A Bit Too Far
OOC - Anyone that wants to reply, go for it, eager for Kace to get socialized! Thanks!

Kace Grey's furry paws emerged from her den, stretching her small body forward. A yawn erupted from her maw and she trotted out, a slight breeze ruffling her white mane. She sat in the grass, absentmindedly obliterating an itch behind her left ear with her left hind leg. A whine of content rose in her throat and she yawned again, then bounced to her legs, a wolfish smile teasing her muzzle as her tail wagged back and forth eagerly.

The small den, if you could call it that, was merely a hole dug out from under a Witch Hazel bush. Perhaps it had been occupied previously by another small creature, Kace wasn't sure, nor did it matter. Her small size allowed her to comfortably curl up into a sleeping position inside the small crevice, well, when she did decide to sleep. The pup's boundless energy almost deprived her of dreams, but every now and then she did become exhausted from a day's excursions. The grove of Witch Hazel plants was perhaps five miles from the coast, a good ten miles from either pack land to the west and northeast. Kace had heard Jeera refer to the land as Shiloh Hills, and the sea to the south was the Atlantic.

As the young pup continued to prance out into the open, halfheartedly chasing a bird here and there, another beast crept behind the row of bushes. The creature licked her lips and let out a soft purr, and at almost twice the size of the little wolf, she happily prepared to pounce her prey. Kace, oblivious to the presence eying her, turned her back, and the larger animal leaped.

Ah! Jeera! Kace squealed, half giggling, half fighting to catch her breath. The white pup rolled out from under the grasp of the large Canadian Lynx, Jeera, the pup's guardian. Jeera's silver and mahogany fur was still thick from the previous winter. A coy smile emerged on her lips and she nonchalantly licked her paws.

Kace, be aware you young thing. How many times must I tell you that you can't take for granted your safety here. The cat let out a yawn of her own and paced around the pup.

I know, I know, came the impatient reply, but I just woke up! I was having -

Jeera cut Kace short with a quiet growl and a shake of her head. Just woke up or not, you must always be aware of your surroundings. Next time it won't be a friendly Lynx waiting to tackle your sorry hide.

Kace responded with an eye roll, then rose to her paws again and shook her fur. Okay, fine, I'll be aware. Are we going hunting today!? Kace asked eagerly, lowering her front paws, watching her mentor with a gleam in her eye.

Jeera replied without meeting the eyes of her young charge. I am going to go hunting. YOU are going to go hunting. There is no 'we', today, little one. And since a wolf cannot survive simply on fish, head north. Jeera acknowledged the direction with a slight nod of her head. Kace groaned and rolled over on her back, her eagerness suddenly gone.

But what am I supposed to hunt? Birds, squirrels, chipmunks? the young one whined.

Yes, that is exactly what you are supposed to hunt. No fish today, not until you bring some mammalian carcass back to this den. North, or perhaps west, will be your best bet. But remember that there are pack lands in the vicinity. If you choose north, do not go beyond the lake. If I catch you there I'll have your innards in my belly, Kace. I mean it, packs mean business, do not intrude upon their lands. Jeera's green, hazel eyes met Kace's golden tinted ones. The pup blinked in response and nodded slowly.

I won't go passed the lake, Jeera. I'll meet you back here in the evening? Kace said softly, her confidence slowly ebbing away.

Yes, or before if you catch something sooner. Don't rush, take your time, stay as hidden as your albino self can. I have business to attend to, little one. Be safe and guard your rear. The cat rested a paw on Kace's head for a moment, flexed her leg muscles, then launched to the southeast of the den, leaving Kace to her own devices. The puppy sighed heavily, a sound of despair escaping her throat. With her head down and tail half between her legs, she journeyed northward, keeping to the underbrush as she could.
[html]
My cold dark tower seems so bright

Word Count :: 664 'nother kid to the rescue!

Skoll had been nervous about venturing outside of Cour des Miracles ever since the ocean had nearly swallowed him up. He knew that one puppy could not survive without an adult in the wilderness for long—not without an insane amount of luck, luck the boy supposed he had worn out surviving two catastrophes. However, ever since his first shift, the child had stopped thinking of himself as such. He wasn’t yet a grownup yet, of course, but puberty had taken hold of his body and shot his confidence up to insanely high levels. He was already a cocky kid, if good at heart, but at six months of age, he was entering an even worse stage.

That did not mean the golden prince was completely senseless, of course. He was very cautious as he made his way south from the border; he wouldn’t get lost in the hills as he’d had when he was little. Ears constantly swiveled, eyes peeled for danger as he took deep breaths of the surrounding smells. Most of it was unremarkable—new grass pushing through the earth, salt from the sea, rabbit trails too old to investigate.

To be doubly careful, Skoll donned his halfling shape for this journey. He was already on the large end of size for his age, weighing in at eighty pounds, but in secui form he was double that. One could see the bulk in him, the muscles familiar to all wolves and to the dog breeds that made up part of his heritage. He looked powerful and wolfy and dangerous—if not for the silly grin on his face.

The young Haskel was perhaps too sure that the area was safe, for he was making a lot of noise as he ran through the hills. Stretching his muscles in a gallop, he ran all along the slopes and grass, careful every once in a while to double back in the direction he came from so he wouldn’t venture too far. Luckily, this piece of territory was sandwiched between the Court and Crimson Dreams, and he was sure if he bumped into the latter, one of Alder’s family members might want to take him home. At least he could make a lot of noise declaring he knew Oak and explaining that he was a good boy and a prince and they shouldn’t punish him.

A pink tongue spilled from creamy jaws, lolling as the yellowish kid tested the limits of speed in secui. He liked all his forms so far, though he’d used optime a lot after his first shift just because he could do so much with his hands. It was fun to run on all fours again, though, and he barked once in exhilaration before remembering that he was supposed to be careful. He stopped in his tracks, sniffing.

A wolf! Skoll thought, freezing up. Was it a good wolf, or a mean one? He sniffed once more, dismayed by the feline reek entwined with the scent. So was it really a bobcat smelling like a wolf? Could bobcats do that to trick their prey? Was it even a bobcat?

