What Is Written Cannot Be Unwritten
Although Aranck had disparaged being one of the only members to speak AniWayan in AniWaya, he was glad that there had been someone before him to start putting together some semblance of records. But the person that had done it, Ralla, had apparently disappeared. So he took it upon himself to finish her work.

What he had decided to start with was the history of the Great Tribe. This was something that he knew well, having been told it since he was a small boy. He was born only a generation or so after the humans were wiped out. So he knew the Tribe's history quite well. And in many ways, the history of the Great Tribe was the history of AniWaya. So it was important that he wrote this down.

He took some birch bark and some pieces of charcoal. He then settled near the ceremonial fire with Dega sitting not too far from him. He frowned thoughtfully as he considered what to write. He knew that he should start at the beginning. He also would do it in English since he was one of the few here that could read and write AniWayan. The Great Tribe came to be after the fall of the humans." He nodded. That should do. So he continued carefully, making sure what he wrote was accurate and understandable.
[html]
<style>
#ulilohi {width:90%; margin:10px auto; border:0; font-family: arial, sans-serif;}
#ulilohi p {padding:0; text-indent:0;}
#ulilohi p.wc {text-align:right;}
</style>

Atisia (marten spirit guide) is visible :3
Umm I think I forgot where this was supposed to be, so I just referenced him as sitting outside in the Village somewhere, and Ulilohi spots him? Let me know if that isn't okay!

The weather was less harsh as she went outside of the stables, quite satisfied with herself after controlling their supplies and checking on the animals. It would seem like their Animal Carers were doing a good job, because all that Ulilohi could see was animals in good health and strength. The large lady was somewhat disappointed in their pigeon system - or rather, the lack of messages received by it - , though she dreaded the day that she might find a message waiting for her. The councilwoman had never learned to read and write properly. It had been attempted taught to her several times, but often she had simply been too preoccupied with her aunt and her path to care about it. A warrior did not need to know how to read, and if she rose in rank to the point where she might have to show some skill in this, it could be learnt later. This was the message she had told herself, and now, it would seem, it was catching up with her. Perhaps sometime soon, she might have to ask some of the other tribesmembers to teach her, or she'd have to ask one of them to permanently assist her with the message system. One of the scouts, perhaps.

The trek back to the village didn't take her too long - the weather was light and she had long and strong legs to carry her with swiftness and certainty. Once she reached the central part of the Village, a familiar figure appeared in her field of vision, and she changed directions to greet him. They had not spoken one-on-one since he came here; she was usually all over the place, completing this and fixing that. The much younger female walked up to the other confidently, arm raised in greeting. "Osiyo, Aranck — dohitsu?" She spoke softly once at a comfortable distance, so as not to startle him, her husky voice low, but calm.

[/html]
[html]<style type="text/css">
.awaranck-ooc {font-size:0.9em;line-height:1.2em;padding-bottom:3px;font-style:italic;width:85%;max-width:640px;min-width:490px;margin:0 auto;text-align:right;font-family:georgia;}
.awaranck {margin:0 auto;padding:0;background:#000 url(http://aniwaya.soulsrpg.com/public/imag ... Aranck.jpg) no-repeat top left;width:90%;max-width:640px;min-width:490px;color:#c0c0c0;border:1px solid #000 }
.awaranck .in {margin:260px 10px 10px 10px; padding:7px; font-family:helvetica,arial;font-size:1em;}
.awaranck p {margin:0;padding:0;text-indent:30px;}
.awaranck b {color:#C0CFEB;font-family:georgia;}
.awaranck-credit {text-align:center;font-size:0.9em;font-style:italic;font-family:georgia}</style>

He's by the Great Fire

His attention was fully on his writing. He massaged his head as he considered what to write next and how to write it. He was nearing the point where Chief Ayegali sent a scouting party that would find AniWaya. Of course, he would look over this and edit it and make changes to what needed to be fixed. Already there were places where he had crossed out words, phrases, or even larger passages that he didn't like how had worded. He heard something move in the distance but didn’t think anything of it, assuming it was simply a Tribe member.

