ideas, like self defense classes, make sense. I could see basic self defense classes for everyone that would like to partake of them. You never know when one would come across a wolf with nefarious ideas in their head. Plus, it would give the pack a fighting chance in the event of an invasion. And others could continue into advanced self defense if they so choose. Having alliances is not really against the grain, after all, InH is all about peace and would not consider wars or invasions of other packs.

My point is, really, why all the changes suddenly? To me, everything seems to have been operating ok and there is no need of changing the pack structure. At least at this point in time. Maybe explaining the whys of wanting the changes and asking the pack if they feel the same way.
I am not against listening to your side of the story Zyn, as it stands at the moment, like Temo said, I don't see any reason for these changes to go ahead but that is just my view, maybe I'm blind, maybe I cannot see what you see, so I'm asking you to explain to us all, why? What is it that you find so wrong with Ichika that you feel you have to change it.

Edit: What is so bad about it that you wanted to disband it?
Quote:To me, just to start making changes goes against the original concept of InH of Family. After all, one would not, one day, come home and say to their spouse, "We are tearing down the house and building a new one." Instead the idea would be put forth and discussed.

These changes are not going against the central concept of family. In fact they have nothing to do with that. The essence is being kept intact. Perhaps you could explain why you think this is being jeopardized?

Quote:My point is, really, why all the changes suddenly? To me, everything seems to have been operating ok and there is no need of changing the pack structure. At least at this point in time. Maybe explaining the whys of wanting the changes and asking the pack if they feel the same way.

---
I am not against listening to your side of the story Zyn, as it stands at the moment, like Temo said, I don't see any reason for these changes to go ahead but that is just my view, maybe I'm blind, maybe I cannot see what you see, so I'm asking you to explain to us all, why? What is it that you find so wrong with Ichika that you feel you have to change it.

The change that I see that's causing the most issue is regarding the rank changes. And I'd be happy to explain why I see this as a mandatory change. Essentially, the ranks are not going anywhere, but they are being converted into Co-Ranks than can be earned and used. Coming into InH the member is able to fill a role that they think their character is better suited for. The Specialized rank can be literally translated into mid ranking with a fancy title attached to it. But with these titles are obligations I personally do not see fulfilled. I understand that it may be difficult for members to fulfill their requirements to maintain their Specialized rank with what goes on outside 'Souls and such, but some have roles that are useful that are not utilized at all. And having that unfulfilled occupation could make it difficult for others to try for that particular rank.

What I'm trying to propose is to alleviate that obligation all together by putting everyone in the mid ranks at the same level initially and if there is a task they want to specialize in then they can achieve it. It is not as though anyone is being demoted in or out of game, but are encouraged to keep their Co-rank based one their use of that skill, even teach others once they have reached that level of recognition. This opens up the opportunity for various Co-Ranks, even those that are not listed and if a member would like to learn a special skill but the position is taken, they can still be taught and reach that specialized level.

Again, this is purely by choice.

Quote:Edit: What is so bad about it that you wanted to disband it?

That is a backup. InH is not a bad pack, but the reason for that option is a personal issue I'm not going to discuss at this time.
if you have personal issues with InH and many people don't want it to be changed perhaps then you might consider having someone else work on the pack. I don't WANT InH to leave, not for a long time. it's still young and Lin and Kris both worked VERY hard on it. Just because they are gone/absent doesn't mean their pack needs to go as well. I didn't like the news that a pack I've been working on with my character was just going to whimsically disband and become a totally different pack. I'm glad you changed your mind, but if you feel that you have personal issues about the pack you should think about making someone else the leader. I'm just saying.
This is me speaking as a fellow pack leader.

I'd like to peacefully mention that taking things the opposite way of what you said, Shaw, members are free to leave the pack if they don't like the way that things are running. It's a freedom that members have...they can come and go as they please. Zyn isn't Kris or Lin, but she was appointed by them to run the pack as she sees fit.

It's fine to disagree with things so long as it's civil, too - I really like the discussion that's been going on in this thread. It shows a lot of maturity, in my opinion :3 And it's great that Zyn is here to answer questions.
I've been thinking upon this a lot, as well as having some help understanding Zyn's position and such from Melissa (Kudos to Melissa!) And as it now stands, unlike my earlier proclamation that I was against all of these changes, my stance has now changed itself. I agree that teaching the members to be more self reliant in terms of security and protection is a very good thing especially with Ichika being so close to several packs that could be considered a threat in their own right, as Kitty has stated.

The rank changes I'm still struggling to understand but that may just be because I am slightly dumb xD We haven't worked that out yet. But changing the colors and song I am still opposed to, regardless of these slight changes it is still Ichika no Ho-en, the pack that was created, and I see no reason for that to change, peacefulness is its aim and so it shall stay as the song and its colors reflect this idealistic view.
QUOTE (X'yrin Exultare @ Feb 11 2012, 08:15 AM)
The change that I see that's causing the most issue is regarding the rank changes. And I'd be happy to explain why I see this as a mandatory change. [/quote]
Yes, this would be a major concern for me. Mainly because I see Temo's rank of 'benson' disappearing, well, more accurately, being moved to co-rank, which would then leave Temo rankless. Or stuck in a new rank that he may not belong.

To be honest, I struggle enough at maintaining the minimum 10 posts a month to keep Temo where he is, and I know that co-ranks require a lot more posting to maintain the regular rank and a co-rank, so to me, at this time, has me wondering if I would even be able to keep temo in InH just on the basis of the posts.

Until now, I did not have to worry about the ranks other than keeping him where he is, in one that suits his talents to the fullest.