He was worried, and had he been months younger and several times smaller, he might have hidden in the grass until the scent went away. However, he wanted to know just what it was he was worried about, and so he crept forward carefully, peering down one of the slopes at a little white shape marching through the foliage that dotted the Shiloh Hills.

The boy blinked then laughed once, loudly, in relief. It wasn’t a bobcat, but a baby puppy—and one that looked like it would be one fourth his weight in his lupus form! No way could it hurt him—though it could get hurt. He hadn’t even been fully weaned when he was that size.

“Hey, you!” Skoll barked, hoping to get the little child’s attention—not aware how hulking and large he looked on the hilltop.

I swear it must be heaven's light

Image courtesy of night-fate-stock & SunOwl

<style>
.GR2_Skoll p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.GR2_Skoll b {font-family:verdana; color:#34717c; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.GR2_Skoll t {font-family:verdana; color:#34717c; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; letter-spacing:1px;}
.GR2_Skoll {background-color:#e0ebe9; font-family:verdana; font-size:10px; color:#000000; line-height:12px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/17/skoll1.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:100px 0px 0px 0px; border:0px solid #0000000; margin:0 auto; -webkit-border-top-left-radius: 18px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topleft: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topright: 18px; border-top-left-radius: 18px; border-top-right-radius: 18px; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.GR2_Skoll .inner {margin:0 10px; background-image:url(http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/4346/21bn0ba.png); border-radius:10px; border:0px solid #9fb8b6; }
.GR2_Skoll .top {color:#013743; text-align:right; font-family:Telex; font-size:14px; text-shadow:#9fb8b6 1px 1px 1px; line-height:20px; line-height:20px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px;}
.GR2_Skoll .bottom {color:#013743; text-align:right; font-family:Telex; font-size:14px; text-shadow:#9fb8b6 1px 1px 1px; line-height:20px; background-image:url(http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6238/skoll2.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:0px 15px 250px 15px; }
.GR2_Skoll .name {text-align:Left; font-family:Condiment; font-size:60px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px; line-height:51px;}
.GR2_Skoll .ooc {text-align:right; font-family:verdana; color:#000000; font-size:9px; border-bottom:1px dotted #000000; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}</style>[/html]
The small, white wolf had been in a better mood after sprinting happily a mile away from her small den. The chill in the air was welcome to the running she had been doing; the pleasant feeling of ruffled fur made her spirits sing. Kace had not found much in the realm of prey, aside from some sort of egg a few minutes into her adventure. She had cracked it and hungrily slurped the liquid out, then continued on her way. Unfortunately, an impressive bark punctured the peaceful day, and Kace skittered to a stop clumsily. Her ears twitched attentively and she backed up, tracking the noise up one of the hills. She saw a beautiful golden-coated wolf emerge. His figure was massive, much larger than her own slight body. Kace began to wish Jeera was near, although she was fairly sure that even her cat companion could do little assistance should this wolf have malice in his heart. And then, he spoke.

Kace's first instinct was to shrivel up into a ball and become invisible, however she knew that with the color of her fur that would be rather impossible. So, in response to the loud, booming voice that caught her by surprise, she reverted to a sitting position on her haunches, feigning confidence and a sly smile. Her tail swayed nervously, and her heart thrummed soundly in her ears. The pup had not seen another wolf, let alone a Secui, since her parents' death. She assumed his form was Secui, even though she had not seen one. Kace could tell by the scent he was male, more the musty, rugged scent than her mother's softer, almost fragrant aroma.

In verbal response, Kace gritted her teeth and tried to project her voice. Her greatest fear was that nothing but a squeak would be the result, but to her relief it sounded at least...somewhat...normal, for a young wolf.

Well hi there, she managed. Kace could feel her body quiver in either fear or excitement; she was not sure which, perhaps both. Fear for the new arrival's massive size, excitement for the chance to speak to another wolf. She swallowed with some difficulty and she spoke again. I haven't seen you around before. Are you a pack wolf? Why are you out of your lands? On a second thought, Kace might have regretted questioning his motives but second thoughts did not occur to the little one very often. She sighed a ragged breath in relief. The white wolf managed to find words, and in doing so her confidence was not entirely as fake as it had been.
[html]

Word Count :: 384 Silly Skoll. Anyway, he's surprised at her speech because according to the RP guide a two-month-old would sound like a human five-year-old. xD

The boy did not quite know how to feel seeing such a tiny puppy on neutral territory. Right now, he was mostly perplexed at how she hadn’t gotten eaten yet—and somewhat jealous that her guardians had let her roam around when he’d been cooped up in the safety of the pack lands at that age. Or—maybe she was lost? Or maybe even she didn’t have any guardians! His green eyes grew wider by the moment, his lips drooping in a faint frown as he watched her. Had he been an adult, he certainly would have known what to do, but the fact was that the prince was little more than a kid and only just now able to think so abstractly.

Even if his thoughts were rather disorganized, the young wolfdog’s instincts were completely intact. His eyes registered the pup’s movement, sitting confidently rather than cowering, and while he might have commended her braveness, the alpha-son in him wanted some respect. His golden tail lifted, half-curled over his back almost like a malamute’s, and he walked down the slope toward her with the proud gait of a king.

A wolf could smell mood to an extent, or at least agitation, and she was excited whether through fear or happiness. He cocked his head at her as she spoke, and all of a sudden she was just a puppy again. He began to smile and ask her more questions when she went on—the interrogator this time.

He almost jolted back in surprise. Her words weren’t what he’d expected, but he didn’t really know what he’d expected. She sounded like a miniature adult—was she a midget instead of a little puppy? Her voice was high but flowing, and his own puppy talk was fresh in his mind.

“I’m from Cour des Miracles,” Skoll replied at length. “And I’m outta my lands because I want to be!” He lifted his chin then realized how it might have sounded, and so he amended quickly: “Just stretchin’ my legs. I don’t explore outside a lot. But why are you out here all alone? You’re so little!” He squinted at her suspiciously, as if a lost child could possibly have ulterior motives. “Where’s your pack?” he pressed, tail quivering behind him. Puppies always belonged to packs!

