Learning new tricks
[html] Not my best starting post, but hey what the heck lol

The Berwick orchard was as of yet not as well kept as the Crimson Dreams orchard, but Anu was already well on her way to making it another well groomed grove. Cassia attempted to help wherever she could, but the art of cultivation was new to her. She understood the concept for she had been educated on the subject in her youth, but the practices were new. For the first time in awhile Cassia wore nothing but her sword belt and her blade. The weather had been so pleasant today that she had decided her clothes and armor were not worth the effort of putting on. At sunrise she had buckled her belt around her waist and set about the days doings.

Sea green gaze danced around the orchard for any sign of Anu, Oak, or Cypress. She had patrolled their new homeland several times, keeping a watchful eye for any intruders. They were not on any pack's lands so the risk of unfriendly loners happening upon this little patch of paradise was everpresent. Now that her two patrols were complete she wanted to be put to work in some other way. If she found no one she would likely turn to practicing her fighting forms or going hunting.

The breeze that always seemed to flow through the orchard caught her mahogany mane which she had left hanging down her back. Her bangs swept briefly into her face only to be brushed back into place with a wave of her hand. The mocha ticked girl looked down each row of the small orchard and saw no one, oddly enough. A brief huff and a slight slump of her shouders displayed her disappointment as she resolved to practice her hand to hand combat. Leaving her sword in its scabbard, she assumed her starting stance, calmed her breathing, and began her rehearsed series of punches, kicks, rolls and various combinations. This would pass the time for now. [/html]

[html]
    He hung the rabbit carcass on the porch rail, skinned and ready for whom ever wished to eat it. For Cypress, Anu or the pale wolfess that had come to join then as well. Or for Cassia if she needed it. Oak hunted often, finding it a release for the frustrations and displacement that had settled inside. He felt the tension, sinking deep between his shoulder blades. It was odd, a foreign thing that he did not care for. And yet he was growing used to it, used to the pain.

Blade aside, Oak took to a semi normal routine of patrolling the small orchard and farm. He looked for strangers, and though this was not -their- lands he wished to know if another loner or a pack wolf was near before they found the others that he cared about that slept among the fruit trees. The axe remained. Strapped on his waist the weapon had only ever touched the flesh of kindling, not that of an enemy.

He caught the scent of a familiar fey, and a smile instantly tickled the corners of his mouth. The russet hued male made his way towards her, and she appeared as he rounded the bend of the line of trees. He paused, finding her without the ordinary clothing that she wore. Her limbs moved through the air, in a way he had not experienced before. Oak had never been around many fighters, his mother a peaceful woman more then anything else... And his father, was non existent.

Not wanting to intrude the male said nothing, as he watched. He would only stay for a moment. 

[/html]
[html] The rhythm of her heart combined with the sounds of her breathing, the rushing air around her flying limbs formed a unique song flowing from a unique instrument, her body. With each punch and kick the dance of combat flowed forth. Whatever scenario she had formulated in her head to key her practice towards was reaching its peak and while she had previously used only her fists and feet she now spun into a slash with her sword, unsheathed with one smooth swing of her arm. A couple swift slashes and punches brought her into a crouch then with a final shout she leapt forth with both hands clutching her blade bring it forward a powerful thrust.

She landed and her sea green gaze caught a glimpse of the russet male standing and watching her. Her final move had landed her facing him, her chest heaving from her exertion. "Oak!" she exclaimed, rising and sheathing her sword. "How long have you been there?" she inquired, not ashamed that he had been observing her, but embarrassed that she had not sensed his arrival. The cinnamon girl knew she would have to be more careful, she could not allow herself to be caught off guard when practicing her martial arts. If she neglected her surroundings while practicing then what would happen in actual combat? Her embarrassment found her uncharacteristically moving to fidget with her hair nervously. Calm, collected, those were her normal traits, but all that always seemed to go out the window when this male showed up. She had spent much time trying to figure out the reasoning behind this emotional change, but had as of yet been unable to ascertain it. This lack of success had driven her to stop trying. The mahogany maned wolfess chose to accept the issue. [/html]

[html]

Arms hung at his sides, standing quiet and still as she moved. He could almost see the invisible opponent that she faced, her hits direct and controlled. The sword appeared, stunning the male slightly and finding her even more intimidating. Was he indeed intimidated? He had not found her that way before, and he knew that he had under estimated her from their very first meeting. Though he had never thought that she was lying to him about her training, he had never imagined that she was so experienced for being so young.

