on the sidelines
[html]

Hanging out at the stables~ mouse over for translation! Smile

Word Count → 231

The sunlight was warm against the dappled flanks of the horses grazing peacefully in the paddock. Hati Catori watched them, a thoughtful light in his pale blue eyes. He had grown up around horses and had a fondness for them, though he knew little more than the basics of riding since he had not been shifting long. His brother Skoll not only showed great aptitude for horsemanship, but had already been given his own personal mount; it had disheartened Hati to the point he only tried riding the communal horse, Jolie, once or twice in private. He contented himself with reading books about them instead, learning of their herd structure and how heroes of yore would ride them into battle with armor and lances.

The slim young Optime leaned on the fencepost, quiet in his observations. It was easy to pick out which of the steeds had owners; they were the sleek, well-groomed horses with defined muscle tone from frequent exercise. The unbroken stallions and mares were scruffy by comparison, grazing idly and casting a wary eye on the wolfdog watching them. "Ne vous inquiétez pas," he called to them softly, "-je ne vais pas vous apprivoiser." There was something poetic in their free and wild spirits, and Hati did not desire to impose his will upon them and dominate them. Watching them go about their daily lives was enough.

<style>
.haticai1 {background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/2QMTC.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-color:#af9479; width:520px; margin:0px auto; text-align: justify; padding:210px 0px 5px 0px; color:#4e4032; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; line-height:16px; border:1px solid #858484;}
.haticai1 b {color:#e0c9b1; text-shadow:#272011 1px 1px 2px; letter-spacing:1px;}
.haticai1 p { text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; }
.haticai1 p.ooc {font-style:italic;}
.haticai1 .wordcount {letter-spacing:0px;font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dotted #846e3e; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}

</style>
Table by Cait!
[/html]
[html] i have a problem... i cant stay away from you o.o

The male once more told the horse to ease his questions. Yet, despite his consistent hushing in the low speech he was now a master at, the stallion asked again why his rider was so unhappy. Alder's thoughts had been so heavy enthralled in his family's woes that he did not wish to speak them once again. And in low-speech especially. Hawthorn knew that they had gone to see their mother's new camp two days before, and he knew that the situation made the Marshal unhappy, but he cared deeply for his companion... And he wished for the wolf to confide him in.

Instead the wolf groomed in silence, his thoughts arranging the possibilities for his beloved mother from bad to worse. A blanket was thrown onto the dark back and then the saddle that Alder liked to ride with. The rest of the tack was habit, and he cinched and tightened and inspected with a perfectionist eye.

Though the pair had been riding the day before Alder could not linger and study his papers or sweep the stay pieces of hay. Tasks were complete and he wished to do a duty for the pack more then anything. Come now He spoke to the stallion in the way that they could both understand and then began to walk together away from the stables.

He could have taken the short exit out towards the middle of the pack lands, but the male sought out the borders and he needed to pass the pastures and rings they used for practice. As he did he noticed that they were not alone at the racetrack and stables. But the quiet son of the king had come to see the horses or perhaps find a quiet place to think. The Marshal called out a greeting, black and white Shire stepping quick beside him and eager to meet a new canine. Hello there.

Suddenly he was in a much brighter mood, worries aside he stood in the present and watched the young lad with curiosity.

[/html]
[html]

Big Grin! I was hoping something at the stables might tempt you~~

Word Count → 367

Hati's dark fur easily absorbed the warmth from the sun, making him drowsy and content. Some of the horses seemed to react the same way, rolling around in the grass, showering themselves in dust and pollen. He giggled quietly at how ungainly they looked then, big round barrel bellies with skinny stick legs waving about. Horses were normally so elegant, but it was a treat to see them letting loose.