<style>
.GR2_Skoll b {font-family:verdana; color:#34717c; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.GR2_Skoll t {font-family:verdana; color:#34717c; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; letter-spacing:1px;}
.GR2_Skoll {background-color:#e0ebe9; font-family:verdana; font-size:10px; color:#000000; line-height:12px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/17/skoll1.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:100px 0px 0px 0px; border:0px solid #0000000; margin:0 auto; -webkit-border-top-left-radius: 18px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topleft: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topright: 18px; border-top-left-radius: 18px; border-top-right-radius: 18px; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.GR2_Skoll .inner {margin:0 10px; background-image:url(http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/4346/21bn0ba.png); border-radius:10px; border:0px solid #9fb8b6; }
.GR2_Skoll .top {color:#013743; text-align:right; font-family:Telex; font-size:14px; text-shadow:#9fb8b6 1px 1px 1px; line-height:20px; line-height:20px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px;}
.GR2_Skoll .bottom {color:#013743; text-align:right; font-family:Telex; font-size:14px; text-shadow:#9fb8b6 1px 1px 1px; line-height:20px; background-image:url(http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6238/skoll2.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:0px 15px 250px 15px; }
.GR2_Skoll .name {text-align:Left; font-family:Condiment; font-size:60px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px; line-height:51px;}
.GR2_Skoll .ooc {text-align:right; font-family:verdana; color:#000000; font-size:9px; border-bottom:1px dotted #000000; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}</style>[/html]
OOC - Yush, I know, she's a SPECIAL five year old...buahaha...must...work on...>.> Tanks fer patience!

Kace let out a quiet giggle at his reaction. Her own thoughts reeled as well, pleased that he had provided an answer but slightly confused as to why he expected her to belong to a pack. That brought on his question, her own pack. I don't have one... she thought sadly, her head tilting automatically. What will he say to that? Will he try to take me away?

The white pup shrugged and stood up, waggling her furry body. She breathed again in relief that he at least sounded like he wasn't going to hurt her. Her words reflected her guard falling. Don't have one. She sat again, unsure if she should return his advances. And I'm out here hunting. Pup's gotta eat, ya know. Kace's eyes remained on him as he approached, the golden orbs flickering as she pressed her nose to the ground in an attempt to appear as though she was preoccupied.

In her mind, however, her thoughts were a jumbled mess. She silently wished and prayed that Jeera would appear out of nowhere, just for some comfort. But, Jeera was not the type of guardian to follow unnoticed. When she informed Kace that they would be hunting separately today, the Lynx meant it. Kace was on her own if this larger, menacing wolf chose to impose his advantages on her. She tried her hardest to block those thoughts, and turned to thoughts of her father and her lost brother for comfort. She thought of her father's warmth, and the coolness of his dark fur as he would lay with Kolt, herself, and mother. The only two males that she had met were her family. She hoped that this golden wolf would be like them.

Kace spoke again, half paying attention to an ant that inched its way across the ground. Am I that close to your land?
[html]

Word Count :: 508
Last post before class, haha. And simple reasoning make Skoll brain HURRRT.

For all his cockiness, Skoll was not that experienced in the world. He had always gotten off easy when it came to dark life lessons, such as that of the war that ravaged the southern packs. He was raised in a good family with good morals, protected by a good pack, surrounded by good influences. He was never too hungry or too cold. These factors helped him reach his large potential size and remain healthy and happy, but they also made him clueless about what to do beyond the borders. He was not a survivor because he had nothing to survive.

Her fluffy white body wiggled onto all fours, and the creamy-colored prince wanted to bowl her over—in fun, this time. He didn’t think that a wrestling game would go well while he was in his gargantuan secui shape, though, even if he was very good at being gentle with smaller pups.

Instead, he listened, and quirked an ear. No pack meant no family as far as he was concerned; the two terms were almost synonymous. He had met a lone wolf before, but the loner had been little and confused about packs, introducing her family as one instead. That had been good enough for him.

“Hunting?” Skoll laughed all of a sudden. “A pup’s gotta eat but you’re so tiny a rabbit could eat you!” Well, all right, that was an exaggeration. He realized that he was teasing, remembering his brother’s protests to their parents about it, and flicked his tail as if to dismiss what he’d said. He simply couldn’t imagine it, maybe because he’d never been forced to hunt that young. He was still amazed and squeally every time he caught a mouse, let alone a rabbit.

The girl pressed her snout to the earth, her voice half muffled as her breath stirred the dust and grass. And, like every other time so far, he was taken aback by her question—mostly because he didn’t know what she meant by it. Was she worried about trespassing, or was she wondering still why he was here? He grew frustrated by his own confusion, his own inexperience at talking to clueless little wolves, and huffed loudly as he took a seat.

“Not really,” Skoll confessed before blurting, “But you’re… You’re all alone! And I don’t want someone to eat you.”

That last admission sounded right coming out of his mouth, for once, and he gave a small and sincere nod to drive home that point. That was what was bothering him so much, not that she was a little hunter and seemingly careless or confident and an asker of questions. No, she was little and she was alone, and a king made sure innocents did not get hurt. He still remembered the last time he’d ventured into the forest all alone, when the bobcat had attacked him and the stranger had saved his life. He wanted to be like that wolf… He wanted to be brave like that wolf, and strong and rightful like his father!

<style>
The baby pup just giggled at his huffiness. It was something Kace had seen Kolt do when the two wrestled and she won. Kolt would puff out his chest, a low growl to threaten a rematch. But, this larger wolf was not Kolt, and she tried to remind herself of this. In response to his jest, Kace just smirked. Rabbit...please, they taste good, if you can catch them! She thought for a moment, then added, but my favorite is fish! Sometimes, Jeera and I go to the sea and she shows me how to get them! I like to fish, the water is fun even if it can get cold, but fish are better because they taste like salt from the sea! Kace's words were hurried and excited, but she did not realize she spoke Jeera's name, something the cat had instructed her not to do for protective purposes.

