Trust
[html]
OOC Mar 3

She hadn't been able to resist, brought back to the den and given a decent meal. Her attempts to escape had been met by a very strict Shadow, acting as her guard, both for her and against her. It seemed she was stuck in New Dawn for at least another day before he would let her leave. The uneasiness she felt hadn't disappeared with the meal that she'd eaten. This wasn't her home, she was surrounded by enemies. Convincing her otherwise would be very difficult.

Terra was resting lightly, head wrapped up. Nightmares about being attacked by wolves, the cougar occasionally flashing in the back, rested there. Always, Augustus' betrayal flitted through her mind, leading the attack, leading the cougar to where she was. Could she trust anyone? Terra had helped save his life, yet he had done this. New Dawn had done this. Shivering Terra pulled herself closer, trying to keep the fear at bay.

<style type="text/css">
.terrra b {font-weight:bold; color:#116f77; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #041f22; }
.terrra p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;}
.terrra {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#31515c; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/K8FCs.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 270px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#558888; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
.terrra p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.terrra p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]
WC: 347

The Gamma had heard a rumor that was most disconcerting to him, and he'd been determined to check on it the moment he had a chance. Unfortunately, that didn't come for longer than he anticipated - the white wolf had busied himself with the duties that came with his rank, as well as scouting the borders. It was a habit born of years of repetition, and he could not so easily shake it. Shandom felt most comfortable when he was on high alert, protecting those he loved. New Dawn had become his family, and the white male was happy there. Though he did not much have occasion to interact with the Alphas, he deeply respected them and would have thrown himself readily in the face of danger to defend them. With them lived the knowledge of the pack, the places where food was prevalent and the history of their culture. It was important that they be protected above all else, and Shandom was determined to do so.

It was not surprising to him, then, that when a trespasser was found on the borders, a slight argument had broken out. The Gamma was disappointed in his pack members for allowing such bickering to get in the way of what was truly the issue: defending New Dawn, and ensuring that the entire pack was safe. He had yet to speak to anyone fully involved in the situation, and while he intended to do so it was not for that reason that he currently sought out the trespasser. No, it was because he'd heard that it was the coyote Terra, his friend from the Court and the most mischievous little girl ever. He hoped she wasn't being entirely ignorant, and was also healthy.

Her smell, mingled with blood and injury and fear, led him to her location, and Shandom did not suppress a gasp when he saw her. Terra! he murmured, voice filled with concern for his young friend, though there was a slight bit of reproach in his voice. Terra, it's me, it's Shandom. Are... What happened to you?

<style type="text/css">
.freebfeb02-box {width:239px;height:244px;float:right;}
.freebfeb02 b {font-weight:bold; color:#be6232; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; }
.havendaddi01-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#514739; text-align:center;}
.freebfeb02 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.freebfeb02 {margin:0 auto; width:90%; max-width:700px; background-color:#ffffff; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/0s2wh.png); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #7d8890; padding: 10px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#7d8890; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
</style> [/html]
[html]
OOC

The call of her name broke Terra free from her nightmares. Lifting her head she looked up, spotting a white wolf. Her first thought was that Augustus had slipped past Shadow and was here to kill her. Fangs bared she pushed herself up, ignoring the pain that shot through her body at the movement. Her leg wasn't supposed to be bearing any weight, it had been so badly broken. The wound on her side tore open again, and Terra quickly moved, licking the wound, keeping her eyes trained on the other.

His words broke through, and Terra twisted, taking the chance to take in his scent through the blood that filled the small den. So it was her friend. Relieved Terra allowed herself to sink back down, taking the weight back off her leg. Hopefully it would heal alright, or she'd be a cripple for life. A cougar got me. Guess I'll need to learn to actually hunt now. Terra chuckled lightly before continuing. Don't remember much of what happened after that. I'm guessing I trespassed.

<style type="text/css">
.terrra b {font-weight:bold; color:#116f77; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #041f22; }
.terrra {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#31515c; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/K8FCs.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 270px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#558888; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Look at me, being fast and whatnot. WC: 366

His face was the image of concern, though he supposed it shouldn't be. Terra had done wrong, he assumed, and that was why she was in such a state. He, of course, placed the well being of New Dawn above absolutely everything else, and Terra was no longer a part of that. But if he were being honest, he knew that New Dawn was not his first priority - Lea was, and then the pack he now called home. The black female always would hold the most prominant place in his heart, though he chose not to divulge that for obvious reasons. It was his secret to keep, to guard, to remember when the night seemed to oppressive. His sister was his reason for living, his beacon in the darkness. Despite her madness, despite her hatred, she was everything to him, and always would be. He supposed that, for Terra, the most important thing was causing mischief. Shandom recalled that phase, though he doubted the Baroness would ever grow out of it. It would have brought a smile to his lips if he were not so concerned for the well being of the girl.

