CdA's Rank Names!
PLEASE VOTE ONLY IF YOU ARE A MEMBER OF CERCATORI D'ARTE.

Hey, all d'Artisans! I've been playing with the idea of changing the names of the ranks (just the names! No structure will be changed.) It would make the ranks much easier to comprehend at a glance, and it'd be easier to see someone's rank and know exactly at what position they are!

If the ranks are changed to English, they will have simple, easy to understand names like "Soldier" for a beginning Sentinel rank-holder, "Guardian" for an intermediate rank-holder, and "Arms-Master" for the master rank-holder - of course, you guys are free to throw out your own ideas for names of the ranks! The general ideas are here (provide feedback if you want!):

EXAMPLE 1. TRANSLATED TO ENGLISH

LEADERSHIP
- Leader
- Subleader(s)

COUNCIL
- Guard of the Council
- Envoy of the Council
- Overseer of the Council

TRADITIONAL
Scribbler -> Artist -> Maven

STAGE
Performer -> Entertainer -> Ringleader

CRAFTSMAN
Crafter -> Builder -> Artisan

MERCHANT
Peddler -> Trader -> Merchant

LIVESTOCK
Shepherd -> Animal Tender -> Animal Tamer

SENTINEL
Soldier -> Guardian -> Warrior

PUPS
- Youth

ELDERS, HANDICAPPED, & OTHER
- Enduring

OMEGA
- Infidel

EXAMPLE 2. ONE WORD, TIERED

LEADERSHIP
- Leader
- Subleader(s)

COUNCIL
- Guard of the Council
- Envoy of the Council
- Overseer of the Council

TRADITIONAL
Novice Artist -> Working Artist -> Master Artist

STAGE
Novice Performer -> Working Performer -> Master Performer

CRAFTSMAN
Novice Craftsman -> Working Craftsman -> Master Craftsman

MERCHANT
Novice Merchant -> Working Merchant -> Master Merchant

LIVESTOCK
Novice Shephard -> Working Shephard -> Master Shephard

SENTINEL
Novice Guardian -> Working Guardian -> Master Guardian

PUPS
- Youth

ELDERS, HANDICAPPED, & OTHER
- Enduring

OMEGA
- Infidel

Ranks would still be feminized for female characters (shepherdess, etc). Big Grin Tell what you think, and make sure to vote!
I am torn on this decision. I really like the current names because they are interesting and cool. Changing them to english would be boring in my opinion. However, I can see why the change would be good as well. It would make understanding the ranks easier. One thing we could is rather than changing the names, we can add more thorough descriptions to the website. We could even have the english translations on the website as well.
I do like the idea that Ariel has. Perhaps instead of changing to english, make it so it shows the meaning of the rank when you hover over it. It tells what the rank entails, more information can be found on the site, and we keep the cool names we have now.
I'm a bit torn as well. As far as I see, all of the Italian names have pretty obvious translations (at least, they have always been easy for me to navigate with the ranks table as reference) -- and it's a bit of a culture thing too.

However, I agree that English ranks would be more obvious and simple. I like a lot of the ones you proposed (in the first example), although some of them could be changed around to make it very obvious that they're a change upward. For instance, Scribbler --> Artist --> Maven makes it obvious that the member has become more experienced and at a higher rank. Others might be more iffy? But I can understand if there aren't other words that properly convey that, it'd be hard to think of...

I'm gonna refrain from officially voting yet. >__> Raze is indecisive as HELLL.
honestly I don't want a rank name change. I think it makes the pack different to have non english names. I will not be voting just yet and agreeing with ariel
Thanks for your input, everyone! I personally think that making English names will make the pack more unique, as only Salsola and Cour des Miracles have English names as of now :O

If you haven't voted yet, please do! Big Grin
I'm in favour of translating the names into English. Personally I think that the first example for sentinel master rank(Arms-Master) sounds better than the one in the list (Warrior)
Edited to reflect leadership, council, and the rest of the ranks. All titles are also up for discussion or changes if you guys wish! Smile

Co-ranks will be unaffected by this change!
I honestly like the ranks the way they are, only because they can mean so many things. Like, they're more general and allows diversity within that subject, while English is very straight to the point. Idk if I make sense... xD Basically, I say no change.
Not that I am against change but having the ranks in the foreign language ties the ranks in with the name of the pack, to me anyways. It had not bothered me to know understand all of the words, some i know and get the idea for the rest, plus I can always google translate if I need the translation. The hover over function could be a good way to add the english translations without changing the look and feel of the page.
Thank you, everyone, for your opinions! There is now a new poll regarding rank changes that can be found here, so please vote! There have been changes to the proposition, so please read that topic very carefully. This will be the last poll about this, I promise. Smile Click there for more info about the new poll!