Journey's End?
There wasn’t much left in Alduin. His legs trembled with each heavy step he took toward wherever he was going. His throat was dry, his stomach empty, and what little enthusiasm he had for life was gone. Had he not laid eyes on the mountains from afar, he would have long since given up his seemingly pointless endeavor. It was the comfort of familiarity that drove him. Mountains meant safety, and safety meant a good place to rest. And who knows? Perhaps he would find a passer-by willing to spin a tale for him. A good, long story and a bit to eat and drink. The thought was nice.

But as Alduin approached, the scent of unfamiliar wolves flooded his nose. For a moment, he hesitated, hoping no one had taken notice of him. He was certain that he reeked of dried blood and other smells that weren’t easy on the nose. He began to regret not taking the time to wash it out better at the last pond he came across. He stood frozen, tail suddenly erect and head held high with his nose to the flowing wind. He knew not what threats await him, but he hoped for friendly faces and warm eyes.
[html]

Hey there. Is this an All Welcomed thread? Hope it's ok that I join it.

She'd been wandering the border for what felt like days; the female hadn't been taking much time to rest or sleep lately, intent on protecting their border and digging more trenches to ward away outsiders. She didn't expect war, but she prepared for it nonetheless; Naniko was a practical creature who tried to be overly prepared for any trial that she would come up upon. She knew that her pack members would probably tick another pack off eventually, and hoped to be ready for that. That meant reinforcing her scent and the fact that these lands were claimed by a leader who cared enough to go around and mark and remark things.

The female rarely went unshifted, but on this day she had chosen her four-legged form. Running along the borderline felt very different with four paws, but she felt as if she was moving faster and more efficiently this way. A small bag was strapped to her back that held all the necessary items she might need if she came across another canine during her rounds. Her daggers, belt, and a few other necessities. She'd have to shift to use them, but that wasn't a problem.

Naniko came across the other as she padded over the crest of a hill. Her hackles immediately raised in alarm, tail coming up to arc over her back to reflect her dominance. She approached slowly, keeping one canine tooth bared to the stranger. Her green eyes glinted with suspicion as she looked upon him, unsure of his reason for coming to the border of Anathema on this day. "You there. What are you doing lurking around my border?" She called crossly.

<style>
.James-K-01 .ooc {font-size:10px; font-style:italic;}
.James-K-01 p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.James-K-01 b {font-family:verdana; color:#be8e77; text-shadow:#dcdcdc 0px 0px 2px; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.James-K-01 {background-color:#f9f8f6; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; width:460px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/8578/jam11.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 147px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; border-radius:8px; } .James-K-01-border {width:462px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:8px;}</style>
[/html]
ooc: Absolutely fine by me =) Just wanna see if Alduin here will fit in with the pack.

ic:
His head tilted with curiosity as he watched her tread toward him, her tail held high and eyes bright and vicious. He wasn’t quite sure why, but the closer this lady got to him, the more compelled he felt to flop over. Then suddenly, he found his unshifted body on its side, tail tucked between his legs and ears pricked back. It was a comfortable position, he would admit, and for whatever reason it felt entirely natural. He did feel exposed, though, and he wasn’t fond of that little tidbit. Nevertheless, he remained where he was. The last thing he wanted after a long trek was a fight. After all, he hadn’t the energy for such a thing.

So it was with a racing heart and trembling body that he attempted to find his voice. “I do beg your pardon, Madam. Your mountains would be what drew me in. Work of art, they are.” Alduin forced a grin. Honestly, he was scared out of his wits. “And while I wouldn’t like to use the term ‘lurking’, I would like to remain here for a bit, with your permission, if only to have my curiosity satisfied. Perhaps with your help, ma’am?

He was surprised that he hadn’t stuttered. His throat felt as though it would close up any minute, considering the level of fear he felt deep within. Had he been physically capable of running or fighting, he would have felt better. So, for the time being Alduin kept his starving body on the ground. Hopefully he wouldn’t have to run.
[html]

Sure :] I really like him! He seems sweet ^^ Naniko's not as bad as she seems -pats her-

She wasn't an entirely heartless creature, though she hadn't stayed on top of the pack by being nice and generous to just everyone. She was interested in hearing what this canine had to say about why they'd chosen to come to her borders, of all places. The fact that Alduin dropped down to his side impressed her - he was showing her that he was no threat and that he was not going to try to attack her, something that caught her attention immediately. His words came next, explaining that he was looking to hang around the territory for a while. This wasn't something that she was particularly fond of; Anathema wasn't the most secretive of packs, but security did matter to her. If he was to be within the territory, she would assign some kind of guard to him or would watch him herself. That much was for sure.

