Obscure Pillow Talk
[html]

Cerberus had been avoiding Ciara ever since he'd returned to New Dawn. Not only was the state of his face a huge contributing factor to this avoidance, but so was the issue that Ceri didn't want to deal with the fact that perhaps she had found a mate while he was gone. Surely she had to have gone into heat by now, and even if she hadn't, she was pretty enough and sweet enough that she could have any male she wanted. On one hand, yeah, Cerberus didn't entirely care and he'd move on just like he had with every other girl he'd flirted with. But on the other, there was something special about the she-wolf that kept him inexplicably tethered to her, and he didn't truly want to let her go.

So he'd waited until the moon hung high in the sky, signifying it was late enough that the darkness would hide his mangled face and give him a better chance of keeping Ciara around. He certainly wouldn't coerce her into any sort of emotional commitment – it just wasn't who he was. And he wouldn't stand in her way if she did, in fact, have a mate. But he knew he at least had to see her. She probably already knew that he was back, due to the way news traveled within a pack; she may have even seen him lying in the shade a time or two. But he couldn't recall having seen her in passing since his return, so he had to hope that she hadn't seen him either. Padding along the night-chilled grass, Cerberus made his way to the tiny hovel that he knew belonged to Ciara. Each step was quiet, calculated, and careful to an almost painful degree. Fortunately for him, however, he was feeling no physical pain at the moment, due to the fact that he'd made sure to stock up on herbs just in case his midnight visit turned into a wrestling session like their last encounter had.

Keeping his ears pinned back against his skull and his tail tucked as was expected of an Omega, he inched toward the mouth of her den and paused, taking a moment to peer up at the night sky before looking toward her quarters again. The stars seemed abnormally bright tonight, and for a moment Cerberus wondered if Geoff was up there at that second, rooting him on. A faint smile touched the hybrid's lips, and he inched a little closer to Ciara's den. Her scent danced around his nostrils and made his heart catch in his throat, and he debated turning around and running as a result of his loss for words. But after taking a moment to collect himself, he quietly called out to her: Ciara? Ciara are you there? It's me, Cerberus.

Set late at night.

<style type="text/css">
.ceroll b {font-weight:bold; color:#af7945; font-size:16px; letter-spacing:0px; text-shadow:#fff 1px 1px 2px;}
.ceroll p:first-line {font-weight:bold; font-size:16px; letter-spacing:0px; }
.ceroll p:first-letter {font-weight:bold; font-size:18px; letter-spacing:0px;}
.ceroll .ooc {text-align:right; padding:5px 10px; font-family:verdana; font-size:11px;}
.ceroll p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.ceroll {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#dfcdbb; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/A8Dtz.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #fff; border-radius:20px; padding: 330px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: garamond, sans-serif; font-size:15px; color:#676058; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Word Count :: 575

OOC: Beautiful post, and I love your table too!

News did indeed travel fast within New Dawn – especially such juicy gossip. Cerberus had returned bloody, lacking the sable wolfess named Blind and had delivered terrible news. Ciara hadn’t seen Augustus since the news reached the pack, and she hoped that he was alright. The Epsilon knew that her partner in ranking had been close with the exotic female, had watched enviously a time or two as they slept near each other in the den. Still, she wasn’t happy that Blind was gone. Ciara could never be happy for the pain of others, and she grieved for the loss of the sister she’d barely met.

The fact that Cerberus was back was both happy and complicated. She was so relieved that he was alive and that he hadn’t left the pack purposefully. In his absence, Ciara had gone from disbelief to anger to denial to sadness and finally to acceptance. She’d figured that he found something more interesting than her in Blind. After all, Augustus had certainly shown interest. The Epsilon had chalked it up to the two pack members running off to elope somewhere, and had never expected to see the playful coywolf she’d spent such a wonderful afternoon with.

