Defying Gravity
[html]
Set in the late afternoon. Ember is always in Optime form unless otherwise stated Smile

Ember made due in life, but some days the exhaustion of her mental status got to her. She could slay a hundred bandits and not feel any better, because this odd pain seemed to come from somewhere inside. The warrior was used to feeling twinges from healing wounds and had even broken bones in the past (her sister Firefly had snapped the bone in her arm once) but this type of pain was entirely unique. It resonated deep within her, only surfacing during certain times. It seemed to come almost at random, this strange mixture of self-pity, self-loathing, and regret.

Her companion called it her "moods", times when she would grow quiet and not want to talk to him or sing or laugh as she normally did. The spirit guide had been with Ember for around two years of her life and knew her better than anyone. This meant that he also knew to leave her alone when she got to acting like that, because it was something that she had to work through on her own. Today she'd felt the beginning of a mood coming on, but had decided that she wasn't going to let it get to her and that she'd cheer herself up one way or another. The normally bold female began to nod her head along with the movements the equine beneath her, letting the rhythm lay the groundwork for a small and simple melody. Today was going to be a good day.

She began to smell a different scent on the breeze, that of Inferni, and moved to give it a wide berth. She planned to visit them in the next couple of days, but would head to the east toward Anathema first to see if her sister of sorts was doing well with the pack she'd founded. Ember was dressed as she normally was, a long and airy dress covering most of her dark fur. She rode with a bow and quiver of arrows over one shoulder, hanging off to the side so as not to hit her mount. Her sword waited at the ready on a wide leather belt that was cinched around her waist. She displayed it openly and knew how to use it well. She reached to brush a wayward strand of black hair from her eyes, stopping her singing for a moment to speak to her ever-present companion. "Beautiful day, right Utriu? We should stop at that pond up ahead, take a dip perhaps." She dismounted when they reached the area, beginning to unbuckle her belt and tug at the hem of her dress to remove it as soon as her hind paws hit the ground.

[/html]
[html] <style type="text/css">
.sprw-ooc {font-size:0.9em;line-height:1.2em;padding-bottom:3px;font-style:italic;width:85%;max-width:640px;min-width:490px;margin:0 auto;text-align:right;font-family:georgia;}
.sprw {margin:0 auto;padding:0;background:#000 url(http://i.imgur.com/BioVT.jpg) no-repeat top left;width:90%;max-width:640px;min-width:490px;border:1px solid #8A9E95;outline:1px solid #000;color:#cecece }
.sprw .name {font-family: 'Cedarville Cursive', cursive;color:#C49456;font-size:70px;margin:175px 0 0 7px;padding:0;line-height:20px;text-shadow:2px 2px 6px #000}
.sprw .lyrics {font-family:georgia;font-style:italic;margin:14px 0 0 64px;line-height:100%;color:#C4C4C4;}
.sprw .in {margin:10px 10px 10px 10px; padding:5px; font-family:arial;font-size:1em;}
.sprw p {margin:0;padding:0;text-indent:30px;}
.sprw .line { border-bottom:1px solid #383838;padding-bottom:10px;margin:0 auto}
.sprw b {color:#C6B5A1;font-family:georgia;}
.sprw-credit {text-align:center;font-size:0.9em;font-style:italic;font-family:georgia}</style>

Sparrow is in optime as well, wearing a simple cloak. :> And I assumed that Utriu gets around be floating, also that he's visible... Correct me if I am wrong. xD
WC: 473
Sparrow
I've lived a lot of different lives, been different people many times;
I live my life in bitterness and fill my heart with emptiness

Sparrow was more anxious than usual. Though the threat of the Boreas wolves has long disappeared, the memory of them still haunted her in the waking hours. The problem was easily solved, however, with solo patrols along the wooden claim of Inferni’s territory, sometimes even doing so at night just to quell some sort of paranoid urge. But, no matter how much she snaked along the edges of the clan’s borders, she found no peace. Perhaps she was thinking of further troubles, that the Boreas had convinced others of coyotes’ blasphemy that was labeled against them the moment they were born. That fear fueled her daily leavings of the territory to see if she could right whatever wrong they made with measly trades and good-willed conversations, like that day.