"Indeed they are, sir. What do you call yourself? I am Naniko D'Angelo, leader of the Anathema pack. I call these mountains my home." She said in greeting. He did appear to be in a fix of sorts, though she couldn't guess how hungry he was or for how long he had been in that state. However, she didn't think that a canine would come to her border seeking help unless they really needed it. Her expression remained thoughtful as she considered what he had said. What if he were some sort of spy from another pack? A canine sent to cause harm to her or her pack? She had to take things like that into account. "Where do you come from? And..why did you leave there to come here?" She needed to know this, first. "Also..what do you seek to know about my pack? Walk with me." The decision was made, partially. She would at least let him stay for the night, more if both of them found themselves to be in agreeance with the conditions of such a stay.

<style>
.James-K-01 b {font-family:verdana; color:#be8e77; text-shadow:#dcdcdc 0px 0px 2px; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.James-K-01 {background-color:#f9f8f6; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; width:460px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/8578/jam11.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 147px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; border-radius:8px; } .James-K-01-border {width:462px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:8px;}</style>
[/html]
The idea of a walk was thrilling, and Alduin nearly sprung to his feet as Naniko told him to follow. Instead, he struggled for a moment, and loosed a huff of disapproval. His legs would not work no matter how badly his mind begged and pleaded. The Alaskan creature let his head drop in defeat, but kept his eyes loosely fixed on the leader. Her face was painted with thought. He could tell she had many questions, and not just by the words that passed those deadly teeth of hers.

Alduin’s mind raced now. Her expressions and her words became his motivation. Knowledge lay ahead, and he would not lie helpless while it walked away from him. He muscled through the pain standing brought him and slowly found himself able to stand on all four feet again. A growl rumbled in his throat as the sharp pricks of pain coursed through his beaten body. Immediately, he bowed his head in apology.

I do not mean any ill will toward you, Miz D’Angelo. If you’ll excuse that, please. It has been a long journey,” he requested as humbly as he could manage.

He glanced behind him, sighed, and carried on to make his way next to but slightly behind his new acquaintance. He listened to her questions, took a moment to digest what was said, then spoke.

I am born of the Alaskan tundra, to my late mother and late father, Amelia and Voltaire, respectively. I would not pretend that I left because it was my time to do so,” he said with a cringe. “However, I would like to leave it at that for now.

He smiled apologetically, knowing the she-wolf would have liked to know more. Although he did not grow up in a pack, he was certain that wolves in a position of leadership did not like talking to someone they knew nothing about.

Perhaps later, though, my Lady. It is a recent wound that yet bleeds,” he stated, almost laughing at how almost literal the metaphor was. “Ah, but what I wish to know is not of your pack, ma’am. I would prefer, if you do not mind, to know about you. Ah..hmm..you see, while I am interested in your family as a whole, I find that the tales of the individual tend to tickle my fancy a bit more.

Alduin’s grin widened. He probably sounded foolish, but so be it. He couldn’t resist a good story.

So, if you are willing, I would like to hear the legend of Naniko D’Angelo—even if it is the smallest tidbit of a tale.
[html]

Slight PP of them getting close to the caves. Feel free to have them walk inside and go toward the food storage - here is a cave map :3 Sorry for the long post!

The female turned back to watch him struggle, a frown gracing her features. Was there something wrong with the way that his body worked? Perhaps he had some sort of illness or ailment that made walking difficult. One of her distant cousins, a loner named Wretch, had broken her leg a few times throughout her life and had issues with walking long distances, she remembered. Perhaps this was a similar situation. Her curiosity on the matter was soon satisfied as he explained that it had been a long journey. This she could understand. She waited for him to make it to his feet, watching encouragingly. If he was really that exhausted, it was a wonder that he was willing to go walk with her at all. She carried no food on her today, though, and he'd have to walk to be able to get back to the caves with her.

Naniko did not expect him to tell her his life story without something of equal value in return. He hadn't offered much information but what he did was important to her. Anathema took in all sorts of lost souls with a variety of different backgrounds. She did directly seek to recruit canines who had no other place to go or who weren't welcomed in other packs so that she could give them a fresh start and help them learn how to function in a pack. Her rules weren't strict, but punishments were harsh and that seemed to keep the would-be vagabonds in line. Violence and inter-pack abuse was not welcomed, but nearly anything else was.

