Want you to hold my hand
[html]
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p292 ... rtable.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
ooc: <3!
WC: 524

Coli was pregnant. Saul had confirmed it for her two days ago, and then she privately told Lilin last night. The Virdings were the only two to know so far, but soon it would be obvious to anyone who saw her. She wrapped herself more tightly in the fur-lined cloak, trying to conceal the roundness of her stomach. Mere days ago she thought she was simply ill, some unidentified malady causing her to grow queasy and collapse in the summer heat, amid other symptoms. Now she had an entirely new set of worries, knowing the cause of her sickness was just the beginning: in a few short weeks she would be a single mother, if she could even survive the birthing. Her one small comfort was that if she did perish, at least the pups would be safe here in Vinátta with their aunt.

She rose laboriously to her feet, wincing as her ankles protested the weight. She was feeling weak from hunger, but there was no easy way to remedy that in her condition. She only knew how to hunt on all fours, pouncing on small creatures like voles or lemmings, and now she was unable to shift. She pushed the door of her home open with great effort, the old warped wood getting stuck like it always did. Pale morning light streamed in, making her blink rapidly as her eyes adjusted. Her house had no windows, so the small interior was always dark like a den, something she preferred because it was easier to sleep that way. As her sight adjusted to the outdoors, her gaze fell down at her feet. There was a dead rabbit. It had been placed before her door as some sort of charitable donation, the red marks around its throat clearly from a wolf's bite. It had to be Saul, only he would be that thoughtful and kind to her. A swell of grateful emotion made her nearly start to cry, but the scent of the fresh kill was an enticing distraction. She sank into a crouch, ravenously devouring the surprise breakfast.

Coli finished her meal very quickly, rising to lick the blood from her fingers and whiskers. In her wolfish haste, she left nothing behind. She knew she needed to be more responsible now that there were other lives depending on her. She couldn't let herself starve, and it was unfair to burden the pack with hunting for her. She was feeling better than usual today, a meal in her belly and an unbroken night's sleep refreshing her; perhaps she could be proactive and capture some prey she could store for later. She would only get heavier and less mobile from here on, which frightened her to think about. She adjusted the leather cloak about her shoulders, and headed deeper into Jordheim at her own shambling pace. There were lemmings and rabbits in the fields, squirrels in the wooded forest, plenty of small enough creatures she could attempt to capture with her hands. That would be her goal for the day, to create a cache she could rely on later. She had to be responsible.

Stock photo credit: ArrsistableStock@deviantART
[/html]
[html]

There were plenty of things to do in the territory to keep Ink busy. On some days, he'd be running errands for packmates. On others, practicing in private to hunt and to fight and while practice did pay off, he was still far from capable at either task. His usual meals were rewards for chores he'd do for 'mates, but otherwise the boy was just as hungry as he'd been on his own. His own fault, of course, for not learning to hunt from an elder of the Caravan before leaving. He'd been unprepared.

Today his chores included the stables but he'd long since finished that already. The early morning found him there, tending to Jericho and the other horses until work was finished. He'd go riding in the evenings. The afternoon was for errands and practice and though he planned on doing errands today, no one seemed to need any help with anything. His friends were busy with their own chores and tasks. He was blatently bored.

So he went walking. Just around Jordeim, to map out the village better in his head and for something to do. He rounded the corner from his home just in time to catch a new face passing through. He paused, smiling politely and stepping to the side. "G'morning." A simple hello, as an attempt to be social and meet new people- if she didn't stop to share in his social interactions, he'd move on to what he'd been doing. He hoped she would stop.

<style type="text/css">
.blue b {font-weight:bold; color:#a9e0e5;}
.blue p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.blue {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#0f0e2d; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/RsVDS.png), url(http://i.imgur.com/Bujaa.png);
background-position: center top, center bottom;
background-repeat: no-repeat, no-repeat; border:1px solid #1F571A; padding: 100px 0px 100px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#6e90b3; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
</style>

[/html]
[html]
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p292 ... rtable.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

WC: 361

Coli was startled from her thoughts by the sound of a voice. "Oh, good morning," she replied automatically, blinking in surprise at the stranger that appeared from around the corner. She did not recognize his face or his scent at all, but he wore the same carved pendant around his neck that she did -- a new joiner, then. Coli had not been particularly social as of late, and Jordheim village was filling up with all the packmates she had not met. She touched her own Frithr pendant self-consciously, making sure it was visible above the cloak, as she paused to study him more closely. He was young (perhaps Temeraire's age?), but growing into his height, slender and long-legged with a youthful softness to his expression. She would almost describe him as pretty, fine white fur accentuated with black points to draw attention to his tall ears and his unusual eye color.