The footsteps came closer and he looked up at the soft voice of the councilwoman. "Unalihelitseti, Anasgayv. Tosigwu. Nina?" He was glad to be speaking his mother-tongue again without teaching it, as much as he enjoyed that. He glanced down at the willow bark in his hands, placed them next to him, and rubbed his face gently, sighing as he did so. "Actually, Ulilohi, I'm working on writing various things, such as a history of both the Great Tribe and AniWaya, a language primer, and a few other things. Ralla did a good job of writing things down but I feel the need to add to it. Is there a place that I can store them all as I finish them?" He would chat when this topic that had been on his mind was taken care of.

Image by Gareth Wonfor
[/html]
[html]
<style>
#ulilohi {width:90%; margin:10px auto; border:0; font-family: arial, sans-serif;}
</style>

Sorry if the language is sometimes jumbled, Marit is sleepy. Read through it but brain may not be working fully! Wink

The councilwoman smiled warmly as they exchanged their usual polite phrases. There was somehow more meaning to them now, than before she came here. So seldomly did she find that anyone spoke AniWayan comfortably, that anyone speaking it with her with any ease at all was refreshing. Somehow, a piece of her former being resided in the little phrase exchange, and her longing self drank it for the short moment it lasted. It represented home. "Tosigwu," she responded, before their conversation quickly moved on.

He gestured towards materials as he spoke, and her eyes followed the movements of his hands. His proposition was not bad, one that she would never have thought of herself. Honestly, Ulilohi was in a sense handicapped when it came to understanding all the benefits of the ability to write, since she could not write herself. The idea appeared very useful to her, once she gave it a moment's thought. "What an excellent idea -- you can store as much of it as you want in the Town Hall. The shelves aren't even full as it is, so there should be space." A reading primer... that's what she needed, really. It was difficult to predict Aranck's reaction to a request by Ulilohi to teach her the art of writing. She knew he would not escape his duties and would more than likely agree to it, but she was always uncomfortable asking things of him. The male was so many years her senior, both in general age and in time with the Great Tribe council, that it seemed out of place to use her authority in interactions between them.

[/html]
Aranck was mildly amused that she seemed to savor their conversation in AniWayan so much. Though he supposed it was understandable since he didn’t think that many canines in AniWaya could speak the tongue of the Great Tribe. Speaking of the Great Tribe, he had something that had been on his mind a bit. "Ulilohi? What word have you heard from the Great Tribe about Maska? And when do you plan on telling the canines here?" His voice was soft so that no one could overhear their conversation since the councilwoman had asked if he could keep the news about Maska a secret.

She seemed pleased with his idea and his work on collecting things for a library of sorts. Her suggestion of storing it in the Town Hall was met with a thoughtful nod. "That should work, my dear." His tone as he called her "dear" was fond and fatherly. He knew her before she was a councilwoman of any sort and, although he was respectful of her position, he figured that it was nice to be called by less formal names and terms at times. He wondered if she knew how to read and write. Even in the Great Tribe, it was a bit rare to be able to read and write. It was still more common to be able to do so than here. He took the plunge, "Ulilohi, don't take this the wrong way, but can you read and write? If not I would love to teach you." His eyes were gentle and inviting.
[html]
<style>
</style>

It was difficult to maintain a mask of knowing when Aranck's questions were to the point like that. After all, truth was that Ulilohi had not heard anything since the much older council member had arrived. Her ears were lowered somewhat, not sure if she was disappointed in herself of the Great Tribe. "I honestly have not heard anything... I worry that Chief Aatu may either have too many troubles to send a messenger, or that he simply does not care." She suspected it was the former, but neither of her assumptions were very comforting. "Last I heard news, I heard them from you, unfortunately. Though... I don't think I will tell them of Maska's disappearance. I don't see why it is relevant — if he ever shows up here, he is a sickly little weakling and easily dealt with now that he does not have the backing of the Raven Guardians."