While Cerberus was searching out her den, Ciara was sleeping soundly, curled into a ball with her nose tucked into her tail. She’d learned the trick to staying warm from Augustus, for the dusty male always slept that way. He was, as mentioned before, absent right now, otherwise Ciara was certain he’d be in there sleeping with her. Since the cougar incident, the stoic male hadn’t left her side. The calico female was dreaming when the Omega’s voice rang through her small little cavern. She started to twitch a little, until her earth-coloured eyes finally opened and reflected in the dim light of the moon. Cerberus’ voice was unfamiliar to her now, and all she could tell was that it was a male.

Curious, Ciara stood and shook her pelt out before crawling to the mouth of the den and emerging into the night. The high sphere of the silver moon caused her guard hairs to glint, picking up the silver against the tawny and black splotches until it looked as though the Epsilon were glittering. While she was luminescent, Cerberus was shadowed. She couldn’t see much of him, other than his general shape, hunched down in the pose of an Omega before her. She knew of his promotion, but she didn’t know if he was aware of hers. The Epsilon stood tall, tail raising high over her back and ears pushed forward attentively. It wasn’t a showy display, and Ciara certainly wasn’t attempting to push her rank on him – it was just instinct among wolves.

“Ceri…” she whispered, shocked that he had come to see her. Part of her wanted to curl her lip at him and stalk right back into her den as punishment for abandoning her without a word. But then, they hadn’t been in a relationship, certainly weren’t mates, so what right did she have to be angry? “I…it’s…” she fumbled, not knowing what to say. “I’m glad that you’re alive…when you disappeared I thought, well we all thought…” She certainly wasn’t speaking like an Epsilon. She was speaking like some idiot pup. Plopping her calico rump down onto the ground, she relaxed her posture, while her tone became the more prominent and stable feature.

“Welcome back to New Dawn.”

<style type="text/css">
.Ciaraforestdawn b {font-weight:bold; color:#9370D8; letter-spacing:1px; }
.Ciaraforestdawn .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.Ciaraforestdawn p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.Ciaraforestdawn {margin:0px auto; width:450px; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/FyI7K.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 440px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#00BFFF; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

There wasn’t really any reason for Cerberus to be as nervous as he was. He knew that Ciara wasn’t and probably never would be his mate, and even now, as she emerged from the den and strode toward him, he could smell another male on her. His ears tightened further against his head, and it was all he could do to keep himself from turning tail and running. What was he thinking? Why was he wasting his time? This certainly wasn’t like him. Suddenly his mismatched eyes flickered over her ethereal body as she emerged from the darkness, and he winced a time or two when he spotted injuries that hadn’t been there the last time that they met. But he couldn’t afford to be distracted by that – he’d inquire of what caused them later. Now, he simply stared at her, breathless and at a loss for words as she stood so high and mighty before him. No, he didn’t know that she’d been promoted to a higher rank in the pack, but he could certainly guess.

As Ciara struggled for words of greeting, a coy smile touched the lips of the hybrid. She would always be so sweet and innocent in his eyes; the notion of that being marred by the claim of another was not even a possibility to Cerberus. Nearly forgetting his place, he straightened up with a wagging tail and chanced a careful step toward her, and the less affected side of his face became highlighted by the moon just before the other. The pale ivory light made his wounds look less inflamed, and he was grateful for that. In fact, he couldn’t recall a time that he’d been so glad for darkness.

The smile remained on Ceri’s lips as he broke into a trot to reach her, and his tongue left his lips to swipe over one of the she-wolf’s ears. He could hardly contain his joy at her presence, and he looked just as much like a puppy as she had sounded. At her welcoming words, he bowed his head briefly and then took a step back, allowing her to look as long as she pleased. He knew he looked hideous, but he supposed he couldn’t hide from her all night. Eventually a full ear as well as a tattered one swiveled toward her, and he chuckled. This isn’t exactly how I imagined our second meeting to come about, he said, but I suppose it’s better than nothing.

Thank you ^^

<style type="text/css">
.ceroll b {font-weight:bold; color:#af7945; font-size:16px; letter-spacing:0px; text-shadow:#fff 1px 1px 2px;}
.ceroll .ooc {text-align:right; padding:5px 10px; font-family:verdana; font-size:11px;}
.ceroll {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#dfcdbb; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/A8Dtz.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #fff; border-radius:20px; padding: 330px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: garamond, sans-serif; font-size:15px; color:#676058; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

+600

Sorry for the wait!.

