[J] you can't lose something you never had
[html]
|| THROUGH THE TRIALS ||

Maybe this is what the Elders meant by being tested. To live among others who were not Brothers like him, and try his damnedest to adhere to his scriptures and teachings. To live among barbarians and thieves. However, Athanasios didn't know exactly who they were. He only knew what Artemisia had told him, which, frankly, wasn't much. But that was the adventure of it all, to plunge into the unknown. Most of his Brothers wouldn't have dared, but Thanos wasn't exactly one to take the easy way out of things. He did like challenging himself, and this was his way of doing it.

For gifts, as Sia had recommended to bring, Thanos had found a lone sheep for the pack, food for later. Sheep were not often found outside of a herd, especially alone as most predators would have found them before him. The monk's calm nature allowed him to collect the sheep calmly, herding it to a place where he could tie a makeshift leash around it and pull it along with him. The other half of gift he brought were books, for "donation" to the pack's library (or the pack in general if there was no library). He got the book with the assumption that Sia would be interesting in reading them, knowing her thirst for knowledge. Of course, he would have felt selfish and biased if he just gave them to her, so he decided to let the rest of the pack read them as well. These books he had both brought with him and found in Amherst.

He had approached the borders with caution, knowing that this pack, along with any other pack he had come across, would probably not take lightly to trespassers. He simply waited right outside the border, his scent carried upon the wind for any who cared to investigate. The monk sat on the ground to meditate until someone arrived, the sheep laying comfortably by his side and his walking staff placed beside him, pointing directly ahead of him. His garb was not draped over his shoulders, but tucked into the waist belt that was tied to keep the pants in place. Someone would have to notice him eventually, gleaming mask and all in the daytime.

|| OUR TONGUES ARE TIED ||

<style>
.circle .title { font-size:11px; text-shadow: 0.0em 0.1em 0.2em #000; letter-spacing:12px; color:#000; text-align: center; }
.circle .title2 { font-size:11px; text-shadow: 0.0em 0.1em 0.2em #000; letter-spacing:11px; color:#000; text-align: center; }
.circle p {padding:3px 0px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px; }
.circle b {color:#000; letter-spacing:-.1px; }
.circle .wc {text-shadow: 0.0em 0.1em 0.2em #000; letter-spacing:-.1px; }
.circle {font-family: arial, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; padding:60px 0px 10px 0px; }
.circle-border {width:500px; margin:0 auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

(362)
I really wanted to post as Draugr, sorry. X3 Eris can show up shortly, will probably NPC her through Dra's perspective. Can actually maybe even PP the beginning of her approach (spotting her in the distance) in your post?

Draugr is by me!

Bambino she was, Dra enjoyed pacing the outlands of the pack, as some of the others did. The borders were in need of patrol, and though she was a child, she was not entirely unarmed. She had pilfered a sharp dagger from the storage shed, and carried it on her hip, tucked into the deepest pocket of her pale leather skirt. Pockets were useful and something the natural form lacked -- Dra had wondered at this, pondering why they had evolved the ability to grow hands and two legs and bodies entirely different from that of their birth form, yet they did not grow pockets with this new form. It must have taken a particularly ill-humored trickster god for this to have occurred at all.

Dra was engaged in inspecting the thin creek that ran along part of their new northernmost border when a strange scent entered her nose, one she did not recognize. It was Luperci, doubtless, but it was not Salsolian. Hesitating a moment, the Bambino decided to call for Salsola before she investigated further. Her throaty tones belied her age, deep as they were -- it was the hound in her, singing far more clearly in her voice than it did in her appearance. Call finished, Dra's curiosity drove her forward toward the stranger, enticed by the accompanying scent of sheep.

A flash of light caught her lavender-hued eyes, and the woman paused, peering toward it for a moment. A figure seemed to materialize behind this flash, one of a seated canine. The pale, fluffy form beside him was, doubtless, a sheep. The drab-furred youth splashed across the stream, taking her time so as to enjoy the coolness of the water against her feet. Then, she was over and through, and there was grass beneath her feet again. The silver-tinged wolfdog made her way toward the figure, her head cocked in confusion. His face was strange and shiny, and it was not until she drew nearer she saw it was a mask rather than his true face. This gave her enough pause to halt several long yards in front of him, purple eyes narrowed in suspicion.