She would ask no more about his past, for the time being. If he chose to stuck around she'd likely prod him about it in the future, but only if she were willing to share the same sort of things about herself. There were still a few instances from her past that burned in her heart when she thought about them....the day that her parents had abandoned her, the day that her adopted mother had turned on her and attacked...and then her exile from Crimson Dreams. Each of those had left a sore spot, and she hadn't spoken about any of those instances with another canine since her father had passed on nearly four years prior.

The Angela kept to a slower pace, not wanting to push his body any further than she needed to. She was in no rush and wanted to have the time to discuss things with him that he wanted to know. They could talk more once they got back to Howling Caverns, as well..after he'd been fed. "I'm nearly six years old, boy...nothing about my history is short" She fell silent for a few moments before beginning to speak once more. "I was born to two fathers, Roman D'Angelo and Physe Revlis. Physe raised me for a few months before I...moved to a different pack, one known as Clouded Tears. I lived there for a year or so and was nearly up to a leadership rank when the fires came, forcing me and the rest of the pack over Halcyon, this very mountain. I established a pack with a few family and friends, one that ended up disbanding and reforming.

She looked back to him to be sure he was still following before continuing. "My leadership there was revoked and I left to search for family and friends of mine that had gone a different direction when the fires had come and discovered many other D'Angelos living on the other side of the mountain. Then I chose to form Anathema, a pack where any and all canines are welcomed so long as they keep peace within our borders and don't bring war to my front door. I've lived, loved, and lost...as anyone else has. I have children, a few of which live here and in other packs in the area." She said. She'd had four living litters over her lifetime...Caprica, Rio, Scorpius, and her three young sons were the lifeblood of Anathema. She wasn't certain what else he wanted to know...but she could dive in a little deeper. "We're nearly there."

<style>
[/html]
ooc; No worries on the PP and long post! I enjoy a good read n.n

ic;
Alduin was careful to remain behind Naniko as they traveled. He was far too afraid of getting nipped if he said the wrong thing at the wrong time. His mother would do that when he was younger. The thought brought a smile to his lips, but it faded as darker memories clouded his mind. Despite the distraction of the past, he listened intently, absorbing every detail into memory. She was rather accomplished for her age, it seemed. It didn’t take long for Alduin to decide she was destined for more.

As the Angela came to the end of her tale, the male’s ear flickered wildly at the word ‘love’. He understood its meaning, but only in the way that a child could love its parents. His paws hesitated as he meditated on the word, freezing him in place for a fraction of a second before he regained consciousness and continued on. It was something he would have to think about later.

However, ‘lost’ Alduin understood now and in its entirety. His heart sunk, and there was a war waged within himself to keep his anguish from being vocalized. He was convinced this woman had gone through much more in her six years than he had in his one and change. Certainly she did not want to hear the whining of a young adult, so he bit his cheek instead. It was enough for now.

Your life has been nothing short of amazing, madam. Tragic as it may seem at some points, it looks as if you’ve made it work in your favor,” he said sweetly. He somewhat regretted the words as they left his lips. Surely someone like Naniko did not need to be told she did well for herself. However, it seemed the polite thing to say after such a tale.

It wasn’t until after he’d open his mouth that he noticed they had wandered quite far into a massive cave. Having been enthralled by the Angela’s story, Alduin failed to realize where his legs were taking him; and, although by the side of the pack’s leader, he felt as if he were trespassing on sacred ground. Fear and anxiety washed over him as he pressed on, taking a few steps to his right to be closer to Naniko. It was habit, really. She was a she, and Alduin felt compelled to stand closer to a mother figure in these strange lands.

I b-beg your pardon, Miz D-D’Angelo,” he stuttered quietly. “I did not mean to invade your home… If you will exc-…

He stopped mid-step, mouth agape. The scent of fresh rations flooded his nostrils, inviting him to dine upon them until his belly stretched beyond its limits. Had he been able to, he would have found himself drooling. His nose pointed in the direction of the delectable smells, his eyes staring off in the distance. He craved it—all of it. However, it was not his to take, and his lips turned to a frown as reality set in. He would not be welcome to the food. Understandably so, though. He did not hunt it. He did not prepare it. He would not eat it. So, he turned to Naniko and bowed his head in shame.

