admonition and celebration
[html]

Word Count → 545 :: Ves disapproves. >:C

The developments in Inferni served to set Vesper on edge and cast a paranoid shade to her daily movements. She rarely expressed her apprehension unless one caught her gazing tensely out into space or noted her listlessness in conversation. Mostly, she kept a distance from most of her clan mates, only a choice few lavished with even more attention than normal as she tried to set her emotions back on track. One disaster would not kill the coyote clan, and she was simply acting silly. She had to joke with Helotes and teach Hybrid’s offspring and do whatever it was she did around Myrika. She could not afford to let her restlessness rule her life.

And yet she lost the battle on a daily basis, as she moved immediately to pace around the borders when she was unoccupied. Once again, as she had done to distract herself in the past, she walked around the territory boundaries like an automaton on a track. It might have been humorous if not for the wolf attack in the previous week. Workaholic or not, suspicious or not, she had a reason now.

The female wandered between the border stakes, weaving across the invisible line, occasionally stopping to raise a leg on a tree as if she were male. She threw herself headlong into this pacing, absentminded other than her constant vigilance—ears swiveling, eyes darting, nostrils flaring. Her entire body was poised, all her senses trained, and so when the stink of a wolf close to the borders struck her, the coyote snarled.

The sound dropped into silence as she pressed her nose to the ground and blinked. Kiara. Large ears ducked against an angular head, and she cast a furtive look about her. Her surprise gave way to rage once more. I told her never to come here. She sniffed again, looking for traces of blood, but only caught a whiff of snow hare and Emmanuelle, the Tirones she’d welcomed into the ranks. Was there a confrontation? Another sniff and glance revealed nothing. An odd smell wound around Kiara’s, but it wasn’t something she came across often enough to know what it meant.

Vesper scowled, displeased. On one hand, she expected to see signs of challenge and escape, an Infernian chasing a trespasser away from the borders. On the other, she was glad that Emmanuelle hadn’t attacked her friend; it was heartening to know not all of the clan members followed the stereotype of “kill first, ask questions later” coyotes that filled the nightmares of the other packs.

Overall, she was frustrated at Kiara ignoring her warning.

The tawny hybrid had half a mind to walk back into the territory and mind her own business from that point on, but instead she followed the scent trail of her friend once it separated from Emma’s. It was relatively fresh, and so she supposed she might be able to catch up with the arctic female before they reached Ichika no Ho-en. She didn’t know what she’d do or say once she did catch Kiara, however, as she didn’t want to scare the poor girl—but maybe she needed scared.

Vesper didn’t know, and so all she could do was walk with nose pointed out and small paws stamping the earth.

<style type="text/css">
.vestper b {font-weight:bold; color:#697d87; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#bab1b5 1px 1px 2px;}
.vestper t {font-style:italic; color:#697d87; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#bab1b5 1px 1px 2px;}
.vestper p.ooc {font-size: 11px; text-align:left; padding:0px 30px;}
.vestper p.ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.vestper .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold; color:#697d87; text-shadow:#bab1b5 1px 1px 2px;}
.vestper p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 20px; margin:0px;}
.vestper {width:500px; margin:0 auto; background-color:#b9c0c2; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/hZRG5.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding:370px 0px 4px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#6e7073; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>

[/html]
[html]

Word Count :: 376

Dated the first yes?

It had been a long time since the white female had laid her eyes on Vesper and her trip to Inferni territory was supposed to have remedied that. However, instead of meeting her long time friend, she met a wonderful female coywolf named Emmanuelle. Their meeting had been completely spontaneous and was a very positive experience for Kaira. The wonderful event really only made Kiara want to visit Inferni more often rather than less. Unfortunately, both Vesper and Emmanulle warned Kiara that the pack lands were dangerous and that not everyone would greet her with a smile. Could it really be that bad? If she met an unfriendly canine then Kiara would leave and there would be no harm done. Right?

Once the arctic wolf had reached the sloping hills that lead to they Halycon mountains, she paused briefly to rest. Although Kiara was in top from, her added burden would make the travels through the mountain forest more difficult. While on her break she decided that it would be as good a time as any to eat the rabbit that Emmanulle had so kindly given her. Kiara slowly worked on the carcass. She used her teeth to remove any undesirable hair before digging into the warm flesh. It was a good meal, if a little small. It would hold Kiara over until she managed to catch something on her own, a feat that had become increasingly difficult.