He appeared pleased with her suggestion and she nodded encouragingly, ignoring the title he gave her. Was it a loving endearment, or condescending? She did not have time to decide on whether or not she was offended or not before heat began to rise in her cheeks in response to his next question. Now that was condescending! Or was she merely touchy about it? There were a number of things she had never learned, and a number of things she had learned that most children did not, in all her time spent with her sick and dying aunt. "I uhm.. no, Aranck." She spoke his name, pointedly, before straightening her back somewhat, as if in an attempt of controlling the situation. "I never learned this. When my aunt was sick, as you would know, I spent my days with her rather than the Teachers." Aranck had served the Council at the same time as Ulilohi's aunt. She suspected he was very well-acquainted both with her aunt and her old childhood tendency to simply... slip away in the presence of Teachers. She could almost feel Atisia's eyes rolling on her shoulder.

[/html]
[html]

WC:000+ - OOC

Ulilohi had apparently heard nothing from his nephew and Aranck couldn’t help but feel angry with him. "He maybe punishing us for something." Of course he would advise his nephew to keep an open line of communication to the AniWayan Tribe but he chose not to tell the Councilwoman that. Instead he said, "I can send him a letter if you wish?" that was part of his job, was it not? "What would you do to him if he showed his face here again?"

He was mildly amused by the reaction is question caused for her and he gave a disarming smile. "I was just going to offer to teach you, as befitting my rank." He meant no harm but it was rather amusing how touchy she was. "I remember your aunt. She was a good person." His tone was warm and honest with his assessment of Ulilohi's aunt. "I've been teaching Luna some about the Great Tribe and AniWayan. I can hold lessons for the pups and any adults that wish to learn?" He would be teaching his grandniece anyway and Luna as well.

He regarded the councilwoman in front of him whom he regarded as a daughter or niece at times. "Is everything alright, Ulilohi? I'd be willing to help in anyway you need me to." His eyes weren’t as warm but definitely serious. If anything was bothering her and he could help, he would. He only hoped that she knew that.

Code by Kitty, Table by Sammiie & photo by Rezmutt@flickr

<style>
.Aranack1 .ooc {font-size:10px; font-style:italic;}
.Aranack1 p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.Aranack1 b {font-family:verdana; color:#fbc567; text-shadow:#fbc565 0px 0px 1px; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.Aranack1 {background-color:#004e93; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i45.tinypic.com/4ux4p0.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 230px 0px; border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:8px; }
.Aranack1-border {width: 500px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:8px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-family:verdana; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:500px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}</style>

[/html]
.ulijul b {font-weight:bold; color:#ffffff; letter-spacing:1px; }
.ulijul-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px;}
.ulijul p {text-indent:25px;padding:10px 25px 5px 26px;margin:0px;}
.ulijul {width:450px;border:2px solid #ffffff;background-image:url(http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac30 ... dc44e5.jpg);background-position:bottom center;background-repeat:no-repeat;padding-bottom:220px;background-color:#9588b3;text-align:justify;margin:10px;font-family:georgia, serif;font-size:11px;line-height:12px;color:#48327b;}
</style>

I am incredibly slow! Forgive me? <3
WC: 423

She shook her head gently at his insinuations. She knew he would know the Chief better than her, but she doubted that Aatu would keep anything from her willingly: it was not how her lead. "I do not know, though I hope not. Though, to be fair, I have not sent messengers in a while myself. The distances are great and I have few people to spare. I suspect he must make the same decisions." Still, the doubt gnawed at her. Aranck's offer was a good one: perhaps an answer would come more swiftly to him. "We may get a swifter response to a letter signed by you." she suggested. In reality, it should not be like that: she was the leader after all, though she assumed Aranck was sorely missed back home. It would be better if she at least heard something at all -- then again, so long as she didn't hear anything, she could do as she pleased here. Perhaps this had been Maska's temptation. Well, Ulilohi was not so pathetic as he: she merely enjoyed (and feared) the quiet and carefully joyful extra minutes that a child has, when it knows its parents have forgotten that it is still awake and well past its bedtime.

