Not to be lost or forgotten
[html]for Cassia

After the pack assembly they had all scattered. Oak had stayed with his mother, as he felt was right. She needed him as she needed Cypress, and he would not leave her. He would have taken up the pack, he had begged her to let him, but she refused and Oak would not go against her wishes. No matter how he felt about it, no matter what his pride said.

Their camp lay miles and miles above Rabbit Lake, and yet he traveled back towards the lands he knew by heart. His lupus form was comfortable and easy in travel but there was something to be said about the statuesque figure that his Optime body created as well as the thick leather belt that hung at his waste, cocked unevenly due to the weight of the axe that was strapped to it.

He had come for someone in particular, her face lingering in his mind's eye since they had left the fallen borders. His mother was settled, and as a grown woman free to travel just as he was. The camp was a necessary homestead, a place to return to and to keep them whole.

Like the hunter he was Oak looked for her with the same tracking techniques he used on lesser prey. Scents of the pack lingered, but there was nothing tangible for him to grasp and follow. So the russet boy wandered,  hoping he would catch her before she disappeared. 

[/html]
[html] ^_^

Armor, clothes, bow, and arrows lay at the base of a nearby tree where the Calidus girl had left them. Her sheathed sword lay on a rock just at the water's edge, near in case she should need it. Meanwhile she was out in the cold water, up to her chest, washing the impurities from her cinnamon, mocha ticked coat. She lacked the cleaning implements she had used in her old home, the scrub brushes and special, scented concoctions that had been used to make her fur glisten, but even in this more rustic place she could enjoy a good bath.

Sea green eyes closed as she dipped her head below the surface to wet her long, mahogany mane. It had been months she had taken a bath of any kind, for it had only been required of her when she was to attend high class social events, but today she had felt the need to distract herself. Her new home, the place she had already so attached to after only a few weeks, had disbanded. Crimson Dreams was no more. The wolfess did not question her Praetor's judgment, in fact she agreed with it, but that could not ease the pain of being homeless once more. So she had chosen to divert her attention to self cleansing.

The frigid temperature of the lake pushed her out after only a few minutes, but that had been long enough to wash the dirt and grime from her fur. She emerged, water cascading from her feminine form as her hands busied themselves ringing the excess from her mane. Reaching the shore she bent to collect her sword and headed towards a nearby boulder, bathed in sunlight, the perfect spot to lie out and dry off. The girl had debated shifting to her quadruped form and shaking herself dry, but had decided against it for some reason.

The relatively flat surface of the boulder darkened with both her incoming shadow and the droplets of water her fur continued to shed as she gently lied down on her underside, arms folded beneath her head. She would let the sun warm her while both it and the breeze dried her pelt. Her mind began to drift to the look on Anu's face when she had announced the pack's dissolvement, but she forced it to divert to happier things. The cinnamon luperci's thoughts settled for a moment on the image of the russet male who had been her first acquaintance in these lands. The memory of his bright blue eyes brought a small smile to her face before she forced herself to move on. Oak had his family to worry about. She doubted he was even concerned with her, for he and his brother likely were focused on finding a new place to live with their mother. Their family bond was strong, something she admired...and missed.[/html]

[html]yay!

As the time passed and still he did not find the wolfess he looked for Oak grew weary that she had already disappeared. He had never been without Crimson Dreams. His mother had been between packs in her time, she knew what it was like. But Oak didn't, and it brought a harder part of him to the surface, a new armor that he needed in order to protect the ones he cared about. And now, he was worried that Cassia had fallen back to her wandering ways in order to survive. Though, Oak did not stop looking.

He moved further south, back into the land that still smelled of the Dreamers. Yet it had faded significantly and he fought the urge to strengthen it. A scent was his reward for constant diligence, and he moved more quickly as he followed it. It was as if he was meeting her for the first time, though her howl was not there to guide him.

