some feathers i stole from the birds
[html]
After what had been hours of walking, Laurel had branched off from his merry little band to explore the lands much further to the north of Halifax with nothing more than his chosen instrument strapped to his back. When he had set off it had barely been morning and he had barely eaten breakfast, but there was much to be seen as far as he was concerned. By the time he had made it to the river that rested deep within the valley though, evening was setting in quick. Really, the region was something pretty with all of its quaintly overgrowth and worn paths and broken roads. Straight down the rows of corn that grew wild all over the place with no one to care or tend them. Wildlife, he mused, surely flourished in such a place.

With no intentions to return to his makeshift camp for the night, Laurel had seated himself beneath an oak tree that overlooked the river. The humid air foretold many things of what would be brewing down the road; he could almost taste the rain in the air despite the fact that he couldn't find a single cloud in the fading colours of the sky. So instead he settled on resting, playing a tune loosely on his banjo that probably made him seem like some backwoods hillbilly. Had he possibly put a weed in his mouth to hang out, he could have very well fit that part to a T, even if he was a bit overdressed for the part. His playing for the most part had few recognisable tunes because like his travelling, it was just as aimless as it could have possibly been. Perfect for the day, in his mind.
[/html]
[html]
ooc

You are the weapon I choose.

Asphyxia was around to mind her own business for a change as she, for once in her life, skipped around in her own glory as she thought about Skoll. Although, music interrupted her thoughts and she was curious, she had never met anyone who could actually play music. Following the sound, she ended up in front of a hillbilly coyote that was strumming an interment. She put on a, barely, halfhearted smile, "Wha's that?"

The black female was kind of curious, red eyes scanning the male. She had definitely never seen a male with such different style before, in fact neither had she seen a female dressed the same sort of style. Today, she was deciding to be half nice but only for the fact that she was in a happy mood because of the thought of Skoll and because he was a coyote, which meant he could get a free ticket of talking to Asphyxia without her terrible mood swings.

[/html]
[html]
It was a known fact that when there is music being played, someone will hear it. And once it is heard, they are often drawn in by the sound of it. Time and experience had certainly taught Laurel that and he had rarely found a place to play in peace throughout his lifetime… but his vague mastery of the instrument also gave him the confidence to play it with intent to draw in a listening ear. So when someone did stumble into his view against the horizon, creeping in ever so entangled in their thoughts, he played on. The only time he stopped was when the dark-haired coyote had questioned him, to which he had to peer down at the banjo questioningly.

“This thing? It's an instrument. A banjo, to be precise. A member of the stringed instrument family and my favourite.” Flicking his olive eyes up to meet her garnet ones, he couldn't help but draw her in the same way he eyed anyone else over. But his gaze was a lingering one as he spoke on in a silky tone. “I'm a travelling musician, you see. A gypsy, even.” Her eyes carried that glossed over appearance, a look that he had seen one too many times before. Perhaps even one he dared to share. “Are you from around here? Perhaps from this local group of coyotes I've heard about?” Laurent's words rang in the back of his mind and despite his openness towards species, all coyotes were kin to him.
[/html]
[html]
ooc

The ebony female looked at him as he spoke and she smiled as he said banjo, "I've never heard such a word before." she sat down a few feet away from him, but in front of him technically. Quietly she sat, totally amazed by the interment he held. "It's really neat though, it's... like nothing I've ever seen before." for some reason she felt like a whole new world was opening up in front of her eyes.

Sitting in thought, she finally met the man's gaze, "A traveler? That's interesting. I used to be one myself, but I settled down to take care of my kids, but they are all older now you see...so I have no one to take care of now, all on my own." except for Skoll of course, but she didn't want to say anything about it, to jinx it.

[/html]
[html]
“Ah, sounds like that empty nest syndrome I hear folks talk about sometimes,” he remarked. Though she didn't answer his question about where she had come from, he knew there was a 50-50 shot that she was. It wasn't overly important either, considering that he had only settled somewhere himself. “Can't say I know what it's like to be tied down for very long, but if you ever get the itchy foot to wander a bit, there's a nice big city to the south that might have a few of these things left lying around.” And speaking of being tied down, the only thing that had been tied down to him had been Nikita. Though he had never tried to shake her loose from him, he knew there would be a time when she would grow bored of him just like he did of things and take off.

