Alone?
Her breathing was labored as she jauntily traversed the terrain, each step light, leaving little to no sign that she had been there at all. Each compact muscle rippled finely beneath her ordinary pelt, like gears grinding beneath a sheet of metal in a machine. Fatigue plagued every fiber of her being, but she continued with the single most powerful motivation a canine could possibly have pushing and pushing her forward. The desire to be part of something greater, to be part of a pack, was her impetus. She could not bear to be alone for any longer.

A strange, pungent odor clashed with the deserted earthiness of her environment. Her bi-pigmented gaze skimmed the vicinity as her gait slowly declined from a mild trot to a sluggish crawl. Her tail stiffened, bristling as it hovered parallel to her body. She could feel her body chemistry begging to transform into her second, more powerful state, but it was an impulse she denied herself. She was far more agile in this form, and in case she had to make a quick get-away she'd need speed and size not to work against her.

As she continued, the scent grew so unavoidable that she had to come to a complete halt in her approach. Whatever was in the direction she was going had made a point of making a boarder, and she didn't intend to pass it. But what else could she do? She couldn't turn back now. Bewildered, her hind legs slid under her and she sat, shuffling her forelegs and thinking about what to do... Her mind was filled with images of what might lay just beyond, perhaps others like her, or perhaps something so hellishly devious that a single encounter with it may end her existence in a second or two. This conflict lead her to dwelling for much longer than she initially expected. Hours passed like minutes while she wandered in vivid, and occasionally gory, fantasies.
[html]
<style>
.naniko .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.naniko p {padding:2px 0px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.naniko b {color:#FFFFFF; letter-spacing:-.2px; text-shadow:#000000 2px 2px 2px; }
.naniko {background-color:#1e252b; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... naniko.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #FFFFFF; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; line-height:12px; color:#141b21; width:375px; text-align:justify; }
.naniko-border {width:379px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto;}
.naniko .inner {margin:10px 10px 190px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... nikobg.png); border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:20px;-moz-border-radius:20px; -webkit-border-radius:20px;}
</style>

Hey there Smile Naniko's always in Optime form.

She'd only just managed to wash the rest of the blood out of her fur when the she caught wind of a brand new scent. Naniko gave a growl of frustration, flicking water off of her paws and claws with a quick snap of her elbows. She and Macer had really taught that intruder a lesson...they had deliberately ignored the border after initially discovering it, and had chosen to venture deep into the territory. It was inexcusable, and the punishment that they had given had well-fit the crime. She took the pack's safety very seriously, and saw the dark wolf's intrusion as justification for her near-constant paranoia. Since the Inferni spy had breached their borders the year before, she'd been ever-vigilant in her daily treks of the border.

The pack had a few safeguards to protect against intruders, such as the crows and her own owl companion Ta'Tuq, but they could not be everywhere and could not see everything that was out there. That was why she'd ordered the pack to dig trenches as well, pit-fall traps that would catch those who chose to venture too far in without permission. Members of the pack knew their locations and how to avoid them for the most part...but an outsider would not. She passed a few of these traps on her way back out to the border, padding quickly toward the odd scent that she'd caught. Naniko tightened the weapons-belt she wore, making sure it was cinched properly before coming out of the woods and toward the outsider.

It seemed as if this one had more respect than the last. They had come into the border area but had not crossed it, something that greatly pleased the Angela to see. The large alabaster wolf ran a clawed hand over her long, silver braid, making herself a bit more presentable as she approached. "You, there. Do you have business in Anathema?" Perhaps they were a friend of a packmate...or someone looking for that loner that she and Macer had taken out that morning. "I am Naniko D'Angelo, leader of this pack."

Table by Jenny!
[/html]
She heard her before she saw her, the rhythmic two-step advance of the ivory leader as she made her way towards the boarder. Sterling instinctively withdrew, keeping a good ten feet between the two of them. It wouldn't make much of a difference but it gave her a sense of comfort. Her ears slanted back slightly as she replied, "I was--am, looking for a... place of residence. My search brought me here. I sincerely hope that I'm not intruding, and that this is not too much on an inconvenience for you."

She watched with acute curiosity, studying every inch of this stranger who claimed to be in charge of a much larger grouping. This was her first time interacting with anyone of the same species since her mother passed away. She swallowed hard, throat so dry that it felt as if she'd just drunk sand. This may be a new start, she thought as a small candle of hope was lit within, growing as she imagined the many possibilities; maybe there was an entire pack, like a family, waiting just out of view; all the food you could imagine; meadows as large and peaceful as they come; a city full of life, perhaps. But suddenly that little flame was swallowed up by the gaping maw of despair and paranoia. What if this wolf, although she didn't look it, decided to kill her? What if her journey ended here. What if this was the last thing she'd see, do, feel...

