teeming with souls shall it ever be
[html]
For Meghann!! Smile A nice slow-paced thread! WC:308

It had taken her several days to slowly make her way to the coast. After her frightening encounter with the northern pack's sentry, Colibri was particularly careful to skirt around the borders of the claimed territories. She knew there was another pack near the beach here, but their scent markers were further down the coast so it did not concern her. What was more troubling was that she could not seem to find any signs of Dahlia de Mai... Had they disbanded? Cercelee and her piebald mate must never have returned, but... hadn't Conor taken over after the war? The last time she saw her baby brother had been many seasons ago, but he had already grown into such a fine young man by then. An uneasiness settled over her, clouding her ice-blue eyes with doubt. Had something happened to him during her absence?

Colibri sighed, letting her legs dangle over the rocky cliff's edge. Her convalescing body had regained some of its former willowy grace, but there was still something ragged and weary about her. The salt spray of the ocean tasted fresh on her tongue, although the air here was cold with the late winter chill. She vaguely remembered this place, although it felt like a lifetime ago. Trapped between two packs, falling in love and having no one to talk her through it, fear of being destroyed by the man who sired her... The turmoil and depression had driven her to this coast, to try and escape. She rubbed the thin scars on her wrists, feeling them begin to ache dully in the briny air. She had done nothing with the life that green-eyed angel had saved for her. Perhaps she had been right all along, it would have been better if he let her die that night. Now she had blood on her hands.

[/html]
[html]
Sorry for the wait :<

His children were growing fast, and Skoll had already learned to shift. Hati would shift soon, the King could already see; the darker, more somber boy did not seem nearly as thrilled about his brother's shifting as everyone else did, and Vigilante suspected there was a jealousy factor in the way the darker boy viewed the lighter one. Charlotte did not seem to integrate herself into the silent battle her dark brother waged, but rather, she reveled in being the only daughter, a fact she reminded him of often, with a coy smile and a twinkle in her eyes.

It was not often that the King ventured outside of the pack lands, but on this day he did, finding the air in his home strangely thick. Some days, he found himself feeling overwhelmed by all of it, even if nothing seemed to be happening that might cause him to feel so. There were times when the Haskel man wondered if this was what he was meant to be doing. Though he had ceased his acts with the death of his sister, with few exceptions since, he still firmly believed in what he had been doing. Without doing it himself, he felt as if many were escaping the hand of justice they so deserved to meet. It sickened him, when he let himself think it.

Shaking his head, the massive secui male growled lightly to himself, pulling his thoughts away from that. Jade eyes took in his surroundings and he realized that he had been here before, and, belatedly, he was not alone now.

<style type="text/css">
.vigi9001-box {width:300px;height:352px;float:right;}
.vigi9001 b {font-weight:bold; color:#807873; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; }
.vigi9001-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#514739; text-align:center;}
.vigi9001 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.vigi9001{margin:0 auto; width:90%; max-width:700px; background-color:#383838; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/uaWBN.png); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #101010; padding: 10px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
</style> [/html]
[html]
You know I don't mind! =) WC: 316

The sound of far-off footsteps caused her to tense up momentarily, but she did not turn her head to see who else was wandering the rocky shore. A pack sentry would have already hailed her; this canine padded in a slow, relaxed gait, clearly not concerned with her presence. She would have stubbornly ignored the other completely if the cold sea breeze hadn't drifted his approaching scent in her direction. It reminded her of Alder; the warm scents of horsehide and leather, coupled with acrid metal and the nostalgic sweetness of a household. This male, for his scent was undeniably masculine, obviously belonged to the Cour des Miracles. So they were the pack on the beach, she realized, mentally noting that this was where Alder lived should she need to contact him.

Drawing her legs up to her chest, the Optime glanced casually over her shoulder to the stranger. They were high above the water, its turbulent rumbling and hissing of spray quiet background noise. She saw he was in the halfling form, heavy muscles bulky beneath his thick fur coat. His curled tail and blunt muzzle denoted that he was more dog than wolf, perhaps no wolf at all. And then, as he came into view, his figure became more familiar. The dark mask that marked his face, the pale mixture of sand, cream, and stone grey that made up his pelt, and... those vivid green eyes, unforgettable. The last time she had seen him, he had been in his Optime form -- saving her life, firmly trying to guide her onto the right path. He was real after all, not simply a dream or half-forgotten hallucination. She suddenly felt anxious and ashamed, knowing it would disappoint the angel to know how she had fallen further. Colibri stood up wordlessly to watch him, wondering if he would even remember her from their encounter years ago.