She did not plan to conceive any trades that day, most of her furs now going towards cloaks for the dog-man she had met the other day, but she brought along her bag full of various meats nonetheless, thinking she could share a meal with whomever she met. She found that because of her fear of Inferni’s bad reputation, she was becoming more social, her speaking skills more refined and becoming that of a normal person’s. She still had a long way to go before she’ll ever be able to speak confidently, but at least she saw the path before her. The thought inspired her to leave the safety of Inferni every time she stepped out of it.

It was not long until she scented a lone wolf—she knew the smells of the surrounding packs by then, having at least ghosted by their territory at least once. She became slightly wary, but the faintest sounds of singing seemed to calm her down a little; if they were the Boreas, they would never be singing, or at least the idea was unimaginable. As she approached, she saw the figure that had made the singing up close. It was a rather tall wolfess, her fur black as a river, though as she stepped closer, noticed that is was mottled with brown. Despite the fact she did not seem to be hostile, she was a bit nervous to talk to her.

“G-greetings,” she called out, her voice soft so that in hopes it would not scare her too much, if not at all. Then she noticed the whale—which just spooked her out of her wits, causing her to jump and to take a few steps back. “W-w-what is that?” Sparrow asked nervously, her hands too shaky to raise a finger at the creature, though she was certain that the she-wolf knew what she was talking about. That is, unless the hybrid was imagining things and the whale wasn’t real at all, though she wished that was not true despite the unreality of a floating porpoise.

Image by Thom Stevens
[/html]
[html]
Sorry, I should have specified that! He's normally invisible, leading canines to believe that Ember's talking to herself XD But he can be visible for our thread ^^

Her companion was a trickster, if anything; he had long since become bored of the things that Ember did on a daily basis (train, scout, hunt, and train some more) and often had to make up his own fun to keep himself amused. Today was no exception to that; he had spotted the other canine first, and drifted over top of Ember's head lazily as she unclothed herself. The voice made the lithe girl clutch her clothing against herself in an attempt to remain decent; she never went without clothing, even in the hottest weather, and definitely didn't like the idea of meeting someone new without the security that they offered. She turned away from the smaller canine as they approached, lifting her dress over her head and allowing it to fall over her shoulders so that it would cover her.

Sparrow's question struck her like a bullet, and she stood dumbly before her without an answer for several moments. What could the other canine be talking about? Had she seen the scars that ran deeply across her chest and shoulder? Or maybe she'd been horrified by something else about her and the way that her body looked. She had always been tall, and it wasn't something that she could help. Her mind skipped from one distressing hypothesis to another as her muzzle stumbled across a few words. Jade eyes went to Bayard, who was moving his head in to get a better look at the stranger. "What? My horse? He won't hurt you".

It didn't make sense for the stranger to be afraid of a horse, though, or of Ember herself. Her weapons-belt lay on the ground next to the pond, useless at the moment. A screeching bird-call in the trees above made her lift her muzzle slightly, just long enough for her eyes to catch a shimmer of silver in the otherwise clear sky. Utriu had disappeared, but not quickly enough, and a sudden realization dawned upon her. "Ahh! Shit! He can't hurt you, he's not really...there. He's a spirit. One who likes to play a lot of pranks, especially on little canines like yourself who'll give him the attention he wants. He's like a spoiled pup, really" She tried to explain. Utriu did what he wanted, when he wanted for the most part; she could not control him. "His name is Utriu. I gained him as a spirit guide when I lived in AniWaya. But please, don't be afraid, miss"

[/html]
[html]

all of your ways and all your thunder got me in a haze running for cover
where we gonna go from here?

Word Count → 364 :: Ahh, okay. xD

Though she did not think anything of it, she did see the woman undress. But, she didn’t realize, or probably forgotten, that some were conscience of their body and hid it under hefty clothing, and it became apparent that the dark wolfess harbored such insecurities as well as she suddenly stopped and began to put her covers back on. It was not like Sparrow minded, but she became embarrassed for some reason, shyly looking away with clenched teeth until she seemed to be finished, all the while mentally cursing for making the other uncomfortable. Though she wasn’t ashamed of her own body, the woman found herself tugging her bland cloak around her, as if in hopes for her to prevent some social faux pas, murmuring a quiet “sorry” that could have been lost in the wind.