She did not even think before answering his question with a dry laugh. "I doubt he would be so unwise as to show his face here. But if he did, I would certainly see to it that justice was maintained. Shipping him off home was a poor idea; I doubt I would repeat that mistake."

He offered to teach her, and she maintained her posture, making note of his smiling. It could be his age or experience, or just the fact that he had served in the council alongside her aunt, but she had trouble not feeling rankwise intimidated, even if she was clearly ranked above him. Still, she was not incapable of seeing past it and calming her initial reaction, especially at the mention of her aunt: the brown-pelted councilwoman was still reminded every now and then of the void the old wolfess had left. Ulilohi nodded. "I would be grateful if you would teach me to read and write, Aranck. It would make my communication much easier, I would think." No matter how the asymmetry in their relation, she truly appreciated his attempts at reaching out. It was just awkward, no matter what. "Thank you, Udeloquay. I think learning to write would be the most helpful thing right now."

Image by v.max1978
Table by Rose

[/html]
OOC: Its OK. I've been slow lately too Tongue

IC: She talked about the distance for the reason for not sending anything and the fact that she would have to send someone and Aranck frowned slightly. "Why not use the messenger bird system? It shouldn’t be too difficult for them to be trained to go to the Great Tribe." His wasn't cruel or superior, he simply wanted to give her a suggestion that he believed could work very well. But she did agree that they might get a faster response if he wrote the message. "What would you like me to write?" He set aside his writings and got a fresh piece of paper.

Ulilohi expressed her feelings about Maska and Aranck gave dark look to the sky. "I had warned my nephew and the other councilmembers that…that…idiot was not fit to come here and take care of any problems AniWaya might have." He glanced at her slightly, gauging her reaction to his speech.

She however seemed appreciative of his offer and he gave her a beaming smile. "When would you like to start? I'm free whenever you are, my dear. We can work around your duties as a leader." His tone was serious and yet gentle. He knew that calling 'dear' too much might upset her, even though he didn’t mean anything by it.
.ulijul-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px;}
.ulijul {width:450px;border:2px solid #ffffff;background-image:url(http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac30 ... dc44e5.jpg);background-position:bottom center;background-repeat:no-repeat;padding-bottom:220px;background-color:#9588b3;text-align:justify;margin:10px;font-family:georgia, serif;font-size:11px;line-height:12px;color:#48327b;}
</style>

Yay! Makes me feel better WinkWink
WC: 519

Aranck suggested the messenger birds, and Ulilohi shook her head indoubt. "I think the distance is too great for the birds, or at least for training them. Someone would have to receive them in the other end, too, knowing what they are for. Perhaps in time we could train one, with the help of a messenger perhaps." It seemed an impossible task to Ulilohi, though, to even train just one bird for that distance. And not to mention to be sure that the bird even survived the trek: after all, it took wolves over a month to go there, and a bird with no provisions...? No, she could not see it as a possibility.

Aranck set a new piece of paper in front of him and asked what to write. She hesitated. "Hm, perhaps just ask for tidings? I would prefer they knew I intend to raise more council members here, as I am certain he will understand. I cannot run this place on my own." She paused. "Oh, and let him know we still do not train warriors or have full sovereignty. But I intend to remedy this." That was perhaps the part where she was most afraid that the chief would feel disappointed in her leadership abilities. What kind of leader was she, if she could not provide basic protection for her tribesmembers?

e spoke harshly of Maska and she was relieved that he did. Dryly, she agreed, at least in part. "Mmm..yes, I was not confident in the chief's decision then. I had hoped Maska would prove me wrong, or that Chief Aatu would at least send someone along with him, alas... we know that is not what happened." The female glanced to the west, where the burial mounds were, she knew. She had been here at their burials, and the memories of it haunted her sometimes. So many graves, so many Raven Guardians, dying to protect a tyrannical leader whose people and neighbors did not want. Some other had fallen too, and many wounded. She had walked right into a tragedy's final chapters, and could not shake its shadow.

