We'll all float on anyway...
[html] p.

Life had changed. The difference was drastic in ways and then in others Oak was finding it all to be just the same. He traveled more, but still knew a place to return to. He patrolled the orchards, but did not mark borders… He returned to his mother, but not to the Manor. Life had changed, but Oak found it had not devastated him.

He wandered through the streets of Halifax outward scattered towns, wondering why he had never come here before. Nature had taken over, he figured it have been many many years since the walls and the streets were free of green, but there were still plenty of places to examine. And supplies to pillage.

Dark finger ran themselves through similar locks, cut short as he liked while it’s partner sat on the flat side of the single bladed axe belted to his waist. Tore bay gaze stretched out through the roads, over houses and he randomly chose which corner he would take next. Keen senses told him that wolves lingered near by, but the scents were washed by rain and swept by winds. A tracker would call them dead, leading nowhere but settled in a single central location.

Intrigued the loner moved quickly along with the hopes of going unnoticed and spotted something unusual. A greenhouse, one his mother would have fawned over, stood in what would have been a sort of garden or yard for the house. Oak approached it with caution, careful not to alert any that may still reside in the building.

[/html]
[html]

(435)

The transition between a life of informality and distinct pack structure had not been too difficult. She suspected having Saul at her side made everything easier; leadership indirectly took its toll on their time spent together, but it had also reinforced their bond. Lilin had no regrets. Her family had a safe haven to call home and they were stronger than ever. The Virdings had an unspoken agreement that whenever one of them would step out of the packlands, the other would linger behind. It had worked thus far and today was her turn to go for a stroll. She hadn't planned on making it all the way to Halifax. She had to let go of Hilsburn and Barrett altogether, or so she thought. He was gone and he wasn't coming back - making the journey back to the two greenhouses just for the sake of keeping his plants alive was counter-productive and she could not afford to do so any longer. Now that she had a whole day to kill, however, her resolution faltered considerably. If anyone asked, she could merely pretend she was out looking for tools left behind by her former landlord.

The Soulstorm heir could've made it back there with her eyes closed. Just the smell of Barrett's lot was distinct. Memories inevitably came rushing back to her, tugging at her heart strings as she reared around the secondary greenhouse. The grass was overgrown and unkempt, a testament to their departure. Their group had banded together, save for the grecian canine she hadn't seen in ages. Ariadne's disappearing act pained her little, seeing as both women didn't necessarily have the best of relationships. They were acquaintances and forced housemates, nothing more. Her nose did pick up several canine fragrances upon her arrival, passerby perhaps. Barrett has locked his garage with the only existing key; there was no way to get in there, even for Lilin. She had taken it upon herself to do the same with the greenhouses to keep outsiders away in her absence. It had been a while since she'd maintained the greenery and she half-expected a disaster.

Her mediterranean gaze had been so focused on the earthen ground, so deep in thought, that she hadn't noticed the presence of another until they were barely a few feet apart. Lilin froze in her steps when realization hit and she did not react. His back was to her; it was difficult to tell who it was. She couldn't recognize his scent but he could've been one of Barry's clients. "Excuse me. Are you looking for Barrett?"

<style type="text/css">
#lillin-1 .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:arial, serif;
text-transform:none;
font-style:italic;
font-weight:normal; }
#lillin-1 .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#lillin-1 b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: arial, serif; font-size: 11px; }.
#lillin-1 u { text-decoration: none; border-bottom:1px dotted #000000; }
#lillin-1 b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
#lillin-1 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
#lillin-1 {margin:0px auto; width:80%; background-color:none; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/ijCRS.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:none; padding: 80px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#111111; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

He couldn't imagine who would have lived here, eyes growing judgmental of the canines that may have been through the are or even called the place home. Of course the disbanded-Dreamers had lived in the Manor, but it had a homy feel to it. It had been seemingly more natural then this place... Oak frowned at the window he looked in, grungy and clouded he could not make what was inside. Then a voice spoke. At the verge of jumping from surprise Oak forced himself to be still for a moment, and then turned to see the female's face. Barret? he thought as he took her in, turning fully after another moment's passing.

Oak shook his head, Oh, no I'm not. He did not know who that was, nor who the female was either. Had she noticed the other's scents that lingered from the past? She was the first for Oak to have met since Crimson Dreams broke down, and he stalled at the notion of introducing himself. I was just looking around. He watched the woman, finding her a bit wind swept if he had to describe her. A mane of black and browns covered her head, a shift of fabric tacked around her form and a coloring that made him wonder if the two hues could not choose a happy blend and medium.

