No Place Like Home
[html]

Place: He has no idea, but it's near Grand Lake. Date: May 13th. 9:00am Rurik is in his Optime form. /594words

It had been six months since Rurik had stepped foot into 'Souls. Six long, painful, disappointing months. He had left 'Souls after he heard a rumor that his father was in a region further north, so naturally he went to investigate. He didn't find his father, though he searched high and low for him. As if that wasn't enough, during his travels he had been assaulted by numerous hostile canines, luperci or otherwise, and at one point was captured by a pack and the tortured for the Alpha's amusement. The only good thing that came from his journey was the bronze bracelet around his wrist that another prisoner had given him shortly before her execution. Later that same night Rurik broke free and slaughtered the Alpha and Alphess as well as the executioner and torture-master. Soon after he ran, heading back in the general direction he thought 'Souls had been.

He scanned the area around him, his one red, scared eye glinting faintly from under his hood in the mid-morning sunlight that filtered threw the trees, gripping his staff tighter as he did. He hadn't eaten in at least two days, his stomach could vouch for that, and he needed food. He had picked up the scent of a rabbit somewhere in the brush near him. A rustle to his front left caught his attention, making him stand dead-still and stare at the spot. It rustled again, but this time he faintly saw the fur of a rabbit. Slowly, he reached down to his leg, grasping his dagger and slowly pulling it from it's sheath. Just as it cleared the sheath the rabbit turned and looked right at him. Rurik stopped moving, he didn't even breath. The rabbit hopped out of the brush and sniffed the air. There wasn't a breeze so he doubted that the small animal would pick up on his scent. His luck held, the rabbit hopped again and started sniffing around with it's back to Rurik. With a small sigh, Rurik lifted the knife over his head and prepaired to throw it. That is where his luck broke. Directly above him was a spider's web, home to a rather large spider. When he lifted his hand he stuck it right into the spider's home, destroying most of it and irritating the spider. It crawled over it's remaining webbing and landed directly on Rurik's hand. At first he was only a little surprised, then he looked up and saw what had touched him. His face went pale and he let out a shriek that could have woken up the dead and instantly started flailing and swinging his arms, trying to rid himself of the 8-legged demon spawn. Needles to say the rabbit heard him, along with most of the population of 'Souls, and hopped it's furry but away before it could become Rurik's breakfast.

Now twice as hungry as before, thanks to the spider, Rurik continues his slow trudge threw the woods, not knowing where exactly he was. Eventually he came to the edge of a rather large lake. "I guess this is about as good a place as any to take a rest." He muttered to himself. He found a tree that was decently close to the lake and sat down, taking off his pack and katana and setting them beside him. He sat there for a little while, just listening to the sounds of the lake and surrounding forest. Soon, he was asleep, but still very much aware of his surrounding should anyone get close enough to be heard.

<style>
.roses .ooc {font-style:italic; color:#FFFFFF; text-indent:10px; font-size:12px;}
.roses p {color:#C0DCC0; text-indent:8px; padding:0px 0px 0px 0px;}
.roses b {font-weight:bold; color:#C03D3D; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #FFFFFF;}
.roses i {color:#99B4D1;}
.roses {background-image:url(http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz15 ... /roses.png); background-color:#000000; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; width:600px; border:3px solid #FFFFFF; font-family:courier, serif; padding:300px 15px 10px 15px; margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... ecrets.png); background-color:#C77133; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right:0px; padding-top: 400px; border-radius:15px; -moz-border-radius:15px; -webkit-border-radius:15px; border-bottom-left-radius:15px; border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px;">

ooc:

Was it safe to be by the water? She could not readily find a reason why it was not, but with each step she took toward it, she was made to recount the events of the night before. Sweet as they were, touched by passion and lavished in a love thought gone, she recalled them and felt herself grow warm with each memory of a touch and with each step taken toward the scene. She should have smiled at the memory that happened only hours before, but she felt apprehensive instead, worried that what had become of them was just a dream she would disturb by being here. But it could not have been a dream. It felt too real… and she had felt so very alive…