Sparrow curtly shook her head side to side, and tried pointing with her wide eyes at the thing that now levitating above her head. For a scary moment, she thought it would fall on top of her, and began to stutter in a low voice, “Uh-um… look—that—“ Before she could spit it out, a bird cut her off, which also grabbed the woman’s attention, making her turn her hand and caught sight of the whale, or whatever was left of it before it disappeared. She was dumbfounded, and became certain that she was imagining things. Great, she thought with some spite, maybe the horse will grow wings now and join the bird.

Before she could thoroughly freak out, the woman jeered, cutting off her thoughts. She listened carefully to her explanation, and sighed in relief, though she was still slightly shaking from the sight. “O-ohkay… That makes sense, I guess.” She never heard of a floating dead whale as a spiritual guide, but, she obviously just saw it, and started to wonder a lot of things. But, she tore her mind off of the trivial, at least for now, and focused on the wolf in front of her. “N-name’s Sparrow, Praeses—a scout—of Inferni. What’s your name?” she asked, her tone still a bit nervous, though a friendly smile managed to play across her face.

<style>
.sparrowaly-thunder {font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 0px; padding:0px 40px 0px 40px; background-image:url(); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top center;}
.sparrowaly-thunder p.ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; text-align:justify; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.sparrowaly-thunder p.ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.sparrowaly-thunder .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.sparrowaly-thunder p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:10px 5px;}
.sparrowaly-thunder b {letter-spacing:.05em;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Even as a pup and adolescent, Ember had always been one for traveling. Once she'd discovered her independence she had felt the urge to roam, and the itch to explore the winding roads-less-travelled had not released her yet. She had tried to join packs, tried to live with family and get along with everybody...but time and time again, things had fallen apart in her life and she'd been forced to go through some major changes. Nomadic life, a life where she and only she had control, seemed to be the right way to go for her. Maybe someday she would choose to settle permanently, though. But it would have to be for a good reason.

Conversation was something that had always come easily to the charcoal wolf. She could speak with almost anybody about almost anything without getting embarrassed. There were times when she fought to find words for what she was trying to describe to whomever she spoke, but overall she thought that her conversational skills weren't bad at all. She just had to shove her true nervousness down deeply into herself and focus on what the other canine was saying and how she was saying it. Easy enough, for her. "I didn't know if you'd had th'chance to get all the way down to AniWaya, is all...the guides are pretty unique to that place. I believe that Utriu came to me because of my love of the oceans."

There were times that she forgot that Utriu was a whale, though, because of his preference of invisibility. She was used to him and her tie to him made her pay less attention to what he looked like or what form his spirit had taken. The other canine seemed to stumble over her words as she introduced herself. Sparrow. She certainly did remind Ember of a sparrow, a common, small, and somewhat flighty bird. Not that this Sparrow seemed common, at all. Her pelt was filled with its own pattern of luscious color, so unlike Ember's own that she felt a pang of envy. She had been jealous of her fawn colored sibling for most of their life, envious of her beautiful brown and cream pelt. She fought those thoughts from her head, nodding at the other.

Ember's own name would have made more sense if she'd had red or orange eyes instead of the green-blue that she did. She'd been named for someone else, a young black-pelted luperci that had been one of her father's good friends...and that didn't seem very fair. She'd been given a recycled name, one that she'd fought against and disliked for the first few years of her life. She wasn't Ember, she was herself. Over time, she'd come to realize that her name really did suit her and had even come to like it. "Ember. Ember Phoenix. I'm not tied ta any territory in particular...just a nomad living off the lands. Never met a member of Inferni who was so friendly. Most of 'em that I remember'd fight ya tooth and nail just for lookin' their way. I thought to take a dip in the pond...think I'd still like to put my feet in, if you want to come sit over here with me. Your choice."

