a certain kind of silence
[html]
uhhh. early dusk. :B

Denver's only goal lately was to keep Magnolia safe. Ever since learning that his mohawked lover was with child, he stuck beside her as much as possible. But Denver couldn't always sleep when Maggie did, and on this night he sat awake, staring at the ceiling.

I'm going to be a father, he thought, for the hundredth time. He still couldn't believe it. The mutt sighed and rolled over, closing his eyes again to hope for sleep. Minutes passed in darkness, but Denver's mind never slowed. It was still relatively early, and his frazzled nerves wanted nothing to do with the confined stillness of the bed. Finally, he roused himself slowly, careful not to wake his pale paramour. It wasn't too cold outside, but Denver grabbed his jacket anyway as he slipped out the front door, wishing for a cigarette.

The moon was bright in the sky, the night clear and eerily quiet for the hour. He could see his breath in the air as he glanced down the crumbling alleys and hallways, seeking a destination. Nothing came to mind, so he slowly trudged into the darkness, letting his restless feet carry him through the ruins in hopes of solace.

<style type="text/css">
.detou b {font-weight:bold; color:#d7b688; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #1a1206; }
.detou p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;}
.detou {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#624838; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/remzC.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 210px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#b28c7f; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
.detou p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.detou p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Sorry to be a poot, but could we backtrack this to like, le 30th or so? Big Grin -wriggles- Also, lame reply is lame ;u;

The dame's own mind was preoccupied with worries of her own, what with being so new to the Salsola lifestyle, and already finding herself in a compromising situation regarding a mistake she had made. Perhaps she was being overly cautious, but the slave woman was keeping herself bundled up and avoiding others to the best of her ability, self-conscious of the slight swell in her belly.

The sound of shuffling steps coming closer sent her hark back, the woman fearful of being scolded for the hour she was out at, rather than resting for chores for the upcoming day. Jade eyes turned toward the location of the sound, tresses falling over her blinded gaze anyhow.

Hello? she asked softly, making her presence known to avoid getting in any further trouble. She spoke softly, inching back a little. I hope I'm not interrupting a moment. I can just... I can go elsewhere if it would appease you, sir.

She dared not to move, in the case that she was, in fact, needed, though she had wanted to seclude herself out of shame.

<style type="text/css">
.wandertable b {font-weight:bold; color:#6ba574; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 2px;}
.wandertable p {padding:5px 25px; margin:0px; text-indent:0px;}
.wandertable {margin:0px auto; width:520px; background-color:#406162; background-image:url(http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9813/wandertable.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #847b73; padding:333px 0px 5px 0px; font-family:georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#8dc1d4; line-height:16px; text-align:justify; border-radius:30px;}
.wandertable .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px; text-align:center;}
.wandertable p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.wandertable p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]
that's fine

The Confidant's ponderous, meandering walk had been going just fine, when a sudden voice stopped him. Confused, he looked about for the source, finding it easily once she spoke again. Icy blue eyes narrowed as he moved closer, curious. Hey? he offered, looking her over in the pale moonlight. She was small, and he noticed her gaze wander until he closed their distance, and then she was inching away from him. Does she think I'm gunna hit her? he thought, wanting to laugh. He wasn't the type to abuse the slaves, but if she needed work, he could usually find some for them. Tonight, though, his thoughts were too clouded to bother.

Who're you? he asked, before he noticed the bronze ring in her nose. Oh, he mumbled, remembering his pride as he straightened his posture. Denver hadn't planned on making any friends tonight, but he couldn't deny a distraction, especially right now. Y'must be new... What's yer name, girl? he trailed off, considering who she might belong to, wondering if she even did. Her scent revealed little, as he might have guessed. If she had a master, he hoped they were forgiving of her night-time ventures.

<style type="text/css">
.detou b {font-weight:bold; color:#d7b688; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #1a1206; }
.detou {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#624838; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/remzC.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 210px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#b28c7f; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Sorry for crappy post. My ratty died .__.

My name, sir? came her meek voice, hark still fallen back as she continued to shuffle, though now in place. Wander Huxley. I was a... erm, gift...? To the boss.