Males, even male packmates, typically drew a frightened response from Colibri; no matter how hard she tried to suppress it, the heavy musk of their virile pheromones incited a revulsion too deep-rooted to shake off. But when they were still young, or adolescent like this stranger, they were not threatening to her. Instead, she felt that inexplicable fondness for pups that made her want to take care of them, regardless of the situation.

"Um, you... seem a little thin, would you like to go hunting with me?" She asked awkwardly, brushing her long mane from her eyes. Hunting was something packmates did together, right? Coli wasn't exactly sociable most days, but she was feeling particularly lonely and vulnerable lately, and this young man didn't know anything about her so he couldn't judge her poor skills. "Y-you don't have to, that's just where I'm going," she added, gesturing vaguely toward the treeline surrounding Jordheim. Her ears fell back apprehensively, hoping she hadn't come on too strong. Saul and Niernan were always super friendly, perhaps she should try to imitate them next time instead of trying her own faltering attempts at making a friend. They would have laughed at her if they could see how hard she was trying this morning...

[/html]
[html]

It wasn't as if he had any skills for reference, so the girl had chosen the right- or possibly wrong- hunting partner today. Ink perked his ears at the invite and hesitated. His arms crossed behind his back almost shyly and he took a step back. "Oh, uh... I dunno. I'm not very good at hunting... I'd probably mess you up." He admitted, grinning almost stupidly. "But y'know, I can try." In the back of his mind, he went over what he did know about hunting.

Silence on the feild was important. Any sound could alert they prey to the predators hunting them. Coordination and cooperation. Teamwork can't be managed if partners can't get along. He knew to keep low and hidden, downwind so the scent wouldn't give him away. That was it, though. Techniques and proper stances were lost on him, having never been taught such things.

"My name's Ink, by the way. Ink Trovato." He smiled, pushing the thoughts away. The boy turned and waved her ahead. "I suppose... I was never really taught the in's and out's of hunting. My mum never got the chance to teach me." The tone of voice he used was calm, casual- he'd come to terms with the death of his mother and had accepted that he'd have to wait a lifetime to see her again.

<style type="text/css">
.blue {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#0f0e2d; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/RsVDS.png), url(http://i.imgur.com/Bujaa.png);
background-repeat: no-repeat, no-repeat; border:1px solid #1F571A; padding: 100px 0px 100px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#6e90b3; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
</style>

[/html]
[html]

WC: 515

The youth took a step back, black-tipped ears perked forward as he considered her proposal. He was modest in his reply, admitting honestly that he might not be an ideal partner. His insecurity only mirrored her own, though, and she was silently grateful that she had not made a mistake in offering her companionship. "Oh, is that so? I... w-well, I can't say I'm particularly talented at it either, especially not since I lost my tail," she elaborated, flustered. She knew the cloak she was wearing hid the little stub of a tail she was left with, and perhaps that was for the better; she cut a rather shabby figure, even on her best days. It wasn't any secret, though, she had lost it many seasons ago, and with practice had regained most of the balance she had lost at first. "Between the two of us, though, we might have better luck." She hoped, at least. It would be a good idea for her to focus more on catching and storing food these next weeks and less on her beloved gardens, knowing that her mobility would become more restricted the further her condition progressed. Maybe if they hit it off, the young male would want to come with her again and they could help each other.

"It's nice to meet you, Ink. I take it you're new here?" she asked amiably, finally returning his grin with a shy smile of her own. She felt less nervous and foolish now that she saw how polite he was. "My name is Colibri Haki, but you can just call me Coli if you like. My house is near here, the one with the flowers." She began walking again, as he waved her on. She was ambling at an easy pace, the most she could muster with her swollen ankles. There was no way she could chase after prey, but she had a different plan in mind, some sort of ambush. Perhaps she could lie in wait and Ink could chase prey to her. Her heavy cloak might function as a net of sorts, to snare squirrels before they could reach the safety of the trees... She had a few ideas, all of which were easier with a partner.