Oblivious to anything she might have uttered, she bounced up to the bigger wolf and giggled again. Mister Yellow Wolf, I don't know if you noticed, but there isn't exactly anyone else out here, and unless you plan on eating me I don't think I'll get ate. The white pup rolled over on her back, placing a paw on her nose as she continued to roll in laughter, but then she paused, her thoughts distracting her. This wolf showed some sort of concern for her. Aside from her parents, brother, and Jeera, Kace had never spoken to anyone. She had heard stories of how her father had been in battles, great wars fought with his pack. Stories of how her mother had raised great wolflings, Kace's brothers and sisters, much older than her, who had gone on to find their own way in life. Brax and Senna taught their two youngest little ones the camaraderie that could be found in a pack.

And then there was the raid. Kace's golden eyes blinked, and within five seconds, her memories had replayed the horrible morning as if it were yesterday...Perhaps five or six days ago, Kace had taken to pushing the memory back into the recesses of her mind, but this flashback was inevitable.

Kace, get down, muttered the cat, shoveling the young pup into a hole in the ground. Don't make a sound. Jeera patted the pup's nose and sauntered off, apparently in quite a hurry. Kace blinked, confused. Jeera had pushed her under a thick bush of barberries. Her tail flicked a branch and the morning dew chimed around her. There was no noise, even the rustling of Jeera's slithering was gone. Kace blinked again, then looked around, searching for her black furball of a brother. Kolt... she whispered. She dare not try again, disobeying Jeera was not something Mother appreciated. Then, suddenly, to disrupt the unusual quiet was a long, powerful howl. It was foreign to Kace; in response she backed further into the bush. The next noise she heard was that of her Father's. He spoke in a tongue that the scared white wolf could not comprehend. It was Father, she was sure, but the words he used were harsh, his tone demanding. It was unlike him.

Then there was a growl, a snarl, and a yelp. Mother. The yelp was from her mother. More growling and snarling. Kace gathered a fight was brewing but with who, she could not say. She did not know. Another yelp from Mother; Kace's eyes watered and she fought desperately to hold back a whine. It was as if the surrounding bushes were set ablaze with the fight, even though Kace could not see it. She longed for the companionship of her brother. His larger figure would shield her snow white fur. A hiss punctured the air, followed by a long yowl. Jeera. A yelp from an unknown wolf, a second that Kace could tell, the voice was different than the one that howled. Another cry, of terrible pain, arose from Mother. The next sound was a very loud, authoritative howl. Father. The howl was followed by a grunt, a growl, a thud, and then silence.

Kace did not possess the ability to tell time. Her mind wandered to safety, curled up next to Kolt and Mother, Father going on about his stories, Jeera perched lazily in a tree...It was mere moments before Jeera reappeared, red liquid smeared along her face, paws, and left flank. She urged Kace to move, eastward of her home. Jeera instructed her not to look back.

Kace snapped back to reality. The flashback had occurred in her head as a long two hour morning, but had taken seconds in front of her new...friend, as she had naively began to call him in her head. She shook her head, rolled back to her feet, and managed a smile at the yellow wolf. What's your favorite food? she asked, blinking again in an effort to suppress her memories.
[html]

Word Count :: 415 This post suucks.

A burst of words came from the little loner, and for once she was acting her age with the enthusiasm and rambling that was still common to the boy. His tail wiggled behind him as she talked about fishing, and while he might have stopped to ask who Jeera was, he instead babbled back at her: “I like fish from the streams; they’re easier to catch. The sea’s too big, and you can fall in. I fell in when I was little but luckily a nice dog-lady rescued me.” His voice was only slightly less speedy than hers (and how his used to be) though it was still pitched with mirth. He did want her to know how dangerous the ocean was, though, and was fully prepared to explain how scary the thrashing waves were and how cold they were and how he’d been ill afterward.

He snorted when she addressed him as “Mister Yellow Wolf” then smiled as she rolled around in the grass. “That’s not my name,” the secui-formed hybrid barked at her first. He lifted his chin arrogantly and corrected: “I am Prince Skoll Haskel, son of Vigilante!” Then his green eyes fell upon her again, looking over her tiny fluffy shape tumbling, vulnerable, on the ground. “What if I was an evil pup-eater wolf? Huh? What then?” He reached out with an oversized paw to stop her in her wiggling, peering down his nose at her. “Ya never know when someone nasty’ll show up. Just ’cause you got lucky this time doesn’t mean you’ll always get lucky. So don’t be so silly,” said the silly boy, scratching his ear with a hind paw.

The next question came—no surprise here—unexpectedly. He frowned at the random outburst, even though he was prone to them. Only now was Skoll beginning to see things from an adult’s perspective, but his hypocrisy was more out of ignorance rather than anything. He blinked and shrugged. “Deer’s really filling I guess.” He ate so much he didn’t really stop to think about food until it was in his stomach, especially the taste. Food was food, and deer was the biggest thing he could think of.

“I um…” Skoll looked at her, not sure where the conversation should go. He had entertained ideas of protecting her, but nothing eventful was happening. Would he stay here until he felt she was safe? Take her home? He didn’t know. Sighing, he decided to ask at last, “What’s your name?”

<style>
.GR2_Skoll b {color:#34717c; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.GR2_Skoll t {color:#34717c; font-size:11px; font-style:italic; letter-spacing:1px;}
.GR2_Skoll {background-color:#e0ebe9; font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/17/skoll1.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:100px 0px 0px 0px; border:0px solid #0000000; margin:0 auto; -webkit-border-top-left-radius: 18px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topleft: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topright: 18px; border-top-left-radius: 18px; border-top-right-radius: 18px; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.GR2_Skoll .ooc {text-align:right; font-family:verdana; color:#000000; font-size:10px; border-bottom:1px dotted #000000; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px;}
Another fit of giggles erupted from the white pup as he answered, and her mind struggled to keep up with his fast-paced words. Well, I know it's dangerous but it's best for me! Kace shook her fur eagerly. I'm not exactly the color of grass ya know. She managed a bored yawn, then stretched her small body out again.

In response to Skoll's name announcement, she smiled and touched her nose to his left leg, a gesture she had done to her father when he displayed affection or authority. Kace's voice was soft, hesitant as she spoke. Should I call you Prince, then? I don't know all about pack stuff. Her shoulders shrugged and she smiled at his next question. If you were an evil pup-eater wolf, I think you;d have already eaten me. 'Sides, I still gotta eat, and I'm probably too sour to eat anyway. The white wolf giggled again, her tail swaying lazily.