Hati straightened quickly when he heard a voice hailing him, making sure his posture was proper. Appearance was important to him, as were good manners. "Hello, Marshall Alder," Hati replied politely, nodding his head in friendly greeting. The tall sandy-grey wolf with the dark mask over his eyes was a familiar sight, recognizable by his broad shoulders and scent intermingled with the horses he devoted his life's work to. He had seen Alder performing duties several times in the past, but it occurred to Hati that they had never really spoken one on one before. When he was a little pup, he spent his days shadowing his mother, meeting all the Courtiers and watching them from a distance. Now as an adolescent, he was slowly beginning to branch out and find his place on his own, but it seemed he had not made any friends with his reserved behavior. Everyone knew he was one of the king's sons, but that was all they knew about him. He wasn't sure yet if that actually bothered him, or if he preferred to keep them at a safe distance.

The wolfdog stepped lightly forward, closing the distance between them, and smiling at the Shire stallion's eagerness to meet him. "I hope I'm not keeping you from your ride," he said with a nod towards the leather tack. He raised his pale-furred hand up for the horse to inspect, remembering that the book said horses liked to sniff them before initiating contact. "I was just watching the herd graze... they're very peaceful." Blue eyes raised to meet the taller male's expression, searching for any signs of impatience or annoyance. He did not want to disturb the stable master. He would stay out of the way, if his presence was a problem.

<style>
.haticai1 {background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/2QMTC.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-color:#af9479; width:520px; margin:0px auto; text-align: justify; padding:210px 0px 5px 0px; color:#4e4032; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; line-height:16px; border:1px solid #858484;}
.haticai1 b {color:#e0c9b1; text-shadow:#272011 1px 1px 2px; letter-spacing:1px;}
.haticai1 .wordcount {letter-spacing:0px;font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dotted #846e3e; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}

</style>
Table by Cait!
[/html]
[html] ahhh, you know me well!

Hawthorn was typically the first to reach out and meet any canine that he and Alder came upon, his rider being much more reserved. As the younger male spoke the horse eagerly bristled with excitement and the Marshal returned the nod with a smile. Hati approached them, and gave a hand to the horse to smell. But of course it was not enough for the large Shire who desired a petting and showed it. He pressed his nose into the light furred hand and drew he head down to show exactly what he wished from the wolf.

Alder placed a hand on the needy horses neck and replied to the blue gray male with a shake of his head. I don’t think Hawthorn minds. His tone was light, as his mood was drifting from anxious and worried to something calm and a bit more relaxed. The horse then moved his head to give the boy access to his ears, he was happy seeking the attention of another while Alder simply watched.

They are. The Marshal returned, turning and moved to the fence, leaning against it slightly. He looked out to watch them for a prolonged moment. Returning to his fellow Courtier he wondered why they had not conversed before. The male’s brother had made himself known just when he was a pup. But Alder understood that no brothers were exactly the same… being the quiet one out of his own litter.

Do you like horses? He asked, deep voice a seemingly abnormal tone for his kind tore bay gaze. If he wished to ride, perhaps they could go together.

[/html]
[html]

<333

Word Count → 315

Hati's polite mask lit up with a genuine smile as Hawthorn pressed his velvety nose forward, nuzzling the boy's hand. He happily scratched the stallion behind the ears, rubbing his palm against the white blaze that marked the horse's broad face. "Hawthorn is so friendly," he stated simply, pleased that the animal seemed fond of him. The Shire was bigger than the other horses he had seen, especially up close, and it impressed him. The little illustrations in his book had not done them justice. "Jolie isn't as affectionate, she just wants treats," he added ruefully, thinking again on the docile mare he had attempted to ride. She had ignored his feeble attempts to direct her, and stood placidly grazing until he lost interest and returned her to the stable. At least no one had been there to see him fail.

Alder asked him a direct question, and manners dictated he answer promptly and honestly. "I do like horses, a lot," he admitted seriously, patting Hawthorn's muscular neck. Did anyone in the Court dislike horses? Many of his packmates had chosen personal mounts to train and raise, and he was aware they sometimes traded horses with neighboring packs, forging important alliances while strengthening their own stock. He would like his own horse someday, once he was worthy, of course. Alder was watching the herd over the fence, relaxed posture radiating confidence and patience. Hati knew he wouldn't be as tall or as strong as the Marshall when he was full grown, but perhaps he would find the same assertiveness, follow his own talent. "I like watching them, I mean, I... don't ride," he clarified, fingering the leather bridle that crossed the bridge of Hawthorn's muzzle. Skoll was good at riding, or so he had told his family, bragging about his lovely mare Hwin. Hati didn't want to compete when he knew he couldn't keep up.

