Primal Battle
[html]

out of character stuffs

Tharin was a decent hunter. Talented, his father had said. Tharin wasn't so sure of that pack since the famine had struck. He'd struggled bringing in any food at all. If he'd been so grand he should have done better. He was providing good meals for his new pack though. Tail swishing behind him Tharin thought about the members of the pack. He cared for all of them, wanted to help feed them. Well, all except one. The cripple he didn't care for, and wanted him gone. That first bitter impression hadn't faded.

Hunting wasn't the only thing he needed to be able to do though. Two of those he cared for had been attacked, both returning with wounds. Fayne, bleeding in her den, and Kiara, a mother with pups and a torn shoulder. Tharin felt helpless thinking about it. How could he prevent it from happening again? He had to be able to fight off an intruder. Growling he paced the meadow he'd played with Fayne in, thinking about how he was going to do that. Tharin play fought all the time, but it wasn't the same.

Spotting a log Tharin leaped over at it, viciously attacking at it. It helped relieve some of the helpless feeling he had, but Tharin was still unsure how he was going to improve. He wanted to be capable of protecting, and not just someone to care for the attack afterwards.

<style type="text/css">
.tharee b {font-weight:bold; color:#341f06;}
.tharee p {padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:0px;}
.tharee {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#67501f; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/EMzGi.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #341f06; padding:360px 0px 5px 0px; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; color:#9e8b56; line-height:16px; text-align:justify; border-top-right-radius:60px;}
.tharee p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.tharee p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC: Hope you don't mind me jumping in! WC: 655

The confrontation with Zalen, Titania and Augustus had sent Ciara into the shadows. As soon as the Alphas had left and Ciara had been left alone with her mate, he had stiffly informed her that they would be finding their own den. They’d dug it out together on the other side of the brook that swirled around the main den, in a nice wooded location that was both quiet and secluded while close to the larger den as well. It was there Ciara had been for almost two weeks. She was so scared to socialize even a little after what had happened with Zalen, and Augustus seemed pleased with that. He kept his orange eyes centered on her constantly. Her mate was guarding her heat fiercely, spending the nights wrapped even more tightly around her than usual and guarding her every day.

Finally, though, it seemed that her wretched heat cycle was finally at its close. Her scent was nowhere near as strong as it had been on the first day. She was no longer plagued with the hormones that caused her emotions to spiral in and out of control. The persistent itchy feeling that covered her skin had vanished and she was finally able to relax. Her golden pelt was dusty, earthen eyes no longer used to the rays of the sun. She had barely left for anything other than to relieve herself, and as she stared out the entrance to her den she realized she was starved for food, for sunshine, and for her pack mates.

Turning to her mate, Ciara gave a soft whimper and nudged his cheek with her nose. She felt like he was going to be angry with her forever, and in hopes of soothing that ire she had gone along with his almost suffocating defense of her. It was to the point where she thought she’d go stir-crazy, and with that nudge she requested the permission she felt she needed from her snowy, large mate. His resounding grumble was not prohibiting, but cautionary, and she licked over his cheek in assurance. The Epsilon would not allow another slip up.

She removed herself from her den and gave her fur a great shake. Dirt and dust flew everywhere, and she grumbled as she realized she’d need to bathe before returning to the den. For now, she wanted to stretch her legs. She was an Epsilon, a huntress and defender of the pack, so physical prowess was essential. Her neglected muscles were screaming for the chance to run, and she dug her paws into the ground, answering that call. She ran for what seemed like hours, zipping around trees, over logs, and jumping the stream countless times in an easy stride. All of this continued until she was panting, ears and tail perked posture welcoming and happy.

Now that her need of sunshine and some exertion were met, she turned her attention on finding some company. Everyone seemed to be hiding from the sun in the main den, a place she was still too afraid to venture into. The sun was warm against her remaining winter coat, and she frowned when she realized that at mid-day, too many of her brothers and sisters would be seeking shade and rest lest they get over-heated. She sat back on her haunches, waiting and listening for the sound of another wolf.

Growling and snarling filled the air and Ciara’s hair stood on end. She leapt up and ran in the direction of the noise, ready to snarl and kill and defend her pack. As she leapt the crest before her, she found herself nearly face to face with a pack brother she hadn’t formally met. Tharin, she knew. He was a pure wolf like her mate, and it seemed like he was honing his hunting skills. This caused Ciara to relax, and she sat back on her haunches again to watch him, amused.

