Who can say where the road goes? Only time...
[html]OOC://Private, for Skoll <3. Sorry if you were waiting long for this, I wrote one before this and my internet went back on itself and ate it. Here it is now though SmileSmile Also 918 words

IC://
The late evening air was chilled, a delightful offset to the heat of the day, where not even the cool zephyrs that were still blowing through the lands, disturbing leaves and rustling the long summer grass, could take the edge from the heat. Even under the shade of the trees it had been bordering on uncomfortably hot, especially at the midday point, when the sun had been high in the sky. Mercifully the sun had now all but disappeared below the horizon, allowing the sky to darken to an inky black in the East, though the West was still painted with the reds, oranges and roses that the setting sun so often tinted the sky with at sunset. Small stars twinkled in the inky blackness, finally being able to shine now that the overpowering glow of the sun was dimming. Some listless clouds still littered the sky, trailing lazily across the open space, blocking the view of some stars and being painted with the same tinted glow of the sunset. High in a tree a lone bird twittered, calling the others to bed it seemed, telling them that night was falling and it was time for them to be huddling in their nests. Small creatures disturbed the leaf litter on the forest floor as they made their own ways home, working their way back to their burrows. A small crowd of rabbits sat close to one another, devouring the grass that peeked up from between fallen leaves and pieces of moss, having their evening meal it seemed. That was until one plump little rabbit froze, eyes wide with fear and proceeded to flee through the forest, rapidly followed by the others.
The reason for their fear soon became apparent, a slender black hand pushed a fern out of the way as a tall ebony wolfess padded through the forest. Soran had been planning to explore only her home, but had found herself wandering, curious about these new lands, wondering if any of her other dear friends had survived the fire that had ravaged the old lands. She had been devastated to find that they were all gone, only piles of grey ash in their place, she had wept for quite some time, the sudden feeling of loss had engulfed her, trapped her and she had lost meaning. But she had found Conri, her red son had survived and along with Naniko and Lucifer had come to these new lands and had started a new pack, her younger son Khaden, had also survived and was living within the same packlands. This gave the ebony lady the confidence to hope, perhaps some of her other loved ones had not perished in the flames as she had been so sure they all had. She was, for once being optimistic, daring to hope.
And so the slender fae had walked, padding through the lands with pointless haste, she was simply exploring, wandering adventuring, following the trail of the beach for a while, before moving into forest when she found it. But still she had rushed, wanting to come across her friends quickly, if they were alive she did not want to wait to see them, she had so much to catch up with them, so many apologies to make, so many things to make amends for. And so the obsidian lady had rushed through the lands, making mental notes of where everything was so that she would know her way back, but still rushing. Finally she had caught the scent of other wolves in this forest and now was following it, pushing past large ferns and ducking low tree branches.
Now that Soran knew that she had indeed caught a scent she found that she was able to slow down, her long legs taking shorter strides, finally able to relax and enjoy the scenery. And the scenery was indeed beautiful, tall trees stretching up seemingly endlessly towards the sky, so tall that the ebony fae had to tilt her head as far back as she could to see the tops, an act which caused the two silver hoops in her left ear to glint in the dying sunlight and the cold moonlight, now that that lazy heavenly body was finally journeying into the skies, a perfect crescent, stretched like a grin against the inky canvas of the night sky. The ferns were large, much bigger than the dark lady's hand's span, though they were fragile and bent and broke if she moved too close to them. Luckily the dark lady had retained much of the grace of her youth, though she was not as young as she had once been. Slowly the lady walked through the forest, following her sensitive nose, her jade eyes scanning the increasingly dark forest for any signs of movement or any familiar shape padding through the forest. Eventually the dark fae found the true border of the lands, the scent of another pack was strongest here. And so the dark lady selected a large rock, smooth but with a defined crack running through it, one side covered in thick green moss, giving the rock an increasingly lopsided appearance. She lowered herself onto it, sitting neatly cross-legged upon it. Slowly, the dark fae lifted her dark head to the sky and let out a soft call, a call for anyone she knew, she was so desperate to see a friendly face in these lands, to give her yet more hope that her loved ones were still alive somewhere. [/html]
[html]

I apologize for the shortness relative to your post, my sister's sort of cramping my style right now and it's hard to get enough time to myself for long posts X(

The sunset was beautiful, and Skoll sat, enjoying the red and orange shades tranquilly over his makeshift den, little more than a place to cache all of his belongings. His lone ear twitched as he heard the soft call of a familiar voice...one he had not heard in quite a while. One he hadn't expected to hear for some time yet to come...he hadn't been keeping his hopes up for anyone since the fire, but he felt his heart pang briefly at her voice. She lived, and now she was here.