<style>

</style>
Table by Cait!
[/html]
[html]

Jolie Alder knew the mare, and knew her because of Skoll. She was a fine mare, but he could see the differences between she and the stallion clearly as Hati did. She did not have the desire as other horses did, a drive as Alder thought of it. There was something that needed to be seen in a horse, something that Alder needed to connect with that would cause him to choose them. Hawthorn had it, and he still could not find the one that would be his second steed… He knew that he was choosy. She enjoys apples. Too bad they are not in season. Alder had run out of his store months ago. He gave a small smile as he spoke it though, Jolie was still a fine mare and good to learn with.

The masked tree-named male leaned on the fence as he watched the other younger wolf give Hawthorn as that he desired. He could have rolled his eyes at the black and white steed… Hati continued, though Alder could see that he did indeed like horses. It was very apparent, and he was happy to know that there was another pack mate that liked the creatures. There was some that did not, and they had even tried to hunt the pack’s herd. Terra would not be welcomed near the stables again.

You could learn. He returned, now standing with his full weight on two paws. Have you been on the back of a horse while it cantered? He asked again, smile remaining.

[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 330

"Do all horses like apples?" Hati asked curiously, glancing to Alder for confirmation. He knew horses ate grass and hay... and he supposed vegetables and fruits, if they could find them. It was a good thing they had a stable master who knew so much. And perhaps it was lucky that their horses were mostly captured from the wild rather than captive-bred, so they knew how to feed themselves already. Hati returned to showering attention on the big Shire stallion, entranced by the handsome steed.

Walk, trot, canter, gallop. Those were the gaits he had read about; Alder was referring to one of the faster ones. He quickly shook his head no, that was far too advanced for him. He didn't even know how to saddle up a horse, since all the tack looked so complicated and he hadn't wanted to ask for help. He knew his mother's horse, Asagi, and had worked with her when they cleared the field for the Amphitheater construction. But even that had been more plow work than anything, and he did not feel comfortable asking his mother permission to borrow her chestnut mare for riding lessons.

"I'm not sure I have a talent for riding," Hati said, more softly. "I didn't connect with Jolie the way you and Hawthorn do. And she's supposed to be the easiest to ride, so doesn't that mean I can't do it with any of them...?" He asked with a frown, doubt shadowing his pale eyes. He didn't want to stress the horses by forcing himself on them, not if they didn't want him there in the first place. Wasn't there supposed to be something special between horse and rider, a partnership? Alder and 'Thorn embodied that perfectly. His father had told them the story of Nádherné, the stallion who followed him home one day out of the blue. Horses chose their rider, not the other way around. That was how it was supposed to be... wasn't it?

<style>

</style>
Table by Cait!
[/html]
[html] ^^

Alder nodded at the question, I haven’t met one that doesn’t. It was a treat and a training tool but also a luxury. He was glad that in a cellar they could keep for some time, but they never lasted till the next season and it was a shame.

The male came to the horse’s side, watching the midnight hued boy as he spoke. At his age Alder had never truly known how to ride either. It was not till he had met Hawthorn that Alder had known a horse that could take his weight. Till then he had studied, learned the ways of the stables and the ways of their language and how they spoke through body language.

He shook his head. You just need a teacher. Everyone does. Alder had, Anann as well as Heath had told him many thing and taught him well. Lets go for a ride today. he spoke. Alder was not a confident male, not in any place but beside a horse. Here he knew what to do, knew who he was among the horses and knew his limits. It was why he began unsaddling the stallion, quick easy motions that released the saddle so that he could place it on the rail of the fence. The blanket remained.