The lake, a place Oak would always feel comfortable beside came into view. And then he knew she was near. A figure appeared, earth toned and laying along the face of a slab stone. A smile came to his face, and he called out to her. Cassia. He approached a bit slowly, hoping that he didn't startle her. It was hard for him to remember that this was no longer their home and they needed to remain diligent and on alert at all times. 

[/html]
[html] Short posts while Shadow watches the NBA play-offs lol

The Calidus girl lay on the boulder, eyes flickering with impending slumber. The warmth of the sunlight had almost lulled her to sleep when a voice called out to her. Her head lifted, groggily as pointed ears swivelled to check if she had indeed just heard someone. A suppressed yawn shortly followed by a sniff of the air brought with it a familiar scent, one which she had feared she would never smell again. The sound of his approach roused her from her reclined position, realizing that her mane was still damp. Sea green eyes blinked in the light as she turned to greet the russet male, "Oak! What are you doing here? I thought you and your family would be looking for a new home," she exclaimed, only to realize how excited she had just sounded. Was she really so desperate for company? Of course, the answer was yes, yet Cassia had not wanted to make it so obvious. After all, vulnerability of any kind was to be avoided as far as she was concerned.

A hand moved to fiddle with her still damp hair as she watched Oak walk up. The realization that she was unclothed brought a brief feeling of embarrassment, quickly followed with remembering that her species did not normally wear clothes. She only chose to do so due to the fact that she enjoyed it and her armor offered protection. Why was she feeling so self conscious? This was not like her! Calm, collected, cool under pressure, that was how she had been trained from her youth. The cinnamon girl would have to think about that later.[/html]

[html]Wink!

He walked towards her slowly. There was a bit of guilt and shame that filled him since his mother resigned from leadership. He had wanted to be her successor, but she had seen through his intentions. He had wanted it not for the pack but for her. Oak did not want to be an alpha, he had much more immature goals. He wanted to find his place, his talents, maybe a mate. Anu knew that he needed to do those things without the pressure of leadership. The guilt came from the relief he felt, he should be better then that.

She was the first outside his family that he had faced, and the male didn't know what to expect.

He watched as she caught his voice and turned to face him. What she gave him was something unexpected. There was not anger or coldness, but surprise and a small amount of exclamation. We have a small camp north of here. My mother is settled, but it's not a home. I thought... he paused, wondering what exactly it was that he was thinking. He had been searching for her and now he found her. you would be gone.  

[/html]
[html] I really need to stop trying to reply while watching basketball lol

Sea green eyes found the Oak's bright blues, refreshing her recently recalled memory. The cinnamon girl did her best to be discreet so as to not seem like she was staring, but she had no need to worry. Oak seemed similarly absorbed, so it was likely he would not notice her actions. His words renewed the excitement in her heart, though she forced herself to hide it externally. Someone had been concerned enough about her to come looking for her. She hadn't had someone care at all about her in a long time.

"No, I haven't moved on," she replied, her sea green gaze breaking from his for a moment. "I thought, perhaps, that I might leave in another day or so, but I had not decided on anything. I have never been good at saying farewell to anything. Letting go of this place, even though I have only lived here for a short time, has been difficult for me." Confessing her feelings did leave her open, but there was no point in hiding her attachment to the lands of the former Crimson Dreams. She had finally found a place where she belonged, and via an unforeseen circumstance, it had disappeared. Still, she did not blame the leader for disbanding the pack. In fact, had she been in the same situation, Cassia knew she would have done the same. Though, it would have been easier for her to protect a pack, with her training in the martial arts of the sword, bow, tooth, and claw. She would have gladly used her abilities to protect a pack, but she was only a single individual, and a female at that. Nimble, precise and strong, though she was, if matched against brute strength she would have been at a disadvantage.