My deepest and sincerest of apologies, ma’am. It seems I have fallen out of countenance, and forgotten my place.
[html]

Well this one's a bit shorter =3

She had children this one's age, adults that she hadn't seen in quite some time. Naniko had always hoped that Brooklyn and Salem would return to 'Souls someday but didn't really expect it any more - too much time had passed. They were likely happy where they were, somewhere far away from here. She'd gotten a few back, something that made her quite happy. She nodded in simple agreement to his words as they neared the cave system, not pausing in her steps as they went toward the food storage. He didn't look to be in the best condition and it didn't seem as if he had carried anything substantial with him...so she could guess that he hadn't eaten in some time.

Of course, if he had, she would be fine with simply going to talk in the common room. "Home sweet home. Each has their own space in our pack, either above or below ground. There are a few houses and cabins that could use some fixing up above ground, as well as a small village. You have nothing to apologize for - it was my intention to bring you here. Food and rest will do you good no matter how long you choose to stay for. I wouldn't turn a wanderer out when I could instead make a new friend or ally." A move that could put her ahead in the game, perhaps. "We have quite a bit of elk..some deer, too. A few pounds won't put us behind much." She said. "Once you've picked what you want, we can talk more. You never said where you were headed after this."

<style>
[/html]
ooc; Hope you don't mind me having them walk to the dining area. If needed, I can edit it to say otherwise =)

ic;

Alduin acknowledged Naniko’s words, smiling weakly in response. The thought of becoming a friend to someone so accomplished humbled him greatly, and he was thankful for the thought of it. But in a moment of greed, though, he found himself hoping that she might extend an invitation to live in Anathema. While he missed the comfort and familiarity of his parents’ home, he knew that he could not go back. The only thing that waited for him there was sorrow and agony. Oh, but how he wished he could return! The feeling of his warm bed, a belly full of mother’s sweet cooking, and the knowledge that his parents would be there in the morning was the greatest feeling he could ever imagine. Ah, but what a crybaby I’m turning out to be, he thought.

So he continued on, eventually finding Naniko and himself standing before the entrance to the storage room. He could do little more than stand frozen on the spot, eyes wide and stomach growling audibly as he looked upon the pack’s stores. He felt terrible to delving into something he hadn’t worked for, but Naniko’s offer was too good for him to pass up. He would only take what he needed to bring him his strength back, though, and nothing more. Before diving in, he turned to Naniko and lowered himself into the deepest bow he could fathom in his un-shifted form.

Madam, words will not suffice for expressing how appreciative I am right now. I swear to you, I will replenish your wares by two fold what I take when my strength finds me again,” he said respectfully.

Alduin rose up and took his pick of a medium sized slab of elk into his mouth. As rude as he felt taking the meat into his mouth, he could do no better since he couldn’t shift. He did his best to apologize through his eyes when he turned back to the Angela. Looking around, he figured the food storage area was not the appropriate place to dig in, so he slowly made his way toward the larger room they had passed on the way in here. Eventually, he found a place in what seemed to be a dining facility and settled down for a quick bite. Before speaking, he took the liberty of tearing off a large chunk of the raw elk, taking time to chew slowly and savoring every bit of the meat. Yes, it was uncooked, but he would much rather deal with a full sour stomach than an empty stomach any day. He swallowed, and sighed happily.

I was not headed anywhere in particular. I just ran. Had to get away from things. I do not know what lies beyond your lands, and to be honest, I was not counting on making it any further. I thought I would surely perish at your borders.

He took another bite of the elk, contemplating his words and thanking his lucky stars Naniko had found him before death swept him away.
[html]

Tis just fine! Sorry for the wait <3 Been across the state visiting family and just got back today :] Spring break's almost up! D:

To a canine who did not know the twists and turns of the Anathema cave system, the place likely seemed like a maze. She had explored it with another canine when she'd first discovered it and had reveled in the fact that she'd gotten lost so many times. She took it as a sign that if another canine trespassed, they would become lost as well. Now there were more scents there from the thirty canines that occupied the dens and other areas of the caves, but an outsider wouldn't know individual scents (unless they had friends or family in the pack) and would probably be just as confused as before.

