[aw] inahiyu, august fast
[html]
What? A somber Una? Anyone is welcome. <3 /+360

Dull green eyes tracked the squirrel’s movements as it flicked its way down the tree trunk, pawing around in the leaf litter at the base. The little creature was a stone’s throw away, but Unatsikanogeni had no stone to throw. He was sure that he’d miss, anyway; his arms shook every time he lifted them higher than at the elbow. Even shifting to snatch the little bugger in his jaws would take far more energy than what he’d get from eating it.

No, I must not, the Tribesman thought slowly. He blinked his absolute and utter hatred at the tree rat then watched it scramble back up the trunk, tiny claws clinging to the bark. Shaking his head, he turned his attention away from the creature to keep himself sane. Or was he sane? He was doing this, wasn’t he?

No again; this is what he should do. It was a part of his culture, his heritage, and he was not going to turn his back on it now, not after he’d turned his back on the Tribe before. It wasn’t as insane a ritual as it could have been, only fasting for a week. He was sure that many wolves had done it before during famines, especially in decades past, and that he might be able to survive such a shortage too. However, the problem with the Fast of the Fruit Moon was that prey was plentiful, and staring him in the face at every turn.

There was a soft footstep behind him, and his big ears swiveled back before the rest of him slowly followed suit. The whitetail inclined her head kindly, her dark eyes gentle and understanding. “Shall we return, Unatsikanogeni?” the guide asked. “There is still sustenance—you may eat, just not of the flesh. Your harvest awaits you back home.”

The red wolf shook his head, his face oddly lifeless, and turned away again. “Utaluli,” he said softly. “I want to sit for a little longer.”

Unatsi did not look back to see if the guide had gone, but her scent faded away, and he was alone with his thoughts and his hunger once more.

<style type="text/css">
.unowdeer-ooc {font-size:9px; line-height:12px; padding:3px; font-style:italic;width:90%; max-width:700px; margin:0 auto; text-align:right;font-family:georgia;}
.unowdeer {margin:0 auto; background:#fff url(http://i.imgur.com/qiS6y.png) no-repeat top; width:98%; max-width:700px; border:1px solid #68472c; color:#000;}
.unowdeer .in {margin:300px 15px 5px 15px; padding:7px; font-family:arial; font-size:12px; background:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/50pct_white.png); text-align:justify;}
.unowdeer p {margin:0;p adding:0; text-indent:30px;}
.unowdeer b {color:#68472c; font-family:georgia;}
.unowdeer b.npc {font-weight:normal; font-style:italic;}</style>[/html]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
.freetable1 b {font-weight:bold; color:#dcd27e; letter-spacing:1px; }
.freetable1ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px;}
.freetable1 p {text-indent:25px;padding:5px 10px 10px 10px;margin:0px;}
.freetable1 {width:425px;border:1px solid #b6b6b0;background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... table1.png);background-position:bottom center;background-repeat:no-repeat;padding-bottom:200px;background-color:#595844;text-align:justify;margin:10px;font-family:georgia, serif;font-size:11px;line-height:12px;color:#e7eae1;}
</style>

ooc murr

Time was moving on, and the somber female had begun to live again. It wasn't much, grooming herself once more and actually taking the time to eat. It was better than the relentless training that had threatened to consume her. She wanted to push everything away, forget that Grandpa was gone and pretend that he was at home, just waiting for her to return. Today she was out trying to catch a deer and bring it down by herself. She was large enough for it, she just had to figure out how to go about doing it without getting hurt.

Adelle had spent some time searching for deer when she came across a shaking wolf. Why he was doing that she didn't know. The almost grown female stared at him hard, watching him. He was just sitting there. Adelle stayed in the bushes, measuring his presence. He wasn't threatening or anything, just strange. Sniffing the air Adelle recognized it as the pack Aniwaya. It still didn't tell her why he was shaking. Stepping out Adelle stared at him. Hello.