"I'm glad you found me," she admitted it with a friendly smile. Oak was her friend, she had feared she would not get to see him again after the pack's disbandment. Her own personal issues and her calm, collected facade were no match for her feelings of happiness at being found by the first friend she had made in these lands. [/html]

[html]lol, go watch with my gf, she's always trying to get me into the playoffs and i'm all nooo ty

Oak had thought about her before leaving his family to start the search. There were others that he could have gone looking for and others that might need his help but Oak knew that she did not have any family among the pack members. It had been nagging at him, and finally he justified leaving the small camp he had made for Anu by telling himself that she had no family like the others and deserved a guide through the unclaimed lands. It was not because he had enjoyed spending the day with her when she first arrived, at least not that entirely.

He nodded as he replied, I think that my mother needed to leave immediately, she couldn’t linger any longer. Savina was like an aunt to me, it is hard to see her go. And then to have this happen… he paused for moment but then continued after the short silence, But I stand by my mother's choice. He would always stand beside her, even if she had refused to let him take over the pack as he had wanted.

She smiled. It was encouraging, as if she was looking for the same thing he was. Despite their quick departure from the old lands Oak did not want to loose everything he once had. A friendship was something he wished to keep, and he found comfort in the fact that it was not someone he considered family. Some Marino children had stayed in the area, or planned to he thought, but he felt a tension between them when bringing up the idea of seeking them out. With Cassia it was nothing but easy to be around her.

I’m glad you stayed around. He returned with a smile. Your welcome to share our campfire if you want.

[/html]
[html] His words bore the weight of his mixed emotions to her ears. Having such a close member of the pack pick up and leave with almost all of her family was hard on everyone. Then to have the pack disbanded...not even the fiercest of pugilists could land a one-two punch of such magnitude. He stood resolute with his mother, just as a good son should. "It was not an easy decision for your mother, but given what little I know of the situation, I agree with it as well. She did what she thought was best for us. We could and should ask for no more," she replied, her opinion clear cut and concise. Oak did not need to have someone else dredge up the issues surrounding his mother's decision, but the cinnamon wolfess thought a show of solidarity might help.

The Calidus girl had shown a similar devotion to her father, a male who she had disagreed with on almost everything. However, it had not been her place as the Consul's daughter to disagree, or offer her opinion. Her father, misguided though he had been on many social issues, had loved her, raised her and given her everything in life. His death had brought a great deal of sadness to her heart some of which had still not left entirely. Oak was fortunate to have a parent like Anu who was loved by not only her own family but by those she had led.

She too was glad she had stuck around to be found by Oak and his offer to join his family at their camp was very generous. The girl for a moment debated declining so as not to be a disruption to the family, but something in her mind slapped her out of such a thought. "I would love to, Oak. Thank you very much. I won't be a bother, I promise," she replied, walking past Oak to the tree where she had laid her clothes and armor, her sheathed blade clutched in her hand. She would need to put her clothes on if she was going to do anything else today. [/html]

[html]

Her words were sweet, sugar to his ears and eased the anxiety that he felt towards the situation. There was plenty of room for bitterness amongst the old pack members, and Oak would not blame them for feeling it. Though he appreciated her understanding and felt a great relief because of it.

She was right after all, no one could ask any more of his mother. Anu had given everything for the Dreamers. She had stood against those that sought to take their lands and had always been welcoming to those that needed refuge. Regardless of their past. They could not ask another day of hardship from her.

Thank you, I know she would find comfort in those words. As I do. The tree-named male replied, his tone soft and thoughtful. A hand sat on the axe as he waited for her answer to the invitation. He believed that if nothing else he could serve as a guide for her in the southern region, he knew the packs well and could help her choose where to settle if she wished to.

Cassia agreed, and he smiled. Watching her walk to the tree he almost forgot that she had clothing and things that she would be bringing with her. Not just things, but weapons. It was the first time that he remembered that she was a warrior and that having her beside him could serve useful and not just a pleasure. I’m not worried. He teased, though it was the truth in many ways. He was glad she would no longer be alone, and perhaps he would have more company then just his brother and mother.