At the mention of deer, Kace stepped back and tilted her head curiously. In the care of her parents, she had only tasted small creatures; rabbit, of course the fish that Jeera had taught her to catch, the occasional fox or squirrel, more often smaller birds as well. Kace hadn't a clue what this deer thing was. So naturally, she questioned. What's that? And my name is Kace Grey, but you can just call me Kace. No prince or princess involved.

At this point she lost interest in Skoll, her golden eyes focused on a butterfly instead. It was a blue color and she nipped playfully at it, leaping into the air. The insect perched on a blade of grass, and then the grass was devoured by the mighty hunter. Naturally the butterfly managed to escape, but that did not deter Kace's energy. She diverted it to a satisfying back rub, rolling around in the grass a few feet to Skoll's left. Gettin' late, she observed, a sneeze racking her body. Shouldn't the prince get home?
[html]

Word Count :: 568

His green eyes narrowed at her giggling. This baby acted like she knew it all! To make matters even more frustrating for the half-shifted boy, she did know an awful lot more than he did. He smoldered as she gave an arrogant little yawn and a smug little stretch, as if to show how un-dangerous this place was. He almost wanted for a monster to appear now and try to gobble her up, just so he could save her and show her how wrong she was!

It was too petty to have a conniption over, however, and Skoll managed to brood silently and not reveal any of his mean thoughts. She wasn’t smarter but knew different sorts of information, information he hadn’t really needed to rely on in Court life. Sighing, he looked at her then blinked as her leathery little nose poked his leg. He resisted the urge to lift the limb, only listening and snorting though some of his grouchiness had faded.

“You can call me Skoll,” the boy said with a careless shrug. He liked for others to know his title, but forcing people to refer to him as a prince was not the way of a true good leader. “But my daddy’s the King of Cour des Miracles, the boss, the alpha.” He grinned slightly at her other retort, shaking his head. “You’d probably taste really bad,” he mocked, lifting a paw to poke her and wrinkling his muzzle as if with disgust. “I guess if an evil pup-eater wolf came, you could ask ’em silly questions all day and they’d fall asleep!”

When it turned out she didn’t know what a deer was, his ears came forward and he shook his head one more time, in disbelief. “A deer? It’s big, kinda bigger than a wolf, and it has four legs and hooves and some have branchy horns on their head called antlers.” Or at least that was how the bucks had appeared when he was growing up; he’d no way of really knowing that their antlers didn’t grow year-round. “Gosh, I wish I could get one now so you could see,” he lamented. He was sure that he could probably try to kill one, but he was still inexperienced in the ways of hunting. He could get rabbits sometimes, but a deer would take at least another friend to hunt, at least so it wouldn’t run away.

His nose wrinkled once more when she introduced herself, but he nodded and filtered her name away. He watched with wagging tail when she began to pounce after a blue butterfly, resisting the urge to join in the game. He was still at an age where it looked fun, but the boy did his best to appear dignified and adult in the face of this miniature child.

“You gotta be kidding me,” Skoll barked when she asked if he should get home. He leaped at her, his heavy secui body landing just a few inches away from her rolling body. He stared down at her, planting one giant paw on her tummy. “It’s not late for me, but you’re like a baby! You needa be home and safe ’afore I think about goin’ back.” His speech got sloppier as he spilled this order out, hoping that he looked menacing enough to be convincing—unaware that the butterfly had returned to perch between his ginger ears.

<style>
.GR2_Skoll b {color:#34717c; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.GR2_Skoll t {color:#34717c; font-size:11px; font-style:italic; letter-spacing:1px;}
.GR2_Skoll {background-color:#e0ebe9; font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/17/skoll1.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:100px 0px 0px 0px; border:0px solid #0000000; margin:0 auto; -webkit-border-top-left-radius: 18px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topleft: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topright: 18px; border-top-left-radius: 18px; border-top-right-radius: 18px; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.GR2_Skoll .ooc {text-align:right; font-family:verdana; color:#000000; font-size:10px; border-bottom:1px dotted #000000; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px;}
The smaller wolf pup blinked and leaned her body backwards as Skoll pounced at her, her demeanor left unchanged. The golden eyes seemed to dance as they watched the butterfly's wings intently, her mouth unable to contain the grin of happiness. Her new companion was like her, granted he was older. Well. You can keep your deer, and I'll keep my fish. Kace rolled on her back again and looked at him. It's nice to meet you Skoll, the last wolves I saw weren't nice. The pup rolled to lie down, pressing her head to her paws. She let out a forlorn sigh. 'Sides I bet anything as big as you is too tough to chew. Kace let out another giggle, then pretended to stalk Skoll's paw. As she lunged at it, she stopped just short of his leg, touched her paw to it, then almost singsonged a you're it , then bounded away behind him, up the hill Skoll had approached her on.

Her paws were heavy on the ground, kicking up blades of grass and dirt. She was laughing giddily until she came nose to nose with a rock with a rather large cat perched on it.

Jeera! Kace yelped, automatically scooting backwards, wary of the guardian. W-what are you doing here? Why are you here? she babbled.

Jeera shrugged obliviously and crouched on the rock, her tail swaying almost menacingly. Hello, little one. Her voice was laced with a mixture of concern and perhaps a tone of warning. Who is your friend? The lynx eyed Skoll further down the hill, the rock and lack of wind keeping her scent hidden from either of the wolves.

The timid pup's body quivered for fear of disappointing the cat, or maybe it was from the realization that Skoll could harm both of them. He...I mean, we...we were playing and talking... Kace's words became muted and slow. Her eyes closed and she laid down, whimpering softly. Jeera bounded off the rock and landed next to Kace. Her voice was still calm and smooth as she called out to Skoll. You're not an old wolf...still a pup...why are you out of your lands? My friend has not trespassed, has she offended you? Jeera stretched one of her claws out and pretended to be unconcerned.
[html]

Word Count :: 374

Concern darkened the boy’s sunny face when she mentioned other wolves not being nice. He did not ask questions, though, and more or less forgot about her remark when the girl teased him, giggling, and tapped his paw. He grinned, tongue lolling, and leaped up onto all fours once she’d sped away over the hills. His secui form was faster than the lupus one, and definitely he’d be able to catch up to her in a matter of seconds, but he’d always capped his speed when playing with slower children and this was no exception.