Her thoughts soon drifted away as her worn paws touched the water’s edge, and then the whole of her autumn form slipped soundlessly into the cold embrace. Like slipping back into a cool sleep, she delved deeper in until she was submerged and only the top of an auburn head could be seen coupled with twin stout ears twitching with the sounds of both water and nature. She kept her nose beneath the surface, holding onto her gathered breath til her lungs burned for air again and she was made to lift her muzzle skyward. Greedily she drank in precious air as she continued to wade. The sense of this activity was lost on her, but was something she enjoyed none the less. It was an altered state of being, something to pull her away from the known physical to something other. And she drifted in it for a time, soothed by the caress of the lapping ripples…

Until a horrendous noise jerked her to attention.

It was a sound unlike anything she’d ever heard, and in truth it sent a chill down her spine. In the process of pulling herself from the waters depths, she could see a young body making its way to the edge. Lean with hunger and travel, what maternal instinct she had surfaced with time compelled her to see to the lone creature. She called out at first, a short howl to let him know she was near then came to the banks of the lake and lumbered over, heavily weighed down by her dip. “Wanderer… are you alright?”

391 words.

[/html]
[html]

Shes in Optime, yes? and sorry for taking so long. I probably should have warned you when you asked me to thread: I might be a bit slow in my replies due to personal reasons. I'll try to reply as quickly as I can though./176 words - short post is short

Rurik had just gotten to sleep when he heard the short howl. His hand instantly went to his dagger and pulled it from it's sheath. His eyes were wide open and alert for the source of the howl, even though it didn't sound threatening, he could never be too sure. After a few seconds of nervous glancing he saw the one responsible for waking him. He didn't see any weapons at first glance, and she didn't appear threatening, but in his tired and hungry state a pup could probably take him with little trouble. When she asked if he was alright he lowered his dagger a little, but didn't put it away just yet. "Da. Yes, I'm alright, just tired and hungry from days of travel." He said, his russian accent showing a bit more than usual at first, then easing out again. He noticed that she was wet,probably from swimming. "I will leave if you want me to, I didn't realize someone else was here." He said, rising slowly to be on his way.

<style>
.roses .ooc {font-style:italic; color:#FFFFFF; text-indent:10px; font-size:12px;}
.roses p {color:#C0DCC0; text-indent:8px; padding:0px 0px 0px 0px;}
.roses b {font-weight:bold; color:#C03D3D; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #FFFFFF;}
.roses i {color:#99B4D1;}
.roses {background-image:url(http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz15 ... /roses.png); background-color:#000000; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; width:600px; border:3px solid #FFFFFF; font-family:courier, serif; padding:300px 15px 10px 15px; margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... forget.png); background-color:#090905; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right:0px; padding-top: 350px; border-radius:15px; -moz-border-radius:15px; -webkit-border-radius:15px; border-bottom-left-radius:15px; border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px;">

ooc: She is in Secui form Smile

What had given the male such a fright she could hardly imagine, yet her thoughts would never have led her to the conclusion it was nothing more than a spider. But the sound he conjured had her quite worried even when he appeared to be alright. Her drenched bangs parted just enough for her eyes to spy the dagger in hand held at a protective height should her intentions be anything other than kind. Before such a danger, she stood calmly even in her sopped form with brows knotted with concern and tail swaying mildly.

Contrary to his claim, he did not look well at all. The tell-tale signs of hunger were apparent by the subtle thinning of what should have been a hardy body. Even his voice, though heavily accented held the weariness of travel with little energy to spare. As he began to rise under the misunderstanding, she placed a heavy paw forward and whined her assurance that he was not in the wrong. “No no, my friend,” whimpering softly, she lowered her head. “There is no reason for you to leave at all. If you are tired, then please… rest. Regain your strength. Perhaps a bit of food would do well for you? An exchange for me interrupting your rest.”

000 words.

