Setting: Evan'ules Reserve

Time: Afternoon

Character Form: Optime

Dress: Traditional (check Profile)
[/html]
[html]

Anything goes and anyone is welcome to jump in! PGP + 3

300+

Archery was a dangerous tool for any warrior to have. The Issum often thought about while he practiced. Most warriors fought with tooth and claw while on four legs. Some even adapted past that to fighting with weapons on two legs. It was an evolution of battle. Nearly any unarmed and unarmored quadruped stood no chance against a trained swordsman. And the next step above this rung was an archer. The pack Jaden had been born into understood this. They had trained him to kill with the bow in a single shot, something that took great skill to actually do. Uva Atka knew, for all of their darkness, that being able to wound an enemy without actually presenting a target of oneself was an invaluable tool. This was one of the very few things Jaden agreed with them on. He spent a dozen hours at the very least each week firing, repairing, and conditioning his bow.

This was one of those dozen hours. Jaden had decided to test his accuracy over a distance this day. He chose a tree that he liked to shoot at upon the Evan’ules reserve and decided the best angle corresponding with the slight wind of the day. Such a shot as he would be attempting didn’t need the aided difficulty of wind compensation. Then he turned and took a hundred paces away from the tree which left him with a nice and challenging target. After that, it was simply a matter of firing his arrows. Three times he went through his quiver of fifteen arrows and had to go fetch them again. The archer averaged about ten hits per load and it was pleasing him greatly. Of course, there was always room to improve. He knew one day he would be able to sink every shot easily from this distance but until then, practice would be essential.

Jaden does. Jaden speaks. Jaden thinks.

<style>
.jaden-t51 .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.jaden-t51 p {padding:2px 0px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.jaden-t51 b {color:#181913; letter-spacing:-.2px; }
.jaden-t51 {background-color:#B3B4A8; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2011feb/jaden.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#525344; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:450px; text-align:justify; }
.jaden-t51-border {width:454px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; margin:0 auto;}
.jaden-t51 .inner {margin:0px 10px 163px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/50pct_white.png); border-size:1px; border-width:1px; border-style: none dotted dotted dotted; border-color:#313229;}
.jaden-t51 .wordcount {color:#181913; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; margin:2px 10px; border-top:1px dotted #181913; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase;}
</style>[/html]
Rain was all too accustomed to using a bow and arrow. Lux was taking care fox pups and carving. Rain wanted to get some practice in with his long bow and had been perfecting his double arrow shot. He walked around pack lands for awhile, taking in his surroundings and getting a feel for the place him and Lux called home. He had yet to meet anyone but his Alphess and he hoped to meet some one soon. He had been so wrapped up in his surroundings and thoughts that he was surprised to here the whistle of arrows slicing though the air. Rain pulled out his own bow and notched to arrows, coming up beside the man as he let loose an arrow.

Rain pulled back and angled his arrows to come up beside the mans and let them fly. They whistled though the air and came to rest right beside the man's in a tree a few yards out. "You are a excellent marks men. But your elbow was just a little too low, making the arrow wobble some. Try holding it up just a little higher," said Rain with a smile. He turned to the male. "I am Rain Marks, new comer of the pack. You are?" he said with a slight bow to the man.
[html]

Hey there! PGP + 3

300+

For all the things Jaden had heard since leaving his training as an archer, criticism wasn’t one of them. Few canines had the ability or understanding it took to use a bow. It was very possible that in all his time alone and without anyone to catch him on bad habits he had grown to let his elbow fall into bad form. Rain came upon the obsidian man about halfway through his quiver so he still had plenty of arrows left. I am Jaden Ohanzee, he introduced himself while drawing an arrow and stepping into form. He then mimicked the motions he had been taught and took the other male’s advice. The arrow sang through the air with little difference as far as he could tell, but then again, he hadn’t been watching his last projectile for wobble. It hit right on target though and that might have been proof to support Rain’s claims. He turned his blue eyes on his new fellow pack member and completed his introduction, Your Alpha.

Luckily for Rain, Jaden wasn’t the type to snap at criticism even if the instinctual desire was there simply to state his superiority. The tone of his word conveyed this a little but he smiled at the man to ensure him that there were no sore feelings between them. He hadn’t known anyway. It’s nice to meet you Rain, Jaden stepped away from the man and took a good look at the two arrows he had fired that now protruded from a tree near his own target. A neat trick, he admitted. It was impossible that letting two arrows go from the same string affected a strain on accuracy, but at close range it could be twice the killing power. Would you mind showing me once more? He would then step over to where his new acquaintance stood in hopes that his request might be acknowledged.