With her belly full of food and puppies, Kiara started through the mountains. Her steps weren't hurried and she walked with a gentle ease. The day was a good one and the cool air was pleasant. The farther Kiara traveled up the mountain, the colder it got, and the more comfortable she became. Once Kiara reached the snow capped peaks she stopped again to rest and clean herself. Although she had licked her muzzle after eating, there were still some dried spots where the blood had not been cleaned. So Kiara ducked her head into the snow to effectively clean it. After taking a few bites of the frozen liquid the tired mother-to-be lowered her haunches into the find powder. Her tongue rolled out and her breath's came out in white puffs. Yes, it was a good day.

<style type="text/css">
.character-Springmom b {font-weight:bold; color:#021F2B; letter-spacing:1px; }
.character-Springmom .ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.character-Springmom p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.character-Springmom {margin:0px auto; width:466px; background-color:#425D3F; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/4Usfm.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 400px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#24CF81; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 450 :: Dated whenever you'd like! Also, Ves is like DURRRR?

The journey was taking longer than Vesper had thought. Her coyote-trotting gait was consistent, though, if not fast, and she would make good time. However, thoughts bounced around her skull with each lope, and she found herself fretting and becoming skittish at every noise in the undergrowth of the foothills. More than she feared for herself most of the time, she feared for those she cared about, and she was helpless when it came to most of her friends. It made her feel useless, knowing that Ichika no Ho-en was a good four hours’ walk from Inferni, knowing that she could not be at their side to defend them if something went wrong.

Her mind flickered from Kiara’s smiling face to X’yrin’s lovely and chiseled features to a pair of mismatched eyes that had not flickered through her memory for some weeks yet. She nearly stopped, her heart hammering in her chest as she began the ascent up the mountainside.

No—fix this first, fix this before you have a heart attack, you moron. She growled and broke out into a run, her slender scarred legs eating up the ground. Her frustration at herself and at the arctic female drove her onward as she navigated the often treacherous slopes of Halcyon. Rock and bush made way for snow, and she allowed herself to slow as the mingled smell of Kiara and rabbit graced her nose. She paused, panting heavily as she looked over her shoulder toward home, and slowed to a walk the final hundred yards.

“Kiara!” Vesper snapped—or tried to snap, when she saw her white-furred friend settled contentedly in the snow. Instead, her voice came out as some garbled yap that was barely recognizable. Saliva dripped from her lolling tongue, and she gave her angular head a quick shake as she came forward. “Kiara, I tracked you from Inferni! What were you think—?”

Her very badly thought-out scolding ended abruptly as she saw the heavy stomach underneath the female’s well-built and lean frame. The core of her own body began to ache and twist and throb as the accompanying smell of milk and pregnancy wafted toward her, but for a moment she was able to put aside her own subconscious terrors to recognize what this meant.

“You’re—you’re—” the tawny female tried to say, and she gave up and went flying forward, snow exploding around her as she bounded like a puppy toward the arctic wolf and pushed her head with ferocious affection against hers. “When did this—who is the—well, damn, Kiara!” She laughed once, loudly, stepping back to just stare at the friend she realized she hadn’t seen in quite some time.

<style type="text/css">
.vestper b {font-weight:bold; color:#697d87; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#bab1b5 1px 1px 2px;}
.vestper t {font-style:italic; color:#697d87; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#bab1b5 1px 1px 2px;}
.vestper .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold; color:#697d87; text-shadow:#bab1b5 1px 1px 2px;}
.vestper {width:500px; margin:0 auto; background-color:#b9c0c2; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/hZRG5.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding:370px 0px 4px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#6e7073; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>

[/html]
[html]

Word Count :: 425

lol, Ves.

Kiara's head snapped to the side when her name was called. The voice was familiar and more than welcome, although the call itself had come in a strange yap. Her fluffy tail began to wag happily across the snow and Kiara gave her wolf like yip in greeting. A large toothy smile spread over the white wolf's face. Not only was she happy to see Vesper, but the line of spit that hung from the coywolf's tongue looked really funny. As Vesper came forward and her accusing words blurted out, Kiara's smile drooped a little and her tail stopped wagging. She had just wanted to see her friend and to tell her the good news. Not to mention she really missed Vesper. Snowy ears drooped as Vesper's scolding words came flying at her and an apologetic look was thrown the coywolf's way.