[/html]
[html]

OOC Here!/253 words

Rurik cast a glance at the female when he heard her whine. That hadn't been exactly the response he had been expecting. Though he did need the rest, he didn't exactly feel comfortable sleeping with a stranger around. When she offered him food in exchange for bothering him, he thought for a moment. He would have liked to take her up on her offer, but he hadn't exactly had much luck with relying on a strangers generosity in the past. "Thank you but no. I think I'll-" His sentence was cut short by a fierce growl from his stomach at the mention of a meal, one that could almost be called a snarl. He looked sheepishly from his starved belly to the soaked female who had offered him his first food in days. "On second thought, some food sounds rather nice." He said, sheathing his dagger.

Now that he was actually paying a bit of attention, rather than acting on instinct, he noticed that the female wasn't acting nearly as threatening as his tired mind had made it seem. On the contrary, she seemed almost as wary of him as he was of her, which he supposed was to be expected given how he had greeted her. He bent and collected his pack, staff, and katana, then turned and faced her. "Lead on miss." He gave her a small smile and made a small motion with his staff, saying that he would follow her.

<style>
.rurikk .ooc {font-style:italic; color:#FFFFFF; text-indent:7px; font-size:10px;}
.rurikk p {padding:10px; color:#FFFFFF; text-indent: 10px; font-size:11px;}
.rurikk b {color:#3399FF; font-size: 12px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.1em #42f0a0;}
.rurikk i {color:#6D6D6D; font-size:11px;}
.rurikk {background-image:url(http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz15 ... s/moon.png); background-color:#000000; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; width: 400px; padding: 200px 0px 10px 0px; margin:0px auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... forget.png); background-color:#090905; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right:0px; padding-top: 350px; border-radius:15px; -moz-border-radius:15px; -webkit-border-radius:15px; border-bottom-left-radius:15px; border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px;">

ooc:

Prior tensions were abated rather quickly which made the woman more inclined to assist this lone wanderer. As he collected his travelling possessions, she took another moment to pan her surrounds to be certain that it was only the two of them before she lead the way to food. Provided the pups hadn’t had their way with the caches, she was certain there would be plenty to spare a needy stomach.

When ready, she smiled and tipped her crown acceptingly. “This way.” With a heavy step, she led the way toward the Evan’ule Reserve, dancing through the eastern-most part of the Valley just a little ways between the Lake and the mountain. The scent of meat could hardly be called accountable with the overbearing scent of the Family covering it. Had it not been for the keen sense of the area’s mapping, one would never have found the appropriate keeps without searching each and every one of the raised mounds in the hopes for success. With sure steps she proceeded toward a smaller reserve, more open-maw hole then den to retrieve a lengthy piece of elk muscle. Sun-dried and unseasoned, but when brought out into the open air, the scent was more apparent and appetizing still. Her own mouth began to salivate as she brought the treat to the young traveler. Smiling, she placed the meal at his paws.

“For you.”

000 words.

[/html]
[html]

yay new table!/206 words

Rurik nodded once and followed after the female as she led the way to where ever the food was. He had a little trouble keeping up with her over the unfamiliar terrain, but he managed. When they got to where they were going, the first thing he noticed was the scent of many other wolves. He didn't exactly like the idea of taking food from a group, but his stomach didn't let him complain too much, even to himself. When she pulled the meat from the hole, it's scent instantly made Rurik's stomach growl and his mouth salivate. He waited until she brought it to him and said that it was for him to toss down his staff, sit down, and begin to devour the meat.

After a few large mouthfuls, most of which he didn't chew more than once or twice, he slowed down enough to speak between bites. "Spasibo, thank you. He said, using the Russian word for thank you followed by it's translation. He took a few more bites before speaking again. "I'm afraid I'm eating your food and I don't even know your name. I'm Rurik Ivanov." He said, being as polite as he could with half a mouth full of food.