As he came to the top of the hill, however, his body aglow as if it were crafted with sunlight, Skoll’s smile vanished. His nose confirmed what his vision was telling him—bobcat, or something similar. A wolf who cared for the difference could note the longness in the legs and the distinguished ear-tufts that marked a lynx from its smaller-pawed cousin, but all the boy was thinking was that this bobcat could kill Kace in a second!

His tongue flicked over the dark leather of his nose, which had a slightly discolored stripe where feline claws had gashed it. His mane bristled on the back of his neck as he began to charge forward, but then a feminine voice reached him and he slowed down. He continued to growl, though, his tail twitching threateningly behind him as he loped toward the cat, wondering how quickly he could snatch the pup and run.

“I’m old and big enough,” the Haskel snarled, all of his muscles tensing as the lynx landed beside a whimpering Kace. He chose to ignore her other question, as he’d went over it with the little wolf already. His growl deepened, though it was not as ferocious as it could be when his voice fully matured. “You should leave, cat, or I’ll rip out your throat. I fought off one of you nasty pup-killing monsters before.”

Such violent words never passed his lips. He was almost surprised at himself, but this was an enemy predator, and harsh words could keep this from turning to real violence. He postured in addition to this, carrying himself powerfully and utilizing his halfling form to the best of his ability.

<style>
At this response Jeera managed a light laugh. She walked beyond Kace, swishing her long tail over the pup, brushing her now perked ears. I've no intention of leaving, boy. Kace is my... Jeera's own pink tongue poked out of her mouth, cautious of her next word. She pronounced it slowly, deliberately. Daughter ...of sorts... Jeera sat, her tail waving anxiously as Kace's body almost shuddered at the word.

The little snow colored wolf slinked beside Jeera, peering up at her. Did she mean that? Kace thought, her bright eyes blinking repeatedly. The cat seemed to ignore her newly declared offspring, though she did inch closer to the pup, as if to comfort her.

Young Skoll...I come to you as not a cat but as a friend, Kace's caretaker and her guardian. I have overheard the two of you, I realize you've no intention of harming her...I only watch over her. Jeera's green eyes focused on the sandy colored wolf, her voice still quiet. Before Jeera could stop Kace, however, the little wolf spoke.

Skoll, she's telling the truth! Kace sprinted to the larger canine, her words hurried. She is my guardian, my best friend and my only friend! Don't hurt her! I love her! Kace reared on her hind legs and placed her front paws on Skoll's furry chest. Kace's voice was a whisper. She's my family... She fell back to the ground, gnawing at her tongue nervously. Her ears twitched and heard Jeera's long winded sigh as the cat kept her distance. She won't hurt you...Right, Jeera? Kace turned her head back, seeking reassurance from her Lynx companion.

With a nod, Jeera took a tentative step forward. I am by far no wolf, let a lone a Luperci, but I am this young one's friend. Forgive her rapid outburst, she is still learning the ways of the wolf herself as best I can teach her. I realize you are still young as well...perhaps this confuses you? Jeera's head tilted and her tone lowered. You can tell him.

Kace shifted her weight between her forepaws and looked up at Skoll. My parents were killed a few days ago. Jeera's been taking care of me. Kace let out a tired sigh and her body seemed to shrink to an even smaller size than she already was. Her eyes closed and she swallowed, granted with a bit of difficulty as she suddenly felt the ghost of Jeera's presence beside her. The cat's soft, silky fur brushed against that of Kace's cheek, and the pup leaned into the cat. I'm sorry, Jeera...I should have been more careful... she muttered, her words almost losing meaning in the snow cat's furry coat.

Shh, my little one. This wolf has no intention of harming either of us. Jeera looked up at him. You are in your Secui form. Could Kace perhaps see your Lupus form? She has not seen another wolf since the death of her family. And, you are not that much older than you, I can tell. She might be less inclined to fear if you were closer to her size?
[html]

Word Count :: 747 I had to rewrite this, so it's mostly a loooot pointless introspection without dialogue... Poke me if you need more actual sustenance to reply to! Even if this is hella long...

There were many concepts in life that he did not have to stop and think about. Some came as a result of his upbringing, such as a lack of understanding about the pains of starvation or exposure to cold or the paranoia healthy for one without a pack to run with. Other thoughts were more daydreams, and while he’d laze around thinking that one wolf must be part ghost or part horse, he’d never suspected that a feline could raise a canine child.

A perplexed whine escaped the boy’s mouth before he suppressed it. His shock at the connection between the moschate lynx and the little puppy was evident in his animated face, his jaw slackening and his brows coming together to a sharp point of confusion. Even the news that bobcats and the sort had the capability of speech was beyond him; the young male that’d fought him off an old kill had been wordless and screeching and fierce. This female, named Jeera from what his scattered mind could piece together, was cultured like a luperci, but no less frightening.

Green eyes flicked to the cub for some cue of what to do, how to feel. She scampered toward him, balancing with her forepaws on his pale chest, and blurted out an explanation of her own. Desperation darkened her molten-gold eyes and caused him to feel sick to his stomach. He was driven as a wolf and as a dog to protect her, his dual-heritage propelling him to challenge this enemy predator for her safety. She was not very far from Cour des Miracles, either, and he wanted to fight for his pack.

But the prince had not been raised for violence, in spite of the war that wracked the Court in the early months of his life. His eyes dropped, and that little gesture was a stark transformation for the dominant wolfdog. His tightly curled tail loosened at his hocks as he conceded these points to the cat, though the tension did not fade from his body. His legs remained stiff as the lynx prowled forward.

And then the final revelation came—that Kace had been orphaned. Perhaps an adult would have responded with a sad look and deep sympathies, but for a naïve boy whose parents were very much alive and very much a part of his life, he did not know how to react. A whimper came from him at the thought, however, and the last pieces of his aggressive façade crumbled. He wanted to comfort her, but her story made him so upset that he didn’t think he could trust himself not to start burbling like a baby. No one should ever go without a family, not without at least one parent or even a big brother to take care of them.