<style>
@import url('http://sleepyglow.net/rp/post.css');
</style>[/html]
I swear this looked a lot longer typing this on my phone >___>
[html]
|| THROUGH THE TRIALS ||

It didn't take too long, Athanasios hearing the faint tones of a howl coming from within the territory. He would probably have more than one visitor in due time. He continued to remain in his meditative mode, even as the scent of a strange being, who had the same masked type of smell as Artemisia, started to approach. His eyes were closed within his mask and his hands were still placed in an "O" shape in his lap, the traditional pose to strike. He sat there for a few moments more before opening his eyes and turning his head to face the wolf directly, taking the staff to stand himself up. In the far distance, he saw a small black figure making it's way towards then, no doubt more company.

Thanos approached the closer wolf with the sheep tightly in tow, getting within spitting distance and greeting them in the way he usually did in respect. He held one hand up, palm flat, the other held as a fist with the knuckles pressed into the palm, and bowed towards the stranger and slowly standing straight again. "Good day, my friend," he greeted, a warm yet calming tone to his voice. "Wonderful weather we have." The other wolf may not have noticed, but there was a wide, benevolent smile under the monk's mask.

<style>
.circle .title { font-size:11px; text-shadow: 0.0em 0.1em 0.2em #000; letter-spacing:12px; color:#000; text-align: center; }
.circle .title2 { font-size:11px; text-shadow: 0.0em 0.1em 0.2em #000; letter-spacing:11px; color:#000; text-align: center; }
.circle {font-family: arial, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; padding:60px 0px 10px 0px; }
</style>[/html]
[html]

(421)
Not that it matters (no edits necessary to your post) but Dra wouldn't disguise her scent just now, as she wasn't planning on leaving Salsola. ^_^ Just a heads up. <3

Draugr is by me!

The drab-hued youth watched the strange man in his mask with curiosity and suspicion both written across her face. Dra desperately wished someone else of the pack would come along -- she did not know what the hell she was doing out here on the borders. She did not know which questions to ask, and she did not know what to expect from this masked stranger and his sheep. The fluffy thing seemed rather docile, but perhaps that was simply how sheep were -- the herds within Salsola were much the same, easy-going creatures until provoked.

Suddenly, he turned to face her. Dra only caught herself halfway through the jerk of surprise, and watched with more suspicion than curiosity as he stood, leaning heavily upon the wooden stick to do so. His approach, however, did not cause her to step back -- she held her ground, as some deeply buried instinct bade her. Her pack's land was just behind her, and she was bound to protect those within it. He stopped, however, just as Draugr prepared herself to command him to stop, and launched into a queer bow.

His words confused her even more, and she gaped at him for a moment with confusion apparent on her face. You don't wish us harm? she asked, her voice shakier than she might have liked. Your face, she breathed, still fighting the urge to step back and away from the masked stranger. I didn't know what to think, she admitted, somewhat ashamed of herself now. The still-damp toes on her left foot dug into the earth, claws burrowing into the ground as Draugr herself wished to do just now.

It's a mask, Draugr, called a voice from behind. Draugr turned quickly, ears raised. She had known it was a mask, but she had not known what was underneath -- she was preparing to respond in such fashion when her ears flattened as she realized it was The Auxiliary who had spoken. The drab brown youth's panic increased ten-fold, and she stepped back now, dipping her head low to the sable-hued woman now making her way toward the pair. She was quite close, and Dra could almost smell the sadness radiating from her.

Who is this? the dark woman inquired, her chartreuse eyes focused on Dra rather than the stranger. For her part, the Bambino could only frown and shake her head, purple eyes averted from her sub-leader. Ah, was all the dark woman said to Dra, turning her gaze pointedly toward the stranger. She lifted both brows as if in prompt to him.

<style>
</style>[/html]
THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A TMOUSE HERPDERPS <3 Now I feel compelled to edit my post regardless XD. Also, woah nelly this post sucks something fierce.
[html]
|| THROUGH THE TRIALS ||

At first the woman seemed wary of him, which he supposed was expected seeing as he was a stranger to her and she to him. The bow he gave her only led her to be more confused as she assessed his danger level, or so it seemed, before speaking back to him. "Of course not. I wish no harm to anyone or anything undeserving," he replied warmly, tilting his head. He stood taller than the girl had he been standing up straight, but the monk always made a habit of putting himself to eye level with those shorter than him when holding conversation. It was a type of humility, as well as politeness, he displayed when doing so. The wolf was taken aback by Thanos' mask, telling him she had no idea what to think. "Not many do," he laughed light-heartedly. "It's become some kind of shock factor to those not used to it. I usually forget few grew up along the path I did and wonder why some look so surprised or scared when they see me." A hearty laughter shook his chest.