<style>
.jaden-t51 {background-color:#B3B4A8; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2011feb/jaden.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#525344; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:450px; text-align:justify; }
.jaden-t51 .inner {margin:0px 10px 163px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/50pct_white.png); border-size:1px; border-width:1px; border-style: none dotted dotted dotted; border-color:#313229;}
.jaden-t51 .wordcount {color:#181913; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; margin:2px 10px; border-top:1px dotted #181913; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase;}
</style>[/html]
Rain watched as he let loose another arrow. "It is my honor. You have welcomed me and my daughter into the pack. For that I am forever grateful.That last arrow was better but you let your elbow go down at the end some," he said. He knew the man was over him and he noticed his smile. "I can show you," he said taking Jadens spot. He tilted his long bow at an angle and pulled out two arrows. He pulled back his bow and pulled it till it bent back as far as it would go and let them fly.

They split his other arrows in half. "It took me a while to make the right bow and the right weight on the arrows but if you want I can let you have this one so you can learn. If you want," he said taking off his quiver and holding out his bow for Jaden to take and have.
[html]

PGP + 2

200+

Rain was an above average marksman. That was easily attainable. Jaden had been training most of his life and was still trumped by this man’s skill. But it wasn’t just skill, it was ingenuity too. The obsidian optime would have probably gone his entire life without wondering if he could shoot multiple arrows from his single bow. Rain was not only younger than he was, but had asked this question and figured out an answer. He’d even built a custom bow and arrows to make it work better. Perhaps this was someone who was ‘born’ to be an archer. The term had always floated around his mind but true understanding of how this raw interest in something could affect a skills development hadn’t come to him until now. It seemed Rain had a natural talent for archery. A very good addition to Sangi’lak.

Jaden watched as Rain demonstrated again and hid how impressed he was by the outcome. His smile offered only acceptance. It is a very nice weapons, he turned Rain’s bow over in his hands and took one arrow to do the same. He had an eye for the craftsmanship in them. He could get a sense of what the man went from and how his modifications deviated from his own style of bow-making. I truly appreciate your offer, but I am a craftsman of bows as well. I couldn’t take such fine instruments from their maker. I will experiment the next time I have a chance and you can let me know how it works out? He offered.

<style>
</style>[/html]
Rain smiled and pressed the bow into his alpha's paw. "I have another one already made. I got really bored on my trips and made two of these bows, both from the same tree. They hold well and I knew I would eventually give one away. It would be my honor if you would take this bows and arrows," he said. He hoped to see some of Jaden's work. "I hope to see your work some day. Come by my den and I'll show you some of the other things I carve," he said with a smile. He bumped the man playfully. "Come. Let me see you shoot again," said Rain. He wanted to give him a few pointers, help him become a better archer. He wanted to do as much as he could for his pack and helping his Alpha shoot better.

"How did you come to make this pack? I have been here a while. This pack is relatively new. I have been looking for a pack to take me in. I don't have the best past...," he said pulling out his dagger. He took stance and threw the dagger at the tree, hitting just a tad too high for his liking. He walked over to the tree and pulled out the arrows and dagger before coming back to where Jaden stood
[html]

I'm so sorry about the wait. PGP + 2

200+

Rain was persistent. Jaden didn’t want to rob his newest member of finely crafted weapons but was not going to be rude and refuse a gift again. He kept Rain’s bow and admired it for a moment longer before taking the arrows offered as well. They were all very well made. The playful bump took him by surprise. He grinned a bit awkwardly while wondering what else Rain might be able to carve. Then he complied with the archer’s request. He showed off his own skill at archery once again and hit his target right in the center.

But all wasn’t silent while he fired. A question and leading statement met dark ears and both left an answer and question on Jaden’s tongue. What was Rain’s past? Dark blue eyes watched him curiously as he returned with both dagger and arrows in hand. My life had lost meaning a while before X’yrin and I founded Sangilak. She was and still is my dearest friend and we both chose this over our old lives, me as a way to find meaning and her to build us a stronger future. We both come from very different pasts as well, Jaden pulled and strung another one of Rain’s handmade arrows, She’s from a noble blooded group she was meant to lead. I too was raised to lead my family but they were a different, much less... noble sort of pack. He let the arrow go then turned and looked at Rain. What is troubling about your past?

<style>
</style>[/html]
Rain flinched. He whined softly as the memories of Shiloh and Saxif came back to him. The frail grey woman hadn't deserved that kind of abuse and secretly he had been living with the nightmares of her and her mate. He had only told Samantha about Shiloh and he had planned to keep it that way but if he was going to be a better wold he was going to have to tell his alpha about what he did and accept what came after it.