Within moments she'd felt and thought so many things, and it left her insides trembling, though her visage remained steeled from her internal conflicts. Her tail drooped slightly, a mere precaution, to diminish any possible threat that she may have presented.
[html]
<style>
.naniko b {color:#FFFFFF; letter-spacing:-.2px; text-shadow:#000000 2px 2px 2px; }
.naniko {background-color:#1e252b; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... naniko.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #FFFFFF; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; line-height:12px; color:#141b21; width:375px; text-align:justify; }
.naniko .inner {margin:10px 10px 190px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... nikobg.png); border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:20px;-moz-border-radius:20px; -webkit-border-radius:20px;}
</style>

She looked around sharply, trying to discern whether the female was alone or if she had brought anyone else with her. Naniko was not a canine who was quick to trust, especially with the events that had happened that morning. Still, she hoped that she didn't look too fearsome to this outsider. There were a few gentler souls out there, and it took all kinds to make a pack. She was certain that she hadn't gotten all of the blood off of her, despite her thorough washing. It would take a few days to get that faint red color from her pelt.

The sound of footsteps behind her made her turn away from the female before she could answer. She would not leave her back to her, though, and only turned enough to where she could see behind her. "Who's there?" She demanded. Another canine stepped from the brush, the very large gray form of her youngest son. He came to her in his lupus form, giving a few small yips of excitement and greeting. His tail remained tucked between his legs, a sign of respect to his mother and pack leader as he approached. A pink tongue came out to wash her hand, and she patted him on the head. "My son. How was the hunt?"

Hunting was something that the boy had been struggling with for a long time, though he was now a full adult of the pack. He whined slightly, ears going back. "Nothing, mother. I didn't catch a thing." His silver eyes stared at the ground now in shame, but she shook her head. "You won't always. We can speak of this at another time, Severus...we have a newcomer in our midst." She looked to her son once more, gesturing him forward. He needed practice at addressing newcomers, and today would be his day. The lanky wolf kept his distance from Sterling as she had from them, looking nervously between her and his mother. "What's your name, stranger? I'm Severus. D-Do you have any skills that would benefit the pack? Like me...I'm not very good at hunting...but I can do other things to help out"

Table by Jenny!
[/html]
Once again, curiosity overtook the brunt of her emotions and her ears perked. Shuffling her paws briefly, she spoke, voice a bit less soft but nonetheless submissive, "My name is Sterling, it is a great pleasure to meet you, Serverus." She paused, mulling over any special "talent" she might posses. "I've been able to support myself for quite some time... I'm not an atrocious hunter, I suppose I'm able to make more or less attractive jewelry..." she said, voice a little higher than a whisper.
She studied Serverus, noting how conscious he was of his lower ranking than his mother. It was almost amusing, to see someone so welcome be so weary. It also made her even more suspicious of how strict Naniko's leadership was. The pink hue to the female's coat had initially frightened her, blood no doubt. She wondered if it belonged to the last trespasser they'd dealt with.

Her ears twitched as she became aware that they were forwarded, and nonchalantly she lowered them, another gesture of passiveness. She watched Serverus intently, though she remained more alert to the leader's presence than the young adult. Her muscles seemed to spasm with anxiety. Every second dragged painfully on. She could almost cringe at the overwhelming anticipation she felt. Had she said enough? Would her skills permit her to stay? She prayed this wouldn't come down to a fight, judging the distance between she and they she determined with absolution that she wouldn't have enough time to turn and outrun them, especially since they new the layout of the land--though she already had a general escape route. When you're as paranoid as Sterling, you always have some sort of a fall back plan.
[html]
<style>
</style>

The young adult was a member of the diplomat tier, but he was only just a beginner. Naniko had high hopes for him, as she did for all of her children. Severus' brothers, Judas and Octavius, were both functioning members of the pack and she expected the same things out of him despite his more reserved disposition. The diplomat tier was a good place for him because of his genuine and kind heart. He'd always have the pack in mind and cared deeply about Anathema and its members' wants and needs.

His tail wagged when she answered the question, uncurling slightly as he faced the outsider. She had answered the question and he wondered if her skills would be enough to allow her entrance to the pack. They could at least walk alongside her into the lands, if her answer was viewed positively by Naniko. Severus looked to the Angela before replying. "I see. I think that those are good traits to have...we have young members who are unable to hunt. We keep a cache of food ready for them so that the mothers of the pack do not have to hunt extra and wear themselves out. And we have a craftsman rank for those who are interested in jewelry making and things like that."Members could give one another gifts to keep morale up in the pack.