She was an unconventional kind of canine and tried to run her pack in a way that would leave outsiders guessing. "Everyone needs help sometimes. There is no shame in asking for it nor needing it. I believe that you would do so if you had the strength." She said. They'd ended up in the common room, the central area for dining and other pack activities. Canines padded through the den, nodding to her or lowering their tails and ears as they passed. A gray and black male in Optime form stopped by for a moment, looking curiously at the outsider. Who's this, Mother?" He inquired, looking the stranger over. "A guest, Judas. He's come a long way to get here." Judas seemed pleased with that, tail beginning to wag behind him."Is he going to be a new pack member?" The youth prodded curiously.

Naniko looked from her son back to Alduin. "That is his choice, son. Why don't you go and check on the fires down in the northwestern tunnel? I noticed the last time I walked through there that the torches seemed a bit lacking. They should be replaced." That ended the exchange, the young adult taking the order and nodding. He looked to Alduin once and gave him a smile of welcoming before nodding deeply to his mother and padding across the cave to the tunnel that the pair had come from. "Excuse him - he's just gotten his adult rank and is learning the ways of the pack. I can show you to guest quarters...though I like to keep outsiders monitored if I can. You're welcomed to stay up to a week to regain your strength, unless you choose to make the stay more permanent" Then he could go without an escort.

<style>
[/html]
ooc; Oh that's ok! I've been down the sickness of the season and haven't been able to do much, so it was a nice break n.n

ic;
Alduin returned Judas’ smile as warmly as he could muster while he chewed his last bit of elk. He seemed kind, as did all the wolves that passed before them. He greeted them all with a gentle smile and wagging tail, even if they weren’t paying any heed to him. Had his mouth not been so occupied with the slab of elk, he would have addressed each individually. The sight of so many wolves in one place made him somewhat uneasy, but they didn’t seem to mean him any harm. It probably helped that he was next to their leader, too. Had they shown even the slightest bit of disapproval, however, he would have stopped eating and left immediately. He didn’t want to be unwelcomed, even if the Angela invited him.

So he followed them with his eyes until they were out of sight, watching for any sign of anger for him. He found none, and couldn’t help but perk up excitedly. It seemed that not all wolves were full of hate and distrust for strangers. This he could get used to.

Your family seems lovely, Miz D’Angelo. Were it capable, my fur would turn green with envy!” He chuckled lightly at the thought. A green wolf. What nonsense!

Her next words took him by surprise, and stopped his chuckling dead in its tracks. Was she truly allowing him to make his home here? He had nowhere else to go, and he wasn’t up to wandering any further than he had. Anathema seemed as good a place as any to make his new life, so why not? In a sudden burst of joy, Alduin sprung to his feet with a yelp. The tundra wolf ran circles around himself, giggling like a love-struck pup despite how his tired body pleaded for him to stop.

Why, yes! Yes, ma’am! I would very much like to make my stay as permanent as possible!

He finally slowed his circling to sit himself down. He panted heavily, catching his breath as quickly as he could before he bowed his head to the pack leader. A smile that yet danced on his lips was the only sign left of his childish outburst.

Forgive me, madam. I have presented thanks in a terribly inappropriate manner,” he said, whimpering softly in apology. “I was not raised in a pack, so I know not what is considered the correct form of expressing gratitude.

Oh wait. There was that.

Except a hug. I could hug you, if you wish.

He wasn’t sure if that was considered rude or not, but between his parents and himself, a good, heartfelt hug was the greatest form of thanks they could give. So he tilted his head to the side and wagged his tail furiously as he waited anxiously for Naniko’s answer.
[html]

Her son was not normally so pleasant toward outsiders, but if the canine was with his mother then he would be as friendly as possible. Each of the now-grown children were constantly fighting to gain their mother's attention so that she would be pleased with them and give them things that they wanted or needed. "We're all about family here, Alduin. Being a member of Anathema means that you will have help should you require it, a place to live, and pack members to rely upon for protection and food. Those were the main reasons that any given canine would join. "Each member makes it their own...it is their choice whether to sit at the Zepar rank their entire stay or put in the time and effort to rise in the ranks"

The male certainly seemed excited at the prospect of joining, and she looked at him curiously. Cave life was not for everyone (though canines had the option of living elsewhere) and Anathema wasn't for everyone. One really had to watch their attitude and the respect that they gave to other canines here...or face the consequences of that, at times. It depended upon the wolf, but Naniko would back any canine who told her that they were not being shown respect by a lower ranked pack member. Those who had risen up through the ranks had gained her respect and her ear when it came to complaints and punishments. "Before you get too excited, we do have a process for joining...a ceremony, if you would. The Rite of Agares. I would take my ceremonial dagger and make a small cut on your front paw...hand...whatever. And then make one on my own hand and join them, combining our blood. It would make you a part of our blood family here." She paused. "If you choose, hold your paw out to me. And after the ceremony a hug would certainly be acceptable, Son."