I'm Oak. He added. A hand rested on the axe, a comfort in an uncomfortable world. You know this place?

[/html]
[html]

(317)

She had impulsively braced herself for an immediate physical reaction before her inquiry had even passed her lips. Lilin assumed everyone reacted similarly when startled. Had the roles been reversed, she would have nearly jumped out of her skin. Her anticipation had been too hasty, perhaps. The stranger stood remarkably still for a few seconds, causing the Soulstorm heir to cautiously take a step back. No hostility was perceived; if anything, his demeanor was composed and relatively carefree, but it was better to be safe than sorry. Her mediterranean blue irises took the opportunity to seize him up and he obviously did the same. From the speckled confusion in his dark blue eyes, the soft shake of his head had been sadly expected. He didn’t know Barrett.

The lone male would have seemed harmless enough if a weapon hadn’t been in his possession. She hadn’t failed to notice the hand resting lightly on the axe’s wooden handle. Although wary, the Vinattan acknowledged his introduction with an acquiescing smile; he'd been blessed with a name befitting of his russet tones. Many oak trees constituted the forests surrounding the earthen trails within their newly claimed pack lands. An impressive amount of acorns littered the ground and she’d come to realize that Saul’s horses were quite fond of the treats nature had to offer them. She was about to reply with her own name when his inquiry took precedence over formality. “I do. Hilsburn was my home for a short while. My family and I relocated up north after our landlord left unexpectedly. I come back every so often. I guess a part of me hopes to find him here one day,” she admitted shamefacedly, very aware of how ridiculous her statement sounded. “I’m Lilin, by the way.” A hand uneasily rubbed her adjacent arm, her gaze still fixed intently upon the axe.

<style type="text/css">
#lillin-1 .txtooc {
#lillin-1 .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#lillin-1 b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: arial, serif; font-size: 11px; }.
#lillin-1 {margin:0px auto; width:80%; background-color:none; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/ijCRS.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:none; padding: 80px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#111111; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

They watched one another, the space between them not friendly but appropriate for strangers. He wondered what he looked like in the eyes of the wolfess, who from the smell of her belonged to a pack. He, as his scent would pronounce, did not. He was a loner and such an identity was still new to the male. He had lost the ability to call himself a Dreamer, and did not know if his name was enough of a title.

She accepted it willingly enough, and the red toned wolf gained another inch of confidence in himself. Her words were casual, speaking of the yard they stood in and explaining her presence there as Oak had just a moment before. Her story; the part of the family made him think of the small settlement that Anu had created for them. A place for them to live for the moment.

It sounded as if she was looking for a friend rather then a landlord, as she described it. He did not find that far fetched at all, he of course had gone back to the pack lands to look for Cassia. If he had not found her then, he would have returned again and again. Though he could be explain it the feeling, he knew it was what he would have done.

He nodded at her introduction, reading the tone in the lines of her form and noting the unease. Her eyes drew and arrow to the weapon at his waist, and he felt a sudden need to explain that he had only just begun to learn how to use it as a proper weapon rather then just a tree cutting assistant.

Oak took his had away from it quickly, showing that he had no intention of using it. It’s nice to meet you. He expressed, stepping away from the window and looking at the structure as a whole. I did not know wolves lived so close to the city. He said with a growing curiosity. You are up north now though? I have not traveled in that direction often. Inferni is as far as I have gone. He admitted, looking at the female and watching for discomfort. He hoped that he did not continue to make her uneasy.

[/html]
[html]

(345)

Actions spoke louder than words. Her pointed gaze had been captured and as a result, Oak’s hand was readily removed from the source of menace. His compliance was gladly intercepted with a subtle exhale and a grateful smile, shortly before her attention was redirected to the structure detaining his interest. An invisible force pushed the two strangers further apart; he took several steps back and she did the exact opposite, mechanically moving closer to the building in question. “It’s very nice to meet you as well,” she retorted automatically, pressing a hand to the wall barring their way. He spoke and she listened, letting her fingers trail along the greenhouse’s flat panels.

“Nine of us lived here up until a few months ago,” she responded distantly, remembering each of her former comrades. Her statement wasn’t wholly accurate; the number provided had been correct for a day or two at most, and it had dwindled down shortly after Barrett’s departure. Her landlord had taken his two associates along with him, consequently removing Axle and Grit from the premises and their lives as a whole. Only five of them remained from that group, every individual a vital part of Vinatta. “A good ways north, yes. West of the big mountain.” She hoped her directions were accurate enough. If he knew of Inferni then he inevitably knew about Halcyon Mountain; it was hard to miss.