Soon the scolding turned into surprised and broken speech, which only made Kiara smile again. Her face beamed proudly as Vesper took in the pregnant female's form and her snowy tail wagged even harder. Kiara was proud of her puppies, even if she wasn't happy that their father had abandoned her. Her love for puppies had only been enhance by the happy surprise of pregnancy. Soon Vesper's tawny form flew towards Kaira and the two females rubbed their heads together affectionately. In no time both females were laughing and Kiara pawed the air a little as Vesper stood back. Her chest swelled with pride again as her pregnant form was eyed by Vesper. "I met a wonderful male who couldn't shift and...well...things happen. That's why I just had to visit you! I wanted to see you again and your my best friend! I just had to tell you. They should be born soon, and I can't wait for them to meet you. Plus, we haven't seen each other in a long time."

It had been too long since the females had lest met and upon seeing Vesper again, Kiara realized just how much she had missed the coywolf. Vesper was Kiara's first friend in Nova Scotia and although they didn't meet often, she always enjoyed their time together. "If you don't want me to visit Inferni then you should come visit more often, especially now that X'yrin is the leader." The arctic wolf's voice had taken on a joking tone, although she really did wish that Vesper would visit her more often. Even if her experience with Emma had been a positive one, those wolf skulls would haunt her dreams for a while.

<style type="text/css">
.character-Springmom .ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.character-Springmom {margin:0px auto; width:466px; background-color:#425D3F; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/4Usfm.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 400px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#24CF81; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 371

A range of expressions crossed the arctic wolf’s pretty face, just as Vesper went through several stages of figuring out the basic facts of what was in front of her. She felt sheepish for her silliness, but this was Kiara, and so keeping some macho-man image didn’t matter. She was happy to grin at her friend, tail wagging, as she listened to the woman’s explanation.

The tawny wolf was about to make some remark about random one night stands although she knew nothing about this male, but the snowy woman went on and caused her grin to soften. She came forward and bumped her head gently against Kiara’s. She thought fondly of her, and knew that Kiara considered her a good friend despite their distance, but it still touched her that the pregnant she-wolf had been so excited to come see her.

She chuckled quietly at the other’s joking tone. “Yeah, I guess I need to. But I’m a leader of Inferni now, too.” She winked then explained quickly. “Well, a subleader really. A lot’s been going on, which was why I was worried about you turning up on the borders.” Her smile faded, and she averted her eyes, weighed down with the knowledge that she shouldn’t impart much more information. Friends or not, she did not want the Ichikans to know all that was going on with the fire clan.

“But I’m happy for you,” she went on warmly, “and I’ll want to see when they’re born, of course! It’ll be nice to have more non-luperci in the world, if they choose to stay that way.” She blinked at this statement left her lips, and her ears turned down slightly. Already Kiara had friends who could shift while she could not, but what would it be like with children who might want to do the same? “I’ll have to instill four-legged pride in them,” she decided lightly, not wanting to make the mother-to-be worry about such things. “When’ll they be due? And uh, how are things with X’y leading?” She hoped everything was well, for she trusted her Nomad friend to guide the mountain pack with capable hands. She was more realistic and understanding than most of the “hippies,” anyway.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]

Word Count :: 519

OOC

Seeing Vesper again was wonderful and as they talked Kiara admired her old friend. It seemed to Kiara that Vesper had acquired even more scars, although that could just be her mind playing tricks on her. The proud female who had once been bound to a single form was always getting into fights. Perhaps that was the only difference between them. Kiara didn't really fight, so she had managed to avoid the virus. But Vesper, who had fought often, had become a luperci. Of course, she didn't think any less of Vesper because of the change, but it was a little strange. Other than Alonso and the random male she had once met, the arctic female didn't know any other non-infected canines in Nova Scotia. Was the virus really so hard to avoid? Would Kiara herself one day walk on two legs? Questions raced through her mind as the females rubbed heads again. She let loose a soft wine, and her tail pounded against the snow.

Vesper, a leader? Kiara's snowy jaw dropped in surprise. The white female was in such a state of shock that she barely noticed Vesper's reluctance to share information. "Vesper! That's amazing. I can't believe you have become a beta, er...subleader I mean. Congratulations." Two of Kiara's friends had become leaders. If Aeron and Noah became leaders than Kiara would personally know the leaders in all of the neighboring packs. It was exciting, and she was truly happy for her friend. Personally, she had no desire to become a leader or even a subleader. She didn't like being in charge and her personality was that of a subordinate.

"Thanks Ves." The snowy female's ears turned down almost at the same time as the coywolf's torn ones. Her children would enter the world without the ability to shift. All of their friends would be shifters and everyone else in their pack would have three forms. But not her children. They would be bound to the four legged form. Although Kiara would never voluntarily become infected, her children might. Would they hate her for not being a luperci? It was a frightening thought for the single mother and she shook her head vehemently. Vesper's comment made her smile weakly. "I guess you will. But luperci or not, they will still be my children. They should come around the end of the month. Right on time for the spring showers."