Ciara was not used to having to posture over friends. Her promotion, only a few weeks earlier, was still something that the golden female was getting used to. She was fine standing before newcomers and had the appropriate, subtle submission to her superiors under control, but it was being dominant that she had to get used to. When the subordinates would flatten their ears and tuck their tails when she came by, Ciara often had to stop herself from asking just what the hell they were doing. Being a subordinate was still fresh in her mind, those wolves had been her equals in rank just weeks ago, but she knew that the proper hierarchy must be held.

At least she was doing alright with Cerberus. She managed to keep her tail and ears high as he came towards her, but relaxed when his tongue swiped over her ear. She knew that he was Omega, and she could punish him for taking that liberty, but she wouldn’t do that. Cerberus was her friend, might have been something more if he hadn’t vanished. She cared for him, and didn’t like that he had been put in the rank of Omega. She didn’t question the Alphess’ judgement though, and reminded herself that the lowest rank was not always the worst. Cerberus would do very well at decreasing tensions in the pack, and there were few in New Dawn who hated Omegas enough to punish them. Shandom came to mind, and she wondered for a moment where the Gamma had been, before turning her attention back to the boycoy in front of her.

Tilting her head, she returned his lick to her ear with an affectionate nudge of her nose to his cheek. Relaxing, she reclined until she was sitting on the ground and allowed a smile to break on her muzzle. ”I didn’t expect to see you again,” she began, her voice soft and light-hearted. ”Any second meeting is better than that thought.” Her earthen eyes glittered in the moonlight as she looked over him, able to tell that he was hiding a part of his face from her. She did not press the issue. She knew that he had a rough time with the bear and had barely escaped with his life. The Epsilon hoped that her friend did not blame himself for Blind’s death, and while he might be uncomfortable talking about it, she had to know so she could attempt to dissuade those feelings.

”I’m sorry for the loss of Blind,” she began, eyebrows creasing at the thought of the exotic, dark woman. ”I never got the chance to know her myself, but Augustus was close to her.” She thought of her mate for a moment, the frown instantly turning into a soft smile, before she looked up to Cerberus again. ”You mustn’t blame yourself for what happened. I don’t know if you do, or not, but if you do then you have to stop. I know you, Ceri, and I know you would have done everything in your power to save her.” Her tone was firm, almost daring him to go against her words and blame himself. She’d have to beat some friendly sense into him if he did.

Not wanting to leave the negative memories of the incident in the air, Ciara turned to another subject before Cerberus could even answer. ”How are you fitting in so far? Have you reconnected with everyone? How’s the role of Omega treating you?” Those questions came to him in a rapid-fire session, and she barely allowed herself a moment to breathe in between. “A lot has happened since you left.”

<style type="text/css">
.eciara b {font-weight:bold; color:#4f5253; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:1px 1px 2px #909097;}
.eciara .ooc {font-style:italic; text-align:center;}
.eciara p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px 0px;}
.eciara {margin:0px auto; width:480px; background-color:#d2d2dc; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/fqYoC.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #909097; padding:405px 0px 10px 0px; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; color:#909097; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify; border-radius:15px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Ciara appeared almost as a queen before the mangled hybrid – he wasn't used to seeing her portray such dominance. It was...sexy, in a way. But Cerberus wasn't a wolf who enjoyed being controlled, so it was slightly off-putting as well. When Ciara fell back onto her haunches, Ceri breathed an inaudible sigh of relief and mimicked her movements, sitting as well. It was nice to feel as if he were on equal grounds with some of his pack mates despite his rank, and it was especially nice to see that Ciara still saw him as a good enough friend not to force him into submission.

