Exchanges
[html]
<style>
#ulilohi {width:90%; margin:10px auto; border:0; font-family: arial, sans-serif;}
#ulilohi p {padding:0; text-indent:0;}
#ulilohi p.wc {text-align:right;}
</style>

Dates to March 10 okay with you?

Hover the Cherokee words for translations.

By now, the different routes within the Village were so familiar to her, she could navigate easily even without the torches. However Gemma kept the Village well-lit, and she was grateful for this. Somehow, it seemed more like home with the torches lit, even during the day. The scent and sight of them were just simply necessary in her mind. That, and they served as beautiful decorations. Even in the daylight, torches and the Great Fire were worth watching, with flames dancing and merging and splitting, their power apparent and profluent. This day, she was not about to allow hersef to be distracted by them, however. She carried a gnawing doubt as she sought out one of the few faces she could truly ask in the tribe. Certainly, the others were knowledgeable, but Claudius had been the one to lead her at first, and she respected the strange male. Even more so, perhaps, after his recent appearance at the ceremony.

How different they were, Anatole and Claudius, yet related and somehow similar. They were both intent on doing what was right; Anatole had proven this to her the day he sought her to confess. Claudius, she was certain wanted the right thing. His heart had seemed in the right place when they first met, although his leadership left something to be desired. Still, many moons had passed, and Ulilohi found that her living here had had an effect on her as well. The ever confident female was growing weary with the conflicts she could not solve, the neverending chores, and the regrets she faced everyday. Perhaps, with this once problem, Claudius could be of assistance, she thought. She neared his den and called out to him informally, so as not to startle him. It was assumption that led her to believe he had to be inside, as much as her olfactory senses. "Osiyo, Claudius!" She halted outside the entrance, knowing that entering might offend him.

[/html]
Sure thing bro!

[html]
[/html]Claudius had been slumbering for the better part of the day as he anticipated hunting in the nighttime. No matter how humanistic AniWaya was, Claudius still observed many rituals and codes of conduct that were distinctly feral. He didn’t see the point of revering one form over the other and was able to appreciate each having its own place. He supposed this appertained to his ubringing by a wolf who was not from the tribe and who had spent much of her life on four legs. Claudius certainly did not fault his mother, but it definitely gave him a different perspective than those born in the Great Tribe. Tonight, he hoped to go hunting and find some food to sustain him over the next few days. Although he didn’t anticipate that he would be able to fell a deer or cervidae on his own, Simcha had expressed interest in going hunting with him.

He was wakened from his slumber by the sound of a shout, short and sweet, emanating from outside of his den. He roused himself and forced himself to his feet. He lumbered over to the entrance of his den and poked his head around the deerskin covering that protected him from the cold and the light. He had to blink a few times before he was able to see anything. After a few seconds, he recognized it was Ulilohi standing before him. He quickly snapped to attention and pushed the deerskin away with his nose.

“U-u-uli… lohi… ple-e-ease… come in…” he beckoned as he stepped aside to permit her entry. “I was ju-ust slee-ee-ping… I hope… I didn’t keep you… long…”[html]
[/html]
[html]
<style>
#ulilohi {width:90%; margin:10px auto; border:0; font-family: arial, sans-serif;}
</style>

<3 Sad
Hover the Cherokee words for translations.

A short moment passed before a muzzle was visible, poking out of the skins that covered the entrance. Claudius invited her in, and the councilwoman gave a friendly smile, though quickly replacing it with a mouth shaped like an o. "Oh, I am sorry to have woken you, Claudius. I pray my visit isn't inconvenient?" The comment was honest: leader or no leader, she did not enjoy imposing her presence onto anyone, no matter the situation. Still, she bent down to enter the den, its door being a bit lower than her comfort zone. Then again, she was not the smallest of wolves, and the action of bowing to every door and entrance had become a habit, an automatic action. The councilwoman gave another smile as she looked around, realizing she had never been inside Claudius home before. It wasn't anything like her own preferences, but that was not to say it was not cozy.