Rising up from his high vantage point, the warrior werewolf padded down the mountain, his pack and shield bouncing on his hip, his bandaged arm hanging by his right side, an empty bowl still smelling of kava left by his den as he traveled to the border. When the bronze wolf approached, and saw the black-furred woman for the first time in months, an unbidden smile twisted the scarred contours of his face...pulling on the stitching of the three new wounds that resided there. He hoped she wouldn't be too worried when she saw his state...SteelRose had cut him up badly, but he had come out ahead in the end, with the help of a brave but perhaps foolish packmember.

"Soran," he said warmly, his voice betraying a deep happiness. She was one of his few long-term friends which he could still expect to see. She was also the only one still living who understood about VoidFane, and made him feel absolved of guilt for his family member's crimes. "I'm happy to see you again. How have you been?"

~The lyrics are from the best song ever written.
[/html]
[html]OOC:// Aplogies for the wait on this, I haven't been at home to post really, am back now though XD. Also Word count: 574 words.

The obsidian fae settled herself more on the rock, one hand tapping a rhythm onto her knee, she was mildly impatient, she was desperate to see someone, anyone, just to know that someone she had cared for was alive, she had dared to hope that someone would be, and now she dreaded disappointment. Jade eyes scoured the landscape, the dense trees all around her housing small animals and birds, finally she settled on staring at a small rabbit, it's nose twitching every now and again as it nibbled on grass and stared up at Soran warily. For once, the Twilight Vale lady had no intention of attacking the small creature, she wasn't hungry enough to warrant catching it for food, besides, she was sure that the wiry creature would lead her on a chase around the forest and she had no time for that, she was waiting, even if her call turned out to be fruitless, she would give it a chance to be answered. She hoped for anyone, even someone she did not know, if they had news about someone that she did she wouldn't care, even knowing that someone hadn't perished in the fire would be good enough for her, with or without the physical evidence to prove it.
Soran was not waiting nearly as long as she thought she might be though, the slender fae had no idea how far the packlands stretched on for, there could be a wolf coming from the other side of them, that could be as far away as the ocean was she guessed. But as the slender fae began a more rhythmatic drumming, now using both hands to tap out a beat, a familiar shape appeared through the trees, a familiar flash of bronze pelt that ceased all of the fae's drumming and caused a smile to stretch across her dark lips. Soon enough the scarred wolf stood before her, for a moment, Soran was horrified, he was so scarred, so wounded, he was adorned with far more lines showing signs of healed wounds than he had bore than the last time she had laid her green eyes upon him. For a moment she had the urge to fuss over him, to panic and worry over each new line, each new cut, each bandage, but she realised that there was time for that later, now she was just pleased to see her old warrior friend alive and unburned.
As soon as Skoll had uttered her name Soran leapt from the rock that she was sat upon, landing neatly on the forest floor in front of the bronze male, she threw her arms around him carefully, not wanting to catch any new wound, to pull any stitches out or to squeeze on any bones that night have been broken. She embraced him quickly, before releasing him and standing before him again.
"Skoll, old friend, it is most wonderful to see you again, after the fire I feared that you would all have been lost. I am well thank you, much better than I was at least. How are you?" She asked, her eyes scanning over each new battle scar as she spoke, she wondered if that had been a ridiculous question, it seemed that the bronze warrior had been in the wars even more than she had, had fought off yet more foes. After a moment she added, "I see you're freshly wounded, what has happened?".
[/html]
[html]

'Sall good, man.

The larger werewolf returned her embrace, somewhat awkwardly. After what had happened with Asphyxia, embracing this ebon woman seemed very odd...and yet what caught him off even more was the vast difference in meaning. He cared for Soran a great deal, but that caring was of a very different sort, and somehow the hug--even though all hugs were the same basic gesture--meant something completely different.

"It's good to see you too, Soran. As for the fire, I'm too alert for such things to catch me unawares. The same can't be said for everyone, but you don't have to worry about me. This..." he looked down at his arm as they broke away from one another, "Was just me doing my job. Found someone from my line of work trying to cause trouble. Don't worry, this was a special case, there aren't any others around here who would be able to put me up like this." He would skip the details...it was just very good that SteelRose was gone, now. He didn't want to think about what might have happened. She had come looking for him, but hadn't hesitated to attack Lubomir when the opportunity presented itself. If she hadn't found him, or he'd failed to kill her and she had lingered here, there was no telling what sort of damage she would have caused, especially due to the do-nothing attitude that a lot of the wolves here seemed to have regarding security threats.

"The wounds on my face and left arm are almost healed, so don't worry about hurting me." That left his left arm, the one which had been pierced deeply at two points, in the upper and lower arm. SteelRose's weapons were particularly adept at stabbing rather than slashing, which was evidenced by the difference in healing time needed for each wound. He hoped she wouldn't let his physical state dictate their entire meeting. "What have you been up to, Soran?"