[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 561 :: i feel like i rambled here a bit, sorry ; ;

“AniWaya… I heard some things about that place,” she murmured, her tone still a bit nervous but becoming more friendly, taking a short pause to recall what few had told her about the southernmost pack, “But I don’t think they ever mentioned spirit guides to me… They seem pretty interesting, though.” Despite her fear for Utriu, she also found that she was curious about him as well now that she knew he was not dangerous. Sparrow decided that he must not have floated away far, but he had not yet reappeared. Surprising, she felt a little disappointment mixed with her relief. But, she forced herself not to think long on the ethereal being, not wanting to ignore the woman. “Were you born near the ocean?” she asked, slightly curious of the answer. Boring was the life that was raised in the woods, she imagined, though she enjoyed the simplicity, and wondered if her company had a more exciting upbringing.

Now that she had nothing else to distract her, she realized exactly how much taller the dark wolf was compared to her small self. Sparrow felt a little intimidated, but did not allow the feeling to stay long, since she was nice, and had to repeat to herself that because someone was bigger than her, they would not hurt her. She also noticed that she had long, straight hair, much unlike Sparrow’s short, scraggly cut. She felt a pang of envy towards its style, seeing that it complimented her willowy built. But, negative feelings never lingered long in the female, evaporating like mist in the sunrise. Instead, she found things that she could comment about, like the woman’s green eyes—it was unusual for her to see that color, and found that anything exotic about a canine’s appearance was something to talk about. As she spoke of her own name, she found it interesting—Ember Phoenix. She knew little of legends, but she at least heard of the fire bird that die in its own pyre and reform from its ashes. Married with a word such as ember, Sparrow felt slightly jealous of the meanings the name could have meant. She simply Sparrow—but, she guessed she enjoyed the title, since it was given by her mother, and found now reason to change it to something unique, since she did not saw herself as something such.

She smiled a bit at her comment about Inferni, but could not help but fondly agree, “Yes, some of us are not pleasurable to wolves… We’ve went through some tough times recently as well, so it would be worse than usual. But, being half-wolf myself… It makes no sense to hate someone by their birth.” Inferni should have learned that from the Boreas—they claimed for their existence supposedly damned because of their blood. But, some things never changed.

“I… I guess I’ll join you,” she said tentatively, taking up on Ember’s offer. It was not as if she would dislike spending time with the woman, it was just the idea of the water. She imagined the water gulping her, sucking her in, whatever—the unrealistic events went on in her head. Liquid was not her companion when it came to things besides drinking it. But, she did not want to leave, not wanting to offend the Phoenix woman, as well as finding her company enjoyable.

<style>
.sparrowaly-thunder {font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 0px; padding:0px 40px 0px 40px; background-image:url(); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top center;}
.sparrowaly-thunder p.ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; text-align:justify; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
I'm so sorry for the long wait Sad Went out of state and now I've just started my internship, which really messed with my muse. <33 I took a bit of time and drew Ember a new avatar a few nights ago, though, to try and help Smile

She was patient with the whale, to a point. It wasn't normal for a canine to be seen with a giant floating blob of silver, and he knew it as well from canines' reactions in the past. Yet he kept trying to embarrass her. It wasn't as bad as it could be, but bad enough. Ember had a hard enough time trying to interact with others without Utriu trying to scare them off for a laugh. She saw the spirit-guide out of the corner of her eye and gave him a small glare, an action that caused the giant to sink back down below the pond's surface.

"I'm not sure how much of their culture they'd share with others, so that makes sense. I only know because of my past membership there. For now I'm just a wanderer, going wherever I please." She knew enough of Inferni...and doubted that they'd changed over the year that she had been away. This member was probably an exception to the rule; she actually seemed nice, if not a bit shy by Ember's perceptions.

There was something that could be said of a canine's size...Ember was large, but that did not mean that she was powerful. She hadn't always been this big and hadn't been as well trained as she was, now. Her size hadn't stopped her from acting as a kicked dog might when Haku had taken what he'd wanted from her. It also hadn't helped her against Firefly, who had snapped her arm in half when both of them had been younger. It was all about how one presented themselves to the world. And training. Lots and lots of training.