His ears flattened against his head at the lynx’s comforting murmur—as if he ever had been a threat. Did Kace think he’d hurt her bad like her parents were hurt? He whimpered again, but then the female addressed him. His ears continued to lay flat against his broad skull, and one lip curled as if he were about to denounce her suggestion as a trick—a ploy to get him into a weaker form she could attack, if she didn’t just tack during the vulnerable minutes it would take the inexperienced luperci to shift.

But he did shift, a tingling going through his shoulders and haunches as mass melted away from his frame. Skoll was still large in his lupus shape, but it was a drastic change. Some of his youthfulness was revealed in his body, the fact that he still had room to grow, but he was a creature obviously built for endurance.

“Don’t be scared,” the boy told Kace in a faltering voice, upset very much by the thought of ever making her fear him like Jeera suggested. “You taste sour, ’member? I won’t hurt you!”

He looked desperately at Jeera. “She can’t be all alone!” he barked, managing to rouse some dominance yet although he was not at all the aggressive beast from before. “She needs—she needs a family, and you’re not—you’re not—you’re not a wolf! But she can’t be all alone and trying to be all by herself and a mean wolf could get her out here!” His thoughts all ran together, bumbling from his mouth; he was losing control of his emotions that glowed plain as day in his sad eyes.

<style>
OOC ~ I love responding to emotion, even if I'm not the best at it I love replying to it so no worries Big Grin

Jeera released a long, tired sigh after observing Skoll's instinctive reactions. Those motions, some subtle, some rather obvious, had much more meaning to the cat than it did to the young Kace, who had not learned much about pack behavior. She watched Kace's eyes grow large at the sight of Skoll's shifting, a phenomena the little one had not even had the chance of witnessing her parents perform. Her jaw almost squeaked on its hinges, but snapped shut suddenly at the golden wolf's words; words that brought another smile and snicker to the spirits of the white wolf.

The lynx realized that Kace lacked the knowledge and perhaps the even capability to comprehend the severity of her situation. To the pup, there was nothing odd about a lynx raising a puppy. Neither had a family, neither had any other companion. The lynx would be fine. Solitude was shelter for Jeera. Her inability to produce kits left her lacking in the mate department of life but with her independent nature it made no difference to her. Kace, however, filled so much of a missing puzzle piece that Jeera did not even know was missing. The day after the fight, Jeera had taken the pup miles southwest of her old home in an attempt to make her forget what happened. But, Jeera knew that it could not be forgotten, and until Kace could reach a reasonable age, she would not understand the deaths of her parents no more than she could not possibly understand the oddity of a lynx and wolf pup hunting together.

Skoll's babbled words almost made no sense to the cat, her mind had wandered off to the welfare of Kace Grey, the little yellow eyed, white wolf baby she loved so dearly. Jeera herself had had no contact with a pack. She realized, as the boy had shifted, how young he truly was. How innocent his heart was, and how pure his words were. Even in her life it was rare for Jeera to come across the beauty of innocence...maybe for the same reason her mind was fumbling with the idea of what to say or do in regards to Kace. She just had not fathomed a chance occurence would possibly spirit the young wolf away from her, perhaps never to be seen by the cat again.

However, if it was one thing Jeera was, it was logical. Her thoughts snapped back to reality and she purred loudly in an effort to calm herself. She nodded in agreement with the Cour des Miracles pack member. Even though he was young, his words were accurate. To the extent, Jeera believed he did not realize. In truth Jeera had expected Kace to be gone much later, the two live a secretive life, until she decided to roam on her own. She imagined if Kace were taken to the pack, surely a lynx would be unwelcomed. With this in mind, she chose her words carefully, trying to remember that the other wolf was still very much a child in his own right.

Your words ring truer than you can imagine, my friend. The cat's tail teased the nose of young Kace, who in turn played enthusiastically with the swaying thing, paying no heed to Jeera's words. Her family was taken from her...and I admit that this wild is no place for a pup her size, age, even her color... She let out a sigh, her eyes shifting to the pup. No matter how beautiful it may be.

However...she and I both realize we could not stay together, just us, forever. The days we have had...I'll always cherish them...but what if your pack were not so welcoming to her? She has no history of her family...no knowledge of her heritage, her ancestry...I can tell you her mother was an Arctic Wolf...her father Italian. She knows their names, and where they came from, but not their story. I am unfamiliar with pack laws and workings. What if you were to teach her? You are the first canine she has had contact with in more than ten days. Her spirit is not unabashed by her losses, as you see, but even as I care for her...
Jeera swallowed with a bit of difficulty, her voice cracking slightly. We all must part ways some time. With this, Kace 's ears twitched and she bounced over to the cat.

Aw, Jeera! No one's ever gone forever! You even told me that when they took mom and dad! And Kolt! We don't know what happened to him! And you'll always be around...like you were tonight, right? Kace's words caused the lynx to suppress a whine of dispair. She coughed, as if to pretend a hairball was emerging. Had the wolves been older her ruse would have been caught immediately. I love you, Jeera. Kace looked up expectantly at her, bushy white tail wagging in anticipation.

I...love you too, little one... Jeera looked down at her, oblivious to the other wolf at this point. The cat licked the pup's forehead and purred again, her furry cheeks brushing the ears of Kace. Skoll...you are a brave, young soul, and I'd never expect such a young prince to be so mature. Jeera sighed again and looked up at him. I dare not ask you unless you are sure she will be safe...would your pack...accept her? I will most certainly...watch from a distance, for a while, at least...maybe, when she is older, or the two of you venture out...will meet again. I imagine that you, young Skoll, enjoy your excursions? Jeera managed a smile and nuzzled Kace, still half ignoring the wolf. Her heart ached but the chance to find Kace a home made her warm with content.
[html]

Word Count :: 500

There was a subtle nod in response to his words, and Skoll realized when she spoke that he had been holding his breath; air went into his tensed body with a loud gulp as he forced himself to relax. This situation had changed greatly from how he thought it would be from the first time the puppy opened her mouth and addressed him with the words of an adult. It was all too easy to see that she still was the baby he’d said she was as she played blissfully with the short tail of her lynx caretaker.