He wouldn't add that he too occasionally ate from that cache in secret when he was unable to bag any game. "Come into Anathema with us, and we can talk more as we walk." He invited. The silver wolf turned toward the lands, giving her a small smile. "We really aren't too scary...we just never know if a stranger is a friend or a foe, at first." He began to pad into the lands, and Naniko gave a nod of approval to Sterling and her son before following him and speaking once more. "We have more than enough room for one more, especially one who can feed herself. We'll show you to the caves, where most of us choose to den, and if you are pleased then we can discuss making your stay permanent." The Angela said. They could discuss the rank tiers with her, as well as a bit of her background, as they walked. "It's just you, then? Not running from anyone who'd put us in danger?"

Table by Jenny!
[/html]
She watched his visage brighten and the tension they both carried lessen, but she remained as vigilant as before, just a smidgen less concerned. Nodding curtly, she fell into step beside Severus, ears as active as a deer's, straining to pick up on anything since it'd be rude to look back. "This is very kind of you, to show me around," she rasped, eyes dancing through the clashing shades of green and brown, then back to either the Angela or Severus. "Yes, I do believe it's just me. I haven't met anyone like us since I left home... So no, no one is tailing me."

Her heart was pounding, blood thudding deafeningly in her ears as they ventured deeper into the territory. She had a faint impulse to jump every time a twig cracked or leafs rustled. Her paws delicately settled on barren plots of dark soil, allowing her to silently follow. Her tail was limp at her heels, and she was wondering what would happen next.
[html]
<style>
</style>

She'd made it past the first hurdle, the initial approval of his mother. Severus continued to smile at her, but soon became unsure of whether his grin was encouraging or just plain creepy. That thought made him quit, his eyes moving to stare down at the ground as they walked instead. He wasn't sure if he was still in charge of the group or if Naniko was going to talk, so he remained quiet to give his mother another chance to talk if she wished to. He didn't want to step on any toes, after all!

"Anyone like us?" The alabaster wolf echoed, unsure of what Sterling had meant. They weren't in danger, so she wasn't terribly concerned...but she wanted to make sure. "We house all sorts of canines, from various backgrounds. Mainly misfits and those who have nowhere else to go, though we are willing to take in most anyone. We just ask that they work toward the greater good and help the pack in whatever way that you can." She explained. "We have many different rank tiers, depending on your interests."

They reached the mouth of the cave and Severus jaunted in first, trying to show her the way. Naniko waited for Sterling to come in next then took up the rear. The cave system had two main entrances that led down twisting, torch-lit halls that branched off in different directions. This one led down the hall toward the denning area, her destination of choice. "Many of these dens have been abandoned and are available...it'd be your choice whether you wanted to stay in here or try to find your own den or house outside of the caves." She explained as they went. "There's a joining ceremony that I will need to perform, but if you find Anathema to your liking then we'd be happy to have you. If you agree, please extend your paw."

Table by Jenny!
[/html]
When she looked at Severus he had been grinning like petroleum jelly was on his teeth. She didn't question it too much, it seemed like a friendly gesture. In a way she found it comforting that he would even bother to try to be nice. Her heart began to drum loudly as they entered the cave. Dark didn't bother her, but the fact that she was closed in did. She liked it here, so she'd have to get over it. "Like us," she reiterated, looking intently at the ivory braid that cascaded down the Angela's back, then averting her attention to the pathways before her, caught a few glimpses into occupied and unoccupied dens. She wondered about the various backgrounds of the pack members, potential murders and thieves and plunderers... It was horrifying, yet undeniably intriguing. "I intend to make myself useful," she murmured, eyes still wandering as she padded along, her focus on any single thing being rare as she tried to take in every inch of this new world. Her ears swiveled back at mention of sticking her paw out being equivalent to saying she wanted to join, and she sluggishly came to a stop. Her paws collected themselves as she about-faced, eyes drifting up to Naniko's and ears laying flat with mixed emotions. She knew impulsive actions had their consequences, a warning her mother had burnt into her brain since she was young. "Can I have a day to think about it, to explore a little more?" she inquired, voice meek, thick with fear of swift rejection. A joining ceremony? Her heart jumped into her throat, she silently hoped her enthusiasm didn't show.
[html]
<style>
</style>

The Rite of Agares, as we call it, is performed when any unrelated canine joins the pack. Here is the joining page on our website if you wanna check it out Smile Do you want to have a time-lapse happen in this thread, to where she thinks about things and returns with an answer? Or something else? I can't write a post with Severus separately from Naniko, as he is her NPC and she'd have to be in the post as well.