The Gamma grimaced when she told him what happened, his face easily betraying the discomfort he felt at the idea. Oh, Terra... he murmured, moving slightly closer to her. Her initial reaction had confused him a bit, but he did not want to act why she was so terrified. New Dawn was supposed to be peaceful, at least in his eyes: Shandom had no love for those who hurt without necessity, but he also had no love for those who broke the rules. This little girl, this happy little imp who made him smile, was quite the confusing creature. You probably did trespass, but I'm surprised you survived after a cougar attack. Those things are dangerous. Are you staying here to recover? The Gamma's question was pointed, and designed for both his own knowledge of pack activities and his concern for his friend. And... he paused, unsure as to whether or not she could actually handle questioning. Miss Terra, why did you snarl at me? I mean you no harm. Neither do my packmates.

<style type="text/css">
.freebfeb02 b {font-weight:bold; color:#be6232; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; }
.havendaddi01-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#514739; text-align:center;}
.freebfeb02 {margin:0 auto; width:90%; max-width:700px; background-color:#ffffff; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/0s2wh.png); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #7d8890; padding: 10px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#7d8890; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
</style> [/html]
[html]
OOC herpderp? / +yo numbah!

Shandom moved closer, and Terra's tail thumped happily. It might not have been under the best of circumstances, but she still enjoyed being around the older wolf. He knew so much that she didn't, even if they were both as ignorant as rocks about luperci. Terra nodded her head, knowing that she was lucky to have survived after trespassing. She really didn't remember what had happened, just that she'd been sure she was going to die, and that there had been a lot of anger. It wasn't very reassuring for her.

Terra shook her head at his question. As soon as the dawn rises tomorrow I'm out of here. I can't stay in a pack I've trespassed on. Not to mention the promise I made. She didn't explain the promise, a little embarrassed about the heated promise she'd made while hormones had still been running her body. Terra had to wonder if he'd even want to see her again after this. Shandom's assurance that no one in the pack would harm her was met with a snort. Tell that to Augustus. He'll tear my throat out if he finds me.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
WC: 347

Shandom sighed and shook his head at the girl, his expression a mingled one of concern, pity, and slight disappointment. Terra knew the dangers of trespassing - it was something that was just inherent in their species - and yet she continued to do so in such a grevious way. And upon New Dawn, no less! The Gamma did not fault Augustus for his apparently harsh behavior at the borders: the Epsilon was charged with protecting and guarding the rather private pack from outsiders, and he probably did just that. The young male might have a long way to go in terms of learning to speak appropriately, and not quite be so brash, but the alabaster male had never had any negative experiences with the man. Perhaps he would seek him out later, and the pair would talk: regardless, it was not important now. His young Court friend was injured, and Shandom cared for her, even if she were not pack family. He did not so readily abandon the bonds of friendship.

The male sat, keeping his posture dominant as properly befit his position. Dark eyes regarded Terra quietly for several silent moments as his tail swished with slight agitation behind him: this female was an enigma. You should not leave until you are entirely healthy and able to do so, Terra, he eventually spoke. I understand this must be uncomfortable for you - we are a wolf pack, and there are some prejudices here, for reasons I cannot understand - but your safety is of utmost importance. But if you do find it necessary to leave, please take care on your return to the Court. I cannot imagine the King will be happy to hear of your injuries and how you acquired them, but it would not do for you to die on your way back home. A slight smile ghosted across his lips before he readopted a more serious facade. But Augustus was merely doing his job. He is our pack's Epsilon, and it is his duty to protect us from outsiders. You are, of course, not malicious - I assume? - but he, and we, cannot make exceptions. Surely, you understand this. Shandom begged her with his eyes, though his voice was calmly neutral: he wanted the girl to understand.

<style type="text/css">
</style> [/html]
[html]

Seeing the worry in Shandom's eyes Terra immediately pulled herself up, pretending that she didn't feel any pain from the slight maneuver. She was fine, she was strong. Terra could take care of herself, had for a long time. She smiled up at Shandom, trying to show that there was no need for him to worry. She never wanted that. Terra was self reliant, never having relied on anyone to help her, living on her own at far too young an age. Her tail twitched slightly as Shandom spoke, drinking it in.