She wouldn't have guessed that Sparrow was half wolf, but it was hard to tell just based on someone's body size. The other canine accepted her request and the warrior moved aside, walking a few paces to the edge of the water and plopping ungracefully down on the dried mud of the shore. She pulled her weapons belt over to her for a moment to rummage through one of the leather pockets on it. Aha! Fishing line. In a few moments she had a hook tied onto the end, and her claws were able to locate a worm in the soil before long. "We'll probably scare any fish away with our feet..but thought I'd try, anyway." She said. "Do you have any news? It's been a while since I've been 'round these parts"

[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 482 :: its okay, ma lav <3 and i love your avatar! pouty em is pouty c:< and, sorry for the poopy post. ; ; em should totally push coax Sparrow into the water after fishing~

Sparrow watched as Ember glared at Utriu, but glanced back at the ground when she turned her gaze back to her direction. She nodded when she spoke of pack secrecy, and could understand such with the coyotes’ urge to keep the internal business from outsider’s ears. While it did not seem required, she had become a bit of a loyalist since her acceptance into the clan of fire, and could see why it would take a bit of prying to share even the simplest of information. But, what she knew was of no importance, and was probably worrying over nothing, though she found it good that she had watched her words whenever talking to loners and other packs. “Do you think Utriu misses AniWaya?” she asked suddenly, the thought occurring and striking her as odd. It may have been childish to ask such things, but she was curious.

The woman sometimes wished she was bigger—or, for a better word, stronger than what she was; size just representing what she wished she could be. If she was not the small thing she was, maybe she could have helped Vesper hunt for their family. Maybe she could have stopped her father from killing mother, stopped him from taking her herself. Size could only go far, and it was probably just her inner thinking that was weak; if she had been… There were so many “if”s and “maybe”s in her mind that she was more set in the past and her regrets than the present more often than not. Everything bad that happened to her would not have happened if she was just better than she was. But, nothing would change no matter how many outcomes she could imagine, and could only sigh about it.

The coywolf followed the dark woman to the water, and settled more carefully than she had. Instead of putting her feet in the water, her paws remained in the mud in an obvious action to avoid contact with the liquid, close to her being as she comfortably wrapped her arms around her legs. She watched silently as she drew out a line, and looked at it curiously. When she mentioned the fish, she inspected the thread with more focus. “How is that supposed to catch anything?” she asked, not understanding the concept of fishing, since she never saw it performed before.

“I can’t tell you much really—I haven’t been around these…parts long myself. But, all I know is that a few packs dissolved, a few were formed. Other than that, I don’t think anything happened that affected a lot of people.” She lacked a terrible lot of information, but again she did not know, since she did not ask. She became silent as she could not think anything more to say, and stared at the water, seemingly absentminded, hoping that the woman did not find her quietness awkward.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]
<333 I agree :33 and your post was just fine!

She wasn't the best conversationalist out there, that was for sure. She hadn't been forced to be around other canine for quite a while and had found relief in the silence that normally surrounded her. She could talk to animals just fine, and Utriu couldn't get her to shut up sometimes...but a real, live canine? It didn't come as easily, then. It was like some invisible hand had put its fingers into her brain and twisted everything; words often came out wrong, now, or her sentences were sometimes stammered or said too softly for anyone to hear.

The question about her companion brought her out of her reverie, and she looked over at Sparrow as she replied. "Dunno. I always thought if he didn't like it he wouldn't have come with. I was surprised that he wanted to, after all I put him through. He tries to advise me on things, and I sometimes don't take too kindly to it" In fact, back then she'd done the opposite of what the guide had been trying to convince her of. She'd cut off all her hair, ripped her piercings from her skin, and had thrown two live pups into a fire and abandoned them. She had one piercing left, a stud in her ear, but that was all she'd wear any more.

She stayed quiet for a few moments after Sparrow's next question and her bit of news, watching the line. It was beginning to tremble a bit, as if it was being bumped by something...then, suddenly, it zipped forward in the water. She didn't want to snap the line and twined it around a small piece of wood that she'd brought as well. "Fishing? I guess...I mean, you don't shift and try to do things the way that worked for the humans? I was once fascinated by them....still am, a bit. I got this idea from a picture that I saw of two humans doing it together...a boy and a girl." At least, she thought those were the right genders for them. One'd had long hair, the other short.