"I guess I learned the basics on my own," Coli replied offhandedly, thinking back on the hazy memories of her childhood. It was a lifetime ago. "I usually hunt on all fours, though, it's easier to react to little movements and pounce on things. I can't shift right now, though, because... erm, medical condition," she explained awkwardly, realizing she didn't want to lie to someone she barely knew, but she wasn't particularly proud of the truth either. "I'd be happy to teach you anything you want to learn, though," she added quickly, glancing back to make sure he was following. She liked to share any kind of knowledge she could, since it made her feel useful to younger generations. Hunting had never been much of a strong suit for her, though, which was the main reason she was typically underweight...

[/html]
[html]

The woman admitted her own weakness in hunting and it made the weight on Ink's shoulders shift, become lighter. He felt better by it, even smiling because of it. She noted her lost tail and he tilted his head, not having noticed past her cloak. Interesting. A wolf with no tail. He made a note to see if it was a touchy subject later, and maybe she could tell him the story behind it. She reassured that they'd manage between the two of them and he waved his tail in response, sure of it himself now that she'd said it.

She introduced herself as Colibri Haki, or Coli. Her house was the one he'd seen on a few of his explorations now, the pretty flowery one. He'd enjoyed the decoration of it and admired her creativity. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Coli." He tested her name on his tongue and found the nickname easier to say than her full name. Colibri wasn't hard to say- it just slurred a bit, with his accent. Coli, on the other hand, didn't. "I joined about a week or so ago. Tem recruited me." He grinned sheepishly at the mention of his friend- the goal wasn't actually Tem's to recruit. Ink had loved the sounds of Vinatta and decided later that evening to join. Tem had been surprised.

They started off towards the woods and Coli spoke of her hunting experience- she'd taught herself, and though she normally hunted in her lupus form, a condition kept her from shifting. Concern laced his expression at that, but he brushed it off for now. She offered a few lessons and he grinned. "I'd love that, actually. I've been looking for lessons since I got here. Traveling from the mainland was tough without any hunting skills to speak of- I realized just how unprepared I was when my ribs started to show." He laughed it off, rubbing a hand along his side to show off just how thin he still was.

Then, curiousity got the better of him. "Uhm... Coli, is it okay if I ask what your... 'condition' is?" He sounded much more shy, now, unsure if it was safe to talk about it or not. Hopefully she'd take no offense and he'd get an answer. Hopefully, she wouldn't get upset. Hopefully, it wasn't anything serious.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]

WC: 750

Ink smiled easily, revealing that he was a friend and new recruit of Teme. Coli knew Saul's son had recently moved into his own house, in the same clearing as hers, so that must be why Ink was nearby. They were some sort of neighbors now, it seemed. "I'm glad Temeraire has a friend his age -- has he introduced you to Elias Rosen yet? You three would all get along well, I'm sure," she said, more hopeful than anything else. She knew it was stressful being new to a pack, trying to find a niche to make oneself useful, looking for any kind of acceptance and companionship. At least youngsters had it a little easier, everyone wanted to pitch in and help them out. Joining as an adult was dreadful, all those personal questions to test one's worth... She shuddered, hoping she would never have to leave Vinátta and undergo that scrutiny again.

The unlikely duo began walking in tandem, moving from the hidden village into the thick coniferous forest that perfumed their pack with pine needles. Coli smiled knowingly when he spoke of his unpreparedness, the hunger he endured while traveling. The youth still looked thin and drawn, a leanness she was well-acquainted with. "I was a yearling when I started living on my own, and I could barely keep myself going. It's hard to get started, because the hungrier you are, the less energy you have to hunt with... It's safer in a pack, someone can help you if you really need it." She cast him a friendly glance, a silent thanks for his easygoing company. She wasn't sure if he was helping her, or she was helping him, but even if their luck failed them, at least they had a pleasant conversation on the way there.

Then he asked her the question so gently, so hesitantly, that it was hard to deny him the answer she dreaded to give. "Oh..." Coli bit her lip, conflicted. It really shouldn't be a secret -- she needed to start telling her packmates now, so that it wouldn't be troublesome later when the pups arrived. It was shameful, though, to bear children against her will to a man she did not know. She had no mate to help her, and that was why she was struggling to hunt like this -- what little scrap of dignity she had left wouldn't allow her to ask for charity, even if it would soon be a necessity. "Ink, I... I'm actually expecting, I'm going to be a mother," she admitted listlessly, pushing the cloak open to reveal the roundness of her belly. It was still small, but the changes were happening too quickly for her to keep up with. It was difficult to wrap her mind around it. "So I can't shift forms without risking my health and, and theirs," she added softly. It was her duty to keep them safe, to feed them, to protect them. But she did not feel anything other than the obligation; she wasn't excited or happy, and she didn't love them. And didn't that just make her the worst person in the world? Blue eyes lingered on the protruding bump, before looking away into the forest. "Not many of our packmates know yet, so... it should probably stay between us." It wasn't a command, just a quiet hope. Coli would prefer if no one ever knew, but that was impossible.