The councilwoman was not one to waste time, and she quickly shifted the conversation from small-talk to the matter at hand. If he had just woken, he surely had things to do during the day, as well. "I've come seeking your advice and perhaps assistance, if you will give it, Claudius." The female hesitated for a brief moment, as if finding the best way of explaining her mind. "I try to be a part of this place, but I know that I am not. You know your home better than me, Claudius, and you led them briefly, as well. My hopes are that we could perhaps share some of the burdens that I now face alone, for sometimes I do not know what to do." Or, rather, often she did not know what to do. She spoke the words almost too quickly near the end, not particularly fond of admitting her flaws and difficulties. She was the type that would hide her insecurities with great care, and revealing them was not an easy task. But she had learned, now, that that was what she must do, lest this task of leadership overwhelm her.

[/html]
WC: 447

[html]
[/html]Ulilohi was quick to offer him a smile, so Claudius tried his best to politely allow her to enter his den. As she stepped in, he stuck his head around the animal skin door searching for a leather loop. It was just a crude strip of leather that he wrapped around the skin to hold it back, but it served its purpose. Ulilohi apologized for waking him, but he didn’t mind. He was about to mention that, but he found the piece of leather and suddenly, he was no longer able to talk. He pulled his head around the animal skin and tried to say that it wasn’t a problem, but it came out as a garbled mess. He laughed awkwardly to himself and tried to finish this one task before talking. He brought the leather strip over to a part of the cave wall and then used his left paw to push a stone on top to hold it down. Once that was done, he turned to Ulilohi to properly address her.

He shook his head and smiled, since he sensed that she had more to say. She was quick to speak and Claudius was glad; he was not very good at small talk.

His eyes widened when she explained her reason for being there. She needed his help? For what? That seemed unlikely. He held back a snort and instead nodded eagerly, curious why she had come to him.

When she explained that she was not a part of the tribe, he frowned. Of course she was; she was more a part then they were. The members were a motley group of canines and only two of them – Anatole and himself – had been raised (partially) in AniWaya. But when Ulilohi explained further, he understood. She was not a part of this tribe. The Great Tribe was very different and he knew that he had some controversial opinions about it. But now he understood her reasoning.

Of course, if he was understanding this correctly, then that meant she was asking much more of him than he would have. She was asking him to lead.

“I—” he began. He was about to ask, ‘why me?’ but he knew the answer to that. He had led the tribe before, even as a puppet. He frowned as he considered the decision. He wanted to ask her more questions, but he knew the answers to all of them. He didn’t know what to say.

“I do-o-o-on’t kno-o-w wha-t-t… to say,” he replied slowly, “ho-o-onestly. I a-a-am no-o-t a wa-arrior… I ca-a-annot… prote-e-ct thi-i-s tri-i-ibe… and I cou-ould not… against… Maska. Why-y… no… I don’t want to – let any-o-o-one down-n…” [html]
[/html]
[html]
<style>
</style>

The garbled sounds that came from him as he closed his entrance amused her, and she chuckled, though not mockingly. She would have reserved the expression had it not been Claudius that she was in the presence of, but she felt that she knew where his heart was, and that he would not take it wrongly. Perhaps that was part of why she had sought his advice, in particular. For sure, there were others she could ask that appeared trustworthy: Anatole appeared as capable (the two Aston males were, in a sense, almost equally dysfunctional), but Claudius seemed like a gentler soul, or one that might more easily welcome her. She smiled gently, listening to his protests. She had not been able to settle on how she thought he might react, and so she presented it with a wholly open mind.