"You want to give it a shot, miss...Sparrow? I think I've got one on the line, if you want to keep twining the line around this bit of wood. See it tugging, there? The fish has latched onto the hook, and we can bring it up out of the water, now." She said, trying to explain it in a way that would be easier to understand. She wondered if the smaller girl would be able to handle a big fish like this one, but shrugged off the thought.

[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 445 :: <3

Sparrow listened to her words, and blinked at the last few she said. “He can talk?” she asked in amazement, peering back into the water as if she could catch a glance of him. She thought that only things that were able to talk to canines were the ravens in Inferni, and to discover that there was more to it, she remembered how little she knew about everything in the world despite all that she had learned in life. She wanted to ask more about the spirit guides, about Utriu himself, and AniWaya, but decided not to press Ember about her past pack, unsure if the woman wanted to delve further into the subject.

Still wondering about how the line was going to get a fish, she watched the thin thread along with the fisher. When it began to move, Sparrow thought it must’ve been just the water moving it, but she was soon proved wrong. As more of it lunged into the water, she realized that something had gotten a hold of the hook, leaning in with a rather surprised look on her face to get a better look at the line. But, she settled back down when Ember spoke again, and could not help but feel a bit meek. “No, I guess I don’t… The humans were interesting, but much of what they did doesn’t seem sensible.” Sparrow guessed because of her upbringing she understood less of what most Luperci knew, and she sometimes felt inferior in knowledge when the simplest of humane mechanics were unknown to her. That was why she did not tell anyone how she was not born with the virus, knowing that they’ll somehow think less of her in some way.

The woman gave a look as if she was silently asking “Me?” when the dark woman asked if she wanted to try. She doubted herself, not sure if she had enough strength to reel in a fish of any size. But, she did not verbally deny her offer, and she took grasp of the wood as it was handed to her and clutched it with firm hands. “Okay,” Sparrow squeaked at Ember’s words, and began to wrap the line around the wood, pulling it in until it was taut. Then came the hard part of actually dragging the fish out from its spot, which the mottled woman preformed with some difficulty as she continued to twine the line. But, she kept a stiff upper lip, and was surprised when the fish started to flop around on the surface, seeing a bit of its fins and fleshy scales that she almost dropped the wood, but held onto it nonetheless.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

Even as a pup she'd had an aptitude for being in and around the water. She'd been a very inquisitive and adventurous child who had a big appetite for seeing the world and all that it had to offer her. As she had grown, the beds of rivers and shores of lakes and oceans had called to her as places of solace and peace, areas in which she could sit and reflect upon events and make important decisions. She'd been very nomadic in her first couple of years, having moved from place to place. But her meditation rituals had never ceased and neither had her love of all things aquatic.

Though she was spiritual the female was lacking in any religious education. She had to believe in some kind of afterlife due to her companion, who was trapped between this and the realm of the dead, but had not delved very far into that pool of thought. She clenched her fists for a moment as she watched Sparrow work with the fishing line. The only jewelry that she wore was a vial of ocean water around her neck, in which a few seashells and grains of sand floated back and forth. She moved one hand toward her neck, holding it in her hand and wishing the hybrid luck with the task at hand.

Things seemed to be working. The fish swam closer and closer to the surface as it tired, unable to yank the line back down to the bottom of the pond. Ember was surprised by the size of the thing when it finally surfaced, blinking for a few moments before opening her muzzle to give a shout. "Good job! Keep twining it around that wood, as much and as often as you can" She said excitedly. This fish, then another one or two and they'd be in business! She moved behind Sparrow to offer her support so that she wouldn't get pulled into the water by the fish as it grew nearer and nearer. Her clawed hands extended, trying to find a grip on the smaller girl's waist.

[/html]
[html]

(406) OOC: Sparrow went eep. xD

Sparrow had a strong distaste for water despite its calming properties and necessity for life. Back in the winter, only a couple of moons ago, she had a bad experience with it that had a lasting impression on her. She had been trying to cross a small stream, and had underestimated its current. While she did get dragged under, she wasn't at the risk of death, but the event still scarred her and since then, she rarely touched any rivers or lakes besides to drink. Just thinking about it made her cringe, remembering the icy water choking her clearly as if she was under it then.