Stepping back he invited the other to stand beside the horse, I will help you up. he said as he wore a soft smile.

[/html]
[html]

=D

Word Count → 249

Hati studiously filed away the useful tip; once apple harvesting season rolled around, he could treat the horses here and get them to trust him more. Knowing Alder didn't mind him hanging around and watching the herd grazing gave him a little confidence -- he could visit the stables more frequently now, perhaps let Lottie tag along.

He watched the leather saddle being loosened and removed, waiting a moment for the next statement to sink in. "Wh... Right now? With Hawthorn? Erm, I don't think that's such a good idea," the Catori boy stammered, his calm exterior disintegrating. He didn't want to be humiliated in front of someone as respected as the Marshall, someone with so much experience and knowledge over him. But still, the desire to ride on horseback was such an elusive freedom... It was the one thing he looked forward to most about shifting, and he had to wait longer than either of his siblings to reach this point. Being slower to develop made him self-conscious, and being called a 'late bloomer' was not much comfort. He needed to catch up to Skoll, and Alder was the best possible teacher.

Conflicted, Hati frowned, finally edging closer to Alder. "But... if I'm not keeping you from your duties, I guess... I would appreciate a lesson," he mumbled, hoping he didn't come across as churlish. Hawthorn was the most magnificent horse he had ever seen, and it would be an honor, even if he ended up falling off.

<style>

</style>
Table by Cait!
[/html]
[html]

There was hesitation in the younger male’s words and tone. It lingered in his body as well, and Alder found it a bit confusing. He wished to ride, but he was unsure if today was the day he would take on the challenge. Despite Alder’s initial questioning he knew what that felt like. He needed to think about it for a moment, but he was so very similar to Hati in that way. The Marshal was glad that he had learned to take the leap when the opportunity arose, besides the male had a plan and Hati did not need to worry.

Before Alder could get in another word of encouragement the other wolf came to the conclusion himself. He smiled, giving him a nod and thinking him a brave wolf. He patted the horse, who had turned back towards them as if wondering what they were waiting so very long for. Get ready to swing your leg over. He said to the boy as he readied himself to help the smaller wolf up onto the wide back of the Shire horse. He had no doubt that Hawthorn would be able to take on the weight of the Catori male as well as his own, as was his initial plan.

He felt that some were ready to ride on their own, after learning the basics. But Hati seemed to uneasy around the stallion to try it on his own. Alder figured he would ride with him at the start and allow him to gain a bit more confidence.

[/html]
[html]

I hope you're having fun on your trip! Wink Little powerplay here, just to get him on.

Word Count → 312

Hati took a deep breath, swallowing the nervous lump in his throat. It was now or never, and he had to learn how to do this. Everyone was a beginner once, and it was nothing to be ashamed of. Wishing he believed the clichéd statements himself, the wolfdog made his move; stepping his footpaw into Alder's waiting hands, and letting the big male boost him up over Hawthorn's wide back. He swung his leg over just as he was instructed, feeling a sudden rush of panic as he went off-balance. Quickly he gripped a handful of Hawthorn's mane, steadying himself as he found his seat. Finally, he released the breath he hadn't realized he was holding, slumping with visible relief. He hadn't fallen!

"Merci, Marshall Alder," Hati recited quickly, pale eyes looking down on the tall masked male for the first and probably last time he would have this high a vantage point. He released his tight hold on Hawthorn's mane, patting the stallion's muscular neck in silent gratitude for not bucking him off. It was a strange sensation to be so high off the ground, and to have a living breathing creature underneath him. The position was unfamiliar too, his legs splayed so far apart as he straddled the horse's back. It was uncomfortable to stretch like this, but he shrewdly suspected that he would get accustomed to it. His plumed tail curled anxiously against his back as he sat stiffly, remembering that this was as far as he had gotten before. "What... do I do now?" he asked with uncertainty. He did not know how to communicate with a horse, with his movements or his voice. Watching other riders, it always seemed so intuitive, as though two beings had become one. Would Alder let him in on the secret, or was he failing to grasp something obvious to others?