As the wolfess mentioned how she was relieved to know that he hadn't lost his life as a result of the bear attack, Cerberus nearly huffed in agreement. Indeed, he'd been very lucky. He only wished his comrade had been just as fortunate. However, while the mention of the dark she-wolf’s name stung the hybrid to the very core, it was overshadowed by the look in Ciara's eyes when she mentioned another name: Augustus. Cerberus knew right away that this must have been the wolf whose scent he picked up on the fae as she emerged from her den. Though he wasn't aware they were mates, that look alone told him more than her words ever could. She was in love with this man, and that made Ceri's heart thrum with notes of rejection and disappointment. As a result, it took the boycoy quite a while to find his voice again, creating an odd sort of silence when it came time to answer the she-wolf's questions.

He'd nearly missed the bit about how she insisted Ceri not blame himself for Blind's untimely death, and while he didn't blame himself as much as he had days prior to their meeting, the taste of failure was still ripe in his mouth. This had made it rather difficult for him to fit in, as she inquired of, but not quite impossible. Images of an an afternoon spent with a playful alphess flashed through his mind, and suddenly he felt considerably more at peace. Then, clearing his throat, he finally answered, Things are fine, on all accounts. I'm learning the ways of the pack and adapting rather smoothly, I think. How about you? I assume you've found favorable company among the wolves of New Dawn? Ceri lifted his gaze to meet hers then, and he flashed his typical coy grin. This time, however, it did not quite reach his eyes.

No worries! Smile

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Assuming that they get approved as mates here. This post was hard to write. She feels so bad. Sad

During the time when that silence stretched on, Ciara’s tawny ears twitched and then folded back against her head. She knew that Ceri was hurt, it was obvious, and she knew why. In the time he’d been gone she’d found a mate in Augustus, even after the wonderful night she and Cerberus had at the river and the beach, and even after the exciting prospects when he’d joined New Dawn the first time. They hadn’t exchanged any words of love, hadn’t talked about mating or anything even close. Truth be told, they only had that one wonderful afternoon and evening together. Still, the golden girl knew that Ceri had grown fond of her, and she’d had a similar crush on him before he’d disappeared.

What was she supposed to do? She hadn’t meant to lead him on. The afternoon they’d spent together had been absolutely perfect, with playful actions and sweet words. She’d asked him to join New Dawn with her not only because she liked him, but because she knew he’d be a good member of the pack. After he joined, they hadn’t had any time together before he disappeared. Her shoulders slumped, and she directed her earthen eyes to the ground, tears beginning to swim in them. The Epsilon hated hurting others, especially in this way. She hadn’t put Cerberus in the friend zone on purpose, it had just happened.

“I have, yeah,” she murmured, unable to meet his eyes and see the hurt there, that half-smile. “Soran is like a mother to me, Noah and Insomnia are great friends.” She continued, unsure why she held off on telling him that Augustus was hers. She certainly wasn’t ashamed of her mate. The girl was absolutely in love with him. He was so very different from her boycoy. He was serious, dutiful. But he wasn’t playful or blatantly affectionate like Ceri was. She found that she liked the different things about each of them, and couldn’t find anything in them that she disliked. It was just when it came to Augustus, something different happened. Her heart sang, as though she was meant to be with him. Finally, her golden eyes lifted and she looked into the eyes of her friend.

“And Augustus is my mate,” she said, slowly. Her eyes watched him, waiting for him to get angry at her or turn away from her. Her whole body tensed as she waited for his reaction, and she instantly felt foolish. Once again, she repeated to herself that they hadn’t been in a relationship, hadn’t even been courting when he vanished. She and Augustus had spent a lot more time together, they’d hunted and killed together, growing closer each time until finally the unspoken words between them became too much to hold back any longer. Once again, Ciara decided that she couldn’t leave her end of the conversation on any note that might hurt the boycoy.

“I got promoted to Epsilon, too,” she said, trying to make her voice sound proud. “There was a cougar around the pack lands, which attacked Terra. I was one of the two wolves sent to kill it. It was a wicked fight, but we managed to kill it and when I came back, Zalen promoted me.” She turned her head then, motioning towards the shorter patch of fur on her side. “I had some pretty bad injuries, but Deuce and Soran took care of it. I didn’t think that I was going to make it, for awhile…I imagine you felt that way too.”