She turned to see him, standing there with eyes in awe. Her question can hastily and he took a step back and shook his head. Only a moment. He estimated, giving himself a bit of give on the honesty. He had only wanted to be there a moment before letting her continue her training and practice. But he had ended up staying much too long. I didn’t mean to interrupt. He added, watching her as she mimicked his own sense of unease. He realized he had been picking at the fur of his arm since she noticed him.

He cleared his throat, gaining a bit of his confidence back. They were friends, and he had a natural ease around her and the situation had not squashed that. You said you were trained, he spoke with a growing closed mouth smile, but you didn’t explain how talented you were. Words were genuine, any teasing or charm absent.

[/html]
[html] Their combined anxiety quickly faded as Oak replied. She truthfully didn't know how long he had been watching her so she had no reason to doubt that he had only been there briefly. The male had likely come out on a patrol, checking on the orchard and had come upon her. The cinnamon girl was glad he had run into her, for it had been her inability to find him that had driven her to rehearse her fighting skills. Now that he was here, Oak would surely have something she could help him with. His compliment and smile brought a flush of warmth to her cheeks. He was always so nice, a bit too generous with his words she thought, but nice. Her skills were nothing special. She had only ever been tested in mock combat, situations of self defense. The real test of greatness in combat came in battle, or so she had always been taught.

"Th-thank you, but I'm not that talented really. I had a lot of good teachers to train me," she replied, a bashful smile curling the edges of her lips. Her upbringing, her training with the centurion and his legionnaires had turned her into a formidable fighter. However, the teachings of her old culture had led her to believe that a female could not hope to exceed the combat abilities of a male. The times in her youth that she had bested a soldier or the centurion himself she had been led to believe they had held back, despite their expressions of exhaustion and or discomfort from her blows. Oak's compliment had been appreciated, even if she did not deserve it in her opinion.

The russet hybrid was a good friend, always making her smile with his words. She only hoped she had success doing the same for him just as much. The mocha tipped femme had not had a real friend before. Oak had been her first, close friend in her life. Those 'friends' she had had back in her old homeland were only loyal to her as a daughter of the nobility. Her status had warranted her an entourage that she had developed a strong distaste for. All had been terrible biggots, flaunting their so called 'class' and stepping on the toes of those they deemed beneath them. Oak was not like that at all. He treated all with equality and the respect they deserved. A true friend who shared her opinion of others was something she really cherished. [/html]

[html]self-conscious Oak lol

She gave him a similar look as to when he had come upon her near Rabbit Lake. A smile though, appeared with the seemingly shy gaze she portrayed. He thought her wrong; the actions she showed were indeed talent. One could not be taught such comfort and ease in the movements, or so Oak thought. He was not familiar with fighting of course, and so perhaps he was easily impressed. But all the same; she impressed him.

He knew that the group needed protection, and he knew that particularly his mother needed a guardian. Oak had his axe, and carried it with him along patrols and his travels. But he was not so prideful that he could not admit that he needed advice in handling it. Its balance and the comfort he felt while holding it was why he chose it, but there hadn’t been anyone in Crimson Dreams that could teach him. Cassia was the closest he had to a possible mentor.

Would you be willing to share those lessons? He asked, smile falling as he worried about what he could give in return. He took the axe from the belt, handling it not as if it was a weapon but a tool much like a saw, farmer’s rake or spade. I want to learn to use this to protect myself, and others. He explained, glancing back at the female hoping to gleam an answer from her features as he waited for her response. Would she think him foolish for carrying it if he didn’t know how to use it as expertly as she used her sword or her own hands?

[/html]
[html] lol

Oak's inquiry did not surprise her as much as it flattered her. He wanted to learn from her? Of course she would do her best to impart the wisdom of her teachers to him, perhaps with a bit of her own personal spin. The male possessed raw strength already, and he obviously felt familiar with his weapon. This would make teaching easier as the majority would have to focus on technique. The russet male explained his reasoning which only served to reinforce her agreement. "Certainly Oak, it would be a privilege to help teach you. We can start right now if you'd like," she replied, a full, eager smile painted on her features. Without another thought she turned and walked back to the area of earth where she had been practicing. Her maneuvers had flattened the grass and created an ideal training area at the edge of the orchard.