<style>

</style>
Table by Cait!
[/html]
[html]so sorry for the wait!

The midnight hued wolf sat on the deep ink well stallion in just an instant. He looked small on the wide back of the horse, his stature nothing like the Marshals’. Alder had always imagined that he looked a bit large for the horse, but now seeing another on his precious steed he was not sure. Perhaps he seemed just the right size to those that looked at him upon the Shire.

Hati looked to him with a deep sense of unease, unsure about what to do next. The Marshal found his nature so very similar to his own that it was easy to be around him. His golden brother was a bit more difficult. Skoll was a nature leader and it was obvious that he was fully comfortable under the Marshal’s advice. It was simply that nature of the wolf, they were meant to lead or follow. Skoll had never been anything but respectful to the older male, but there was an instinctual balance that Alder could feel that their ranks pushed against.

With Hati the roles of teacher and student were as natural as the deep indigo pelt and the black mask that either wore.

Hold still. He handed the reins to the Hati and then stood beside the pair, placing his hands on the back of the horse. In a moment he sat on the Shire’s back, an experienced swing of his leg and worked muscles doing so naturally. He sat behind the male, taking in the different position further back atop Hawthorn. Black hands reached around the younger male, to take back the reins that he had wordlessly asked him to hold onto. Ready? He questioned. Not giving much of a chance for the other male to respond Alder tapped on the horse’s side to get him to move forward.

[/html]
[html]

I just hope you are feeling better now. Smile You can always take as long as you need!

Word Count → 307

Hati gripped the reins tightly when Alder placed them in his hands, catching his breath as he anxiously awaited the next command. He would do everything he was told to, if it would help him achieve what he longed for. Instead, the stablemaster went into action, expertly swinging up onto the stallion's broad back behind him. Hati's eyes widened, more than a little nervous to have the stalwart male looming over him, scrutinizing his every move. What would he be asked to do? Would he be able to perform satisfactorily, or would he panic and fail? Then he felt the big arms wrap around him, experienced black hands taking the reins from his trembling white fingers. It was strangely comforting, relinquishing control of the situation to his instructor, letting Alder show him everything he needed to learn. He trusted the Marshall implicitly, and just hoped that the older packmate would have the patience to help him through his self-doubt.

Alder asked if he was ready, and Hati merely nodded, blue eyes fixated on the view between Hawthorn's pointed ears. The ground seemed so far down, but he did not fear falling as much now, not with Alder's protective presence behind him. There was a small lurch as the stallion began walking forward, and Hati quickly grasped a handful of the Shire's mane, needing something to hold onto. He sat stiffly upright, legs squeezed tightly around Hawthorn's withers, his heartbeat racing in his chest. And yet, nothing scary happened -- there was no rearing or bucking, they were not plummeting to the ground, and he felt safe and secure from his perch. Gradually, the wolfdog exhaled the breath he was holding, and craned his neck back to look to Alder, seeking his next cue. "Are we cantering?" he asked meekly, gazing up at the taller male behind him.

<style>

</style>
Table by Cait!
[/html]
[html]

Hawthorn knew what to do; this the Marshal was certain about. He and the horse had been through many days together, and Alder figured at times that the horse knew him better then he even knew himself. It was a partnership that Alder believed many to have with another wolf and a friendship that he likely should have sought out in his own kind... But there was a comfort beside the horse, a quiet that none other could compete. He knew the words ‘Thorn wished to speak, just by the way he stood, walk and felt as the wolf sat atop his back.

With another rider accompanying them that movement was certainly different. Alder took a moment to adjust and did so easily and quickly. The horse took the weight without much trouble either and with no complaint in a low speech tone. Hati was not very heavy, Alder had calculated by a look, and without much tack and no saddle bags Alder figured it was what the horse had experienced in the past.

