[aw] a styrofoam deepsea landfill
[html]

(378) Anyone want to halps Vasi get settled? o:

Vasiliy is by me!

The new Venditore had already explored much of Cercatori d'Arte, though he'd been a member just under a week. There was much to see in this place -- their coastline was beautifully rugged, though the bay's fierce tides were more temperate this far out on the peninsula. More intriguing to Vasiliy was the place called Thornbury. The village had caught his attention almost immediately, and going upon the information he'd gleaned about his new pack thus far, Vasiliy figured he was welcomed to stake a claim in the little village.

So it was that he passed from one house to another, backpack slung haphazardly over one shoulder, inspecting each as he went. Any which held a lingering scent of Luperci was quickly bypassed; the granite-furred wolf had no intent of encroaching on anyone else's space. There were plenty of empty homes, and before long, the cloud-colored male found just what he was looking for. The low-slung stone house was prettily made, a little cottage nestled into a corner.

Vasi nudged at the door and found, to his delight, it opened rather easily. While the interior of the cottage was dusty and smelled rather plainly of molding items, from a quick look around, it would suit him just fine. There were only two rooms and half a room, a small closet-like apparatus that was stuffed with useless old human junk. Vasiliy kicked at it and saw nothing here was useful -- as he'd thought. Anything of use lingering here was probably snatched up quite a while ago.

The granite-furred wolf set his bag down on a butcher-block table in one corner, both hands on his hips. He would have to do quite a lot of work to get this place into shape, and there was no better time than the present. Though the inside seemed most pressing, Vasi thought he might make a better impression on his fellow members by worrying about the outside first. So it was that he stepped outside again, climbing carefully up onto the roof so he might see how it was holding up. It was wooden, unlike the rest of the stone house, and might have suffered from some severe damage over the years.

<style>
@import url('http://sleepyglow.net/rp/post.css');
</style>[/html]
[html]

WC: 411

Spring was nearing its end and soon summer would be upon them. Hotaru had shed most of her thick winter coat, but she chose to take a bath to help the rest of the fur wash off easily. The blind female had set out earlier in the morning and went to the forest oasis where the cool lake waters removed the remnants of her winter coat. She had also taken one of her knives with her to help remove some her her long hair. Hotaru preferred to keep her hair short, as it was easier to maintain and didn't get in the way as often. It had grown out some into a what most would call a short hair length. Unfortunately, it was too long for Hotaru so she trimmed it down until she felt like it was manageable. Without Fawkes there to help her, the cut was a little lopsided. However, Hotaru couldn't see so she really didn't care.

Hotaru walked steadily through the forest, her thin coat dried quickly in the sun and she was soon warm and comfortable. It didn't take long for her to reach the outskirts of Thornbury. With her the aid of her walking staff, mental map, and well worn paths Hotaru was able to go just about anywhere within the pack lands with ease. She had grown accustom to the lands and often enjoyed traveling down to the beaches.

The blind female reached her home and deposited a few mice she had caught for the birds to eat. However, she felt restless. The day was wonderful and she wanted to take a walk. With the help of Fawkes and Kelia, Hotaru made a few adjustments to her hair and was soon out the door again. Neither Fawkes nor Kelia joined her, both preferring to eat as opposed to taking a walk. The two predators had grown close and Kelia practically worshiped the red-tailed hawk. Although it was a little lonely, Hotaru was simply glad that Fawkes no longer complained about the chick.

The grey wolf moved slowly through Thornbury, but an unfamiliar scent caught her attention. She had heard that there was another new member, but she had yet to actually meet the wolf. Hotaru lifted her nose to the sky and took several sniffs before following the scent to its origin. Hotaru finally stopped in the far corner of Thornbury and her ears swiveled as she searched for any sign of the newcomer.

Hotaru

<style>
.huntaru .ft-ooc {font-style:italic;}
.huntaru-header {font-size:25px; text-align:right; padding:10px 20px; font-family:"monotype corsiva", sans-serif; color:#C70303; text-shadow:#4C2D11 0px 0px 5px;}
.huntaru p {padding:3px 20px 3px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.huntaru b {color:#C70303; letter-spacing:-.2px;}
.huntaru {background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc3 ... lice-1.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:260px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#BE6404; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:400px; text-align:left; }
.huntaru-border {width:402px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0px auto; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Vasiliy is by me!

Vasi was not an exceptionally adept climber, but neither was he fearful of heights. So it was that he scuttled around on the roof, carefully at first, and with more surety once he'd ascertained the whole thing wasn't going to collapse beneath his feet. Vasi was not a small wolf, after all -- his tundra-life ancestors were amongst the largest gray subspecies, but of course, Vasi had no way of knowing this. Though he tended to be more tall than most of the European wolves he'd encountered on hist journey from Sobirat'sya, it still had yet to sink in.