Hesitantly, the boy lowered himself to his haunches when the cat spoke, instinctively knowing that she would have a lot to say. She conceded the point that this wilderness was too dangerous for a two-month-old cub, but when she began to speak of his pack, his ears came up and his face became alert. It’d perhaps always been in the back of his mind that he was responsible for hauling the younger child back to his beloved Kingdom, where his mom and daddy and Terra and Caspa and Strel and Alder and all the other Courtiers could take care of her.

He opened his mouth to protest, about to blurt out that of course they would welcome the pup and he’d make double-sure of it, but Jeera did not halt in her speech to give him a chance. All he could do was give a nod here and there, the little bobs of his head increasing in intensity with his conviction. He was maybe too young to teach anyone a lot of anything, but maybe this was his first chance as a newly-shifted pack member to prove himself. He’d always been able to run and play and learn at his leisure, but this was a newfound responsibility. He was already the first of his siblings to change shape, so maybe he could continue to distinguish himself.

Green eyes turned shyly away from the pair’s interaction, but they snapped back to the feline’s as she addressed him directly. He didn’t even swell up when she complimented him, as somehow he knew this matter was too important for petty preening.

“I—yes,” the prince stammered out. “The Court is good and the members are nice and the King wouldn’t turn away a puppy. We—we’ll take care of her!” This promise burst forth from his chest like a malformed eagle. “And I’ll tell ’em about you, so they don’t try to hurt you, and maybe you can come sometime. But we can go in the hills and find you too.” He frowned and looked away, not sure what else needed to be addressed. “Pack’s not far away, I mean… Do you… Do you want to come now? You can hide and watch? I promise, Jeera, I promise she’ll have a good safe family.”

A family. His family. The golden-furred boy would share all he could with this little golden-eyed girl to ensure her wellbeing.

<style>
OOC - 500 words exactly :O That takes skill! Muahaahaha...now how exactly do I get her in the pack...>.>''

Kace gave Jeera a stern face lick and giggled, to which Jeera returned the gesture with a half grimace, half eye roll. The pup blinked for a moment then tilted her head. But Skoll, if you are a prince, is it even proper for you to be my friend? Her tail could not hide her excitement, however, just as her small body seemed to twitch in anticipation.

The lynx nodded. That is what I meant for with her family. She is essentially no one. She is Luperci, and one day will be able to shift like you, but she is by no means a princess. The cat's face grinned widely and Kace stuck her pink tongue out, suppressing another laugh. I am not too concerned for seeing her, believe me I'll be able to check on her. These hills are her home. She loves the coast. To see her frolic in the waves is a sight, granted she doesn't go out too far. She loves fishing, maybe she could show you. We will see each other again. I want her to be taken care of, in the ways a wolf can. Not a cat. At this Jeera sighed again, but it was not a tired sigh. It was similar to a sigh of content; her chest rose then fell, and her eyes closed slowly. Perhaps she had finally found the young one a home. Albeit unintentionally and accidental...it still counted. Her parents would hopefully be happy.

A white blur tackled Skoll's tail from behind, her mind far from the conversation at hand. Hey, Skoll! Do you have horses!? Father sometimes talked about them, are they nice? Are they really so big? And can you read? Could you teach me, or are there wolves that can? You know I've never seen a wolf in its... Kace had trouble remembering this word; the pronunciation came slowly. Optime form...And Skoll! You can show me what a deer looks like!! The white blur of fur settled in front of him, between wolf and cat. Jeera! His pack could be fun! And of course I'd show you how to fish! But you show me the deer first, promise? Kace's front paws shifted excitedly underneath her while Jeera's head shook slowly, bewildered.

I will never understand the energy of a young one. I was nice and quiet, she muttered, glancing again at Skoll. Young Skoll...you certainly have my respect...if you take her, I wish you luck with the hyper little thing. I know it will be good for her. The cat's eyes met Kace's and the pup tackled her in a fit of affection. Jeera yet out an instictive hiss but then just laughed.

I'll miss you Jeera, but I promise Skoll and I will come see you. I'll bring you deer meat! Kace bounced up and wrapped her teeth gently around Skoll's front left leg, somehow managing to speak with the object in her mouth. Et's go now!
[html]

Word Count :: 435 PMed you. Smile And last post for this, I think; you can ask in the Maintenance Thread for this to be archived once you've read!

Skoll smiled at the puppy’s question. He knew that different packs had different names for their ranks, and while a child of an alpha in one pack might be in a lofty position, even one to inherit the throne, the Court was not like that. Or, well, he didn’t think so; he wasn’t treated any differently than any other child would be, although the pack members were careful to take care of him. A good king thought himself no better than his subjects—that was what he had been taught and what he held as a great ideal.

“Just ’cause I’m a prince don’t mean anything,” the boy said, “and sometimes they call the puppies rank prince and princess!” He saw a difference between that title and his, for he would always be a prince in the family sense even when he grew into an adult rank. “So you’ll be a princess anyway, even if you’re not a king-daughter,” he teased, hoping to poke her with his silver-scarred black nose.

Jeera spoke to him again, and he looked out across at the hills, sniffing for the scent of salt from the coast. “Won’t be far away,” he said, smiling. He was beginning to grow excited about the prospect of recruiting his very first member for the pack, though it was for Kace’s safety more than anything else. He nodded at the lynx to promise that they’d see each other again, as despite the cat’s intentions, he didn’t really want to separate puppy and guardian. Really, he could forget Jeera was a feline anyway.

His tail flopped on the ground, pinned underneath a small white body, and he twisted around to look at her. He beamed at her stream of questions, responding with a stream of answers. “We got horses! Alder’s the Marshal, he takes care of ’em, and I’m gonna learn to ride them soon and you can come visit them with me too! And they’re really big, but they’re nice like Alder, and I got books and we can get Robin to teach us how to read better, but I can read a little bit.” He grinned and batted at her. “Fish for deer is a good trade.” He couldn’t wait!

He wrinkled his nose when Jeera spoke again, but his bright expression faded into something somber but no less warm. He nodded solemnly and watched the pair’s last embrace of sorts before Kace bounded along and tugged on his leg in an effort for him to move.

“Okay, okay,” Skoll Haskel giggled as he began to walk. “Follow me! To Cour des Miracles!”

<style>