As much as Naniko wanted things to go smoothly and for the transition to be over with, she could appreciate the desire for time to think things over and make a true decision. She had made quite a few rash decisions of her own in her lifetime. "We would not want a canine who didn't want to be here. I find your request of more time to be acceptable, and you may remain in the territory as long as Severus or I accompanies you. We don't let strangers walk around here without a pack member present."

It was one of the laws that she, Alaki, and Aeron had come up with in regard to pack security. They could not allow a stranger that they did not know and that did not smell of the pack to walk around...for the pack's safety and for that newcomer's safety as well. Members would attack any outsider who was not accompanied, thinking that they were a trespasser. She still held the recent signs of such a struggle on her fur; they had not stopped to ask the canine if they were coming in because they wanted a view of the lands before they joined...they'd just attacked. He had crossed the border knowingly, and that was the consequence in Anathema.

Table by Jenny!
[/html]
OOC: That sounds bothersome. I could just do this...? *points to post* Is that okay?

Well that explains the blood, she'd thought to herself. Her nails raked into the earth, leaving deep wounds in the surface as she thought about the decision. "I'd hate to keep him from his duties," she said, averting her gaze absently for a moment before fixing her eyes on Severus, then redirecting them to his mother, Naniko. "I want to be part of Anathema," she declared, voice not as uncertain and soft as before. She lifted her right foreleg, extending her paw.
[html]
<style>
</style>

Hahah, that works Smile Welcome to the pack! There will be a slight bit of powerplay in this post, of Naniko making the cut and holding their paws together for the ceremony. PM me what den you'd like? Here is the Howling Caverns map! We can continue this with her picking a den and such, or end it whenever you'd like ^^

She couldn't explain things any other way, really. The safety and security of the pack were of the utmost importance to her...if a member couldn't feel safe in their own home, then where could they feel safe? They had enough canines around to keep a good watch on the border, and quite a few had shown up to help her deal with the newcomer. To hold him down while she worked out what she wanted to do to to really sink that message in. It was almost too bad that the canine hadn't lasted through it to tell others of the horrors he had experienced there at their pack borders.

Naniko was about to open her mouth to protest that Severus didn't actually have that many duties, but was interrupted by the female's next words. So she did want to join them. "Alright." She removed the ceremonial dagger from the sheath at her hip, Severus watching her actions with an intense silver gaze. She took Sterling's paw in one hand and turned it upward so she could make a small slice across the largest paw-pad. She made a similar slice across her own, joining them together and holding them there for a few seconds. A few red droplets dripped down to the soil, a mixture of the Angela and new Zepar's blood. "And it is done." She released Sterling's paw, giving her hand a few licks. "Welcome to Anathema, Sterling. Welcome home."

Table by Jenny!
[/html]
OOC: Den 1 looks good, near an E-Exit and close to the Workshop. c: I wouldn't mind continuing if you don't. Oh, and do you know if the Anathema Adoptables page is updated? I've been looking to adopt.

Sterling's ears fell back and her jaw locked as the incision was made and then her blood was 'mixed' with that of the Angela. She cradled the paw up against her side, since she didn't want to expose the fresh wound, even as minor as it was, to the germs that resided in the soil. Her head spun with excitement. She was so happy it made her almost dizzy to think about it all. She was home at last. Clearing her throat, she allowed herself a moment to collect her many thoughts before speaking; "Thank you, so much..." she began. "The other members...are they as accepting as you two are?" A shiver ran down the length of her body. The thought of being alienated was just unbearable. She also pondered over what she would do to aid the pack. She was only vaguely familiar with the landscape, so that might be a slight impediment to her hunting efficiency. She had been eyeing some plants on the route here that could be used as dyes, so maybe a craft would be a good way to transition in and get to know others.
[html]
<style>
</style>

Sure! We'll get that updated ASAP. And it doesn't have the most up to date information on it, no. It's best to look at the Open Characters topic for the most up to date information on adoptables all over the board Smile And feel free to PM me if you have any questions. You won't be able to have a second character here for a couple of weeks, but then you can adopt! Here's a link to our board-wide character procedures.

