Horses question!
So. Ulilohi is 7ft 4in (223cm) tall and weighs 320lbs (145kg). I know nothing about horses and I think quite a few people on the board do, so just asking: is it realistic that she could find a horse that can handle her size/weight?

If not, I guess I can just have her drive around in a cart :|
I don't know if any horse could carry Ulilohi, but if they could, I would think of a draft horse like a Belgian horse... though I don't actually know if they could? :> A horse expert would have to confirm/deny.

From what I can tell, the largest horse recorded was a Belgian horse :o
I'm thinking she's probably too big, but I'd agree with Tammi otherwise. Definitely a draft horse if at all.

I found this interesting article. But it seems like it mostly depends on how large and heavy the horse itself is in relation to the weight it bears...
But a horse would definitely be able to pull her in a cart, right? Since that's mostly leg power and not the horse's back taking all of it...?

Maybe if I find like a freakishly large horse somewhere XD
May I suggest an alternative form of steed, such as perhaps an ox?
Haha... well, we have Cow. :|
Cow could be trained to pull a cart!

:>
Now I envision Uli standing on a cart like Roman style, holding her spear like a ceptre with Cow pulling the thing. It is a glorious image. Big Grin

But in all seriousness... I should just assume finding a riding horse for her can't b e done? ;/
Well, I'm not sure if this is allowed or what but you could assume that the horses now are larger than the human bred ones? Y'know to accommodate the size different between luperci and humans.
I feel like probably not. She's probably too tall and too heavy. I'm trying to imagine Anatoliy at 8'1" riding a horse and.. it just boggles the mind >>
I honestly don't know about the realism about any over 8" luperci riding a horse but I've noted a couple in the past doing so and that's why I decided to do it XD Vito was picked up in freetown where we can assume horses are breed for certain attributes. Cait works a lot with horses and has never mentioned anything to me, though she has mentioned training the horse IC to handle a lot more extra weight then the rest of the horses, but if through this forum we end up deciding it's impossible I'll have Vito pull Jaz by cart XD

DERP posted with the OOC account *facedesk* ....This is Melissa. And I fail.
Hmm.. yeah. I guess a horse -could- be bred for this type of thing over time, but I think the time span has been too short for that to be allowed, realistically? Like... if it happened by breeding or by itself, it'd still require quite a lot of generations to produce an animal strong/sturdy enough.

I guess I should just take this to the 'SA.... heh Tongue Thanks for your input guys!
I actually found an answer, believe it or not

http://www.horsesciencenews.com/horseback-...horse-carry.php

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Much-Weight-...arry?&id=341252

http://horsekinetics.com/how-much-weight-s...d-a-horse-carry

So all in all: if you weigh over 250 pounds, no horse!

I be lucky all my characters are skinny XD
Yeah, but wouldn't luperci have already figured out that they needed larger horses and have started breeding them for purpose a while back. I mean I know for certain that in the world territory I created they brought in large breeds and started making larger hybrids over time, so whose to say no one else has done this?
With What bria found it'd be possible for her to ride a horse like what Aeron has a percheron.
http://horsebreedslist.com/horse-breeds/80/percheron
They are large and can weight up to 2600lbs so there weight limit would be close to 500lbs
Even at roughtly 1900 which is more average they could hold a max of close to 400 lbs So its
making it possible for her to be carried by them.
I would say finding a large percheron would be possible. If this helps you at all marit.
Thanks, Marie! I will defo be looking into that :3

For those of you thinking that there should have developed larger horses to accomodate, or have been bred them, I'm not sure. I think most breeders would have to go many generations to get such a large change in a breed, and we have to remember that we haven't been without humans for that many decades. Additionally, it would have taken the luperci some time to both accomodate to a new world, and then discover the use of horses, especially here in NA where technology isn't as advanced as in Europe Smile I'm not sure that excludes larger horses appearing, but I don't think we can just assume it's been done, because I'm not positive it's realistic?

But seems like a percheron could work based on current status of the breed anyway! Big Grin
Ahh, you got a point there. I always forget that Europe is ahead of the Americas XD
I have literally no idea about horse breeding and how long it would take to get such a change through breeding, though, so I could be wrong! If anyone knows, do enlighten us Big Grin
For dog breeding, it usually takes around 50 years (I think--I couldn't find any stats on this) for you to be able to see a change, I believe. [This is mostly from where I've read about families that develop dog breeds in which the parent starts it and dies before it's done]

For instance, if you want to develop a dog that looks like a wolf and breed 3 dog breeds together, it would take a lot of generations before you get a distinct look, mostly because you have to keep breeding them until you achieve the desired effect. If a horse has a lifespan of 25-30 years and colts can begin breeding at 18 months (but usually don't start until 3 years), then it would take 30 years to get a tenth generation horse (assuming you breed every offspring when they turn 3). So I would think around 30 years to begin developing a new type of horse, though it might take longer to perfect it and develop a certain pattern of conformation.

This maaay or may not be totally accurate. >_> I can't find any resources on this so I am kind of just multiplying things. If we take this as true and use 30 years as a minimum and also add on the 5-10 years it probably took luperci to adapt and acquire horses, then 2018 is the earliest we might see a new breed of horse. Alternatively, given that we didn't start roleplaying with horses in 'Souls until about 2 years ago, then if we assume this is true for all of North America, then it wouldn't be until 2030 before we see the development of a new type of horse.

This assumes that you can make a horse larger than what exists already, which may be unlikely, since we may have already reached the limits in horse size, too.