<style>
[/html]
[html]

`` D I S T U R B I A
nothing heard, nothing said, can’t even speak about it; on my life, on my head, don’t wanna think about it

Alduin listened to her patiently, tail sweeping slowly sideways on the cave floor. He wouldn’t admit it, but after she mentioned protection and food, he had unintentionally tuned out everything else for a moment. He winced at the words, and his head bowed slightly in shame. He wasn’t able to defend his family when they needed it the most. It was regrettable, to say the least, and now it was the darkest cloud that hung over his head every day of his life. For a moment, his eyes glanced around the caves again. The yellow eyed beast looked at each of the wolves that passed and every wall and structure built with care and family in mind. There was no way he could allow any of this to fall to ruin. So he turned his eyes back to Naniko, his body upright and radiating confidence. Anathema would be his home and his family. If he could help it, no one would suffer.

Confident as he appeared now, Alduin seemed to pale when Naniko mentioned the ceremony involving cutting. Small as it may be, torn flesh was still a terrible, recent memory to him. He shuddered visibly.

Ah, please… Excuse me for a moment, then,” he said weakly. “Perhaps this would be easier if I shifted.

He took a few steps away from the Angela, bowing as he did so. Alduin then sat down, closed his eyes, and meditated. Slowly, his body changed. His limbs grew longer and more human-like, and his body lengthened until he found he could stand on two legs. His weight shifted more to his hind legs to allow for better balance as the changes continued, painless and smooth as always. The fur on his body remained somewhat thick, but it was most evident near his head. His hair was long, falling down in mid-back length locks that faded from dark gray to white. As his shift continued, the strap of leather around his neck tightened to fit around his thick neck almost perfectly. He gripped the velvet pouch that was attached to it lovingly and sighed as his transformation became complete. After about fifteen minutes, his eyes opened and looked to his future leader, extending his newly formed hand toward her.

Pardon my absence, please, Miz D’Angelo. I am still learning how to shift quicker than that,” he said apologetically. He knelt down, head bowed in respect. “I am ready. I will keep them safe.

release me from this curse i’m in; trying to maintain, but i’m struggling. put on your pretty lies, you’re in the city of wonder

template by revo. <3

[/html]
[html]

PP of her performing the ceremony :3

She didn't mind doing the ceremony in either form - whether he wanted to shift to become more comfortable with it and make it easier was up to him. She did find it a bit simpler to grasp a hand than a paw, but Naniko had performed the ceremony so many times on both shifted and unshifted canines that she had experience doing both. The Angela turned slightly so not to see him shift, moving behind a boulder to complete her own transformation. She preferred not to allow others to see her shift, and when her tall form re-emerged from behind the boulder she saw him standing nearby as well. He spoke, expressing concern over the amount of time it had taken him to make the change happen.

"I do not mind waiting" She said in response to his words. " But in any case...I rarely shift, myself...and it took me just as long as you." She admitted. Naniko grasped her ceremonial dagger, pulling it out of its sheath. She'd had to remove all of her items and put them back on after the shift, and she tugged at the belt to make certain that its placement was right on her hips before moving on. "You'll be a Zepar, an unproven one, until you prove yourself worthy of a rank. We have many different tiers here, and basic hunting and scouting is expected of all members regardless of rank. I can give an explanation of the tiers after the ceremony."

She reached for his hand, making a quick and narrow slice across the central paw pad. She did the same to her own, intertwining her long fingers with his and allowing their combined blood to drip down to the floor. "It is done. Welcome to Anathema, Alduin." Naniko said, releasing his hand and giving her own a couple of good licks to clear away the blood. "I will take you to the hall of dens, where you might pick a living space. If indoor living pleases you, anyway. Know that even during the hottest summer days our caves are cool and damp - a relief. I personally feel that living indoors has more benefits tied to it than outdoors, but I won't be concerned if you prefer to stay elsewhere in the lands." She made to walk toward the hallway she'd mentioned, motioning for him to follow.

<style>
[/html]
[html]

`` D I S T U R B I A
nothing heard, nothing said, can’t even speak about it; on my life, on my head, don’t wanna think about it

ooc: I do have a question real quick. To choose a rank, I assume that the requried 20 IC posts begin after acceptance into the pack?