The conversation turned back to X'yrin and Kiara relaxed a little as her troubles vanished from the forefront of her mind. "Things are...different now. X'yrin is having us all learn how to fight...and our ranks have changed...but it's not all bad. Truthfully, I don't know what to think about the changes. The rest of the pack seems confused as well." Although she really liked X'yrin, the sudden change in leadership had confused her and things had grown complicated. Kiara shook her head a little and continued, "I just think it was really sudden, which is why it seems a little weird. Plus there was some turmoil right around the shift in ranks. Luperci things are so complicated."

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 399

She grinned cockily as the other congratulated her on her position—typical arrogant Vesper. One wouldn’t think she was haughty about her position within the clan, however; she did not acknowledge her rank often. Equality mattered to her more than power did, and all she wanted to do was have the authority to be able to help and guide her comrades. After all, many still had been in Inferni far longer than she had. What right did she, a scarred young hybrid from the north, have to boss them all around?

“It doesn’t mean too much yet,” she added with fake modesty, although the statement was true enough. She hadn’t needed to use her power—other than addressing the clan at the meeting after Halo’s fall. It was a strain to keep her face from darkening.

She was not relieved from that strain until Kiara had finished acknowledging her children in regards to the luperci. Vesper felt sad still, but she managed to focus on the positive for at least a moment. “I hope this will be a bountiful spring,” she murmured. “It should.” Her tail wagged briefly behind her. It was easier than her early life, she and her sister only beginning to open their eyes in the cold, bright transition between autumn and winter. Perhaps that was what made Sparrow weak and Vesper strong. All of her friend’s children should be strong, however.

Her ears pricked as Kiara explained the situation of X’yrin’s lead, and she frowned faintly. She might have called the Ichikans slow and foolish for not being able to adapt to a better leader—although that was unfair to say, as she’d never known Razekiel or Nayru—but truly, what if Ezekiel was not Aquila? She would be lost and confused and suspicious too, looking for weaknesses to exploit, and she was adaptable.

“Does anyone go to her with these concerns? They wouldn’t think of leaving Ichika, would they?” She was distressed, suddenly. While her leadership had resulted in little nose, X’yrin was so capable, a true Shepard, and she didn’t want to see her golden friend’s reign ruined before it truly began. “I mean, learning defense is smart. I’m surprised more of you haven’t—” Her eyes dropped as she remembered Amy, and she cut off that statement. Not fair, not fair at all. She plopped her butt in the snow and frowned.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]

Word Count :: 000

Rambly, sorry.

Vesper was a great coywolf, she really was. The multi-hued female was incredibly supportive of Kiara and it made the white female feel well loved and cared for. Even if they weren't pack, the bond between the two females was strong. No matter what happened, Kiara believed that they would always be true friends. Although, in reality they made a strange combo. Vesper was worldly and she always seemed to be getting into fights. Her determination and strength were the stuff of envy and despite her many scars, her beauty knew no bounds. Kiara on the other hand had no desire or experience in fighting. The one physical conflict she had been it had been rather one sided and if it weren't for Vesper, things would have turned out a lot worse. Kiara's happy-go-lucky nature and ignorance to the luperci world was an incredible contrast to Vesper, and somehow they were dear friends.

When the white wolf congratulated her friend, it was met with modesty. Kiara shook her head, trying to impress upon her friend how wonderful her position was. "Being a Beta always means a lot. I'm really impressed." Kiara smiled at Vesper's wish for a bountiful spring, she too wished for the same thing. Spring was a leaner time than winter. The prey was healthier and their movement was no longer limited by snow. Wolves could run across the snow easily, making winter a time of bounty and feasts. Spring and summer was a little more difficult for an uninfected wolf like Kiara. "I hope so too."

The shift in Vesper's attitude was a little startling. The corner of the coywolf's mouth flicked down while her ears twitched forward. The expecting mother shook her head at Vespers questions and her white ears dropped. "I don't know. We had a meeting, but it didn't go very well. I hope no one leaves." Again, Vesper expressed her doubts and concerns, but something cut her off. Kiara cocked her head to side as she usually did when she was confused. Vesper's ears drooped and she plopped down into the snow to sulk. Kiara whined worriedly and moved to sit next to her friend. She nuzzled Vesper's shoulder and sat quietly.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]