i can't do the long division.
[html]<style type="text/css">#grace-01 { width: 300px; padding: 10px 20px; background: #5E4C4C; border: 5px solid #DD9E95; margin: auto; } #grace-01 p { font: 10px tahoma; color: #D1B99F; text-align: justify; text-indent: 13px; line-height: 13px; margin: 7px auto; } #grace-01 .stars { color: #8B6F59; font-size: 15px; text-align: center; margin: 15px auto; text-indent: 0px; } #grace-01 .wc { font-style: italic; text-indent: 0px; text-align: center; } #grace-01 .ooc { color: #E7D4C3; text-indent: 0px; } #grace-01 .speak, #grace-01 a { color: #E7D4C3; font-weight: bold; } #grace-01 .taj { font-style: italic; }
</style>

Word Count: 533

For Gemma. Tentatively dated 26 February, mid-morning, if that's all right. Let me know if it isn't, for whatever reason.

★ ★ ★

Grace had risen with the sun for another day of training the horses. Now that she knew what Faris could do, she really should be testing the mares. The first she wanted to see, oddly enough, was the feisty blue roan; she could guess what the war-horse could do, but the little mare had caught Grace's attention. She could make a loyal companion, very much like Layla, for someone who was in need of such an equine counterpart. But most folks looking for a horse, Grace had learned, weren't looking to train one from raw, as she'd done with Layla. No, certainly not. They wanted a horse that could already understand their commands, a horse who was intuitive and alert, a horse who was already trained to be their companion. Then, all they had to build was a friendship. Grace was not just friends with Layla; they were partners, because Grace had trained her from raw.

But Grace didn't judge others, for not wanting that experience. Different folks, different priorities. It wasn't her place to say that what was valuable to her, should be just as valuable to others. She knew (although she didn't understand how) other folks were afraid of horses, or nervous around them. Grace had never been clear on why, since she herself didn't have a fear of horses. A healthy respect, sure; she'd been kicked before, and Layla had even bitten her arm once, albeit not too hard. But never a fear. A horse wasn't likely to do more harm to her, even if possessed by Death himself, than she could do to it first, if push came to shove. She didn't like the idea, but she didn't have to.

She was out in the field for some time, testing the blue roan mare. She was quick, and she gave the respect that she received. She returned to the stable with her charge worn out, rubbing her down and feeding her before heading for the central section of AniWaya. There, a great fire burnt on, and she often saw other packmates here and there. As she sat down with her leather-bound day book and scribbled down a few notes about the training session, Taj landed on her head. "What do?" he asked curiously, leaning down between Grace and the paper, head tilted.

She frowned playfully, glaring in the most exaggerated way that she could muster, then grinned at him. "I'm writing about horse training, Taj. I worked with the blue roan today. I'm trying to think of a name for her." Since she had learned that Taj could understand what she said almost completely, and could mimic some sounds and words, she had been trying to speak very clearly for him, so that he could pick up more. She loved working with creatures to improve their interactions with wolves; the one things that she always tried to teach her equine charges was, above all else, find a way to communicate their needs, desires, and information to their rider. If they could do that, they would likely make it through okay.

After all, wolves were very much like all other manner of animal. They feared most what they understood least.

[/html]
[html]

WC:541+
OOC blah would go here

The morning was greeted with a surprising amount of cheerfulness despite the awful situation she was stuck in. The Great Fire was a comforting heat at her back as she woke up within its smokey embrace. Her pelt now constantly exuded the smell of woodsmoke and fire and Gemma preferred it that way, the musky smoke hid away most of her natural scent and it was that she presumed made men hurt her so much either physically or emotionally. The flighty submissive female looked about herself nervously as she stretched in the early morning sun. There were chores to do before she could resume her secret hobby. Gemma has discovered recently the thrills of weaving bands of colored string together to make a pattern, she had seen some of this work decorating houses, manes and such and had given it a go for herself. She had been extremely surprised to discover that the quick and precise handwork needed came naturally somehow. She was still weaving very basic one colored bands and canvases but before she indulged herself she had to work.

First things were first she checked upon the level of the Great Fire, she was not personally allowed to supply it with food for the hungry flames but she could make sure that all was clear for the council woman to do so. Ulilohi stopped by not long after to perform the daily task that Gemma could not, several times during the day would she come and check upon the fire's level and adjust as she saw fit, usually during these times Gemma managed to find something to preoccupy herself such as lighting the torches along the main road or checking on the stores of wood. The large woman scared her and Gemma wished not to upset her after the episode with the sheep. As Ulilohi departed Gemma realised that one particular wood store was running low and so collected an axe from the storage and set out to collect what she could from the wilds.