Her hand moved to the hilt of her sword drawing it effortlessly and holding it at her side. "Come, stand opposite me and I will have you mirror my movements. The balance on an axe is different than a sword, weighted more toward the front so some of these moves may not be as effective. However, this is just to let me see how you move with your weapon. Then we can start modifying my sword techniques to better suit your axe. We might even develop some completely new techniques over the course of the training. I'll do my best to teach you what I know, but we'll both be learning throughout this whole thing," she replied, her voice an outpouring of excitement. She knew it would take several days to set Oak up with the techniques he would need to progress as a fighter. After the basics were established however, she knew he would quickly evolve his own style and she would start sparring with him to allow him to test himself against a real opponent. There was no substitute for refining ones fighting skills than actually fighting. The prospects brought a smile to her face. She would enjoy teaching Oak, and she hoped to make the experience enjoyable for him as well. [/html]

[html]

He was not sure if she would agree to it. She worked with a sword and her own hands, not with an axe. Would it be different, too different that she would not agree? All he needed was a few tips; something that could get him started and build his confidence. He wanted to know he could handle himself, and an opponent if the occasion ever arose. They were free wolves, and that was not as liberating as one might think with the title. Loners were without the protection of the pack, and indeed it was possible for them to be alone and hurt by another. Pack members did not always roam together. But knowing that behind him was a pack of wolves, to speak the name and to wear the scent was protection. Now, they were all without it and Oak refused to be helpless.

Oak walked up to Cassia, watching her closely and listening with the same attention and intent. He moved his hand slightly as she spoke, finding that the balance was indeed in the front of the axe while her sword would not be. He smiled as she continued, finding that she sounded eager to help him and teach. I would appreciate it He replied. Whatever knowledge she could share would be stored in his mind and he was gracious for her willingness.

The male stood as she did with two paws on the axe handle, keeping himself a bit looser then he normally stood. Tension has been building in his shoulders, keeping him tight. He had found it as he hunted, and knew that he needed to focus on being a bit fluid if he hoped to move as she did.

[/html]
[html] This will be interesting ^_^

The cinnamon girl watched as Oak moved to stand across from her, his hands holding his axe in front of him like she held her sword. His stance mimicked hers and now she could start. "Let's begin, shall we? Do what I do," she instructed, her smile everpresent as she started her first movement. Drawing both of her arms above her head stepping forward as she brought it down in a quick, slash stopping the tip of her blade quickly just above the level of her hips. Pulling back into her beginning stance, Cassia removed her left hand, leaving her blade in her right hand. Blade held out in front of her made a move as if to slap away another sword before turning her wrist to make a quick back slash.

Her eyes never left Oak, watching his every move to try and gauge any areas he might to improve upon. Thus far he seemed to possess quite a lot of natural ability with his axe doing his best to follow each move. "One thing to be conscious of is making sure the edge of your blade is always facing the direction of your strike. With practice it will become habit to rotate your wrist or your weapon to always strike with the leading edge," she remarked calmly as she continued to move through various one handed and two handed strikes, with the occasional kicks and punches to see how Oak would adjust. She really was impressed with his ability. He would be easy to teach if this first exercise was any indication.

After a few more sequences of movements, the mahogany maned girl stopped, sheathing her blade as she walked over to Oak. "You're doing very well, Oak. I just have a few things I want to show you," she explained as she stopped just a few feet in front of him. "First, make sure when you're moving through the stances to not be too heavy on your feet. Stay on your toes while you move, but be prepared to ground your stance at a moments notice to either block or parry a blow. Your stance is incredibly important in a fight. Second, if you ever need to block a strike, your axe handle is probably going to be your best blocking surface. You can slide one hand up towards the axe head while keeping the other somewhat lower for a two handed block or you can move one hand further down the handle for a one handed block," she instructed the male. She hoped she did not sound condescending in any way, she had merely hoped to tell him things which he might not have been able to see during their mirroring session. The next step, after she answered any questions he might have would be to spar with him so that he could see how his axe felt in a real fight. [/html]

[html]

When she gave the command Oak did not hesitate to follow it. He was a bit of leader, compared to his brothers he had always seen himself as the one in front, but here he was happy to do as he was told. Following her lead, the russet colored male felt awkward at first. Trying to copy her movements was not easy, as he had never done such a thing before. Oak listened intently on her instruction, hoping that it would give him a better idea of how his body was to feel and act. As they repeated, and continued with the practice he found that once he returned to a previous movement his body remembers just as his mind did.