He was hesitant to give her an answer. His stutter had been hard to overcome when she first met him, but she was more trained in finding the words behind the cut-up utterances now. She understood his worries, and they were legitimate. It was always hard to argue against the importance of legitimate concerns, and she did not know whether he was more fragile than she thought, besides. "I am not asking you to be a warrior or a protector. But you know this place, and I fear they do not accept me." The councilwoman spoke quietly now, opening the window further, for anyone to gaze in and see the size of her uncertainty. Maska was in the past, but how could she lead the tribe into the future when she could see as little of the way as them? Perhaps Dawali had been equipped for this lonely task, but Ulilohi was not. "I, too, fear that I will let them down," she said, but ended the sentence there. The rest of it stayed in her thoughts. I will just be the next failure in a line of failed leaders.

[/html]
[html]
[/html]She entertained his concerns with a small smile, making Claudius wonder how much of a diplomat she really was. He couldn’t tell what she was thinking and didn’t know how she would react to his concerns. Appropriately, he was sure, but he wanted to know how she felt. It was so difficult figuring out others’ true emotions and true feelings because deep down, they often didn’t know. Surely, she thought him weak and incapable of any physical labour. He knew that such a view would colour anyone’s perception of him as a leader. He didn’t think he would be able to scare off an intruder at the border if he tried. How could he truly lead a pack when he could barely rule himself?

“Bu-u-ut these a-a-re tasks… of a lead-eader: defe-e-ending th-e borders, gi-i-iving punishme-e-ent… since we do not… have a war… tier… Be-e-eing strong… enough to guide… the tribe… through its difficulties…” He wanted to hear her say it: that he was weak and useless. Now, of all things, he wanted his view to be re-affirmed. He was a self-fulfilling prophecy.

“I-I kno-ow… this place—that’s tru-ue… but you would… honestly… have me as a leader… despite… my flaws?” He realized that his brow was now very tightly knitted and he was frowning in concentration. He tried to pry the truth from Ulilohi’s lips with the force of his frown, but he knew he could not scare a cat into giving him its mouse, so he doubted it would have any effect.[html]
[/html]
[html]
<style>
</style>

Kind of a ramble from me here, sorry X_X

His protests continued and Ulilohi was not sure what to say or do about them, and the silence that followed his words proved her hesitation. Was she asking him to lead? She had come with the intention of asking for his help, whatever that may be, but Claudius seemed to somehow fear the task of helping her, and of leadership. It would seem that her admission of uncertainty, that she mirrored his concerns to an extent, mattered little in soothing his mind. She could perhaps understand this. Yes, she was a warrior, if not in rank then in heart, as she always had been. But she knew that physical strength was not leadership, and this was perhaps the largest flaw in Claudius' argument. She found herself sitting on the ground inside his home, her gaze shifting - not nervously - but as she thought, as if a representation of the gears grinding within her head. Finally, she found words that could describe her emotions in a better way, but they did not come easily. "Well, I think... What is strength? I am strong of body, but in mind... I do not know what to do, always. I do not have the answers that I need to have, and I do not hold their trust. Maska had the brute strength to guard these borders, but he led nothing but a disaster. If I am to lead us, I need strength of mind. And you have that advantage over me, and they will trust you over me, I'm sure."

His question was blunt and showed her his mind just as she tried to show him hers. The female gently shook her head. "Who is flawless, though? A leader will have flaws, but the only flaws that matter are those lacking of heart, and I see sincerity in yours." One brown hand touched her chest in a gesture she was barely aware of making. "But, I will not have you as a leader unless you wish for it yourself. It must come from the heart. It is no flaw to be unwilling - I was forced to lead here, and I sometimes long to flee my duty, even if I cannot. I do not want to push a similar situation onto anyone else." There was a pause. "...but I will gladly have your aid and advice, if you will give it. As friend and fellow." In essence, she merely needed someone to share something with. Here, there was just Ulilohi and the rest of them, not all of them together, or so she felt. There was an outsiderish feeling she had in the tribe, and Claudius helping her could be a way to step inside. Not only for this tribe's sake, but also for her own.