<style type="text/css">
.eciara b {font-weight:bold; color:#4f5253; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:1px 1px 2px #909097;}
.eciara {margin:0px auto; width:480px; background-color:#d2d2dc; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/fqYoC.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #909097; padding:405px 0px 10px 0px; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; color:#909097; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify; border-radius:15px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Because Ceri is being a whiner now, this will be his last post and then you can post your exit if you like and I’ll archive it! Nice threading with you again!

It didn’t surprise Cerberus when Ciara announced she had found a mate in Augustus. In fact, ever since she first mentioned his name, he had just been waiting for her to confirm his suspicions. So when she did just that, the only thing that happened was…well, nothing. His face remained as blank as it had become in the time that she preluded her news with other news of her friendships. Cerberus felt his heart quiver with bitterness then – he wanted to tell her exactly what he was thinking: “I joined this pack for you! What’s the point now?!” But he kept his mouth shut. He knew that there was much more to this life than finding a mate, and just because this she-wolf had beaten him at his own game, didn’t mean that he couldn’t still find a purpose for being a part of New Dawn. While he may have been attached to this girl, she was not his sole tether. He had a home here; one that accepted him. He wasn’t about to throw that all away because of a silly yearling.

Indeed, Cerberus was impressed at her promotion to Epsilon. To his knowledge, that was a pretty decent rank, one that definitely deserved respect. But he felt as if he had nothing else to say to her now, and he feared that even if he congratulated her, words coated with bitterness would escape his lips. So he simply bowed his head, rising to his feet after doing so, and painted his face with the most supportive look he could muster. Good for you, he finally squeaked, on all accounts.

Cerberus then turned his face away, trying to locate through the darkness the place where he was to sleep that night: beneath a nice pine tree. Flattening his ears and tucking his tail, he bowed once more to the she-wolf before looking into her earthen eyes. Well, he said, it’s late. I’m glad to hear you’re doing well, but I’d better let you get back to sleep. Perhaps you’ll come bug the ol’ Omega from time to time, eh? He flashed his coy and flirtatious smile, and it was then that he realized he would be okay. It was his nature to be alone, flirting with every creature he deemed worthy of his charm. He was Cerberus, the tough, suave coywolf who rose above the pains of his former life! He never fancied being tied down, and, in a way, finding out that Ciara had a mate was a relief – now he didn’t have to worry about gently breaking things off when they got too serious. With a proud swish of his tail, the smile finally crept into his bi-colored eyes, and he tossed the she-wolf a wink before trotting off into the darkness.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Word Count: Pathetic

OOC: Exit posts are not my strong-point. D: Thanks for the thread!

She was nervous and miserable the entire time she waited for him to reply again. The girl really didn’t like hurting him. In another life, things could have been different. He would have returned to New Dawn the golden hero, and Ciara would have fawned all over him. Still, something always told her that Cerberus might not be the best candidate for a mate. He was fun, and silly, and affectionate – but was he serious enough to be a mate? Augustus was certainly serious. He’d sworn to protect her always and the golden female certainly believed it. Cerberus seemed to be more the type for not-so-innocent flings, and Ciara was in a different place than that. She wanted a life with someone, with Augustus, and she wanted pups eventually. The little yearling had grown up fast.

“I’ll certainly come and torment you, Ceri,” she said, her voice light and joking. “No point in having an Omega if you can’t have some fun with them.” A little wolfish wink was given in response to the male’s own, and she allowed herself a sad smile as he moved away from her. One day, perhaps, he’d forgive her for moving on while he was gone. Maybe they could recapture the easy friendship they’d gained so easily that afternoon by the river. Ciara hoped so, and as she went back into her den to curl up and wait for her mate, her thoughts were on things she could do to make Cerberus more comfortable around her. Maybe taking him on a hunt sometime, where they could really talk and move past things. Maybe even another day of swimming. Somehow, Ciara would fix things. She wanted to have her friend back.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]