But their relationship was remarkable simple. “Care to give this thing a shot though? I promise it won't bite even if it doesn't make the best of sounds sometimes.” He lifted the banjo by its neck without her answer, offering it out to this perfect stranger. Laurel was probably too trusting… but no one had ever taken off with it before and many had turned down a chance to try and play such a simply designed instrument. There had even been a time when he had been absolutely no good at the thing at all, when every sound and tune attempted was off and wrong. All of that was probably as distant as the days when her children needed her for every little thing, being oh so dependent on the creature that had brought them into the world.
[/html]
[html]
I fail at life ! D=

Her eyes lightened a little as he obviously understood, "Yes..something like that." maybe it was also realizing what her children had become, just like her and even stronger and fierce. However, she blew everything from her mind as she looked up at the stranger, she smiled, "Sure..I'm sure I could try." she lightly took it from him and held it the proper way, strumming it lightly as she slowly moved her fingers along the strings. It made a terrible noise, nothing like he was making earlier. However, when she did one string at a time, it wasn't all that bad, she fiddled with it but whenever she put more than one string together, it sounded horrible, and she obviously wasn't playing right. "Oh dear... I'm not that great with artistic talent unless it's pretty patterns of blood dancing along the earthly floor." she chuckled with a sigh as she handed it back to him, "Grace, especially music, is not my thing."

[/html]
Nah, you don't. Hope you're feeling better though.

[html]
He had met few that could get a chord right on the first try. Usually the ones who could had dealt with something similar before, like a guitar. Still, he couldn't say that her attempt was all that bad. She didn't jack around on the thing like she was Mick Jagger in front of a crowd around ten thousand, but what she did say after that made him ponder momentarily. “I don't think music is supposed to be our thing. At least playing instruments… these are the things that man made before us.” And for the same reason he liked to wear clothes, he liked to create music in whatever way. Simple fascinations. “But no one does very well on their first try, it always takes practice. I don't think there really are many prodigies out there; I've never met any, at least.”
[/html]
[html]
haha thanks.

Asphyxia quietly listened to what he had to say, and it was definitely true at least. Their music was the sound of horror, swept across the land and a big blood bath as everyone howled with rage and pain, that was her symphony. "It would be nice...if that was our forté, but it's not. Instead, it's battling, murdering just to stay alive. Killing innocent ones, just to get revenge and especially cruel if they have nothing to do with the incident." more about what she was blabbering about had a lot to do what Haku did. Killing a mother and child in Inferni, and raping Asphyxia just because Asphyxia was out of her tree, insane and tried to kill Mew which ended up killing her children. "I know I have done a lot of this, most of it is my fault...along with my kind. We were born and bred to be this way, to kill with a smile on our pitiful faces."

[/html]
[html]
No doubt about it, the more she talked, the more he began to realise that the look in her eyes was just more than from hitting the bottle one too many times. She was sick, so sick that it had manifested itself deeply in her head that it wasn't so easily picked out. But it wasn't the first time he had ever met anyone who spoke the way that she had and just from the tone in her voice he knew that it came from much more than a bad time. They were all capable of speaking in the voices of what had been handed down to them, what had been ingrained in their blood for as long as it had needed to be. But he didn't say anything, for a moment, not really sure how to address something like that. It wasn't his place to meddle in the affairs of others, though he desired to say differently. “Sounds like a hard life to live,” was the thing that came out instead, his expression unchanging for the time being. “But maybe you'll break the cycle one day.” It had been a long time since he had come across anyone who spoke in the way that she did.
[/html]
[html]
we should finish this up within the next couple posts?

Asphyxia looked down in her lap, ashamed of who she was. "Maybe someday we can all walk to our borders...shake hands and say 'lets make peace'." she shook her head and looked back up at him, "But till then... we have no hope." especially for the rage between Dhalia and Inferni, everything was starting to brew. Quietly she looked at him, sick of hearing her sickening angelic voice. It broke, cracked, every time she spoke, "There's not much left." she wasn't even probably going to remember this talk, especially not if she saw a face of Dhalia... but Skoll was all that was left of her, even her children were ravenous monsters.

[/html]
Works for me. Smile
[html]
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... rel/t2.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

“Call me a bit of a cynic, but I don't think we're going to see peace in our lifetime,” he said, tucking a leg underneath himself to stand. “Wolves and coyotes have fought each other and fought amongst themselves for hundreds and hundreds of years. It's just apart of who we are, but now we're capable of decided whether or not we roll with the punches or throw them.” By now he felt like he had the sure enough footing to say his mind, even though when it all boiled down to it he never really cared what side he was on. Laurel avoided fighting, even if he was far from a pacifist. Just like everyone else, he was capable of having a burning, seething rage that could rise up from the bowels of Hell. “I should probably start heading back, but if you're ever just west of Halifax, you should look me up. Maybe we could catch a drink or two,” he offered, not feeling the desire to spend the night so far away from what he was most familiar with any more.

[/html]
[html]
ooc

Asphyxia looked at him as he spoke. It was true, they were never going to see peace. It was for the years and years of loss and everyone trying to get back at each other that did it. The years of fighting and all the revenge put up with, eventually it became too much for people and no one could deal with it anymore. And even reading about the way humans lived, they were the same way and at least they eventually became somewhat proper but then everything happening, wiping them right off the face of the planet, "Okay, that sounds good. I will see you around sometime." and with that, she got up and started to walk away, going somewhere to think, clear her head, anywhere that wasn't claimed as 'home'.

[/html]