He was moving toward the front of the little cottage when the sight of another canine caught his eyes. She was gray in coloration, with a paler underside. The woman was not without color, however, for a brownish splash upon her muzzle and dusting her ears was apparent to the Russian. He shaded his eyes against the sun and squinted at her. There was something off about the way she was moving, and it was not until Vasi had leaped down from the roof and started over toward her that he realized she was blind.

Hallo, he started, no less enthusiastic for this realization. I am Vasiliy Russo, very new here. I take this house? Is this okay? If already someone lives here, I am so sorry, he said, but punctuated the statement with a laugh and grin (however invisible this latter was to his new packmate). At least their roof got looked over, he declared, smiling still.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

WC: 260

Red tipped ears flicked to the side as she listened for any evidence of another canine. She heard movement above her, but didn't make the connection. Hotaru could smell him, but she didn't believe she could hear him. The blind female wondered if she had perhaps missed the male. She was contemplating leaving when a large thump sounded. Her head quickly flicked to face the origin of the sound and her ears stood alert. Her tail and heckles raised slightly out of surprise and her unseeing eyes twitched in their sockets.

A kind, but heavily accented voice, drifted towards her and the muddled scent of a former loner filled her nostrils. Hotaru listened carefully to his simple words. Politely, she inclined her head and introduced herself in slow speech. "I am Hotaru the Tessitore di Sogno of Cercatori. To my knowledge, the house is unoccupied and you are free to take it." The timber wolf found herself smiling at Vasiliy's joke and hearty laughter. If that was his constant demeanor he would make a good addition to the pack. It wasn't that long ago that the pack had fallen on hard times, so a happy soul was just what d'Arte needed to lift the final remains of doubt and misery.

"Do you require any assistance moving into your new home?" It was a polite, but genuine offer to help. Hotaru wasn't entirely sure what she could do to help the male, but she wasn't completely useless. She could help move furniture or clean. Being blind didn't mean she was helpless.

Hotaru

<style>
.huntaru-header {font-size:25px; text-align:right; padding:10px 20px; font-family:"monotype corsiva", sans-serif; color:#C70303; text-shadow:#4C2D11 0px 0px 5px;}
.huntaru {background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc3 ... lice-1.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:260px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#BE6404; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:400px; text-align:left; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(360)

Vasiliy is by me!

Vasi had never known a truly blind canine before, but his grandmother's eyesight had been going when he'd departed from Sobirat'sya. Zinoviya, his namesake, was a strong woman, but even she could not fight the ravages of age forever. Her fur had become pale and almost wispy, and her once ample body had shrunken. It was difficult to watch, and perhaps part of the reason he'd strode so valiantly away from his homeland. The same was happening -- or happened, really -- to his father, and would happen to his mother, and everyone else he knew. Better not to forge any truly deep connections, then.

Ah, thank you, he said, relieving to find his planned residence was not already occupied. His gray tail wavered behind him, and he leaned forward a little, taking a better look at her eyes. He was not completely bold and obvious, but neither was he particularly stealthy with his endeavor, either. He was simply curious, and quickly realized there was no difference between Hotaru's eyes and any other eyes. There was no cloudiness, no murkiness -- the stare was emptier, of course, for she had no basis for an expression of the gaze. On the contrary, they were quite pretty, and he wondered silently just what had befallen her -- whether bad luck or another Luperci -- to have caused such an ailment.

It is good to meet you. Are all in the pack so nice? he wondered aloud. I would love any help I can get, my friend, he said, smiling. The roof is in good condition, but the interior -- ahh, not so much. Small mess, though, he said, turning back toward the house. Come with me, Hotaru, and we shall clean together, and I will return many kindnesses to you later, the Russian promised, wagging his tail. He was happy to have already found someone to talk to, and something about Hotaru told him her experiences and perspective would be vastly different from most else he was used to -- she had experienced the world in a starkly different manner than most Luperci, after all. The adventurer was more than happy at this prospect.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

WC: 440

Relief swelled in Vasiliy's voice as he thanked Hotaru for the information she had provided him. The grey wolf bowed her head and returned his gratitude with a polite, "You welcome." She remembered her own search for a house, and what a disaster that had been. Juliet had been a part of the search and the young female had been less than helpful. Despite the drawbacks of her search party; thanks to Shawchert, Hotaru was able to pick a decent home that had been recently fixed. When the giant male was still part of the pack, he had spent a lot of time fixing up the houses in Thronbury. Unfortunately, since his departure there had been little to no work done on the abandoned houses.