Cassia paused, and Oak stopped as well. He was a bit out of breath, surprisingly. Blue eyes watched as she approached him, her instruction detailed and easy for him to understand. It was true, to keep his weight on his toes was something he did instinctively while on the hunt but it had not occurred to him that he should be focused on them now. Oak did as she told, and found that even that small action shifted his weight into a better balance while handling the weapon. Hands moved as she explained, one to the top and the other to the bottom of the wooden handle. He gave a nod, voicelessly expressing his understanding.

That does feel better, he replied, being on my toes. Oak added, with a bit of a smile. He felt the weight of the axe as he held it with a single hand, already noting the small difference in his confidence while handling the axe. He had a long way to go, but he was happy for the start. I can practice these, on my own? He asked. The earthen pelted woman had sort of been doing that when he had come up on her.

[/html]
[html] Sorry for the delay, been a bit under the weather lately

Arms folded in front of her as Cassia watched Oak comply with her instructions. Her next instinct was to invite him to spar, however, she was not sure how to do this safely with the novice axe fighter. Normally in a sparring match she would wrap her sword in a piece of cloth to block the cutting edge of her blade, in her early days of training she had been issued a training sword, formed of hard wood. The blows stung and bruised but never gave any permanent damage however without such protections sparring with Oak could prove dangerous. "Yes, you can practice on your own. I want you to focus on repeating each movement exactly the same, precisely. The more times you repeat a move correctly the more natural it becomes. When each form begins to feel automatic, you can shift to increasing your speed," she advised, sea green gaze connecting with the tore bay blues of the male. Stepping back a single stride from Oak, the mahogany tressed girl unbuckled her sword belt, strolling to the nearest tree to hang it from its lowest limb. "Now, if you wouldn't mind. I would like to see you fight without a weapon. We can practice on two legs or four, but you know as I do that opportunities to defend oneself and others do not always present themselves when we have our weapons. I want to see how you fight...and I haven't had the opportunity to spar with anyone in a long time," she revealed, her gaze shifting away timidly. She was a bit childish in her love of sparring. Throughout her upbringing the only opportunity she had been given as an outlet for her puppish energy had been in the daily training sessions with the centurions. Her lessons from the noblewomen and tutors had been so much more regimented and strict, teaching her to be civil and poised in the social arena. She didn't want to push it on Oak, but as one of her favorite passtimes she had wanted to spar with her dearest friend in these lands.[/html]

[html] sorry for the wait, again. im going to try to much faster now.

Oak was excited at the prospect of practicing, but he was looking forward to becoming a natural with the axe far more. Her idea was simple and it made reasonable sense to him. The more he preformed the act the more natural it would become, and the faster he could be. He envisioned himself moving swiftly through the motions, his body knowing the swings and strikes just as expertly as they knew how to run and hunt. The axe was not a perfect fit for their lessons. Oak figured that it would be best to learn the sword from Cassia, for she seemed most comfortable with that element. But it made him even more gracious that she would school him.

He nodded, listening to his teacher intently. He relaxed as she walked away, and stood straighter and out of the fighting position. The use of his limbs in the new way was more taxing then his normal day to day. Though his arms were shaped by the cutting and hauling of trees, yet they were still unfamiliar with the different exercises that she had taught him and he was relieved at the possibility of setting the tool aside for a rest.

Though the earthen hued woman turned back to him, blue eyes focused on her form. She returned with a new idea and the tree-named male was not about to refuse her help even if he had thought a break would be pleasant. Oak smiled, white teeth shining against black lips. Okay He answered, stepping to the side and placing the axe against the tree gently. He had a newfound affection for the weapon and would not likely be slamming it into the faces of trees any time soon.

Black and burnt ember flecked paws rose, fingers closing into fists as they moved to protect his upper body. He took the same stance he had before, on his toes and with loose muscles.

[/html]
[html]No worries, I'm not as fast as I used to be either. Real life gets in the way sometimes. You feeling better?

We can have this sparring match go anyway you want, Oak wins, Cassia wins, or a draw, anyway you want. She's quick so her dodging skills are one of her strengths. However, she also doesn't know how Oak fights so it's highly likely she'll make a few mis-steps where he can land a few blows. Like usual, I'm just excited to see wherever this goes ^_^

Lips curved in a smirk, eager to see Oak's version of unarmed combat. His one word response and similar smile sent a chill of anticipation down her spine. This would be fun. With her body unburdened by her usual clothes, armor and weapons the Calidus girl felt unfamiliarly light. Her muscular form slid into her fighting stance as she watched Oak assume his pugilistic posture. No doubt he would make use of his sinewy arms to throw some powerful punches. Her muscular but slight form would not be an easy target, but with strength like his it would take only a few blows to bring her down.

