A New Day, A New Start
OOC: Feel free to PM me for a plotted thread. c: Post Length: 3183 Total Word Count: 3251

It started with blackness, a dark consuming maw of noir that terrified every molecule in her body. It felt as if her heart had been jump-started as her body lurched upward, legs instinctively finding their way beneath her and paws planting themselves firmly, unshakable pillars set in place only by natural fear. Her pupils shrunk to the size of pinheads, gaze panning around as she slowly adjusted to her new environment. Caves; who would have known that waking up in the dark would end up on your list of top ten phobias. Her rapid breathing became slow and even, ears so far forward and erect that she could hear the shallow breathing of another body in the den adjacent to her own. Every hair on her body was bristled, she was swelled to nearly double her size and looked as if she'd just been blow-dried. She threw her body into a series of violent shakes, starting at her head and making its way down to her tail. It was a strange behavior which she would have thought would puff out her fur, but instead soothed the frayed strands of fur and set them back into place. Inhaling slowly, she began to shift into her Optime form, cringing as she wished the loudness of the process would be muted, but it never did, and she was worried about disturbing the others. Who was she kidding, she didn't give a flying (insert bad word here) if she woke them up, she was worried about what would happen to her, a lowly new member, when a swarm of grumpy wolves were disturbed by her this early. The sounds her body emitted sounded similar to the torture scenes of the Saw movies, minus the screams of the unfortunate ungrateful human that was being drilled into, torn apart, or sawed in half. Living on her own she'd had a lot of free time, most of which she spent sifting through human artifacts, many of which she kept. She'd inhabited an average human abode and came to find that they had life handed to them on a silver platter. So many things were available at the press of a button, literally. In the time she'd lived at home and on her own she was able to almost master the English language, and spoke a crippled bit of Spanish and French, which greatly helped her out in this colder new world where almost all the human remains were in French. Once the transformation was done, she rose to her hind two legs, weary of the slightly low roof, and began to go through her satchel, pulling out her worn Superman t-shirt and pulling on a pair of loose dark grey sweat pants. Once dressed, she dug through her bag for her butterfly knife. She secured the black durable-plastic and pulled it out, parting the two heavy parts of the handle and flipping them open to reveal the blade that was nearly invisible in the low lighting. Sheathing it again, she crammed it in her pocket and then latched the bag, swinging it over her shoulder and then crouching down as she slid out of the mouth of her den, barely avoiding hitting her head on the opening as entered the much larger hall. She placed a padded digit against the wall, trailing along it until it turned inward. She sucked in a breath and turned with it, unknowingly ending up in the Craft Room.
[html]
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy46 ... iustab.png); background-color:#000f33; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; text-align:justify;">OOC Hiiii! ^_^ WC 400+

Make a wish when your childhood dies.

After his little accident the other day lighting the torch had been a near impossible task, let alone holding it. His burned and bandaged hands were stiff and swollen beneath the gauze and burn salve the healer had dressed them in, yet still he managed to clutch the torch as he moved through the Anathema caverns. Instead of holding the beacon aloft and high away from him he held it between both hands, his fingers unwilling to clasp around it firmly enough to clutch it in one. Having spent so much time lurking through the shadowy hallways when he was a mopey puppy, Scorpius could easily find his way in the dark, and the sconces that lit the halls were more than enough to see by, but the man had that strange affinity for fire – a thing that had hurt him several times now – and chose to carry a torch, like always.

The glow was dim and far off, barely glancing around a twist in the hall at first, but it soon glowed brighter as he walked toward the common rooms. He had a satchel full of brush and kindling slung over one shoulder, most of the contents he had already emptied in one of the other store rooms but now was on his way to deposit some of the branches that were better for whittling in the craft room. He had pilfered some of the supplies to make torches a week ago, and wanted to restock the shelf before they were missed.