"No, thank you. New members and puppies are the lifeblood of a pack. As for the others...I can't vouch for them, but as long as you don't piss them off they should be civil. There are many here who have kind hearts, I think you will find." There were also many canines who had sour tempers, such as Alaki or Aeron. Sometimes canines acted differently around her than they would around others, so she couldn't really say if they would be nice and kind to this newcomer or if they'd chew her up and spit her back out at some point in time. Naniko got along with most everyone, so long as they were following the pack laws and showed respect.

"Is there anything we can get for you to start you off? Each den has a few furs in it for pack use, so you're welcomed to them. Otherwise, we mainly get items from the human city or through trade. Many members choose to spruce up their den with old human artifacts or human comforts" She explained. "You're not really expected to contribute anything for the first week or so that you're here...we just want you to rest up and get acquainted with the territory first. Most come here malnourished and skinny as Hell" She shared. The pack members' health was very important to her. A sick pack member was an unhappy one, and she wanted them all to be fit and to maintain themselves as best they could.

Table by Jenny!
[/html]
OOC: Coolio. :3 3 more weeks I believe, and 45 IC posts... I guess I'll know a ton of people before I get to have another character. Bolded things to make speech easier to find.

Sterling's ears perked as a ravenous murmurs began to emanate from her stomach. Embarrassment and shock tainted her visage and she looked down. Swallowing a knot in her throat that felt like a jawbreaker, she said, "I think I'll be able to salvage for myself, but thank you. I'm in no way emaciated or injured so hopefully I can start to help at dawn. Would you be kind enough to point me in the direction of the most lively part of the territory so that I could get a feel for where I'd be hunting?" She was somewhat tired, but it was nothing a nap wouldn't settle. There was still plenty of time left in the day for her to attempt to hunt and hopefully situate herself in this new environment. With so many mouths to feed she knew the foliage wouldn't be anywhere near as lush as back home, but she'd make do as she'd done on the venture here. She also wanted to get caught up with a few traditions of the pack, how they did things would be very important to learn that way she wouldn't accidentally offend or emit a vibe of idiocy. Maybe if she brought in enough of a haul she'd be accepted, maybe even blend right in. That, she told herself, would be best. Absentmindedly she began to stretch in a very supple way, pulling on her leg muscles by flexing her digits as far as they'd go. Adrenaline pumped through her veins like venom through a snake. She was ready to hunt, to fill her stomach and the others's as well. It dawned on her that she had no idea of what game resided here, or what predators. She knew if she remained alert she'd probably be okay.
[html]
<style>
</style>

Yeah! :33 Do we want to end this one with Nani pointing her in the right direction, then?

The female had been in need of a smoke that morning and hadn't yet had it. It helped with her appetite and with keeping her sour mood somewhat settled. Naniko also suffered from insomnia, meaning that she was up at all hours of the day and night for the most part and was tired for most of the day. The plant helped keep her on a good schedule and allowed her to sleep at night if she smoked enough of it. It had a bitter sort of taste, but she didn't mind that if it meant that she could get a good night's rest. It was difficult to go through a day of the things that she had to handle as a leader when she was tired and irritable.

"I believe that the foothills would be a good place to start. There are plenty of valleys and forested areas that tend to attract wildlife, as well as a nice creek. That's where we do some of our fishing, in the deeper parts of it...if you're interested in that." Fishing was very useful, especially in the winter when prey was more scarce. Naniko personally preferred fish over game, though she would never complain about receiving either. "In the summer months we often catch fish in buckets and bring them back to the caves; we have an underground spring that we use to house them until winter, when we eat more fish than anything else." She explained, pointing back behind her to one of the other tunnels that led away from this hall. "But just to get started...probably the foothills, which are just south of here."

Table by Jenny!
[/html]
OOC: Yeah. We can end it here if you'd like. xD Hunting time~

Sterling nodded gratefully, slowly turning and then walking off, tail swinging at her heels like a pendulum. Her nerves made her gait tight and rough, ready to respond at the drop of a hat. She pressed herself against the side of the cave wall, learning the bumps and grooves as she passed aperture after aperture. Finally one opening was larger and more distinct than the others, it was a source of the light that filtered through and ricocheted into a tunnels to make sight possible. She anxiously veered towards it, and had to squint to adjust to the harsher light. It then dawned on her that she had no idea where the foothills were. She'd have to inquire about that too, but she didn't want to be a bigger bother to Naniko and her son. Maybe someone inside might know. She sat down at the mouth of the cave, tail curling around her thigh as she waited and thought. Her ears were forward and he eyes alert, all senses coming to life more passionately than before. If anyone came this way, she wanted to see/hear/smell them before they saw/heard/smelled her.