cellar door
[html]

Things had rushed by in one remarkable blur. Ahren didn’t know how he got Jasper here or where exactly here was, but the boy needed someone besides his father and he needed to be inside. A coyote had come and helped him, and they had gotten the boy settled. Only when Jasper fell asleep did Ahren venture away from his side, and out into the cooling air. It was going to rain again soon, but how soon that was he could not tell. He had drawn the rolled cigarettes from his bag and sparked one up, taking a deep breath. Something was terribly wrong, and he didn’t know what he could do. He didn’t know much of anything anymore. “Thank you,” he said suddenly, sparing a glance at the man who had followed him out.

[/html]
[html]
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... rel/t2.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

“You're welcome,” he answered quietly, pulling the door to the shack shut. It had been weird when Jasper hadn't turned up for a couple of days, but now Laurel fully understood why. Nevertheless, he was still glad he had been able to help. “I'm Laurel, by the way. I'm guessing you're the Ahren I've heard a bit about?” He certainly looked like he could have been the boy's father and just from the way that the smoking man acted towards Jasper, Laurel had every notion to believe that he was. Whatever it was that Jasper had was troubling and it was hard for Laurel to keep the concern from his posture and expression. Especially when it had already proved to be quite disabling… leaving him to silently wonder when Laurent would come around.

[/html]
[html]

He breathed in smoke and held it, exhaling through his nose. His eyes had turned away again, dark and brooding—except for the bad eye, which remained glazed blue-white and no longer showed emotion. Something was wrong, terribly wrong, and he had no idea what to do. It was not until the stranger spoke that Ahren’s one ear turned towards him, and his head followed suit. “Yeah,” he said, pausing to take another drag. A few more seconds passed before he continued. “I don’t want to leave him alone like that.” He did not ask what he was implying, knowing that regardless, he would not take no for an answer.

[/html]
[html]
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... rel/t2.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

He was an interesting man, to say the least. His thoughts were no doubt muddied about his son, but Laurel couldn't help but wonder about him just based on his appearance alone. Slightly clothed, one-eyed and scarred up; always interesting in his eyes. It was of course, his one good eye that reminded Laurel of someone else he had met, but knew now wasn't the time for discussion about that. “Well, I won't make you leave. It wouldn't be right,” he said, letting his gaze carry out to the rest of the campsite passively. “It wouldn't bother anybody around here if you stuck around either, whether it's just for a day or until the kid gets better.” No, the last thing Laurel wanted was to push him out of the area, not with a brewing madness going on around them. “Hell, stay forever if you want, Jasper's been wanting to ask you something like that for a while.” It had after all, been one of the reasons why Laurent and Jasper both came, on the terms that he'd take in any of their family that came along eventually.

[/html]
[html]

“I’ll consider it,” he said lowly, studying the area. It was a peculiar campsite, full of odds and ends and a million stories. He focused on the cigarette and not on the fact his son might be dying. Two children had been lost before, and he did not want to see that happen again. A faint ringing reached his ears, but he ignored the signs. “Listen, Laurel,” he turned back, red eye burning. His voice had dropped a dangerous notch. “If anything happens to him, I’m holding you and this pack responsible.” Jasper had never been this sick before, and Ahren had all ready taken steps to avenge the wrongs done to the boy.

[/html]
[html]

Getting threatened was nothing new to the coyote, but it still sent a chill down his spine when he met the younger man's gaze. It was that kind of seriousness, an internal fire that burned inside that told volumes about what kind of person he was; a look that he wasn't afraid to die if it meant putting everything back in the black. Where exactly had he seen that gaze before? “I understand,” but maybe he really didn't. He knew all about what it meant to watch out for one another, but he hadn't even noticed Jasper acting funny when he left. Or when he didn't come around, why he hadn't been more concerned. Maybe that was something that needed justifying. “If there's anything else you need, don't hesitate to ask.”

[/html]
[html]

Slowly, a half-mad smile crept across Ahren’s face. No, he didn’t think that Laruel fully knew what he meant. He had no idea of what Ahren had been, or done, or would do. In some way, this was best. They were opening their arms to a man they did not fully understand. “I’ll be back later, I have a few things I need to grab,” he said, finishing off the cigarette and flicking it away. It hit the ground and continued to smoke. Ahren shouldered his bag and started off, casting a glance up at the graying clouds above.

[/html]
[html]

He would always wonder, but he would never ask unless it became too much to stand. The past didn't matter there as far as Laurel was concerned. Even as much as he tried to avoid meddling in the affairs of others, it seemed like he had a slew of them himself now. Maybe it came with the territory, maybe it was because so many of them were from the other side of that mountain. He didn't really know and as the blonde faded into the fog and the forest, Laurel sighed. His interest dropped and ultimately, he decided it was better not to find out things. Right then he thought he'd rather put his thoughts into hoping Jasper got better, knowing that if he didn't, more problems would lie on the horizon and the last thing he really wanted was to deal with grieving friends.

[/html]