“Oh Oak, you’re missing out! It’s beautiful out there. Our lands are lush with vegetation- we have access to the sea and the Grand Lake. And our village of residence, Jordheim, is made out of earthen houses. Nothing like you’ve ever seen before,” she added with newfound excitement, losing herself in the reality of it all. Never, in her wildest dreams, would she have expected to live in such a place. It was very unlike her to share such enthusiasm with anyone but her family, much less a stranger. But the novelty of it all hadn’t quite worn out yet. “I assume you’re a southerner. Do you live far from here?”

<style type="text/css">
#lillin-1 .txtooc {
</style>
[/html]
[html]

She accepted his display of neutrality, and the tone in her body language told him that she understood that he was not there to harm her. Anu had taught him how to treat females, and it was without aggression and with respect. She was of a pack, and he knew well what stood behind her. Even though she was alone, she would still have their protection. Even if it came in the form of revenge. Despite his friendly nature and desire to honor other creatures, Oak knew to revere the pack.

There had been a community in the small house and garden that they stood beside. A pack from what Oak could imagine. Crimson Dreams had been about that size when it had been broken apart, and they had had lands and a grand territory.

He listened as she gushed. It was a an excitement that he found females tended to express, though he hadn’t seen Cassia speak in such a way. He could draw a smile from her, and happiness but that had only been because he had invited her to their camp fire. Oak tired to listen, and as she described the lands he found himself growing more curious. He understood the excited tone now, the place that she spoke of was something he had never seen before. Though Oak had obviously not been very far or seen many lands.

The male gave a nod, I am. I live in Berwick, there is an orchard there that I share with a few others. I was once of Crimson Dreams. But its no more. He tried to keep himself from faltering in his words, trying to stay strong like the tree he was names after. A thumb hooked to the belt, not the same as if his paw leaned against the flat of the axe but a sense of comfort all the same. What is the pack called? He asked, directing the conversation back onto her rather then his insecurities.

[/html]
[html]

(341)

Her mother had walked the lands of Berwick once upon a time when the town had still been under Dahlian command; around the time of Lilin’s conception, during a time when the madwoman had stood tall by Haku Soul. It had been an era of great turmoil, mere months before the war had reached its zenith; ending with the inevitable death of the tyrant. The Soulstorm heir had been born in a land far away from the conflict, where she’d lived in blissful ignorance for the first year of her existence. She was just now beginning to discover a hidden part of her heritage; bits and pieces heard throughout the north of Nova Scotia.

“I’m afraid I don’t know where Berwick is,” she admitted apologetically, quite unfamiliar with the terrain separating Hilsburn and Vináttan pack lands. Lilin had seen one or two orchards in her lifetime; little ones on her journey down to the Maritimes, neither of which she’d truly had time to visit or even appreciate. Crimson Dreams was another foreign name to her but she refrained from revealing that much. Losing a home was a difficult thing to overcome, she knew. Hilsburn was just a reminder of it all. Her pride and ego were still suffering from the loss; it had been months since and still, her heart ached with nostalgia. “I’m sorry about your pack, Oak.” She really was. At least, from the explanation provided, Lilin gathered that some of them had remained unified and formed a group of sorts – similar to what she’d had with her cousins prior to Vinátta’s creation.

“Vinátta,” she responded softly, knowing the male wouldn’t have heard of it unless news travelled faster than she had anticipated. “It means friendship. My family and I share norse origins. Perhaps you’ve met a few Stormbringers on your travels?” There were so many of them around now, it wouldn’t be surprising. As long as he’d run into her cousins and not her matriarch; Lilin was confident her relatives would have left a lasting and positive impression.

<style type="text/css">
#lillin-1 .txtooc {
</style>
[/html]
[html]

What had once been of the orchard and surrounding areas Oak did not know. It was before his time of understanding that Dahlia’s borders were still standing, and Anu spoke little of the past and history of the places around them. In their lessons as young wolves the brothers had been taught practical notions of the present, and were encouraged to dream about the future. The idea that she did not know of it fazed the russet male little; he did not know the lands very well either and could not fault the blue eyed woman for the same. He only gave a small brief description for he sensed that it would not be a place she was likely to seek out. It is far north of here, by the ocean.

The apology did touch the male, for it sounded honest and with a soft intent. He only nodded, a small smile of appreciation added so that perhaps she would take that as a poor substitute for words.

The name of the pack came from her lips with an odd accent, but she held it confidently. Oak rolled the sounds around in his mind for a moment; foreign languages were not his strength and he could loose the proper sounds easily. Oak found there to be more questions coming forward as she spoke, and then gained a more familiar feeling of association as he remembered the males by the name of Stormbringer that he had indeed met.

