living with our eyes half open
[html]
through the madness we find
loyalty is no match for power

Word Count → 334 :: All welcome, and feel free to be mean to him and eventually drive him off. He's a slimy two-legged bastard with a cat, after all! Wink

Despite dwelling in the northern region of Nova Scotia for quite some time, Levent had not become acquainted with the packs as he’d wanted to. All he had to go off of were the warnings of a fellow merchant and a little bit of gossip here and there with questionable credibility. For the past few days, he had finally arranged to visit each of the packs and gather what he could about them—especially whether or not they could further his purpose.

His mortality ate away at him when the food was scarce, or the rivers were swollen with snowmelt and rain, or the cry of a fellow wolf echoed hauntingly against the pale moon. The book gave him no consolations, only noted the reasons that he should be afraid. It had gotten harder to fall asleep, and one morning it had taken Wilson gashing open his nose to wake him.

Levent did not know why it had all gotten harder, but it lent desperation to his movements as he trekked north again, winding around the isthmus to the reeking borders of a wolf pack. Ilk, he announced wearily when he paused, rubbing his scarred shoulder. I don’t even think Amy gave me this pack’s name. She had neglected to give him the names of the soft southern packs, he knew, but this one was a mystery to him.

Maybe this isn’t a good idea, Wilson said, his voice quiet as he pressed close to his optime-formed friend. They smell… Words failed him, but his tremulous meow of low speech carried the meaning across. It invoked a lot of images that the man didn’t want to think about, and his hackles quivered underneath his shirt. He’d left his satchel in a tree elsewhere, but as always, his throwing knives were on him in their shoulder-pouch.

You don’t have to stay with me, the Turkish wolf said gently, glancing down at the tomcat, but Wilson didn’t budge.
Resigned, Levent tilted his head up and howled.

table by raze; image from wikipedia commons

<style>
.blarhwav-box {float:right; padding:5px;}
.blarhwav .words {font-size:43px; font-family: 'Amatic SC'; text-align:center; line-height:32px; padding:10px 0px 20px; }
.blarhwav {font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; text-align: left; margin:0 25px;}
.blarhwav p.ooc {font-family:tahoma, sans-serif; font-size:10px; padding:0px 5px;}
.blarhwav p.ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.blarhwav .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.blarhwav p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:5px 5px;}
.blarhwav b {letter-spacing:1px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:.05em;}
.blarhwav b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
.blarhwav b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
.blarhwav b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
</style>

[/html]
[html]
It's a Raze! / +290

Zalen had slept under the stars that night, in one of the clearings in Glen Eyrie. He hadn’t done that in the while, for he so enjoyed sleeping with his pack mates in the warmth and comfort of the den. But that night, after the story teller Ignatius had woven his tails and songs amongst the smoke of the fire, Zalen had felt whimsical, and sought out the company of the night sky and of his own imagination. He had had beautiful dreams that night, the ones that he so enjoyed, of he and his loved ones running through the stars together. But dawn had finally awoken him, and also, the call of a wolf.

Zalen raised his sleepy head from where it had been lying on his paws. He still occupied his Optime form, and when he stood to all fours, he gave a stretch of his long, muscular limbs for lumbering off towards the sound. After a few minutes, his body finally awakened full, and his leisurely gate turned into a sprint until he made it to the borders. There, silhouetted on the brightening sky, a male Luperci and a cat. What strange visitors they had been getting recently.

Zalen stood onto two legs, something he did not do very often, but he did it this time to achieve the height he needed to show his place in the hierarchy of the pack. Zalen pressed his ears forward and held his tail aloft, Greetings, I am Zalen Damaichu, Alpha of New Dawn. You stand upon the threshold of my territory, and I have answered your call. What can I do for you? This speech was rehearsed many times before, and it flowed naturally from the leaders black lips.

<style type="text/css">
.zalen-widow b {font-weight:bold; color:#7b6653; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #3e250f; }
.zalen-widow p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;}
.zalen-widow {margin:0 auto; width:440px; background-color:#110f0f; background-image:url(http://i51.tinypic.com/66epvr.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 240px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#4f3f31; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
.zalen-widow p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.zalen-widow p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]
through the madness we find
loyalty is no match for power

Word Count → 302 :: Yarharhar.

It was not very long before a dark wolf prowled up to them, deliciously feral in his musky scent and lean, muscled appearance. He was decorated with a pair of earrings and the feathers in his braided mane, and one of his apple-green eyes stared from a splash of red. And although Levent thought little of hierarchy deep down, he found himself submitting to the male out of instinct as much as appearances; his ears laid back against the mess of his dark hair as he offered a deep bow to sate the other’s dominance. Perhaps he stooped a little too low, though, the flamboyance obvious in his humanized actions that marked him as one who was a master at this game. As he rose again, he smiled.

New Dawn, Levent echoed, and glanced at the cat only to see that Wilson was hunkered behind him, stiff-hackled and scented with fear. With his blue eyes watching the alpha carefully, he crouched down on his haunches and whispered a meow to the feline, who crept backwards while still bristling. Clearing his throat, he stood and swished his tail apologetically before answering the other’s question.

I am Levent Kartal. I am a merchant and traveler come from overseas, and I only want to know more about the packs in the region.

Honesty was the best method to use in interactions like this, although he kept enough of the truth to himself—such as exactly what he wanted to learn. Then again, even he didn’t really know what he wanted to gain from New Dawn or any of the other packs. It would take a spark, and that spark had been sorely lacking as of late other than when Amy kindled it in him, doused in burning alcohol. He preferred a less risky approach, though, and one that did not include drunken knife-throwing contests.

table by raze; image from wikipedia commons

<style>
.blarhwav-box {float:right; padding:5px;}
.blarhwav .words {font-size:43px; font-family: 'Amatic SC'; text-align:center; line-height:32px; padding:10px 0px 20px; }
.blarhwav {font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; text-align: left; margin:0 25px;}
.blarhwav p.ooc {font-family:tahoma, sans-serif; font-size:10px; padding:0px 5px;}
.blarhwav p.ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.blarhwav .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.blarhwav p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:5px 5px;}
.blarhwav b {letter-spacing:1px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:.05em;}
.blarhwav b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
.blarhwav b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
.blarhwav b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
</style>

[/html]