This is why communication is needed. So people are not jumping to conclusions, and trying to second guess at what one is trying to do. I think that it's not THAT you want to change the ranks that are troubling me, it's not knowing WHAT you have been thinking of changing them too and how the change will impact my character to a degree that he would end up being a loner.
Quote:Yes, this would be a major concern for me. Mainly because I see Temo's rank of 'benson' disappearing, well, more accurately, being moved to co-rank, which would then leave Temo rankless. Or stuck in a new rank that he may not belong.

To be honest, I struggle enough at maintaining the minimum 10 posts a month to keep Temo where he is, and I know that co-ranks require a lot more posting to maintain the regular rank and a co-rank, so to me, at this time, has me wondering if I would even be able to keep temo in InH just on the basis of the posts.

Temo wouldn't be losing his rank at all. The specialized ranks are essential on equal footing. His bensen rank would not disappear but would be made into a Co-rank. As for what it takes to maintain a Co-Rank, the requirement would be minimal. Since he would already have that specific Co-Rank, one thread pertaining to it's usage would be required. That is all and he would still get to keep it. That one thread could be those posts you need to keep him at his rank. This change is not meant to make it difficult, but easier. As the rules are now, on thread pertaining to your rank is required every two months. In a way, this would be an amendment of that. You wouldn't necessarily need to make another co-rank thread each month (even though that would be nice) but for those that have already been ranked, one thread incorporating that rank is all that's needed.
I agree with the self defense lessons. Kiara needs them, badly. I'm not to wild about the color change though and I'm more than confused about the rank changes. Will Kiara still be keeping her rank as the Ikusei? Or will she have to work for that again? I'm worried that as a normal wolf she wont be able to keep up with the new rank system.

blech, got shadow posted.
Quote:I agree with the self defense lessons.  Kiara needs them, badly.  I'm not to wild about the color change though and I'm more than confused about the rank changes.  Will Kiara still be keeping her rank as the Ikusei?  Or will she have to work for that again?  I'm worried that as a normal wolf she wont be able to keep up with the new rank system.

Kiara would not lose her position. With the rank change she would still get to keep it. She already has Ikusei, so it would still be hers but named as a Co-Rank. The rank change just opens up the opportunity for anyone else that wants that position as well. Even if someone else wanted to be a pup-sitter, if that rank was not already theirs then yes, they would have to earn it like a Co-Rank. And if they achieved it, then there would be two pup-sitters. That's all. And her being a normal wolf wouldn't factor in it at all. The ranking system works for everyone. If non-Luperci wanted to be a fighter, they could be. They would have to fulfill the requirements and all that. Or if there is a Co-Rank they wanted or had a skill that was not originally a part of the Ranks, it can be made into a Co-Rank to accommodate them.
To be fair, I see no reason for anything to change. InH is still a relatively new pack and changing it sounds stupid. No offence, but just because the leadership has changed doesn't mean the pack should change along with it.
I'm happy to see the tempers are cooling on this subject. I don't have an Ichikan character, so I guess I don't truly have a personal stake in this, but really it allows me to see both sides... So I hope it's fine I post here.

Zyn is not going to be able to maintain the pack in the exact same way that Kris and Lin had, obviously. They founded this pack, and all she can do is keep to the ideals that they set (which she is striving to do, as the self-defense lessons are only for dire situations and not for battling on a whim). So there are going to be changes even if they are not intended. It's hard to be given this kind of responsibility when everything had been set down by two people who aren't around anymore.

The co-rank thing sounds good; it simplifies the actual ranking system while allowing everyone to keep their specific duties with even less effort to maintain them as before.

I agree that thing such as pack songs or colors might be a little silly to change -- only because they are unimportant in the long run honestly. Smile But that is what the voting is for! The numbers will reflect people's opinions when it comes to changing things or keeping them the same.

I hope that everyone else who has arguments will be willing to actually read through this topic and listen to Zyn's explanations. You guys have the right to want to keep Ichika the same pack as the one you joined, but you should also know that she's open for communication and is doing her best to explain her reasons behind these things. It's one thing to resist change because it's going against Ichikan ideals, but to resist change because it's simply something new is kind of silly.

Those are my two cents. ^^ Ichika has been running pretty strongly even when the leadership was faltering, so with a new very present leader, things shouldn't get worse.
I have no Character in InH but I tink the changes may help Ichika grow. I love how ichika is peaceful but too much peace makes for a boring life and it becomes nothing more the the daily grind.

Building alliances and minor changes to InH abundance of ranks may just help. But once again I have no character in InH I'm just kinda an observer. though Aeron would be more then happy i bet even the Dasa's in Anathema could help teach self defense. This could help with bonding the two pack Smile
I am not from InH, nor do I really know a whole lot about the pack itself, but I wanted to add my $0.02 about the changes.

I noticed a lot of you had said that just because leadership has changed, the pack does not need to change. And while that is true it is only realistic that with new leadership there would be a few new ic and ooc changes for the pack. That being said I can fully understand those of you opposed to changes in color/song/theme, but otherwise Zyn's purposed changes really aren't all that drastic, from my point of view.

Perhaps it's because its all come about rather sudden and out of the blue (or is that just me cause I dont pay enough attention??) and so a lot of you are reacting like you just had a bucket of cold water thrown on you. Just try to keep an open mind and I am glad to see that communication channels seem to be open both ways between Zyn and the members.

Change is hard sometimes, but in the long haul I thin Zyn is only trying to build upon what she was given rather than just tearing it down. All in all it looks to me as if compromises are being made and I hope a happy middle ground can be found for most, I dont dare hope for all.
I see what everyone saying, and this may just be because I joined kinda in the middle of everything, but it just doesn't seem like there's been any time to judge whether Zyn was able to keep it the same. Of course as a new member I can't really judge this too much, but it seems as soon as the original founders left, there was word of change without any attempt to keep InH stable.