He had winced visibly when the blade ran through his hand, but the pain lasted only as long as the action itself. Oddly enough, the pain wasn’t the most dominant feeling of the ceremony. He wasn’t able to find the word for it until their fingers were laced together and the blood of both leader and follower slid down his fur and dripped to the floor.

Acceptance was what it was. He felt it stirring within himself, wreaking havoc on his emotions and clouding his mind with thoughts he could not make heads or tails of. It hit him in two ways: the first being that it was exhilarating. Knowing that he had found a new family to love and care for put Alduin in Cloud 9. There were many stories to hear, and so much of the land to explore. Everything was new, and fresh, and exciting! And he was young. Time, for now, wasn’t an issue to him. As far as he was concerned, he had Time in excess.

But that second half of acceptance was what was killing him inside. He had a new family, and would make new friends, and had new lands to scout and hunt on. It was all new, and he felt ashamed for it. He was throwing away everything he knew and loved before for something else. He was certain that others would tell him it was a good thing that he was moving on, but the memory of his parents yet lingered, haunting him at every turn and filling his mind with doubt. The change wouldn’t be as easy as some would expect.

Nevertheless, Alduin would make the best of it. When the ceremony came to a close, he mimicked Naniko and licked his wound clean, shuddering at the sight of the still-bleeding cut. It reminded him of far worse. But he moved on, pricking his ears forward to listening carefully to what his new Angela had to say. As she motioned for him to follow, he stood and went, deciding he would thank her properly after all was said and done.

I find myself with no words to describe my appreciation again, Miz D’Angelo. I would much prefer to live indoors,” he said quietly. His mind was still lost in the past. “One day, I will return the favor. For now, though, I have but one question for you.

He stood straight, chest out, and hands balled into fists at his side; but not to assert dominance—definitely not. He intended to display the sincerity in his coming words.

Madam, I do not care if this is a rank in the pack or not, but the most important thing I will do here is protect them. I will not allow the past to rear its ugly head. Not here, not to you and your family.” He spoke clearly and with a certainty that that would make even the most skeptical of creatures believe him. If his words weren’t enough, one would only have to look into his eyes and find the determination and eagerness to defend lying within.

release me from this curse i’m in; trying to maintain, but i’m struggling. put on your pretty lies, you’re in the city of wonder

template by revo. <3

[/html]
[html]

PM'd you :3

She'd been a member of many packs in the past, but none that had ever been exactly to her liking. Some had been too controlling, with leaders who sought to get personally involved in their members lives too much...and others hadn't been very safe places to live or mismanaged. She hoped that she had corrected many of those mistakes with Anathema. It was exactly what she wanted it to be and more than she could have ever dreamed for in a pack. It was a safe haven for lost souls, a place where a canine could go if they were unwelcomed in other places. Her own values and her past experiences had helped birth this wondrous place.

"Well, I'll leave you to do so once you've picked a den. I have a few extra furs in my den that I could spare for the chillier nights, something to start you off" As he got situated and used to living in the pack, he'd be able to spruce his den up more with different items. "Some of the members are very big on bartering and trading, you might see if you can gather valuable objects for them. I personally would trade my bear-skin for some well-preserved human objects. I collect anything that I can from that time." She shared as they walked.

The pair came to the hallway and she pointed him toward a few dens that were unoccupied. "I can understand that...it's a good trait to have. You might want to start with the basics, scouting the borders and hunting...and make sure to meet as many members as you can. They'll become friends and rivals in the months to come. I believe you when you say that you will protect the pack and the things that we hold dear, and am glad that I can count you among the members of Anathema." The leader said, taking a seat outside a pair of unoccupied dens. She'd wait for him to pick one to his liking before going back to her own den to gather the furs. "I'll get the furs..then you can take a rest if you desire."

<style>
[/html]
[html]

`` D I S T U R B I A

ooc; If it’s acceptable, Alduin will be taking den #2 =)

I would appreciate that, Miz D’Angelo,” he said, ever thankful and happy that the woman had allowed him a home. She had even offered him furs to start. He was beginning to wonder what kind spirit he ought to thank for stopping him at Anathema’s borders.