[/html]
[html]OOC:// Ick, my ears are really sore :S I had them pierced a few weeks ago and now they've decided to be sore again Confused. Word count: 669 words.

The jade eyed lady watched and listened as Skoll explained. She guessed he was right, if she had had to bet on one wolf surviving the flames, she would have bet that it would have been ever wary, ever watchful Skoll who would have had the sense to evacuate himself and whichever pack he was protecting at the first sign of flame, at the first plume of smoke becoming visible, no matter how far away it was. Then again the old warrior might have tried something heroic, perhaps raced to help some helpless creature, to stop them perishing in the flames, and then he might have gotten himself killed, the bronze male may have indeed misjudged a situation and ended up perishing because he was trying to help everyone out of the reach of the fire's fierce blaze.
But he had indeed gotten himself out safe and well, well as well as the old battle scarred male ever was, he was indeed usually bandaged and stitched, waiting for wounds to heal. The male was so often in the battles and he was so often wounded, the ebony female was used to this and looked upon Skoll's battle scars with a mixture of worry and fondness, she was concerned that he was fighting foes so often and being wounded in the process, but she held a fond amusement for the scarred male's new wounds, it was what made Skoll Skoll, it was the old bronze male getting up to his old tricks. The dark lady was always glad to see her dear friend though, no matter how battered and injured he was when he appeared.
Dark ears swivelled forwards to catch the male's explanation of the wounds, nodding slowly as he added that there were not many others who were here to fight, that was a good sign, at least the wolves that had survived were not planning any fighting, that was unless Inferni had survived... the coyotes had been restless and aggressive the last time that the dark fae had seen them, but then again that was some time ago now.
As Skoll asked the fae what she had been up to her face fell slightly, she had been up to many things, not all of them good, for a moment the image of Akiro's blank face slipping beneath the glass like surface of the lake, the visible dent in the side of his skull, the large rock clutched in the fae's own dark hand as she watched her former mate drown. He had deserved it, he had attacked her first, there was still a small scar on the back of Soran's own dark skull from where the large brown furred male had thrown her into the jagged rock. She had returned to see her bronze friend with an equal amount of wounds, but most of hers were hidden, most of hers were etched on her already battered heart.
The dark fae considered sugar coating the truth, making it seem like she had had a fruitful and enjoyable experience being away from the 'Souls lands, but she had not, in truth her time away had been just as turbulent and filled with loss as her life in 'Souls had been. Slowly she replied, "I have been travelling Skoll, I travelled a great deal away from these lands, I took a new mate for a while, but I lost our pups and soon enough after that I lost him as well, so I returned home only to find it burned to the ground. But I found Conri again, he's leader of a pack, you know with young Naniko. And I have found Khaden again; he seems to be in good health. Besides that I have been well, I have been exploring and honing my hunting technique. And how about you Skoll, you seem settled, and is that a new pack I smell on you?" The lady smiled as she replied, attempting to emphasise the more cheerful news that she had.[/html]
[html]

I totally don't understand why people get their ears pierced, men or women =P

It seemed that tragedy would always befall Soran. Every time he spoke with her, it seemed that the dark cloud that hung over her life had cast another bolt of lightning down onto her. She had just gone through the happiness of attaining a family only to have it taken away as quickly as it had come. Before that, she'd had a son who she'd loved dearly, punctuated by the fact that the only reason she had been so blessed was by enduring the cruelties and perversity of a wolf named Hollow, a wolf who she had implored him not to hunt down and kill. Even when he had first met her, he had learned that her childhood had been ruined by an act of his great great grandfather, HawkWind "VoidFane".

Ultimately, he chose to follow her lead, and stick to the good elements of what she spoke of. It was clear on his face that he felt a tug at his heartstrings at her words, but he need not bring it back up. He doubted that she had come all the way back here without putting herself back together once, she didn't need him reopening those old emotional wounds with his words.

"I had heard about Conri from Naniko. He got in a fight with Gabriel of Inferni recently, but she said he is alright. She apparently made some sort of agreement behind his back about keeping their pack out of any conflict with Inferni in exchange for protection from the clan." He kept his voice flat in this matter. He didn't have a lot of respect for those who abandoned others to their fate out of fear, but he wouldn't openly disdain Twilight Vale in front of Soran. It didn't sound like it had been Conri's choice anyway, and he was certain that Soran would be glad to hear that her son was keeping out of trouble.

"As for myself, yes, you could say I've settled myself on a new border. I carried Storm's leader out of the fire, and followed Pilot's scent to find a place to rest. Apparently, he and an old acquaintance of mine named Tayui decided to start a new pack, to begin rebuilding immediately. Phoenix, the old leader, vanished a few weeks after that looking for his children through the burned ruin. Since then, it's just been the few of us up on this mountain. We've had a few more people join up, though apparently most of Bleeding Souls went further south."

[/html]