A short silence settled over them as they walked, until Coli spoke up again. "Here, this might be a good spot." The pine trees soared high above them, pale morning light filtering through the canopy of needles. There were scattered pine cones on the ground, neatly stripped by sharp rodent teeth, that Coli pointed to. "Squirrels live all through these forests, and it's easiest to find them on the ground in the mornings. They usually stay in family groups, so... there, see that ball of twigs and bark? That's probably a squirrel nest, or drey..." The small werewolf pursed her lips, listening quietly to the area. Finding them was the easy part, with their superior canine noses and intelligence. But the trick to hunting was lulling their prey into a false sense of security. They would need to conceal themselves somewhere, and formulate their plan. She thought it would be easier to go after squirrels, to corral them away from the trees, than to try and chase burrowing creatures like lemmings and gophers. She hoped, anyway.

[/html]
[html]

"Elias Rosen? Nah, haven't met him yet. I'm sure we'll meet up eventually, though." Ink rolled his shoulders in a shrug, making a note to keep an ear out for the name in the future- she sounded hopeful that he'd befriend this 'Elias', so he'd make a point to do so, if only to grant the lady's wish. As they walked, he considered Colibri with interest- she didn't seem injured or invalid in any way. Why would she need a youngin's help, especially considering his lack of skills? His thoughts didn't continue far- she had more to say.

She'd been a yearling when she'd become a rogue- a loner. Her words made sense and he smiled, tail waving slowly behind him. "I guess we both bit off more than we could chew, huh?" Sheepish smile followed- he wasn't sure what her story was, why she'd left home early, but it didn't matter none. So far, Coli was turning out to be an interesting and friendly face. A good new friend, perhapes.

It was her news that stopped him dead in his tracks. She explained that she was pregnant, showing off her baby bump to him and asking him to keep it low profile. He tilted his head, ears going uneven. "Wow, uh... okay. I won't tell anyone. Promise." He wasn't sure why she'd want to keep it a secret or why she looked so... upset about it. Weren't children a blessing? He wouldn't pry. Not now, anyway. The silence that followed was, for him, uncomfortable- how was he supposed to react to that? He'd never interacted with a pregnant woman before. His family back in the Caravan had made a big deal over it- was he still too young to be around her? He wasn't sure.

The stopped, finally. She explained and pointed out squirrels or something- he paid attention but in the aftermath of her admission, his mind wasn't completely on task. He eyed the nest- or was it a drey?- with curiousity, careful with his movements now that they'd 'spotted their target'. "...So..." He waited for her instruction, having never hunted with someone else before- none less hunted sqirrels. He hadn't realized they were even edible.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]
Feel free to PP some critters. 8D
WC: 620

The serenity of the forest was calming her, helping her speak more freely without stammering or failing to answer. "You three boys could have a lot of fun together," Coli affirmed. Eli acted young for his age, and he and headstrong Temeraire loved getting into mischief. Perhaps they would end up being more trouble as a trio, and Saul would be displeased with the result. "Well, not too much fun, I hope," she added under her breath, a wry smile tugging at the corners of her mouth. When the conversation turned to more serious topics, her smile faded, replaced by a somber wistfulness. "I suppose so, I certainly wasn't ready to be on my own," she said carefully. The circumstances were very unexpected. Not unlike the circumstances of her pregnancy, which Ink seemed quite surprised to learn about. He promised not to share that particular secret, and Coli was relieved, if only a little. She swallowed the lump in her throat, unsure what else to say. It was obvious she did not have a mate, she carried no scent other than Vinátta's. It wasn't uncommon for lone females to bear pups, but it wasn't something she had wished for herself.