But when he stepped into the room he was surprised to find someone else there. Not that it was uncommon to run into a fellow pack member in the Howling Caverns, but because it was a woman he had not met before. The light of his torch poured into the art workshop from the entrance way in which he stood, the flames dancing brilliantly atop the dry wood. His visible eyebrow quirked, but half of his expression was hidden beneath the partial skull mask that he wore.

“I know most of the pack, but I don’t know you.” was his stupid greeting. He was nonchalant, uncaring and not as dubious as it could have been.“Who are you?” It was unlikely for someone to have breeched the borders and gotten into the caverns without being caught by now, so he presumed she was supposed to be here and did not leap to arms, but still judgmental ruby eyes stared at her as though they could pierce down to her very core.

[/html]
OOC: Hey. c: Post Length: 1600 Total Word Count: 1644

She had been alert to a new presence even before it spoke, the aperture being dimly illuminated at first, then increasingly so as a the male entered. Sterling had put her back to the wall as she turned, eyes narrowing as they transitioned to accommodate the significantly better visibility. Her fingers twitched anxiously as she studied the black wolf, his mask being particularly interesting. She didn't let her eyes lingered on any part of him for long, and she spoke clearly, her morning sourness keeping her from being as pleasant as she usually was. "I wouldn't expect you to know me, my name is Sterling," she eyed him, folding her arms over her chest and then continuing with a somewhat icy undertone, "But you know, it's usually common courtesy to introduce yourself before asking for someone else's identity." She was somewhat aware that she shouldn't be so mouthy, but right now sleep deprivation and confusion clouded her judgement. Her tail lashed at her heels curiously, through her visage remained tainted with bitterness. She blinked, raising her free hand to massage her temples. "Look, I'm sorry I had no right to talk to you that way..." she muttered, trailing off. Looking up, she noticed his heavily bandaged hand, and how the muscles in his fingers seemed reluctant to grasp the base of the torch he held. She raised a brow inquisitively at it, bi-hued irises watching him intently for answers. I bet he knows how to get out of here... she thought. She figured she could explore the foothills and see if she could bring in any kills.
[html]
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy46 ... iustab.png); background-color:#000f33; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; text-align:justify;">WC 300+

Her retort was just about as gracious as his original comment, but in response he just chuckled a little and gave a half smile. She was a little charming, for sure. He turned and walked toward one of the shelving units and started to rearrange things that did not appear to need reshuffling. “It’s also usually common courtesy to know who you’re lipping off to before you do it.” His eyes turned to her and he looked at her sideways, without turning his head. He paused for a minute before turning to find an empty sconce on the wall to hang the torch in so he could empty his pack. “I hear it’s also common courtesy not to stare at someone’s injuries.” He gave another half smile, the torch now propped up in the rung on the wall, and turned toward her. “I would apologize and shake your hand like a proper gentleman, but…” he held up his bandaged hands, which she had already seen, and shrugged.

There been no actual offense to his station, because he and the woman were the same rank and he was not interested in pretending to be higher on the social ladder than he really was, so he left it at that. “Just a word of advice, you might want to be more careful about who you talk back to until people get to know you better.” He opened his pack and began emptying the contents, placing the rough wooden sticks on the shelf. His mangled left ear bent towards her as she started talking again, and he looked over to see her looking a bit exasperated and apologetic.

He watched her for a moment and then gave a lopsided smile. “I’m Scorpius D’Angelo,” he offered her a wave in lieu of a hand shake for obvious reasons. “Son of Naniko D’Angelo.” When he said his mother’s name there was a deep affection in his voice, and his eyes almost appeared dreamy for a moment. He loved his mother, their Angela, dearly. The look melted away after a moment when he turned back to the shelf to see he had finished stocking it.

“So, what brings you here?” he didn’t mean Anathema, he knew it was the most alluring pack in all of Nova Scotia. “Come to craft something?”