The midnight hued wolf moved, turning to look back at the Marshal. Alder smiled at him, and shook his head at the question. Not yet, you will know. There was bumps in the motion of the horse, but there was no doubt that Hati would notice the change when the older wolf chose to ask ‘Thorn to move faster. Together the trio walked away from the stables and pastures and to the large track. Hawthorn moved steadily and without pause or a shake of his head in respect for the new rider.

Once upon the track Alder gathered the reins bit tighter, and clicked his tongue at the stallion to tell him to giddy on up. The black horse knew, the silent language or experienced partners resonating deeply, and kicked up the pace so that they were no longer in a simple walk. The wind instantly tickled at their fur and the bump of the trot increased.

[/html]
[html]

/is a slowbro

Word Count → 438

Hati could sense the deep bond between Alder and Hawthorn before they had even started speaking, and now that he was on horseback moving in tandem with the two of them, it was as though they had accepted him into their inner circle. He knew it was only temporary, and they trusted each other far more then either could individually trust him, but... it was still a glimpse into their world. Hati wanted it for himself more than ever now; he wanted to find his own 'Thorn, a wise and loyal companion who did not need words to express the connection between them. He was an introverted youth, one who did not make friends easily because of his quiet and serious nature. There weren't others his age in the kingdom, and those older than him were intimidating in their superior knowledge and rank. It was an awkward phase he had entered into, wanting to be seen as an adult himself but too young to look like one just yet. But horses didn't care about all that. They were blind to the self-conscious insecurities of a young male who just wanted them to like him back.

They moved placidly away from the barn, past the sunny paddocks in the field, and out to the abandoned racetrack. Hati knew it was rarely used for its intended purpose, if ever, but it did seem like a nice even ground for riding. Alder gathered the reins in his charcoal fingers, causing Hati to tense up, stiffening his shoulders. What would come next? At the clicking signal, the stallion showed him the next phase -- hooves thudding against the dusty ground, the rising and falling of their rhythmic pace gaining speed. There was a bump with every downbeat, a pulse in Hawthorn's percussive cadence. Hati leaned back against Alder's broad chest, afraid if he did not have the support behind him, the rhythm would send him sliding right off into the dirt.

"Marshall Alder, if... I wanted to be a stablehand, what would I have to do?" He asked suddenly, peering back over his shoulder. He could be helpful, couldn't he? He didn't want to spend all of his time merely watching from the sidelines anymore. In exchange for Alder's lesson, he would gladly groom the horses, muck out the stables, carry hay bales, whatever menial task was required of him. He would just have to be shown how to do all of those things, because he was utterly inexperienced. Maybe someday he would be rewarded with the ability to ride on his own. He swallowed nervously, twisting his fingers in Hawthorn's mane.

<style>

</style>
Table by Cait!
[/html]
[html]

Where the unsure youth was nervous, Alder simply did what came natural to him. He rode the horse, gave him the minimal direction that he needed and enjoyed the lesson that was being held on the track. He remembered well how hard it was to learn to ride alone, and how Anann had helped so greatly. He was more then willing to assist the Squire in his quest for knowledge, but the question that was asked was not exactly expected.

Alder did not need to think long on it though, Learn to care for the horses, help with their training and assist me in the upkeep of the stables. was his reply. It was a laborious job to do day in and day out, and it took passion and strength in order to complete it. Alder was muscular and held stamina for a reason. Hauling water and moving muck sculpted each arm and leg.

Is it the path you want to take? He asked soon after. They continued around the rounded track, Hawthorn moving steadily beneath them. Alder wondered if it was perhaps awe that brought the male here, or it was curiosity or if it was indeed a true desire to learn. Others enjoyed the horses, they rode even if they did so poorly. Many members kept their own steeds, boarding them until they needed them. Then there were the ones that had found true companions and friendship in the horses. Alder could see that in Hati, even if it was just his first ride.

[/html]
[html]

maybe wrap this up soon? :> I will poke you with an idea I had!

