but behold oppression
[html]

See Pack News for further information.

The news was promising. Henrik, seated before his tent, listened with interest to the words of the pale brothers. They informed him of little coyote presence in the south; a dog pack was the only oddity, but hardly worth their time. One pack in particular struck him as odd; a place surrounded by a fence. Jonas had explained they were heathens; they lived like savages, and seemed to worship a fire and strange animals. It did not matter; in time all would come to know the one true God.

Louis had less promising news. Of the northern presence, two of these wolf packs were heretics; one lived in the mountains and the other south of them, along this ridge but also under it. To live in caves was savage. Furthermore, it sickened him to hear that a coyote—and a woman at that—held high rank within this Anathema. He expressed his distaste plainly. The only saving grace for the northern wolves was the word of those who lived far north and held to the old ways.

“The coyotes have a land of about fifty miles,” Louis explained. “They line their borders as Scintilla does.” This news Henrik met with a low growl. “I suspected as much,” the older wolf told his subordinate. He waved a hand, allowing the black and white beast to continue.

“I suspect their numbers are close to ours. A male and female lead them; they have horses and birds. However,” the green eyed wolf paused, and smiled thinly. “Most of them live close to the borders.”

This struck the older man as odd. Why claim such a large land and chose residence along the borders? It was poor planning. Luckily for him, it made for an easy target. The dark wolf rose, and barked a summons. A gray wolf came first, followed by a massive paler male. They were both impressive, but hardly his finest soldiers. Henrik did not need to send valuable men; if his suspicions were correct, they would be able to gauge just what they were facing from these two.

“Sindri, Ludus,” he looked to each in turn, red eyes gleaming. “Take your horses and ride north. Test the coyotes; see just how close their quarters are to the borders. You are merely to engage them; I want to know what we will be facing.” Both nodded shortly, uttered a word of agreement, and made for their horses. Henrik looked to Louis again. “Was that all?” He asked shortly, unsure as to why the man remained by his side.

“There is another,” the paler man admitted. “I nearly missed them. They live across the river; they have a smaller claim of land. A coyote leads them. I also…” he paused, unsure of how to continue. Henrik stiffened. “And?”

“I cannot be sure, but it seems as if they keep prisoners. Wolves who serve them.”

At this, the dark man bared his teeth. How dare a lesser species claim right over their own? He glowered at his scout, and snarled a single command. “Go.”

It was an order; Louis dipped his head and retreated back towards the horses. As a scout, it was his duty to find what he could. He wasted little time readying himself, and was soon traveling back towards this unknown pack.

<style>
#henrik {
font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;
font-size:14px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#henrik p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#henrik p.henrik-img {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
font-style:italic;
float:right; margin:5px;
}
#henrik .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif;
text-transform:none;
font-style:italic;
font-weight:normal; }
#henrik .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#henrik b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#henrik u { text-decoration: none; border-bottom:1px dotted #000000; }
#henrik b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]