It was a relief to reach the grove and have a distraction. Young Ink seemed a little apprehensive though, or at least unsure. Coli hesitated, wondering how she should instruct him. She wasn't much of a teacher, much less a leader in a situation like this. "We're wolves, we can eat anything we can catch," she mused aloud, keeping her voice soft. Slowly she undid the fastening of her cloak, removing it fully. She didn't need to hide herself from Ink anymore, and she had a different plan for the heavy garment. "I don't ever hunt anything larger than myself, like deer, because I know my limits. So I hunt small things like rodents, and that's enough. If you're in a tight spot, look for bird nests, you might get lucky with some eggs or hatchlings. If there's water nearby, frogs and snails are edible. Look for crows or vultures in the sky, and they can lead you to carrion. Even worms and bugs, anything's better than starvation." She felt self-conscious, talking so much about what some wolves kept as instinct, but... she had learned much of this the hard way, on her own so abruptly and with such grievous injuries. If not for casting aside pride and eating some unpleasant things, she wouldn't be standing here today. Her belly was full today, but it might not be tomorrow. It was a useful lesson, something that Ink could benefit from to keep him from struggling again. Would she teach her own children to hunt, so they would never be hungry? Coli frowned, quickly pushing the thought aside. She did not want to think about them.

"Anyway, all I mean is... finding live prey is worth the wait, we have to be patient. Squirrels are safe in the trees, but they are vulnerable on the ground when they're foraging. I'll hide here behind these shrubs, near the drey --" she pointed with a claw, "--And you go off to that bush, and stay low. When a squirrel comes down, jump out and chase it! It should come running back towards my tree, and I'll fling the cloak over it. You can shift down if you want, you might be able to catch it with your teeth," she added, hoping her plan was not a foolish one. She didn't have much experience with partner work, and she would feel just awful if she messed it up for him. Already she felt nervous, her heart fluttering rapidly in her chest. Performance anxiety.

[/html]
[html]

493 - Loved writing this.

Ink absorbed her lesson with complete attention and interest. Each and every part of it would be useful to him and he worked to memorize it all as she spoke. She paused a moment, frowning, and those long ears perked higher, eyes laced with concern. It didn't last long. She continued her lesson. She explained the plan and he nodded at the instruction, eyes peering over to the mentioned bush. At her suggestion to shift down, he hesitated- he'd... never really shifted in front of someone before. Not really. People he knew, yeah... but Colibri was a newer face.

Pushing aside his doubt, the boy murmured an 'okay' and creeped backwards, looping around through brush as he went. Half way there, he stopped to shift, the process uncomfortable but not unfamiliar to him. His clothes were tucked away safely before he continued his circle to the bush, giving Colibri one last glance before tucking down behind cover, managed to disappear surprisingly well- the boy knew how to hide, at least.

And then, they waited. His ears tuned into the forest around them, flicking at every bird call and rustling of life. The sound of his breathing became noticeable to him and he could feel the soft thrumming of his own heartbeat in his chest. His eyes were trained to the small clearing beyond the bush and tall grass, watching, waiting. Movement above. His eyes snapped up to follow it and his ears trained to the sound of tiny claws on bark. Sure enough, a squirrel. The gray thing flung itself to one of the lower branches of nearby tree, danging for a moment before clinging with all four tiny paws. Every muscle in Ink's body quivered for a moment. If only... it would... drop.

The squirrel scurried to the trunk of the tree, Ink's eyes following it without blinking. As Colibri had predicted, the creature slowly made its way to the ground. He waited. It sniffed the air curiously, unsure of what to make of the new scents there. This one was young, its tail still thin and nimble, its belly fat on food from its birth nest. Naive and unexperienced. Relatively easy prey.

It bounced away from the tree and tucked its head down into the grass, pawing at the dirt there. A buried stash, maybe? Ink didn't stop to consider it. He moved quietly to the other end of the bush, closer... closer...

And then he launched. A white blur bursting from the green foliage, teeth snapping but catching only air as the squirrel darted away, towards Colibri. He herded it towards her, hot on its heels. He snapped for it one last time before leaving it to Colibri, not quite confident enough in his own skills to try and catch it himself just yet. His angle changed at just the last moment, darting away from his older hunting partner with quick paws and a bark.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]
whoo action!! coli is not so graceful today... Cx
WC: 483

They assumed their positions, letting the silence creep back into the forest around them. Colibri let her eyes flutter shut, listening intently to nature. She felt at home in the forest, surrounded by trees and the tranquil sounds of small creatures. Only the gardens she cultivated were more peaceful than this, because her fingers mapped every leaf and petal that she cared for. She shifted her weight, discomfort drawing her back to the present. Her aching joints were passionately protesting this crouch, making her feet go numb, but she had to be patient. It would only be more difficult as the summer dragged on.