But, the small woman pushed those memories out of mind as she reeled in the fish, which was failing. It was all she could do not to let go of the stick, and while keeping herself away from the water, she was still attempting to pull it it. So engross in the tug of war, she did not take notice of Ember, better yet forgetting she was there for a moment, until she put hee hands on her.

Her first thought was that she was going to push her into the lake, to let the water claim her again. She tensed, eyes widening, as if keeping still would cement her to her stop and keep the bigger wolf from tossing her into the water. But, after a half second of reasoning, she realized that she was only helping. Sparrow felt a little bad that she had thought the worse, yet she still felt highly uncomfortable in her grip. She did nothing, though, and remained tensed as she worked the fish into the swallow waters.

After a couple of moments, the thing came to the conclusion that it was done for as it ran out of water to splash around it, thought it kept wiggling around in the faintest hopes of escaping, it seemed. Unsure what to do with it, she handed the twined stick behind her for Ember to have after the fish was flopping a meter away. The coywolf was now becoming unnerved by her touch, and had to kept herself from squirming away; one wrong step, and she would go falling into the lake, even if it was only a few inches deep.

"That was... fun," she murmured, voice surprising leveled despite the turmoil inside of her, her words offered to get her mind off of Ember's touch.

[/html]
[html]

There'd been a time when she had seen a canine nearly get pulled into the ocean because they had caught something that was too big for them to handle. It was surprising to her what a hard pull fish could give based on their size. She could move very gracefully through the water herself, but fish swam in it even more beautifully and easily because it was their natural environment. It meant that even a medium sized fish could pull a luperci off-balance or make them tumble to their deaths if they weren't careful. Safety was on her mind right now. She didn't want Sparrow's first experience fishing with her to be a bad one or for her to become upset if she were to fall in.

She moved to take the stick from Sparrow once the fish had been brought up successfully. She realized then that her hold on the other might have been too tight, as well as the fact that it'd been done without permission. She didn't enjoy others touching her without asking her, and now she'd gone and done it to someone else. "Sorry. I hope I didn't hurt you or anything. You're small...I thought the fish might pull you off your feet. Seen it happen." She tried to explain, her alto voice low and streaked with regret.

Ember reeled the line all the way in, picking the fish up with one hand and removing the hook quickly and easily. "Are you at all hungry? If I haven't scared you away too much with that...Sorry again."She put the fish down and began to gather a few rocks, placing them in a round circle. The beginning of a fire pit. She put a worm back on the hook and tossed the line back into the pond, twining the line around a tree where she could leave it for a few minutes at a time. "I wouldn't mind some cooked fish, if you're interested. I'd like to make a fire and do some swimming, then dry off and eat." She wanted to gather firewood but another fish was already pulling on the line. She only wanted one for now, and impaled the fish on a stick to place over the fire after getting it out of the pond.

[/html]
[html]

(306)

"Nope. No, I'm quite fine," she murmured quickly as she finally released her, "You just surprised me, and it's okay. I-I mean, I'm okay, and--just don't do that again." Sparrow automatically regretted her words, thinking that they may have been sharp for the woman. She did not want it to imply the woman had done something wrong on purpose, and added hastily,"But, thank you. I might have been dragged in if it wasn't for you... Thanks again." It was hardly an apology, but it was the best she could do in hee nervous state of being.

She still heard the shame in her tone, and she cursed herself for being so sensitive. She was only helping, and she should not have overreacted. "I'm starving," she insisted with a forced smile, though it was not hard to perform. "Well, I don't mean that it's not like I haven't ate in a while, it's just... yes, I'm hungry." Again, she spited that she kept mixing up her words, and hoped that the dark beauty was not losing her patience with her babbling. But, maybe she did not mind too much, or at listen understood her, since she was inviting her for a meal.

She had been up for everything the woman listed except for one thing that made her frown again. "You can go ahead and swim... I'll watch the fish to make sure it won't burn. You don't want to have a meal we worked hard to catch for to be ash, do you?" It was an excuse, but a good one, she thought, even though she did not know how to cook fish. But, Ember did not know that, so the mottled coywolf thought her excuse as flawless. Now it was only the matter of convincing the other to let her stay by the fire.

[/html]