Throughout her training she had developed her own style of fighting, unlike the grappling, boxing style of the centurions. She understood that style, but had found her physique unfit to utilize it properly. No, her own unique form had developed from observing festival dancers in her old homeland. Their movements flowed like willow branches in the wind, more floating than actually stepping. At a young age she had recognized the flexibility of the feminine form could be both beautiful and deadly. She would try to tire Oak out, avoiding as his blows as best she could while attempting to shift him off balance. At least, that was the present plan. Knowing only his stance and obvious physical strength prevented her from developing any other sort of attack plan. Then again, that was the point of this exercise, to see how he fought and to help him improve if need be.

Rising on the balls of her feet, bending at the knees, shoulders relaxed and loose Cassia smiled yet again. "Whenever you're ready, then," she remarked, staring at him with puppish glee sparking in her sea green gaze. The first move would be his to make."Don't hold back, either," she added, making it abundantly clear that she wanted no hesitation or restraint on his part. [/html]

[html] oh i think she would win lolll.... & feeling back to normal! Big Grin

Eyes watched keenly, and he waited. Cassia returned with quite the remark making Oak’s brows rose slightly. He had been unknowingly waiting for her to hit him first. Now that the challenge was given he felt the difference that the hand to hand combat presented. He had never stuck a female. With the weapons it was different, at least it felt as such now that he did not have his axe. He did not find her vulnerable nor unable to defend herself but there was still a principle that was stopping himself from throwing the first punch.

Cassia’s smile exuded confidence, making it easier for him to truly consider hitting her. She wasn’t fragile, the thought repeated in Oak’s mind once more. She was a warrior, an ideal that the russet male hadn’t forgotten but he could see her face so clearly without the handle of his axe to block him.

He moved to the side, circling her to delay the strike and allowing his thoughts to germinate. Oak then gave a jab, his heart not behind the throw of his fist and aiming for the space of open air just to the side of her head. Instantly he recoiled his arm, back into the position of defense in front of him just below his chin.

[/html]
[html] Oh poor Oak, no idea about what's going to happen next

The cinnamon girl watched cooly as Oak circled her side and threw a punch. Where was he aiming? Her practiced, sea green gaze detected an intentional miss as she barely moved her face to avoid the already wide jab. The russet male recoiled his punch so quickly it became even more obvious he hadn't wanted to really hit her. Her brief dodging movement sent her mahogany mane swaying as she floated forward on her toe pads moving to make her own strike.

The edge of her mouth tightened with a bit of a frustrated clench in her jaw. Had she not just told him not to hold back? Wasn't she supposed to be his teacher? Oh well, she would just have to teach by example then. She would be unable to see his fighting style if he kept pulling his punches. Her frustration faded into a mischievous smirk. The huntress would aim high to either shock Oak into fighting with a hit or by forcing him to dodge. Either way she knew his self preservation instincts would kick in and he would have to respond in kind. Angering him was not her goal, so she hoped her actions would not bring him to that.

Her plan of action decided, the Calidus girl closed the small distance between them with a short step. In a practiced motion her right fist slapped into the palm of her left hand, arms raised and hips twisted sending her forearm flying towards Oak's head, aiming to strike him with the area just ahead of her elbow. She had not gone full strength, but she knew that even half strength elbow strikes were enough to make an opponent's ears ring. She would know, it happened to her a couple times when the soldiers got tired of her dodging their punches. The shock of her opponents moving in close would leave her wide open to get clocked in the side of the head with an elbow. She'd only fallen for it a few times, but it had only taken once to learn how much it hurt. Deep down, she hoped Oak would somehow dodge the strike.[/html]

[html] lmaooo

Relief filled him when his fist only felt air. Deep down he did not wish to hurt her, but he was also not fooling her. He reached back to stand up right once again, and saw the action that was the prelude to her own strike. It came quickly, and Oak had been warned but was far from prepared for it.

he felt the blow, but did not see her face when it happened. His eyes were already closed, shut tight anticipating the impact. Then, he went to sleep. Lost to blackness he did not feel his body fall to the ground. He did not see or hear the female's reaction or movements. There was simply, nothing.

[/html]