The hours of the early morning trickled into mid morning as Gemma labored, the physical task proving a large challenge for her weaker body. She couldn't carry much with each trip and refused point blank to use the horses, the large equines scared her too, as did a lot of things. So by the time the stores were not so dangerously low five hours had trickled by and she was exhausted from the strenuous activity. She dragged her tired gaze over the two stores to make sure everything was tidy and exited the Town Hall only to pause in apprehension. There was someone sat at the Great Fire. She was speaking to a small black colored bird that was resting on her head. Quickly Gemma dashed behind the fire so that the roaring flames separated them and pulled at her ears fretfully. What did she do now?

She didn't know if the woman had seen her dash behind the Great Fire but certainly its size was large enough to hide her from view. She sunk down upon the log that served as a seating area and whimpered quietly hoping that the woman had not noticed her. She wondered how long it would take her to leave.

<style>
.AnaFK-15 .ooc {font-size:10px; font-style:italic;}
.AnaFK-15 p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.AnaFK-15 b {font-family:verdana; color:#FFF; text-shadow:#000 0px 0px 2px; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.AnaFK-15 {background-color:#632728; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; color:#fdd2db; line-height:16px; width:476px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb29 ... uls/13.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:325px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; border-radius:8px; } .AnaFK-15-border {width:478px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:8px;}</style>[/html]
[html]<style type="text/css">#grace-02 { width: 450px; background: #25151f url(http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s41 ... lebg02.png) bottom center no-repeat; margin: 0px auto; border: 3px solid #fff; outline: 1px solid #000; font: 11px verdana, sans-serif; color: #6c6874; line-height: 13pt; text-align: justify; } #grace-02 #inner { background: transparent url(http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s41 ... tbg02b.png) top center repeat; margin: 10px 10px 500px 10px; border: 1px solid #000; } #grace-02 #inner p { margin: 10px; text-indent: 0px; } #grace-02 #inner p.ooc, #grace-02 #inner .speak, #grace-02 #inner a { font: 13px courier new, monospace; color: #7fa198; } #grace-02 #inner .taj { font: 13px courier new, monospace; color: #748d86; } #grace-02 #inner .wotd { color: #748d86; }</style>

Word Count: 415. Dear God, I'm so sorry.

Grace was too intent on her work to notice the female who darted behind the fire anxiously. Her pencil poised over the paper, she only noticed the disruption when Taj cawed softly and looked around the fire, curiosity shining in his black eyes. The blonde regarded her friend for a moment, wondering whether he had merely seen a critter pass. However, her corvine companion was more intelligent than most gave birds credit for; in their defense, perhaps they had only met pigeons, who were simple creatures, something of savants for their navigational skills, but it still seemed to irritate Taj intensely to be compared to the likes of such. He was bright, learning slowly to speak to her in her own tongue, and able to communicate rather adeptly even so. Time together had cemented their bond, and with it, their ability to understand each other, and foster a type of camaraderie that she had scarcely seen even between canines, let alone cross-species. His body language, head tilted far to one side, told her that there was something worth investigating. So, investigate she would.

She stood slowly, not wanting to startle their surprise guest. This was, of course, pack territory, so it was likely to be a pack member. However, she'd not known many AniWayans to be shy and skittish; rather, most were rather forward and easy to get along with. Her book in her hands, she closed it over the pencil, binding it shut, and slipped it into her coat pocket. She would think of a name later; for now, it had slipped her mind. She slipped around the fire easily, spotting the girl who had escaped behind it, and smiled genially. "Why, hello there, sweetheart. Did we startle you? I suppose a wolf and a bird talking isn't the most usual of sights, now is it?" It didn't even occur to her that the female might be frightened of nearly anything; rather, she was quite suspicious that her unusual partnership was the culprit. She sat down on the log, Taj taking his place atop her head, and offered another smile. "My name is Grace, and my friend here is--" Before she could complete her introducing, the crow offered his own name: "Taj!" She chuckled and nodded emphatically, Taj holding on tightly to avoid being jerked from his spot.. "As he says, he is Taj. We've not been here for too long yet, so we don't know too many folks - and who are you?"

[/html]
sorry for taking so long, and for the suckyness x.x

Luck was not with her today and she was spotted, dismayed the woman tried to curl into herself more, making her already slight form seem even smaller. This was a sensory overload for the poor girl who usually hid and made herself scarce when people she was unfamiliar with came to visit the Great Fire. The exception being Light and Matteo and even then the former of the two still received a few startled cries or fearful glances. She tried to force words as the other female moved around with her black colored bird to sit on the same log as Gemma, the white femme struggled with herself to contain her tremors. Her speech was slow, stuttering and only embarassed her more with its pathetic tones,

"N..no not the bird... uhh.." She flinched noticeably as the bird made a loud sound, its name, " T..taj? No just.. you startled m..me. I..I'm not g..good with p...p..people." She ducked her head, mind reeling with the strain of attempting to interact. It was the truth that since Alaki's visit and several other events had crumbled away a bit more of what mental strength she had, reduing her to a quivering mass of fear when approached by even such an un-intimidating target as another female and a small bird.

"I'm G..Gemma. Gemma S..Sawtooth."