I have met a couple, Bran and Niernan. Good wolves. They are your brothers? Oak asked with a good sense of reaching in his tone. They could be siblings of further through the blood line, he just remembered them as cordial. And what is norse? He wondered aloud.

[/html]
[html]

(338)

His directions were definitely kept vague; they could have been applied to her pack as well. Perhaps the distance separating both of their homes wasn't lesser than they thought. Lilin mulled over that hypothesis for a moment, in an attempt to situate Berwick somewhere between Inferni, Salsola and Vinatta. His following comment coaxed satisfied nod from the Soulstorm heir, her delight apparent through the engraved smile on her face. Her two cousins had likely left a lasting impression; they were high-spirited and easy to get along with. Their antics were much to handle at times, especially whenever alcohol was involved but they were good boys at heart. "No, distant cousins of mine," she revealed, shaking her head from left to right. Lilin did have half-brothers somewhere in Canada, none of which she'd met thus far. She sincerely doubted she'd even recognize them should they ever cross paths.

"No littermates. I have an older half-sister though," she conceded with a quick nod, willingly disclosing her identity. If he'd met Niernan and Bran, perhaps he knew of her long lost sibling. "We just met not too long ago, really. Her name's Colibri." The Virding brought her shoulders up in a shrug; content with the simple fact that she now had someone to call her sister. She brought a finger to her lips thoughtfully, tapping her chin repeatedly as she pondered over an answer. "Umm, it's a lot of things. It's a way of life. Norsemen are people of the sea. They come from far away, across the ocean," she answered after a moment. It was a tricky question indeed. "The elders in my family speak Old Norse fluently but I'm still learning. We have our own Gods and religious beliefs. We Stormbringers are fond of Thor; the God of storms, thunder and lightning. Thor's fearsome hammer, Mjölnir, was made from a sacred oak tree, actually," she finally confessed, self-confidence glimmering in her orbs of mediterranean blue. She was learning quickly and Miskunn would have been proud to hear her explanation.

<style type="text/css">
#lillin-1 .txtooc {
</style>
[/html]
[html]

In truth, it was not safe to expose the orchard. It had been a place Anu had stumbled upon, and not very distinct to a passer by. Hiding was their best defense. Though Oak did not sense an impending threat from Lilin it was simply best to keep the secrets that would keep them safe.

He was glad that the interest had been focused onto the female and her family, something that she seemed fine with sharing. Explaining her family ties came easily for her, and he was curious to know where those friendly fellows came into play. But they were not her brothers, yet cousins. Such distant family was odd for Oak as he had none, but he was familiar with those not sharing any blood at all becoming family and so the uniqueness lasted only a moment.

Oak nodded, showing he understood. Brothers are overrated. he jested. It wasn’t honest of course, but there had been points in his life where he thought it the truth.

The russet wolf leaned against the nearest wall, listening happily to the lore that she spoke of. She confessed she was new to the language, but it was more then that as she explained. It was a living. Oak was used to principles, or lifestyles that held a belief system. But those were more vague, while this had names to the beings that were followed. It seemed to all be knit together, the Stormbringers and the God of storms… made of an oak tree? He thought with great interest. They were sturdy trees, their wood stronger then others…

Sounds very interesting. He was intrigued, and wanted to know more about the Thor she spoke of. He had a hammer? Oak wondered why he chose that rather then something with more of a blade. Like the axe… Though, Thor does not seem like a peaceful god. he commented, looking for more understanding.

[/html]
[html]

(283)

"I'll take your word for it," she countered with an uncertain smile and the slight tilt of her head, noticeably intrigued by the origin of his declaration. Lilin did not judge him though; after all, she could have said the same about her parents. They were most definitely overrated. The Virding felt compelled to elaborate further when Oak adopted a more relaxed stance, his back pressed against the greenhouse and his eyes glimmering with what she thought to be curiosity. As if on cue, reassurance came in the form of a verbal statement - strengthening her assumption. This pleased her greatly and she gave a few flicks of her tail to demonstrate her eagerness to share some more information.

As any good student should, Oak allowed a passive inquiry to test her knowledge and she accepted the challenge readily, pausing to choose her words carefully. "I don't think any being can be considered wholly good. You seem peaceful enough at first glance," she started, eyeing the wooden axe pointedly - hoping he would understand her logic. "But you wouldn't hesitate to use your axe if it meant protecting yourself or those you love, right?" Surely he would understand the necessity for desperate measures in dire times. Lilin herself had no qualms with harming another being for the greater good, such was the Lightning God's philosophy. "Thor protects us against winter's cold, natural disasters; both seen and unseen foes, tangible or not."