<style>
.coc-sdb02 {width:400px; margin:0px auto;}
.coc-sdb02 .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px; padding:0px 15px; margin:-20px 0px 0px 0px; }
.coc-sdb02 p {padding:10px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.coc-sdb02 b {color:#98c1cf; letter-spacing:0px; font-family:times new roman, times, serif; font-size:14px; }
.coc-sdb02 .inner {background-color:#0f1110; border-size:1px; border-width:1px; border-style: none solid solid solid; border-color: #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#535d66; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:272px; text-align:justify; margin:0px auto; width:398px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

out of character stuffs

Tharin glanced up as a wolf charged into the clearing. He removed his jaws from around the log, licking his maw clear of the bark that had been caught up. Several dents were in the log now. Even if he wasn't a good fighter, Tharin was by no means weak. This was someone he hadn't met before, and from the smell he was glad of that fact. Tharin had struggled enough with Adonia's presence, sweet as the girl was. He was unsure if he could have stood meeting another heated female.

Dipping his head down respectfully Tharin wagged his tail. Hello. I was just practicing. Need to be able to defend the pack if necessary after all. Tharin let the fact that he wasn't sure he could defend the pack out of the conversation. She was female after all, making her smaller and more vulnerable. Tharin didn't doubt that she was strong, but the thought of a female being stronger than him, protecting him, was an idea that absolutely disgusted him, hating that weakness.

<style type="text/css">
.tharee {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#67501f; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/EMzGi.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #341f06; padding:360px 0px 5px 0px; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; color:#9e8b56; line-height:16px; text-align:justify; border-top-right-radius:60px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

WC: 350

As Ciara walked into the clearing she studied the scene before her. An amused glint lit her eyes when she noticed the claw and fang marks along the log before the similarly coloured wolf before her. When he dipped his head down in an appropriate gesture Ciara answered with a swish of her tail. Normally she would have moved closer to give the pack brother a lick or an affectionate nudge, but she was on thin ice already with Augustus and still in heat. She didn’t want to give her mate any reason to be angry with her, or with any of the other males in the pack. He already had the issue with Zalen, the insolence of Shadowfang and the snide remarks from Cerberus to deal with.

The golden female had to hold back a sigh. She wanted her mate to have a few male friends, people he could vent his frustrations with without hurting them. While she would gladly spar with her mate, she knew he wouldn’t be inclined to do so with her. She was an Epsilon, yes, but she was a female and smaller than him, especially since he was bigger than almost any of the other males in the pack. He was certainly larger than the wolf that crouched before her. This male was more her own species of wolf, and her tail swished a little more when she realized this.

“Hello,” she started softly. “I’m Ciara. I think you killed the log.” Her voice was light and teasing, and her eyes glanced down to the marks on the wood again. “We need more defenders. Last month Augustus and I went to take out a cougar on our own.” Her eyes darkened as she thought of that bloody battle. Her side still held a dull pain after a long day’s run, a reminder of the feline’s claws digging into her flesh. “I’m one of the Epsilons here. I’ve had to fight the cougar and I’ve fended off a few lynx, but I’ve never had to fight another wolf.” She sat back on her haunches then, curling her tail around herself to mask her dwindling heat-scent. It was the last day of her cycle, she was sure, but the scent was still detectible.

“Have you?”

<style>
.coc-sdb02 {width:400px; margin:0px auto;}
.coc-sdb02 .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px; padding:0px 15px; margin:-20px 0px 0px 0px; }
.coc-sdb02 p {padding:10px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.coc-sdb02 b {color:#98c1cf; letter-spacing:0px; font-family:times new roman, times, serif; font-size:14px; }
.coc-sdb02 .inner {background-color:#0f1110; border-size:1px; border-width:1px; border-style: none solid solid solid; border-color: #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#535d66; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:272px; text-align:justify; margin:0px auto; width:398px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

wow augustus is big! and tharin isn't exactly a small wolf either!

Tharin's ears flattened a little at her words. He was a proud wolf, not one to relax easily around others. He felt a little foolish, trying to train on a log. Tharin wasn't sure what else he could have done though, with no idea how to go about training to improve his fighting skills. Just attacking stuff seemed the best plan. Honing his instincts. His hackles rose at the mention of a cougar attack. If that happens again, I promise I'll be there fighting with you. There was no way a cougar was getting near the pack. The dog that hurt Kiara wouldn't get near either.

I drove off a bear once. Not before it tore up my friend's leg. It got infected... Tharin trailed off. There was no need to mention how useless he'd been, unable to fight off the infection or do anything but stay by her while her life ebbed away piece by piece. I'm going to get stronger though. Next time an attack comes, I'll help drive it off, and it won't come back again. He stood tall at the words, tail wagging as he thought about his goal.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]