[/html]
Ulilohi took his concerns in stride and responded slowly, but with a sense of awareness that Claudius respected. He could see her struggling for a response, so he was able to appreciate her answer. Her point about Maska was well-received, but also served as a reminder. Maska was a tyrant and although he had been put down, it had been with the aid (if you could call it that) of the very packs he had hurt. Claudius recognized that physical strenth was not the only thing a leader might need. He realized this now. Like his namesake, he was not fit in body, but in mind.

When he relayed his true fear -- that he was damaged and flawed -- Uliloihi responded with wisdom he would have expected from someone his mother's age.

With this in mind, Claudius moved closer to reply.

"I.... I trust you, U... Ulilohi," he said. His words were slow, since he knew it was the best way to tame his stammer. "And... you-ou trus...t... me... so... I will... accept... and hope... I can honour... you and this tribe."
[html]
<style>
</style>

I forget things! D'you want the rank later or now? I don't mind either way.

Ulilohi was not without doubt in their conversation. Not only for whether or not she would be able to explain, but also for whether she was doing the right thing or not. But Ulilohi needed someone's aid, and who else was there? She did not lie when she explained her view on his strength, and her doubts were rooted not in his person, but the roles he had previously held. She would have to send a messenger to the Chief about her doings, because he might not take lightly on her involvement with a former rebel. Regardless, she knew that he was just, and she knew that he would understand her need for help. Even so, Claudius had been a rebel here under Maska, and even led them for a while as they were puppeted under the other packs. She was mixing sides, and though she was confident that a united front required doing so, the other councilmembers of the Great Tribe might not. Was she overstepping her boundaries?

He listened as she explained her mind, and when he finally spoke, it was with acceptance of her offer. Smiling, Ulilohi gave a hand gesture as if formalizing the agreement. "I am glad you accept! I think the tribe is stronger so long as we remember to think together, rather than one by one." Ulilohi did not yet have a Spirit Guide, a hole in her existence which burned in the hours where she felt the most alone. "I invite you to my council, then. Or as my advisor, if you would rather train before taking the rank publicly." She knew that Claudius was a shy one; he had kept himself much alone since she had come here, and she would not force him into a role of public figure before he wanted it himself. It was an honor he could choose to delay, if he feared to spoil it. The Anasgayv was smiling as she waited for his answer, tail lifted, as was her mood.

[/html]
Hmm, now is cool I guess 8)

[html]
[/html]Claudius nodded his head in agreement when Ulilohi said that they were stronger together. They would have been stronger, together, under Maska if he were not such a madman. But even then, those who had opposed Maska found strength among themselves. Claudius just hoped that if he were seen to be helping Ulilohi, then some of the former members who had fled the pack, like Saxif, would return someday. Claudius wasn’t sure if her uncle, Light, had left out of a fear of persecution or what the tribe had become, or for other reasons; but regardless, Claudius wished they would come home. He hadn’t known them well, but Saxif had stood with him against Maska.

When Ulilohi asked him when he would like to assume the position in leadership alongside her, Claudius frowned and shook his head. He didn’t want to seem pushy or full of himself, so he would rather Ulilohi make the decision. It was, after all, her decision to make.

“What-e-e-ever you see-ee-ee fit… I will accept… your judgment,” he replied. Since he had assumed the role of leading the tribe once before, he did not mind doing it again. He had found that although it had been under dire circumstances, he enjoyed it. He liked knowing the members of the tribe and being thought of as someone important. More importantly, he liked knowing it was he who kept them safe – the last time, through his negotiations with Savina and Vigilante – and now, with Ulilohi. [html]
[/html]
[html]
<style>
</style>

We can end this whenever I suppose? A few more posts, or with your next one. Archive at will really :3
I also had a random idea that may not be so random, because I think we may have discussed it? But what if Claudius learns AniWayan, and does not stutter as much then/overcomes some of it through learning AniWayan? I know that happens IRL, and didn't know if you thought it was a cool idea :3 Lemme know<3