I would never harm your pack Shandom. You're still my friend. Prejudices there might be, something Terra didn't understand, but he was happy there, and that was what counted with Terra. His words about her being uncomfortable in a wolf pack had Terra shifting around, grinning mockingly. Me being a pure coyote of course I find it uncomfortable. All these horrid wolves, planning to do me in. Her eyes twinkled with mischief, a gentle reminder that while she might be part coyote, half of her was wolf. She had a foot in both worlds, and enjoyed it.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
WC: xx

He watched Terra get up, and immediately felt guilty. No, Terra, please, the white Gamma encouraged, shaking his large head and looking at her with the same expression of sadness, pity, and slight confusion. Don't stand. Your body needs time to heal, my little friend. It was strange of the ginger female to be so relaxed around pain, so unafraid of death - and yet here she was in a wolf pack, and one that was rather reclusive and peaceful at that, and she was blatantly terrified! Shandom couldn't understand it. What was so awful about New Dawn? What had his comrades done besides seek a life that mirrored the old ways as closely as possible?

But his lips twisted into the familiar smile that often marked his face, and the man became handsome again instead of worried. I'm glad you're not intersted in hurting us. Really, Terra, we're harmless - I hope you won't tell the Court otherwise. Plus, coyotes aren't that bad. I don't have a problem with them, at least. Most wolves here don't, we just choose to live separately. Even as the words came out of his mouth they sounded funny: Shandom wasn't sure whether or not he liked them, and inward shame nearly boiled to the forefront before it could be adequately suppressed. Regardless, I'd just like you to come out of this safe and alive. I can't believe you survived it, anyway.

<style type="text/css">
</style> [/html]
[html]

As soon as she was up she regretted it. Not only did it hurt to do so, the action that was supposed to help convince Shandom that she wasn't as badly injured as he worried only made him even more upset. Terra licked his chin gently before settling back down on the ground. I know. I'll be fine, really. She was just tired and hurting a lot. It would go away. Then she could come and bug Shandom again, prove that all his worrying had been for naught.

Terra stared at Shandom curiously as the old wolf continued to try and defend his pack, explaining that they had no problems with coyotes. Right. So your pack just happens to dislike me, and it has nothing to do with me being part coyote. Terra snorted before settling down deeper into the den, exhaustion starting to show in her eyes. She kept herself strong, not wanting Shandom to leave or appear weak in a group that could easily kill her. I always survive. Her voice was matter of fact, brushing off the cougar as just another brush with death in her life. In Terra's case, it truly was, having too many encounters with death.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
wrap up? sorry i totally blanked on this Sad WC: 262

Shandom sighed, worry etched in his aging eyes as he looked at the Court girl. She was so young and so unafraid of life and the inevitable consequence of death: what would she do when something larger than her caught up and decided she was too much of a nuisance to survive? Terra had been lucky so far, and surviving a cougar was no small feat, but there were cruel wolves in the world. Cruel coyotes, too. The world in general was a mean and torn up place, and it was nothing to be tampered with so lightly as the golden coyote did.

He didn't know how to articulate properly that his pack didn't dislike her because of her coyote heritage; it was more than likely the animosity was born from trespassing, or perhaps an improper show of respect. Nobody in the pack was unduly intolerant of another race, though Shandom knew he was perhaps a bit harsher than the rest when it came to the ideas of hierarchy. But he would never treat another canine differently for their species - it didn't make sense to him. Especially not in a world like this. And so the Gamma sighed deeply and shook his head, still unsure what to say to the girl. I see we are going to disagree. I assure you though, Terra, if we disliked you we would not offer your harbor while you heal.

The Gamma sighed and looked outside, delicate nares twitching as he scented a nearly rabbit. Have you eaten? I can bring you something, if you'd like.

<style type="text/css">
</style> [/html]
[html]

It seemed Terra wasn't going to win. Shandom seemed determined to be worried no matter how hard she tried to lighten the matter. Or maybe if she'd decided to overact, playing on his sympathies. Then he would have just discounted it as foolish youth working for attention. That might have been better than pretending it wasn't hurting. He seemed to think she wasn't taking this seriously. She was, just didn't want him to. After all, there wasn't much Shandom could do about it. It was best if he didn't worry.

He did have a point. Terra had no idea why they were letting her stay. She just knew she wasn't safe and had to leave as fast as possible. She wouldn't be able to relax until she was out of the pack. Even being on neutral grounds would make her feel more safe than knowing that there were those just waiting outside, ready to tear apart the weakened coyote. The offer of food immediately brightened Terra up. Her tail thumped at the thought before she realized that probably wasn't persuasive. I'd love that! I mean-I'm starving, haven't eaten for days. So weak! Terra twisted her head, doing her best to look as pathetically starved as possible.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]