Oak was not one to wear clothing and so he did not understand how she may feel self conscious in just her fur and wishing to dress before they started north. Unknowing of any worries she might hold he extended a hand and spoke, Can I carry something for you?

[/html]
[html] Oak's teasing words made her smile as she slipped into her skirt and pulled her blouse over her head. Her arm guards took only a few moments to slip on and tighten and as buckled her tasset at her hips she turned to look at Oak. He offered to carry something for her, and his gaze betrayed a curiosity about her clothing. "I appreciate the offer, but I can get it," she replied, as she moved to slip on her breast plate. Mahogany locks cascaded down her back, in the way of the straps to secure the leather armor to her body. Sea green eyes looked two and frow for the ribbon she sometimes tied her hair with, but it appeared to have been lost to mother nature. A huff of mild annoyance escaped her lips as she stood there, the breastplate hanging loosely in front of her. Now she would have to ask Oak to help her. This was not a bad thing, but for a young female taught from her birth to be self sufficient, asking for help with a normally easy task was just a slight bit frustrating.

"Oak, would you please help me buckle these straps? My hair is in the way and I do not have anything to tie it up out of the way," she questioned, turning her back to the male and gathering her hair loosely in her hands holding it up out of the way. Her request had not been an uncommon one among the women of her father's court. Their long gowns occasionally needed more than one set of hands to put on, but Cassia had always managed to get by without much help. She was not above asking, far from it, but her dislike of inconveniencing others discouraged her from seeking aid. The cinnamon woman relented only when she felt it absolutely necessary.[/html]

[html] sorry for the wait!!

Things had changed so greatly, and the male’s only way of coping was to move forward. He had settled Anu down at the camp site and then he had gone hunting. He had cut firewood, he had tethered a few snares (though still experimental). Oak had not stood still long enough to let the idea soak into his brain and grow into true realization. Then he had gone looking for Cassia, and now that she would come along with him… he wondered what they would do next.

He did not watch her directly as she dressed, but looked to the ground and readjusted his axe in its belt. Though he did not wear any of his own clothing, he understood vaguely that dressing was a private matter. At the huff that came from his lips he glanced up again, curiosity directing him.

She spoke, frustrated words and he did not hesitate to walk up behind her. Her hands were raised with the reddish brown man gathered up high and out of the way. After a moment to take in the ways the straps should go he took them up in his fingers and slipped the thread into the loop and then adjusted it till it was close to her earthy fur. Too tight? he asked, not wanting it to be pinching her in any way. The journey should not be very dangerous. He commented, looking at her armor she almost seemed – a bit– over prepared. He tone was caught in the same teasing web that entangled too many of his words, it was simply his nature to be playful.

He found that it made her smile too, and through uneasy times he did not want to dwell in seriousness.

[/html]
[html] No worries, sorry for the wait on my part. I'm moving to Texas and have just now found time to reply lol

The russet male moved to assist her, his fingers finding the straps and tightening them with ease. With a short inquiry, he checked that she was comfortable and a gentle nod with a quiet, "Mm-hm," let him know that he had done just right. The formed piece of protective clothing was made to hug her feminine form perfectly with the straps secured just so. Nimble hands released her mane and it flowed down to its normal resting place just reaching her rump.

The statement Oak offered coaxed a quiet giggle from her throat. "I guess I must look silly, putting all of this on. It's just such a habit that I don't feel quite the same when I'm not wearing it. When I was in my old homeland I wandered around, without the armor at least, quite often, but out here it's just easier to wear it rather than have to carry each piece," she explained herself reaching to cinch her sword belt to her waist, sling her quiver and bow over her shoulders and secure her sword at her hip. All in a few short moments she was ready for the short trip to Oak's family's camp, looking, as Oak had noticed, just a bit over prepared. Turning to face the male, her white fangs glistened in a soft smile, her sea green gaze betraying her eagerness. She felt so lucky that the red male had come to find her, for she would not have had the first clue of where to look for him. The cinnamon wolfess would doubtless have found him eventually, but it might have taken her a lot of traipsing and tracking through the surrounding area of which she was entirely unfamiliar. Now she would get to stay with him. Who knows what might happen next? [/html]

[html] we could end this soon if you want?