Finally the black figure had arrived, another woman from within the territory. When she regarded Athanasios, he promptly did his respectful bow to her, always minding his manners. "It is. A μάσκα, as my Brothers and I call it." He had forgotten to give the brown woman his name before the green eyed wolf came, who Thanos could only assume was a leader of some sort because of the way the younger wolf acted. "My name is Athanasios Pace," he told them, patting his chest as a signifier. "I was regarded to these lands by a young wolf named Artemisia. I expect you know her." A broad smile grew upon his face that was anything but malicious. "I recently arrived at these lands and she was very kind to be so polite and informative. I may have... helped her unintentionally with a... trial she was assigned, as she explained it. She showed me gratitude by sharing her culture, as I did with mine." He gestured to the sheep, offering the end of the rope to the sable lady. "Here is a sheep I found wandering by itself. I also found books that could be of great interest to any of your..." He couldn't think of the word that group called each other. He used his own word instead. "...family." He offered the bag of books to her and did another bow, just one in their general direction, applying to the both of them. "I would hope you accept these gifts of mine, if it is no trouble to you."

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

(252)

Draugr is by me!

Dra's misery only increased as the dark woman seemed to pay her no further mind. It was much the same as when Siv had come to greet Eris at the borders, as Dra remembered. She had been too young to grow hands then. Had she acted improperly by calling the pack before greeting the man himself? The shadowy leader had not directly reprimanded her, but Draugr sensed -- or thought she sensed -- the woman's disappointment. The Bambino dared not interrupt the Auxiliary and the stranger to ask what she'd done wrong, nor did she feel she had gotten any sign of dismissal from their leader. And so, the purple-eyed youth remained, taking in the spectacle with wide, curious eyes.

Forgive me if I am uncordial, but I have just lost my mate, the dark hybrid said when the masked stranger had finished speaking. The Auxiliary's voice was flat and rather unapologetic, as one who intended to be callous even when aware of her callousness. Do you wish to simply shower us with gifts for my daughter's kindnesses, or have you come to join our ranks? We are under attack, Athanasios Pace, and we can suffer no weaknesses and no disloyalty. The dark woman was frank and to the point with the man, revealing more than Draugr would have dared. That they were under attack and that her mate was dead -- this was far more than Dra would have said, but who was she to question their leader?

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]
|| THROUGH THE TRIALS ||

If Athanasios had ears, they would have pinned right to his head after the female bluntly told him her situation. Losing a family member, let alone a mate, was something Thanos knew was hard on most. The woman seemed rather callous, but the monk wasn't too sure whether or not it was a front or that she really was cold. He wanted it to be the former, for his own sake and that of the woman's sanity, but maybe it wasn't his place to think that. "I thoroghly apologize," he told her, bowing his head in a solemn tone. "I was unaware of this set of events and I assure you I mean no harm." He looked over to the younger wolf, seeing the wide-eyed discomfort.

"I wish to be accepted," he told her. "I am well learned in healing practices and can defend territory as necessary. I wish to assist however possible." He stood up straight now, showing off his true height and bulk he was well known for back home. He gripped the staff tightly, keeping it firmly planted on the ground. He went on one knee, looking up to the woman now instead of down. "Will you accept me, Lady of Black?" He did not know her name, so he greeted her with a more anonymous name used for unnamed strangers, usually consiting of their gender and their fur color, or alternatively the name of the sect or group to which they belonged. Soon, he would address her either as her true name, or by a special title given to those who earned the praise from the Brotherhood: τηρούνται.

In the back of his mind, he felt quite terrible and sorrowful for the Lady and her family. Athanasios knew his family as the Brotherhood of monks he grew up with, not as his true biological family. He didn't know who he was or whether or not he was still alive — nor did he of them. This made him think about who he was before, but the memories escaped him. Perhaps he would meditate on this later, if the black wolf decided to accept him.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

(509) We can play a little of their convo, if you'd like, or we can just cap it here and OOCly assume Eris took him to the supper hall place, fed him, and explained to him about being an associate, promotions, etc. -- up to you

Draugr is by me!

The dark Bambino did not know what to think. Part of her wanted to run away, damn the consequences, but she knew this would only incur further troubles from Eris -- if indeed, she was in trouble for having broken some part of Salsola's culture or simply displeased her. The silvery youth's gaze swung over to the masked stranger; his apology warmed her heart and made her feel bad for him. She wished she had spoken to him more before relegating herself to silence, but there was nothing to be done for it now. When he looked toward her, she offered a small smile of encouragement, the slightest nod of her head indicating she thought he was doing well -- for all that was worth, anyway, which might not be very much in the end.