None of the Norse Gods were without sin, that's what made them real and worth following. With another smile, Lilin directed the tip of her nose toward the greenhouse ahead. She'd seen him looking."Would you like to take a look inside?"

<style type="text/css">
#lillin-1 .txtooc {
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Highly curious about the hammer holding Thor, Oak watched the female as she thought of her reply. He had no true idea that she was new to the teachings, and found that her response was particularly intuitive. It was true, he would have done the very thing she described. The male nodded. He tried to picture the figure of their god. A wolf, holding a hammer with a thick oak tree handle. But when it came to his pelt color and his features Oak could not describe it. But he was a protector against winter and disasters… As Lilin said.

Oak nodded, speaking that he understood what she meant. He had never thought of following a god, or following anything beyond the Sun as his mother described in her stories. He had always thought she simply looked to the star, as it was what gave her garden children life.

His blue eyes blinked as she made the gesture towards the green house. Yes. He replied, standing fully on his two foot-paws and following the two toned woman. As they entered he looked up, and then around them. It was filled with plants. Some had succumbed to dryness, but others had flourished. My mother would love this. She tends to the orchard in Berwick. He walked up to a plant, to examine it’s leaves.

[/html]
[html]

(385) Click here to see the plants available!

Another smile crept onto her lips, and she mirrored one of Oak's nods - but for different reasons. While he was merely displaying his understanding of the clarifications Lilin had provided, her gesture was meant to share her approval with this honesty and morality. In that aspect, they were no different. The Virding wasn't fond of unfounded violence either and rarely did she intentionally instigate an argument, but her family took precedence over personal preferences. Knowing that Oak possessed a similar outlook on life did not fail to impress her, and with that little glimpse into his mind came newfound respect. Suddenly she did not see him as a possible threat any longer.

He had accepted her invitation and consequently straightened up, silently inciting Lilin forward until the front entrance was reached. Her right hand fumbled with the combination lock she'd tacked on to the structure in hopes of keeping pillagers away. There was nothing of important value in there; the greenhouse's contents were all sentimental and she had selfishly kept them from the outside world, firmly believing at the time that no one but Barrett had a right to step foot in there. While the nursery had mainly served its purpose for cannabis, Lilin had transfered small sections from the butterfly gardens to holding pots before leaving Hilsburn behind. Initially, she'd planned on visiting every few days to water and care for them, but with her newly acquired responsibilities as one of the Virdings in Vinatta, she scarcely had time for herself anymore.

Once inside, Lilin remained near the entry point where she could step out for fresh air should nostalgia become too much to deal with. Memories did come flooding back to her, but Oak's presence was enough of a distraction to keep her from succumbing to them. ''Take what you want. He's not coming back and they'll die like the rest if you don't,'' she admitted softly, a tinge of sadness woven in her tone of voice. Whatever he didn't take, she would bring back with her to Vinatta and give to Colibri and the pack's communal garden. She couldn't possibly take all of them with her though, and so she hoped Oak would not be modest. ''I know most of these attract butterflies. Barry was always fond of them.''

<style type="text/css">
#lillin-1 .txtooc {
</style>
[/html]
[html]wrapping this up a bit, hoping to start his journey to VN very soon!

He turned at the sound of her sorrow, though it was only slightly known in her tone. Oak nodded once, her generosity greatly appreciated. His mother would certainly appreciate the color, the orchards were simply green in the summer season. The garden of the Dreamers could not be forgotten by the matriarch. Perhaps Oak could bring her some comfort in the flowers. They needed tending too as well, and she was magical in her ways of reviving those that were on the brink of death.

The male took up the pot that she addressed, wondering if butterflies would make the Berwick cider house more like home. Thank you. She will love these. he gave a smile of graciousness.

She certainly couldn’t have known that her short words had given the male many things to think about. He wanted to know about the god she spoke of, he wanted to know more about how he protected his believers and if it was all even true. He knew that some gods were real while other had been made up. Anu believed in the powers of the sun, while others saw it only as a star. But there was no denying the powers of her deity. Without it they were left in darkness and cold. That was far more tangible then the image of a beast with a hammer, defending against the ferocity of nature. But what if there were things that he had yet to see that spoke of Thor’s presence?

He looked back to her and walked towards the door, wondering if fate had brought them together for any reason in particular and then added, It was nice to meet you Lilin, and thank you again.

[/html]