Word Count → 379

They continued around the gentle curve of the track, warm breeze teasing the dark locks of Hati's mane. He felt himself leaning forward a little, beginning to relax and enjoy the sensations of riding. Hawthorn's scent was all around him, the perfume of hay and horsehide and freshly cropped grass. He didn't want this to end. It was already far beyond the scope of his previous interactions with the herd, and with Alder's safe presence at his back, he felt like he could not lose control. The deep voice rumbled behind him, answering his abrupt question. Perhaps it had been a flight of fancy, a whim invoked by the fluttering excitement he felt from his first real horseback ride. Did he really have it in him to be a stablehand?

"I..." Hati faltered, wanting to give an honest answer but needing to find it first. He loved to learn new things, whether by reading every book he got his paws on, or by moments like this when an experienced teacher was willing to pass on his knowledge firsthand. And horses drew him in so magnetically; he wanted to be around them, to help them and make them happy. But the thought of immersing himself in this path made him balk -- for what if he failed? He still had no talent for riding, still could not connect with the horses in that intangible way Alder could. And physically he knew his shortcomings -- he did not have the strength and endurance for manual labor, and did not know if he ever would. He seemed to be growing lean and lithe as he neared his adult height, looking more like his svelte wolf mother than his heavyset dog father.

"I don't know if I'll be much suited for it," he finally admitted, bowing his head. He had to be honest -- he respected Alder too much to try and muster a false bravado. "If you think I could be helpful to you, though... I would do my best." And that was the truth he found within himself -- a tiny spark of ambition, so fragile the slightest setback could extinguish it. He did want that path, even if he did fear it would be too challenging for him to achieve.

<style>

</style>
Table by Cait!
[/html]
[html] sounds good!

Alder waited patently for the other wolf to reply. Some said that patience was a virtue; but Alder never truly seemed to run out of it and did not understand the saying. While Hati thought over the prospect Alder focused on the ride, his body over the horse, the way Hawthorn was holding back as they moved slowly around the track. It was not what the horse had wished to do, that was clear in his movements.

Hati spoke, and Alder listened intently. A smile worn softly on his face. Alder looked forward, out onto the track and did not think much of Hati’s hesitation. He had much of his own when working with horses. It was hard for some to find the strength in themselves, and Alder knew that well. Report to me in the stables tomorrow, and I’ll see what I have for you to do. He returned, his own tone lacking any reservations. Instead his deep voice was lighter then usual.

Hati would do fine, that was clear to the Marshal. He was unsure about committing to the task, but Alder could see it was not because Hati was unsure if he would like it but if he could accomplish it and without fail. That spoke volumes, it told him that Hati took what he did seriously and that it was not to be taken lightly.

[/html]
[html]

fade to black? Smile

Word Count → 301

He held his breath, waiting for Alder's patient reply. He was anxious, wondering if he would be told to come back later when he was older. Or, that his initial doubts were correct, and it would not suit him to work here with the horses. He should stay with his books, reading about everything he would never do in life. Pale blue eyes gazed out at the scenery rushing past them, the rhythm of the trot a natural rise and fall now. Would this be his last time on horseback?

Alder spoke then, and Hati sat bolt upright, sudden joy overcoming the polite mask he wore around adults. "Merci beaucoup, thank you so much!" He was going to ride horses, and train them, and take care of them for everyone in the kingdom. He quickly reined in his enthusiasm to a more controlled level, but the smile remained, hopeful and bright with anticipation. He had been given a chance to prove himself, and he had to live up to Alder's high expectations. He couldn't give up on this. It was too important.

"I... I'll be there," he added in a calmer tone, trying to sound more mature. Of course he took this seriously -- this could be his future co-rank, the way he served his birthplace and repaid his family for investing in him. But only if he was successful, which was still to be seen. How would he ever sleep tonight, knowing what he had accomplished today and what awaited him tomorrow? The youth gripped Hawthorn's mane tightly, trying to focus his scattered thoughts. He was still enjoying his first ride, and he did not want to waste the time they had left together. However things turned out, Hati would always be grateful that Alder took a chance on him.

<style>

</style>
Table by Cait!
[/html]