The dark woman was silent when he asked for acceptance, and even Dra found herself holding her breath a moment, unaware she'd done so until a tightness began building in her chest. She exhaled quietly and set lavender eyes on her Auxiliary, who seemed to be considering the man's words earnestly. Her eyes were on the books, on the sheep. Draugr could not read, but she knew what books were and how valuable they were -- the information contained within them could be extremely helpful, some long-forgotten lore of the humans that Luperci had yet to discover. There can never be too many healers, don't you think, Draugr?

When the sable woman turned her attentions back to the Bambino, the silvery girl froze and stared with wide eyes, groping in a suddenly empty mind for an answer. Oh, yes, yes miss Eris, the Bambino yipped. Those we have are very good, but Athanasios may know things they do not -- and vice versa, the youth said, growing more steady in tone as she continued. As a team, everyone will be better, and --

Precisely, the dark hybrid interjected, her gaze on Athanasios, and Draugr fell silent immediately as she began to speak. Your gifts and talents please me, but do take what I've said to heart. You may need to prove your ability to defend our home sooner rather than later. The Auxiliary turned her chartreuse eyes back to Draugr, and smiled a toothy smile. Would you take the sheep to our barn for me, my dearest Draugr? Our new Associate and I must attend our business, the dark woman asked.

Draugr stepped forward to take the sheep's lead from the newcomer, shyly extending one hand and waiting for the rope to be delivered. When she turned back to Eris, however, she hesitated, and peered on the woman with lavender eyes. If it doesn't displease you terribly, miss Eris, I would follow you, she said. The moment the words were out of her mouth, the drab-hued woman averted her eyes, ears folding against her head. The dark woman shrugged, a rather indifferent reaction than what the Bambino had feared, and consented with a simple nod of her head.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]
Welcome to Salsola

Welcome to Salsola! As a new member of the pack, you're ranked as an Associate. We strongly encourage you to read over the Associates page of our website for further information about your rank, promotions, and other relevant things.

As a new member, why not:

• Start plotting with your fellow members -- start or join an Open Thread on Salsola territory.
  • Figure out if your character wants the Cotona ritual to take place, and where on their body they'd like the scar.
  • Figure out which of the Jobs you'd like and let the leadership know which you're considering.
  • Check out our pack game and start earning points! You can claim a residence in the Borgatas Colotl or Coatl after 50 points in the pack game (note: residences outside these two areas are free).
  • Add yourself to our Directory, and please remember to add your character's animal companions to our Stables! See Salsola Maintenance for further information.
  • Familiarize yourself with the pack's leaders and make sure you contact one of us if you encounter any sort of difficulty or require any assistance. You can send us a Private Messages or post to the Salsola Maintenance thread.
<style>@import url('http://soulsrpg.com/salsola/style/maintenance.css');</style>[/html]
I'll just assume Eris filled Thanos in on everything. I added the last part as a canon thing, since it is important to his character. We can cap it here regardless. :3 [html]
|| THROUGH THE TRIALS ||

There was a hanging moment of suspense where Athanasios wasn't sure whether or not he would be welcomed into the fold, but when the woman finally spoke he let out a steady sigh of relief. "Thank you very much. I will be sure to prove you will not regret the decision." He flashed the sable woman the same benevolent smile he usually donned, the one that calmed himself as well as others. "You may call me Thanos, if you so wish," he told her, then looked to the other woman, identified as Eris now. The monk allowed the more submissive wolf to take the gifts from his possesion, giving her the soft smile as well. "Τηρούνται Eris," he nodded to her, waiting eagerly for her to lead the way.

It wasn't Greece by any means, but Thanos would come to adjust nicely. He was given a general overview of ranks and rules, along with some food to welcome him in. However, when Thanos found his place of sleep, which was up in a tree like the one in the field, he finally sat down to do his nighttime meditation ritual. What was different this time though, was the ritual of taking off his necklace, the Mala he used to pray with, holding it in his hand and praying for the loved ones of the deceased that were mentioned earlier. It was for respect and sorrow he did this. He finally came to realize that the man who died was Artemisia's father — making Eris her mother. It seemed sad, but foriegn to Thanos, as he had never encountered a biologically related family. The only ones he knew were the Brotherly kind he had embraced. It was a source of intrigue and fear, but for unknown reasons. He would meditate on that tomorrow.

<style>
</style>[/html]