[/html]
[html]
If this post is weird or hard to follow, I'm sorry. :c I'm on oxycodone after my accident and it makes me weird and dizzy and hard to follow myself, heh.

The figure rose to her two feet, and Vigilante studied her intently. "You live still," he stated simply, the words carrying across the distance with ease. It was not said with praise nor accusation; it was simple fact. He recognized her, though she had changed, just as he had. Time changed all beings, and he had only seen her on the brink of death, having attempted to end her own life by consuming flowers of deadly poison. Though he had not known her, the dog King had done all that he could to keep her here in this life, and seeing her now, it was obvious his attempts had succeeded.

There was no way for him to know what she had done with the gift of life after they had parted ways, no way for him to know if she had done something worthwhile with it. Perhaps she had made more attempts on her life, or perhaps she had given that up in lieu of living as she was meant to. Her attempt on her own life had been for the crime of loving a woman, and briefly Vigilante wondered if she had ever reconciled with that woman or if they had both moved on. And yet, such things did not matter, for she had stayed alive. If she had done nothing else, she had lived, and that was worth more than anything.

<style type="text/css">
.vigi9001 b {font-weight:bold; color:#807873; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; }
.vigi9001-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#514739; text-align:center;}
.vigi9001{margin:0 auto; width:90%; max-width:700px; background-color:#383838; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/uaWBN.png); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #101010; padding: 10px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
</style> [/html]
[html]
I hope you are feeling better!! ;v;
WC: 275

His presence was intimidating to her. Colibri did not know of his rank, and still he seemed to radiate sheer power and dominance. Her troubled surliness quickly dissipated, replaced with awe and respect, mingling with more than a little anxiety. She could feel his intense green eyes surveying her, boring right through her. Shame threatened to bring tears welling to her eyes, an apology to her lips for all that she had squandered, the gift of life he had protected for her.

As the male addressed her, finally speaking, she self-consciously rubbed the thin scars on her wrists, the marks from her time as a captive. She should count herself lucky for having escaped death repeatedly, but it left her with the sour feeling that perhaps she was supposed to have died, over and over. "I do... sir," she replied softly, bowing her head in silent thanks. Of course she had never forgotten the actions her angel had taken for her, or the fierce words he had left her with. But something about his aura compelled her - no, pressured her - to be as honest as she could be, just as she had been that lonely night.

"But I fear that... I may not deserve the charity you gave me... I... I have taken lives myself." As her voice cracked, she could not hold his gaze any longer, and stared down at her feet, gritting her teeth tightly. He had been so vehement about the sanctity of life that a part of her was expecting him to strike her down, to enact vengeance for the souls she had extinguished. She would not defend herself.

[/html]
[html]
Much, much better! <3

The King was silent as she spoke, admitting something that must have been difficult for her to speak. He had not asked for the information, had not pressed for it; it had been given willingly, and so he knew it must be true. If not the whole truth, that much had to be. Taking lives was nothing he was unaccustomed to. In fact, hers was the only life he had directly saved. All others he had saved by taking the evils out of their lives, freeing them from those that did them harm. She was different.

"I have taken far more than I can count," he spoke, his tone serious. "If lives are taken from those that do not deserve them... I cannot fault that." The girl with the bobtail had not explained the circumstances, and he hoped that she would not tell him next that she had taken the lives of innocents. Such a thing was hardly forgivable. Innocent lives should never be taken, no matter the reason.

<style type="text/css">
</style> [/html]
[html]
Ahh that is a relief! 8) Did you buy a doggie seatbelt??
WC: 253

There was no blow forthcoming, no divine retribution striking her down. She blinked, cautiously looking back to the angel of mercy. His expression was so serious, and yet his words were... understanding. He did not fault her. And more surprisingly, he admitted to the same burden -- having extinguished lives himself. Colibri wanted to tell him that what she had done was righteous, but she could not even convince herself. Self defense was justifiable, and yet there had been four victims and only one of her. Would it not have been less evil for her one death than the quartet of theirs? They were young, barely yearlings, trying to make a name for themselves. If they had killed her, would they have gone on to kill again, or would it have taught them the error of their ways?

"...Who can be the judge of that?" she whispered miserably. "I was trying to protect myself... but... I wanted revenge as well, for how they mistreated me. I could have punished them without killing them, and escaped. But that's... not what happened..." The more she thought about it, the more she regretted her actions. She had been their captive, taking the brunt of their frustrations and cruel taunts. The coyotes were not innocent, but at best they were empowered bullies, leading her towards a fate they did not fully comprehend. Fear of Inferni and the skulls at their borders was the motivation she needed to free herself. Had fatally poisoning them been her only option?

[/html]