While the Angela explained bartering and her personal likings toward human objects, Alduin made sure to both listen intently and browse the open dens available to him. Many were occupied, but there were still some that craved that touch of a wolf’s creative mind. There were bare walls to decorate, adequate floor space for side tables and a bed, and perhaps even space for a small critter of his very own. The company would be nice. The Alaskan wolf’s eyes sparkled with delight as ideas flooded his mind. He couldn’t have been happier to have so much to do.

Not too long after Naniko had finished speaking, Alduin had chosen a den. It was close to the common room and close to an exit if he needed to get away for a while. He hoped for many wolves to pass so that he could stop them and converse. The desire to socializing was odd, but after everything that had happened, the idea of keeping occupied seemed rather appealing. So it was with a heavy heart that he turned to his Angela, pointing at the mouth of the den he had chosen.

If you do not mind, I would prefer this one here, ma’am. I think I’d like the sounds of chatter from the common area,” he said, hoping it wasn’t on reserve or anything of the sorts. He rubbed the back of his head sheepishly, grinning away. “And, perhaps, it would help keep me from getting too lost in here. I don’t imagine I’ll have an easy time navigating the tunnels at first.

Admittedly, the inner workings of the mountain were intimidating. It would take Alduin many months to get used to them and learn them like the back of his hand. He had decided long ago, though, that it was going to be worth it. It already seemed like it was.

And then something hit him like a ton of bricks. The weight of his journey began to crush him, and his legs buckled beneath his shifted form. He began to think that turning hadn’t been his brightest of ideas. It had taken far too much out of him, and he was now beginning to remember to acknowledge the fatigue.

You have been very kind to me, my Lady,” he began, feeling terrible about what he was about to say. “However, I find it becoming increasingly difficult to stay standing—or awake, for that matter. Would you mind so terribly if I took the rest of the day to regain my strength?

He appeared ashamed for he’d said. After everything Naniko had done for him today, he had the gall to ask that things be cut short. Although he was sure that a woman in her position had better things to do than follow him around all day, he felt it was rude to end things so quickly. If he didn’t though, he would end up sleeping where he stood.

template by revo. <3

[/html]
[html]

Much had happened since she'd left her den that morning to go out and scout the borders. She was glad to say that she now had a new pack member, one who seemed true and loyal - a rarity. Naniko did wonder if he would get along well with the others, some of whom liked to play hard and who didn't always get along well with other canines. If anyone bothered him, she hoped that he would be willing to come to her and tell her about it so she could handle it. Violence against others in the pack was against their laws, if it was discovered.

"Sounds good. I can understand feeling a bit lost at first...when I discovered this place I realized that the mystery of it was part of the reason it was perfect to house a pack. If an outsider got in, they'd likely become lost...only the pack knows of our various escape holes and the way around here." Something that the pack could definitely use to their advantage.

She could understand his need to rest - the day had been long and he'd shifted, as well. She was surprised that he'd stayed together for this long. "Honesty will get you a long way here, boy. I'll come by later with more furs - there should be at least one still in there that you can sleep on, at least." Naniko gave him a deep nod before turning back toward her own den. "Feel free to seek me out if you have any questions or concerns in the future"

<style>
[/html]
[html]

`` D I S T U R B I A

Alduin smiled kindly, relieved that Naniko would allow him the rest he so desperately craved. The world seemed so heavy to him now. His body felt like it weighed a ton, and his legs could barely support him. He visibly struggled to keep his eyelids from shutting tight just long enough to say his goodbyes. It wouldn’t be too long before the beast collapsed.

Then, madam, I shall take my leave,” he said, bowing as deeply as he could without falling over himself. “Please, do not feel obligated to bring me anything. I would hate to trouble you any more than I already have.

He rose slowly, blinking hard a few times to keep himself awake just a bit longer. For as long as he could tolerate, Alduin kept his eyes focused on Naniko. He wasn’t sure what it was about her, but she so reminded him of his own mother. A gentle smile played on his lips as he nodded his head to the Angela once more before he would walk into his den.

I cannot thank you enough,” he said humbly, “but know that I will make good on my promise to you earlier. When I find my strength again, I will return the family’s wares at least two-fold, if not more. I will call on you when that day comes, my Lady.

And with that, Alduin turned away and stumbled into his den. Never before had he been so happy to collapse and be greeted by a stone floor. So tired, he was, that he missed the fur Naniko had mentioned and instead landed beside it, knocked out cold but happy to rest. He could only hope the nightmares would stay away long enough for him to make a full recovery.

end

template by revo. <3

[/html]