The words sounded odd on her tongue. Gift. Boss.

Boss.

Sirius was no boss. He was too harsh, too cruel, too... Well, he was too arrogant and caught up with himself to seem to care for anyone else. A frown tugged her lips, rather disgusted with this strange culture. Mossy eyes tipped upwards slightly to 'look' at the Confidant, his blurs hard to make out in the dim lighting.

May I know your name, sir? Just... Out of curiosity, of course. You don't have to tell me if it makes you uncomfortable for talking to a... Well, a slave. Most people don't like to, apparently.

Those silver-dipped harks twitched slightly, twisting a tad to listen carefully to this stranger. He seemed oddly mellow, though that could have easily been because he was distracted. The dame considered posing this as an inquiry, though held her tongue for the time being, at least until she could figure out just what sort of person this stranger was.

<style type="text/css">
.wandertable b {font-weight:bold; color:#6ba574; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 2px;}
.wandertable {margin:0px auto; width:520px; background-color:#406162; background-image:url(http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9813/wandertable.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #847b73; padding:333px 0px 5px 0px; font-family:georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#8dc1d4; line-height:16px; text-align:justify; border-radius:30px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
i guess denver isn't such a big jerk anymore. or at least right now. >>

The girl kept calling him sir, and despite wanting it, he wasn't sure he liked it. It was a dutiful sort of formality that would've sounded better if he were the Boss. But he wasn't. Sure, he was a Confidant, the King's chosen, trusted and loyal. Still, it was too much. Her meekness had caught him off guard, and he backed off half a step, trying to get a better look at her.

Denver's pale eyes appraised the slave, whose appearance, he thought, was did not befit a slave. He wondered where she'd come from. Who found you? he asked, prying. The goings-on of his home were always his business, and the appearance of this new slave had him interested. At least she can speak, he thought, and at least I can understand her. 'M Denver, he offered, crossing his arms as he watched her, wondering. Does Sirius know you're out? The pale mutt glanced to and fro, cautious of company. I ain't helpin' you escape or nothin', he added quickly, not wishing to endanger his or Maggie's place in the pack.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

--

Escape? Oh, oh no, it's nothing like that, I can promise you, she reassured, holding up her hands a little as if to dismiss the idea. Sure, the dame craved freedom, but not to the point of risking injury. Readjusting her feet, she seemed to relax slightly, standing a tad more pigeon-toed, as if portraying her still, although slight, discomfort.

Oh goodness, what was his name... Pandemic? I was walking along, I swear, and I stumbled across his bag. I got curious and... And well, I trifled with his belongings, and, Wander frowned a bit, brow furrowing. It was stupid of me to do. Especially getting knocked out and brought here...! I'm... I don't think I'm adjusting well to this new life.

Words were laced with regret, slim body drooping a tad. Now that the dame had admitted to her alienated emotions, her mood dampened further.

And I don't think he much cares. I sleep outside some nights... Though, that fact was more pointing towards her dislike of staying too close to the Boss. He was intimidating, and for the most part wanted nothing to do with him.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
this post is derp

Denver watched her as she spoke, noting the submissive way that she held her body. Of course he knew the name, and it surprised him little that one of the Auxiliary's children was already capturing slaves. I see, he replied, nodding vaguely and scratching at his chin in thought. At least she's smart enough to go along with it, he mused, figuring that her life as a slave would be better than whatever else Pandemic and the Family could've thought up for the girl. Be glad you've got your life for that, girl, he grumbled.

Even he wouldn't tolerate someone going through his things. It might not have occurred to Denver to enslave the girl, but he would've been sure that she got an earful, at least. She seemed apologetic, though, and he doubted he would've gone much farther than that. But Pandemic was a wild young wolf, bred from Larkspur's superb genes, and infused with a touch of Eris' magic, he thought. All of their children were special; the cream of Salsola's crop.

Despite the girl's response, the Confidant was still cautious. Were you sleepin' now? Or... what were y'doin' over there? he peered over her, trying to see around her, if she had concealed anything in the darkness.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]