Red ears twitched as the sensitive appendages picked up on the soft sound of moving fabric. Ever since here eyes had stopped working, Hotaru's other senses had become increasingly keen. With all of the training she had done, her remaining senses had become fine-tuned and could pick up on things that most canines missed. However, it didn't mean that she could always interpret the different sounds and was easily overwhelmed. The blind female had to take a moment while she pondered what could have caused the shift in the other wolf's position.

Hotaru chuckled silently to herself when Vasiliy asked if the entire pack was nice. "Although I can't vouch for the entire pack, I have in my experience that the members of d'Arte are incredibly kind and helpful." The grey wolf couldn't help but remember her first encounter with the pack. She had not only trespassed on the pack lands, but had been as helpless as newborn pup. If Skye or Shawchert had been any less kind, she would have died. Hotaru, quite literally, owed the Artists her life. "A small mess is to be expected. My house was in a similar condition when I first moved in."

Vasiliy led the way into his new home and Hotaru was quick to follow him. She used her staff to navigate around the house, running it along the floor and tapping the staff against the walls. Hotaru's free hand explored the rest of the house. Her first goal was to get used to the dimensions of the house and make a mental map of the area. The whole house smelled of dust and mold. As the blind female moved through the house, the female took the time to open any windows she could locate, although she was sure that she had missed some. Hotaru traveled briefly through the three rooms and before she returned to Vasiliy's side. "Where would you like to begin?"

Hotaru

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(--)

Vasiliy is by me!

Vasi had met three members of the pack thus far -- Aylu, whom he'd encountered outside of the d'Arte lands; Skye, who'd accepted him to the pack; and now this Hotaru, too, who also seemed friendly and helpful. The Russian thought he'd very much like this place -- the leader was no slave-driver and the members understood the value of community. Zinoviya had often spoken to him of the olden days of the Russo family, before the blood feuding and in-fighting had begun. These were the times before his father and grandfather both, strong men in their youth, had befallen hard times and crumpled beneath the weight of the family. Perhaps Malenkij would rescue them, but Vasiliy did not think so -- as with his grandmother, he thought the man too meek.

Mine community in Russia, they forgot meaning of words "family" and "together." Funny, because place is called Sobirat'sya -- this means together, he explained, opening the door and watching with interest as Hotaru navigated with the stick she carried. The tapping sound was gentle as she probed and prodded her way through the house, following after her and opening the one window she'd missed. The glass was partially broken on this one, and he was glad she'd missed it. It is good to find a place that remembers these things, the Russian said, tail wagging. He considered her question with a tilt of his head, murmuring a thoughtful sound in his throat. Well -- I want to clear things out. Anything I will not use, I would like remove -- but where should I put? I do not like thought of "garbage" like humans make. Is there way things can be recycled? Used by others, maybe?

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

WC: ~400

As the blind female navigated through the house, her male companion struck up a small conversation. He spoke of his old pack and their lack of community despite the name of his village. It was actually an interesting discussion and Hotaru nodded her head empathetically. She could understand his words for she was in a similar situation the year before. "The world can be very harsh to those who live in it. Family, to some, is not as important as perhaps it should be." Her thoughts strayed to Adrian, the brother who had caused the downfall of her pack for reasons that she couldn't understand. He was the cause of her disability and source of bitterness for her.

Even though Hotaru was still bitter towards her brother, the emotion wasn't as strong as it once was. Skye and d'Arte had brought happiness into her dark world. "Luckily, there are still many who remember that it is necessary to nurture a packs community and family. Skye, though young, is a wise and caring leader." Skye had earned Hotaru's respect and admiration for many reasons, and was one of the few canines who the grey female would willingly follow.

Vasiliy explained to the blind female his desires and goals for the house. She listened thoughtfully, taking up a version of her usual thinking pose. She brought her right hand to her lips so that they touched her maw lightly. She dipped her head in thought and her unseeing yes became partially closed. After a moment of thought she spoke. "If there are any wooden structures such as bookshelves or chests, we can take them to my house where I can work on restoring them so that either you or the pack may use them. As for other items, we could try and clean them up for trade or use by yourself or the pack. Any items that can't be fixed can be scrapped for parts."

Her mind worked furiously as she pictured what Vasiliy would need and desire. She knew that those from across the sea were used to a greater standard of living than the wolves of Nova Scotia. Many of the foreign wolves lived in a society that was closer to how humans once lived. He would need a bed at least, perhaps a chair and dresser for any clothes he might posses. If he had books or items that he cared about, Vasiliy might desire a bookshelf to place the items on. Hotaru had a chest where she stored her precious items, a table for work, and a bed to sleep on. She had a few other pieces of furniture, but rarely used them. What else would Vasiliy desire?