He backed away a few steps to allow her to continuing dressing. Every no and again he would glance towards her and when she spoke there was a prelude of laughter. She did not seem embarrassed by his comment, and gave a bit of an explanation. Despite his initial teasing intention the male was curious to know about her past and where she came from. He knew that she was trained, and could use the weapon that she carried, but there was still a bit of mystery surrounding where she had come from. Oak had only lived in one place and their lives had been simply ones. Unlike Cassia's.

At least you will be able to protect me. he said as he began to head in the direction of the camp. Just in case. He added with a bit of a smile.

The borders of Crimson Dreams had fallen, but their pack had been established for so long that it was unlikely that there would be any rogue loners waiting around the nearest bend. Their neighbors protected them as well, likely keeping bands of potential enemies away from the congested area. It was what Anu had said, as she spoke of the northern coast. To say near the packs that had been their allies would be must safer then disappearing into free lands to east.

[/html]
[html] Sure, if you want ^_^ I'm up for either way

His comment brought out a full fledged, good natured giggle from the girl. Protect him? Oak needed no protecting. He was a male, far stronger than her, wearing an axe at his waist. She did not doubt that he was capable of basic self defense both in biped and quadruped forms. She was likely more practiced than him, but the cinnamon girl bet that with a little training the russet male could probably give her a run for her money if not best her. "Well, I cannot offer any guarantees to your safety with just me. You might have to help," she replied, smiling at the male as he turned to lead the way. The mahogany maned luperci fell in step beside Oak and walked on in silence for several moments.

"I really do appreciate letting me come and stay at your family's camp. I can't wait to get to know all of you better," she replied, unable to really understand why. She hadn't been able to understand why she had said a lot of things to Oak. However, she did not regret any of what she had said, only acknowledged that such bursts of emotion were more than somewhat uncharacteristic. [/html]

[html]Anu + family will be settling down in the Berwick area. Details are in her profile, towards the bottom. You can feel free to reference it, as Cassia and anyone else that wants to follow them will be welcome. Smile PM me when your ready for another thread Big Grin!

She laughed, and Oak took a small glance at her face as she did so with a smile on his own. He gave a silent laugh with a shrug of his shoulders, I’ll try. he replied. Oak knew that he would have to do a lot more training and practice in the art of defense. He was a hunter at heart, a tracker and a scout. His axe had good balance in his hands and he was comfortable with the swing, which was why he carried it. If they were faced with a group of marauders, the once-Dreamer would do the smartest thing he knew how. Run.

They walked along, noses pointed north. There was a silence that fell over the trekking duo, but they had many things to think about while they walked. The air was warm, but a cool breeze could be felt through the wood, and it brought the scents of afar along with it. His ears turned at the sound of her voice, and he smiled once more as her words. She was kind, genuine and Oak was finding her honesty as wonderful as Anu always did. I am glad that you agreed. I know that you could handle yourself, but it worried me knowing that you did not know the region well… you only just got here. He confessed, his eyes down on the trail before him. Looking away from where one was stepping was a foolish thing to do in unknown territory.

My brother is a bit reserved, Cypress. He keeps to himself, though he is a good wolf. he added. Cypress was quiet, and enjoyed his own company rather then others. And you know my mother… Was all Oak felt he needed to say. Oak thought about their mother, attempting to describe her was easy and simple, but Cassia had already met that part of Anu. Even just at a glance there was a way to understand who his mother was, Oak had never seen her genuine intentions shrouded.

They will be eager to get to know you too. He assured her. It would not take long, for them to reach the campsite and he wondered if Anu had chosen a better place for them to reside while they figured out what would become of them.

[/html]