Soon enough, there came a young squirrel edging cautiously into their clearing. Her wet nose twitched, catching the scent on the air. Her eyes lingered on where Ink had concealed himself, catching the faintest flicker of movement as he readied the charge. Almost there...

An explosion of movement burst forth at once as the hapless squirrel was ambushed. Coli's stomach lurched abruptly, the surge of adrenaline leaving her lightheaded as she grasped the cloak with trembling fingers. The panicked prey was streaking towards her at top speed, tiny paws scrabbling against the dirt as Ink galloped a hairsbreadth behind. She could hear the click of his fangs closing on air, the rush of his breath, the excited bark he emitted as the chase came barreling straight towards her hiding place.

She tensed before flinging her arms out, the drab leather cloak erupting forth from the bushes like a buff bird taking flight. Coli's momentum carried her forward, crashing down onto the makeshift net while she still held down the corners. She was panting, though she had not run at all; dizzied by the tension and the stress of it all. She wasn't even sure if her timing had been right -- was it under there, or had it reached the tree? Suddenly a sharp pain in her knuckle caused her to yipe unceremoniously, recoiling from the cloak to nurse the spot of blood on her finger.

The squirrel wriggled free from the corner of the garment, chattering its teeth in wild agitation. Before it could leap away, Coli quickly reacted, kicking the cloak over it again and then bundling it up in her arms. Thoroughly winded, the tailless wolf sat back against the tree, hugging the squirming bundle against her heaving chest as she fought to catch her breath. They had succeeded in capturing it, but their prey was still very much alive -- it was a bit of a quandary for Coli, as this was her first attempt at hunting as an Optime. Blue eyes wandered to Ink, and she silently offered him the balled-up cape, holding it out towards him. He was supposed to learn from this anyway, wasn't he? It was easier with jaws and no hands, there was less forethought. It would be his kill.

[/html]
[html]

190 -Short.

Ink turned as he slowed to a trot, and then a walk as he returned to Coli's side. His eyes watched the squirming, angry bundle inside the cloak, his sides heaving, panting. She held the caped critter out to him and he trotted over, placing his mouth around it's squirming form and holding tight. He backed up a few steps, lowered his head to the ground, encased the squirrel between teeth and front paws and proceeded to search for its neck. The moment his jaws closed around it, he bit down hard. A small crack was heard, muffled from the cloak, and the movement stopped completely. The deed was done. He remained there for a moment, eyes closed as he thanked it for the meal, and then uncovered it and brought both the cloak and the squirrel back to Colibri.

After a moment, the excitement bubbled up inside of his chest and forced his tail into full gear. "Tell me we can do that again." His eyes were wide, excited. His heart was still thrumming a quick and heavy beat, his blood rushing. He'd never felt quite so alive.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]
We can close this up, yeah? Thanks for the thread, poke me if you'd like another. Wink
WC: 319

Colibri pressed her fingers to her chest, feeling her racing heartbeat begin to ease back to normal. She watched as Ink carried off the bundle, placing it on the ground before closing his jaws around their catch. "Congratulations," she said softly, smiling. That wasn't so hard after all. And despite her initial awkwardness, she did feel like they could be friends, and go hunting together on a regular basis. If he wanted to, anyway - Coli wasn't blind to the fact that a happy-go-lucky youngster would rather spend time with others his own age instead of an older pregnant lady like her. She shouldn't get ahead of herself.

Ink dutifully carried the cloak and squirrel back to her, which she accepted appreciatively. Coli scooped a shallow hole in the ground, placing the still-warm prey into the depression before covering it it up with loose soil. They would return for their prize later, once their hunting was done and they could divvy up the spoils fairly. The scent of wolves would ward off any scavengers, so it should be safe. She then shook out the cloak, freeing it from any clinging pine needles and rodent fur. Of course she would have to wash it, but that could happen later in the day when the sun would dry it off quickly.

When she glanced back to her partner, he was already bright with excitement, tail waving energetically. His enthusiasm was infectious. "Of course we can do it again, we'll be at this all morning," she said in amusement, rising slowly to stretch her stiff legs. She was already quite tired, but this was an important job for the both of them. She mustn't complain. "Come on, let's find a new ambush spot a little ways off, so they don't catch our scent here and get suspicious." She brushed the dirt from her knees, flashing Ink a grateful smile for his company.

[/html]