And there it was. The brown giantess had thought it would be immensely difficult to do what she had just done. She always felt uncomfortable asking for help except by a few individuals, limited to her closest family. It was perhaps a sign that she was realizing where her efforts needed to be concentrated, that she had come here seeking help and advice in the first place. She nodded eagerly to his response. "I suppose I'll tell you about what I have done now, and we can do the announcement when you feel ready for it." This was not a question. Claudius would quickly find that Ulilohi was decisive when prompted to be so. If he wanted suggestions, he should ask for suggestions, and if he wanted her to decide, she would. In that sense, she was perhaps less attentive to hints and details and indications that the meaning behind a spoken sentence could be contradicted by a person's body language. Ulilohi read clear messages, but oftentimes she relied heavily on the spoken word itself. It would be a curious journey for her, no doubt, to start sharing her leadership space with another, and one with whom she had spoken, but little. The brown woman stood and indicated that she would leave. "I suppose my mission in coming here is completed, then. I intend to seek the help of one of our Animal Carers to find a suitable horse for me—" she indicated with a smile to her body. "—which, as I've understood, is not an easy task."

[/html]
Sure. ^^ And he could definitely learn some AniWayan. I'll consider the idea! Big Grin
[html]
[/html]Claudius nodded as Ulilohi outlined her plan for him. He was glad that she was willing to wait for him to adjust to this huge change, but he wasn’t sure if he needed to do any waiting. Somehow, he felt ready right now. He didn’t want to seem full of himself, but since he had led the tribe temporarily, and as a puppet than as a leader, during the war, he didn’t find this to be as scary. He didn’t have the threat of danger looming over his head; he wasn’t being watched by two packs; and Maska was no longer a threat. He would enjoy helping the tribe during peaceful times.

Ulilohi continued and explained that her business was finished. Claudius inclined his head slightly and then glanced back up at her, his eyes twinkling in laughter when she gestured to herself. Yes, she was rather tall, wasn’t she?

“Wuh-well, be-e-est of luh-luck, A-a-anasga-a-yv,” he replied. “I wuh-will a-a-assume the ma-a-antle of… Councilma-a-a-an sho-o-rtly—if tha-a-at plea-eases… you… a-a-a-and we ca-a-an announce… it… once we-e-e go-o over… my respo-o-o-onsibilities. A-a-as you… know… I was a te-e-e-empora-a-a-ry… leader… but… I am s-s-s-ure… you and I… will… operate… different-t-tl-y… so… I… do-o… not want… to… overstep… my… bounds.”[html]
[/html]
[html]
<style>
</style>

NP ;D Poke me if you want about it <3

They made their goodbyes and Ulilohi was nodding at the pale male as he spoke, smiling as he wished her luck. She would need it! She could neither ride properly nor had she found a horse of the appropriate size, always afraid of breaking the animal's back when she sat upon it. It was not so much that she was just heavy, but rather that she was large in general. Her muscles weren't exactly light either, but it was another matter what contributed to her weight. The councilwoman chuckled. "Hehe, thank you Claudius. I fear I will have to travel to find me a proper mount!" Of one or the other kind, in all sincerity. Both types of mount was hard to find these days. "That sounds good. If you want to come to the Town Hall one of the next days, I will probably be there. I do not fear that you will overstep your bounds at all, but first we should establish both our bonds, I suppose!" He was modest enough, that was for sure. Hopefully, with time, he would learn to claim his place more clearly. He was already doing so, by his words, but it was not always so that he appeared to match this with the way he carried himself. Then again, Ulilohi more than made up for that aspect of leadership -- sometimes she wondered if that was all she knew of authority, how to stand and claim the word. Regardless of their styles, she was excited to divide their workload and start working towards a fuller tribe. She dipped her head with a warm smile. "Donadagovi then, Digaliwigi." It was all she could do to stop herself from winking, and a playful look shot at him before she turned to leave with a smile and the wag of her tail.

[/html]