Hotaru

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(352) Slow slow, sorry. :C

Vasiliy is by me!

Aye, the wolf said, somber in his agreement. The world was a harsh place, and Sobirat'sya was not an easy place to live. On top of the world, the winters were long and bitterly cold -- the summers still managed to have unbearable heat and thick clouds of bugs for those brief few weeks of warmth and sunlight. And the Russo family in particular had not had an easy time of the last few years -- so many tragedies, even before Vasiliy's birth. But that -- that is why we make own places in the world, the Russian said, the tip of his tail wavering behind him.

At the blind woman's appraisal of their leader, Vasi listened intently. It surprised him to hear of Skye's youth -- he had made no assumption as to her age, but he might have pegged her for a matronly woman of three or four. She did not appear particularly well-salted, but her demeanor struck him as one assured of their position and completely comfortable in leadership. For what little he knew of her, therefore, the Russian could eagerly agree. I will like it here in Cercatori d'Arte, the wolf declared, certain of this even before he'd grown acclimated to the pack.

With the woman's speech of house and home, however, the granite-furred hybrid took a step back, crossing his muscled arms as he peered around the house. The room they stood in was the largest of the house -- a small bedroom lingered closer to the back, and several windows gave the residence a light and airy sort of feeling Vasi could appreciate. Well, he started, striding over to an end-table. It was flimsy and thin wood, and one of the legs was loose. Anything broken, I do not want now. I have very little, so I need very little. The Russian lifted the table and turned around with it, intending to carry it just out the door and set it down. You fix leg? Not shattered, just loose, the wolf said, taking a few steps toward the blind she-wolf.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC: Its okay, slow as well. Took a week to write this XD. WC: 361

Perhaps what Hotaru should have said was that Skye was inexperienced and new to being a leader. Even so, Hotaru was in many ways correct in calling Skye a youth. The luperci could live a decade easily, so three years was nothing in comparison to their lifespan. Although it was true that Skye was only three, she was not a yearling. Surprisingly, the Capitana and the Tessitore di Sogno were close to the same age. Hotaru was just a bit older, but both were wise beyond their years.

Hotaru nodded as Vasiliy pronounced his prediction of happiness. "I am glad to hear it." New members were always exciting and Hotaru always felt a sense of acomplishment whenever she helped one of them adjust to their new home. The blind female had taken a long time to adjust to d’Arte and was only happy to help others ease into their new community.

Hotaru nodded her head as Vasiliy spoke about broken objects. Many of the old human relics were broken beyond use and the luperci did not have the knowledge to fix what once was. According to the legends, humans had learned how to make miniature suns and could even fly inside giant metallic birds. Hotaru wasn't sure believed all the stories, but she was sure that the humans were more advanced then the luperci. After all, their ancient cities still stood and some of the buildings were as tall as mountains. "Any broken objects can be placed outside or can be deposited in another vacant house. I would caution against discarding them completely for someone else may find use for the parts."

Red ears flicked at the sound of shuffling and the scraping of wood. She stepped away from the door and hugged close to wall so that she would not be in Vasiliy's way. "I would have to take a closer look at the leg in order to determine if the leg is salvageable, but from your description I believe that it is possible. Place any objects that you would like me to fix by the entrance. We can move them to my house later if they can be repaired."

Hotaru

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(--) We could prolly end this here with the assumption they cleaned out the house pretty well, learned a bit about each other maybe? Big Grin

Vasiliy is by me!

The table wasn't particularly heavy, but it was awkward to carry, and the Russian was glad of Hotaru's sidestepping. He shuffled past her, flicking a dark-tipped ear toward her as he moved by so he might still hear. The dark male nodded his agreement, then remembered he was in the company of one who could not see such gestures. Embarrassed, he spoke up quickly, perhaps a little loudly. Aye! he barked. Trash, I do not do, the Russian added. People made trash, not Vasiliy Zinoviya Russo. His declaration was plain, but not particularly defensive -- he hadn't thought she was implying he made garbage, and the advice was something he might have offered to another himself.

The dark-furred Russian placed the table down and returned quickly, grinning toward Hotaru. You must be good, he started, hesitating. Your hands work like eyes when you make things, he said. Vasiliy, of course, imagined her lack of sight must be a hindrance on occasion, but what he'd seen of Hotaru thus far indicated she was not the sort to allow the disability to dictate her lifestyle, either.

<style>
</style>[/html]