She kept herself from frowning at his use of 'dear', but instead simply let it pass. Sometimes... it was good to have a reminder every once in a while that there were things like elders and masters that she should expect correction from, and advice, whether she wanted it or not. She should be grateful for it, regardless of the form it took, especially opposition. A leader with no critique could easily fall into the trap where Maska had fallen. "I am often free in the evenings, after making my daily route around the borders." She usually just re-braided her hair then for the relaxation of it. The time could just as well be used for something useful. "Should I prepare something for tomorrow evening, perhaps? Paper and ..?" Truthfully, she had no idea about anything, even what to name the things. She'd shied away from the whole subject ever since she was a child, too ashamed and proud to admit defeat.

Image by v.max1978
Table by Rose

[/html]
Ulilohi mentioned that it would talk a long time before they could even think about sending birds to the Great tribe, if they were even possible to do. Aranck gave a sigh. "It would be nice to have a quicker way of sending messages to the Great Tribe without sending a member to and fro." Although he had no idea how to go about doing that. Maybe the councilwoman before him would have an idea of what to do.

He quickly wrote what she was saying, or at least a shorthand version of it. He would clean it up later to send to his nephew. He only hoped that the boy would listen to him. He glanced up at raising more councilmembers and wondered briefly who she was considering to make part of the council. But he didn’t feel it was his place to ask. "I'll write this up better later." He then set the paper down.

The talk about Maska made him glower slightly, as well as sulking. "They should have listened to me. None of this would have happened if they took my advice of NOT sending that moron." So he was being a bit childish but that was OK. He was old enough that he didn’t care what others thought of him.

She frowned at him for calling her dear and he gave her an indulgent smile. He wasn’t going to change calling her that, especially now that he knew that she didn’t approve of it. But she talked about being free in the evenings and he grinned, "I'll come by tomorrow evening to start teaching you and will bring what you'll need." She agreed and they parted, with Aranck writing up the message better to be sent at the next available time.

The next evening, Aranck came over to Ulilohi's hut and knocked to get her attention. "Uli? I'm here for your lesson." He then patiently waited for her to either invite him in or let him in or whatever she decided.
</style>

I'm just snipping their conversation off so we don't roleplay a parallel timeline here Big Grin
WC: 296

The councilwoman nodded gravely. Messages were hard to get over to the Great Tribe, and every time they sent a messenger they risked their wellbeing, too. The trek was long and perilous, after all. One never knew what other inhabitants one could run into, either. "I agree wholeheartedly. For now, though... I see no other way."

He took note of her tidings and put the paper down; their conversation moved on to a wholly different subject, one she was not en part comfortable with. "I hope... I fear I will sound patronizing towards the Kalona, which is not my intent. But I hope perhaps he has learnt the look of one untrustworthy." In truth, the whole ordeal could have been avoided if only Chief Aatu had listened to his council, Ulilohi included. She would not say anything more than that, and they made arrangements to meet the next evening to begin training. "Donadagovi, Aranck." The councilwoman dipped her head as they parted, speaking the friendly phrase and leaving to return to her duties in the Town Hall.

---

He came by the evening after, and she was ready to begin then. She had given it much thought throughout the day, and was.. nervous was perhaps not it. Excited, though she wasn't sure how well she would fare. At least she was not learning to speak the language, too -- that would have seemed like an impossible task to her. Exiting the hut, she greeted him warmly. "Unalihelitseti again." She paused at the door. "I was hoping we could sit by the Great Fire -- the evening is good and it will be more pleasant than within the Town Hall." Smiling, she gestured towards the Great Fire and the logs that were placed around it to house sitting attendants.

Image by v.max1978
Table by Rose

[/html]