"During the Aniwayan war I was on the wrong side. There was this defiant woman by the Shiloh Grant. I was tested by her and I took my anger out on her. I beat her almost to death. I am not proud of what I did to her. I am reminded every time I go to sleep of the atrocities I committed against her. I haven't hurt a soul since then and I ask you not to judge me now on what happened in my past. I am a better man now," he said as his hand went to the claw marks that marred his chest. Saxif should have killed him eons ago but the woman had let him live. Now he had to live with the guilt and regret over what he did. He didn't even know if Shiloh was even still alive.

"You are the only other soul beside Shiloh's mate and my ex mate Samantha that know of what I have done. I know that it was wrong. I know I am condemned for it... he said softly before throwing his dagger at the tree again. It landed the wrong way and thudded against the tree hilt first.
[html]

PGP + 3

300+

Jaden’s expression stayed neutral while Rain spoke. It might have been surprising for most to hear that a seemingly good natured wolf like him had a darker side or the ability to beat someone within inches of their life, but not Jaden. In fact, knowing Rain had a past he wasn’t proud of much like himself only improved the Issum’s view of him. In a gruesome way, it gave them something to bond over. I will not judge you if you can do me the same. My ‘less noble’ pack of the past where in truth ruthless killers. I was trained to be the best of them and more innocent blood than I wish to recall met my blade and arrows. The alpha’s eyes fell in shame at the memories of his atrocities as well. But he wanted Rain to understand that, while what he had done was not right by any means, there was so much worse that could be done. Regret for evil was the sign of a good soul. For a long time the look’s on their faces or last words begging for mercy kept me awake at night. Sometimes they still do.

Jaden looked to the other, searching for a reaction. Then he closed the distance between them and set a paw on the man’s white furred shoulder. That isn’t who I am any longer, but I can’t change what I did. The guilt you and I feel is similar. It can change you, Rain. How you handle it will show who you are. There was a chance his words would fall on deaf ears. Not all wolves took kindly to knowing someone who had taken over a dozen lives. But if that was the case, it was unavoidable. Jaden felt deeply it was more important to be honest with his pack members than to pretend he’d never been a monster.

<style>
</style>[/html]
OCC: sorry for the wait. I have a million things going on. I would like another thread with you if you don't mind. How about two more posts and we wrap this one up.

Rain knew all to well the nightmares that Jaden spoke of. The grey woman's stutter haunted him and her mates angry cry. He looked at Jaden and shook his head yes. "I understand the nightmares, of the voices of the ones we hurt. I do not condemn you if you do not condemn me. You are right my brother. Things like that do change a wolf. I am handling it by giving back to others," he said putting his opposite paw on the mans shoulder like he had done him.

"I am happy to have told you. I constantly fear what others will think of me and how they might make me leave. I want Lux to grow up happy and with a pack she can call family. We just need a place to call our own," said Rain before pulling away and going to retrieve his dagger from its place on the ground. He turned and went back to the man with a smile. "I had hoped to find someone who would understand what its like to carry a burden like my own. Not many are that understanding," he whispered softly, twirling his dagger in his hands
[html]

No worries Wink PGP + 2

200+

Holding the shoulder and looking meaningfully into the eyes of the other man Jaden saw nothing that told of disgust. There was no anger there either. Agreeable words and a friendly touch portrayed strength in character and finished the picture of a valuable Sangi’lak member. He smiled agreeably took into account all Rain said. He valued his family and wanted only to find a home for his little one. That was Sangi’lak in him. They were all family and would all look out for one another as such.

When their embrace broke it was obvious this was a wolf he wanted to know. He was happy to cure the man’s fear a bit. Rain needed not hide what he’d done. Those who were weak enough to hate either of them for things they’d done in their past were not worth the effort of knowing. I understand completely. And, so long as I lead Sangi’lak, you will be welcome here. He turned and drew another arrow onto the bow and pulled it back but didn’t fire. The desire to practice had gone now. Perhaps it was the difficulty of a new bow to master or the emotion that had been displayed. Regardless, practice time seemed to be over. He put the arrow back into its quiver and shouldered the bow.

Jaden turned back to the man. It was incredibly nice to meet you. I think you will do well in Sangi’lak, He nodded respectfully to the man. But I’m probably needed elsewhere. It seems like there is always a chore somewhere that is being put off. He would wait to ensure the man was done speaking before leaving.

<style>
</style>[/html]