[/html]
WC: 1496

She wanted to beat her head against the cave wall, anything but admit why she was here--to scream until her lungs collapsed and then have a reason not to tell. She wanted to turn tail and abandon ship, but the reason that kept her grounded was woven into the fabric of what had brought her here. Prolonging it, she said, "Pleasure to meet you, Scorpius. So, won't you tell me what's up with your hand?" She knew she had dodged his question and didn't feel too fantastic about being evasive. "I..." she started strong, but after a moment lapsed into a wave of gibberish. She figured she'd make it fast and to the point and then maybe she'd retain what dignity she held for herself. "I got up but it was really dark and I have as great a sense of direction as an earth worm and I'm not really sure how I got here, because I'm as lost as lost can be." She downplayed the breath she sucked in to replace what she'd lost in that long run-on sentence. She was waking up and more nervous/anxious than sassy. She was watching valuable time lapse by and she was still no closer to finding her way out than before. She exhaled slowly to calm herself, she wasn't quite comfortable here yet and it had her as tense as a mattress spring. She also hadn't retrieved her crossbow from her room. Stupid stupid stupid stupid! she chastised herself, knowing she'd have to backtrack. She felt like she was running on a treadmill, working to get forward but going no where.
[html]
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy46 ... iustab.png); background-color:#000f33; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; text-align:justify;">WC 300+

He stopped what he was doing and just looked at her for a minute, smiling almost handsomely as his ruby eyes scanned her face. The apprehension and sheepishness he saw there was endearing, almost, and he realized at once that the girl was kind of cute. The look turned into that half smile he got every time he looked at someone he appreciated, though sometimes it accidentally came across as condescending. He just stood there, looking at her for a moment with an arched brown, his eyes speaking silent words. Maybe if you spill, I'll spill.

And he watched as she mustered her dignity and strength, and the in one fast breath she was out with it. He chuckled softly. It would be easy to take this the wrong way, to think he was laughing at her, but he only chuckled because she was cute.

“So you're brand new to the pack and you're not quite familiar with the caves yet so ya got yourself a little turned around,” he shrugged. “No big deal. You'll learn the layout in time, and probably faster than you think.” He was putting more sticks on the shelves again. When he decided he was done (which apparently was not when all the sticks were put away) he walked around the room and stepped up in front of Sterling. Looking down into her face, he smiled for a moment, and then held his hands out.

“Burned them trying to invent a weapon,” he said simply, hoping she would probe for more answers, because he quite liked the girl.

“Hmm...” he hummed as he thought, looking over to a collection of ready-to-go torches that he would not be able to place today. “Looks like we both need something. You certainly need someone to help you through the caverns, and I could use someone to help me put up new torches. Eh?” He turned back to her, brow arched. He waved a stiff hand at a pile of torches, “What do ya say?”

[/html]
[html]

She watched as he kept smirking and smiling at her and couldn't understand what the heck was so funny. Glancing down briefly at his hands, she cringed, only imagining how much that must have hurt. He spoke of inventing a weapon, which intrigued her greatly but she pushed it down on her priority list for the time being. She lifted her bewildered gaze to his red gemstone eyes, mirroring his expression by dropping a brow while lifting the other.

She hadn't really noticed that he was absolutely dashing, mostly because her head was swimming, better put as drowning, in questions. What was that white mask for? Should I trust him? What was he inventing? How long would it take to learn the blueprints of this winding subterranean tunnel system? She was promptly brought back to the present by his proposition that they help each other, she by aiding him with his work and he by helping her learn the cave's setup. Her feature shifted from mimicking his mug to that of being a tad perplexed.

Her ears rose to a perk as she thought, finally settling for an answer, "I say, that sounds like a good idea." Without much thought she took a step closer to him, then sidestepped and proceeded to go around him, towards the table with the unlit torches. She began to collect a few and then inquired, "So, could you tell me more about that new weapon you were working on?" She'd save the question about his face for later, since he probably got asked about it all the time.

<style type="text/css">
.sterlaband b {font-weight:bold; color:#969c9e; letter-spacing:1px; }
.sterlaband .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.sterlaband p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.sterlaband {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#1f1e1c; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/A85dE.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 320px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:10px; color:#616570; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]