<style>
.stars .ooc {font-style:italic; color:#FFFFFF; font-size:11px;}
.stars p {color:#B9D1EA;}
.stars b {color:#78DEEE; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 1em #FFFFFF;}
.stars i {color:#C0C0C0;}
.stars {background-image:url(http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz15 ... lights.png); background-color:#081921; background-poition:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; width:390px; padding:301px 0px 0px 10px; border:1px solid #081921; border-radius:3%; margin: 0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

ooc:

Though the cost was a little more of the meat reserved for the pack, the Nomad was glad to help a fellow traveler in need. It was not an instinctual behavior of her kind, this she well knew, but was one adopted through experience and understanding. A bit of kindness tended to be a positive gateway, was what her optimistic mind often recited…though there was always the possibility that some kindness would be taken for granted. This was a consequence she was well aware and prepared for, and even with this risk she shared without hesitation. Without regret. And smiled when a simple selfless act brought ease to another.

Comfortably, she seated herself by the mouth of the small den as her guest continued eating. Hardly a mouthful was given more than a couple chews before it was swallowed, leading her to believe he had gone without for a great deal of time. Without a question to him, she dove back into the reserve and retrieved another slab of dried meat, offering it to the starved male as well. His behavior between bites surfaced a giggle from her quiet form as she shared in the simple delight in watching him feast. “It is quite alright,” she replied in understanding to his circumstance. “I am X’yrin, an Exultare to the distant Nomads and named Issor of my Family. I reside on these lands with them on the mountain. But you may call me X’y if you’d like.” Humbly, she dipped her head in proper greeting now with names shared. “It is a pleasure to meet and assist you Rurik Ivanov.”

000 words.

[/html]
[html]

Ooc Here/###

With barely half of the meat remaining, Rurik was surprised when she left and returned with another. A strange, slightly paranoid, thought crossed his mind then. What if she was trying to fatten him up so she and her kin could eat him later? He dismissed it within seconds of it's appearance. It would take much more than two pieces of meat to get him large enough to be anything other than a light snack. Besides, in his opinion, she seemed much too nice to even consider something like that."Now shut up and eat Rurik, you're being more paranoid than usual. Pretty soon you'll start thinking that the birds are out to get you too..." He told himself firmly.

He swallowed his food before speaking this time, his pace slowly as well now that hunger wasn't threatening to claw his belly to shreds.It is very nice to meet you X'y. He paused for a moment in his eating and looked up at her, smiling gently, though his scared red eye probably took some of the gentle good-naturedness out of it. "And thank you again, very much, for the food. It's been days since my last meal." He let out a soft huff as he thought back to earlier when he nearly had food for himself. "I almost caught something to eat earlier...but when I went to kill it my hand snagged a spider web that had the biggest, ugliest spider I'd ever seen in my life...it scared me half to death." He shuddered at the memory of it and went back to eating. After a few more bites, he spoke again. "So..if you don't mind me asking, what is an Issor and a Exultare? You made them sound like titles or positions."

<style>
.earth .ooc {font-style:italic; color:#FFFFFF; font-size:11px;}
.earth p {color:#FFFFFF;}
.earth b {color:#384922; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 1em #38634b;}
.earth i {color:#1b4863;}
.earth {background-image:url(http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz15 ... planet.png); background-color:#000000; background-poition:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; width:390px; padding:300px 0px 0px 10px; border:1px solid #081921; border-radius:3%; box-shadow: 0px 0px 7px 2px #000; margin: 0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

ooc: Sad Short post is short.... BUT SHALL GET LONG AGAIN!

While her guest went on to eat, she took a moment to briefly survey their surroundings should another of their growing family become curious and seek out a means to occupy their time this day. She kept a comfortable eye on him though, searching for the tells of a desire to eat more should it cross his face. But rather than ask for the like, he offered his gratitude which was received with a smile then inquired the meaning to her exhibited titles.

"Ah, my apologies," feeling her titles had been thoughtlessly given, she bashfully lowered her head. "Exultare is the title given to the warriors of my people. They are a family that keep the skill and expertise of combat within themselves. Though I am not with them, I still keep the name that was given to me. Issor is my rank to my new family; Sangi'lak. It was the title given to me by my partner and fellow leader. "

000 words.

[/html]