[/html]
[html]
Una gets freaky when he's hungry. >___>;

His senses had never been sharp. While he guarded the boundaries of the Great Tribe, a few younger wolves had had it easy sneaking past him. He’d gotten rebuked, of course, because what if they had been enemies? Everyone would have died, was bloody well what, and everyone did die—or almost everyone. Some people died. It seemed like a lot. Now, where was he?

His senses had never been sharp, and so it wasn’t until the luperci spoke that he realized there was even one nearby. One big ear flicked back, the scar near his eye twitched, and he turned around with painful slowness. His tired body gave another tremble as he tried to size the stranger up from where he was sitting hunched on the forest floor. She was young, but she was way bigger than he was. Wasn’t everyone?

“Hello, osiyo, all of that,” Unatsikanogeni replied, waving a hand dismissively. “Gado usdi hnadvga nihi aduladi?” he muttered in Cherokee, and again in English, “What do you want?” He was too tired—too hungry—to get up to properly address her. “Do you want to eat me? I’d want to eat me. You’ve got a lot more meat on you, though, probably too tough for my tastes.” He tried to smile.

<style type="text/css">
.unowdeer-ooc {font-size:9px; line-height:12px; padding:3px; font-style:italic;width:90%; max-width:700px; margin:0 auto; text-align:right;font-family:georgia;}
.unowdeer {margin:0 auto; background:#fff url(http://i.imgur.com/qiS6y.png) no-repeat top; width:98%; max-width:700px; border:1px solid #68472c; color:#000;}
.unowdeer .in {margin:300px 15px 5px 15px; padding:7px; font-family:arial; font-size:12px; background:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/50pct_white.png); text-align:justify;}
[html]
<style type="text/css">
.freetable1ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px;}
.freetable1 {width:425px;border:1px solid #b6b6b0;background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... table1.png);background-position:bottom center;background-repeat:no-repeat;padding-bottom:200px;background-color:#595844;text-align:justify;margin:10px;font-family:georgia, serif;font-size:11px;line-height:12px;color:#e7eae1;}
</style>

ooc lol

What was up with this wolf? His reaction was extremely slow, head turning with utter slowness towards her. At last the wolf faced her, though he didn't bother to stand up, and his frame was still shaking. What was up with that? She stared, wondering if perhaps he was an idiot and that was why he kept shaking like that. Or maybe he was sick. Adelle dodged thinking that he might be dying, wanting to avoid thinking about such things. Surely if he was dying he would smell different.

The strange greeting only intrigued her further, staring at the wolf with intense curiosity. What did he say? That wasn't any language she had heard before. Eat him? Adelle laughed at the question, the first for the pup since her grandpa's death. No. You don't look very tasty. He had too much thick fur, for one thing. And it really grossed her out to think about eating another canine. Why are you shaking? She really wanted to know that one.

[/html]
[html]

It might be argued that Unatsi, as a wolf, was overreacting to hunger he very well might have suffered in the wild. Famines had not been altogether uncommon in decades past, especially when humans encroached upon and hunted the populace of prey wolves so heavily relied on. However, those times were not now—and Una was a beast used to eating every day, whether a small amount of meat or not. Added on that was the stress of wanting to belong, and the other abuse he put on his body rather than conserving his energy as he should have during the fast. It made for a lethargic luperci.

Large ears swiveled toward the sound of the girl’s laughter, and his lips twitched into some sort of amused smile again. “Not much meat on me, I’m afraid,” he said, and gave an experimental sniff. “And I think I forgot to bathe lately. That’s one way to deter predators, am I right?” Although, if he were to be honest with himself, his strong scent would probably attract more dangerous animals than repel them. He tried not to think too hard about it.

Her question made him blink, again slowly. “I’m shaking?” he asked, and held out a hand to see it trembling. “Oh.” His ears folded back. “I guess—I guess I thought the forest was shaking?” He pulled his arm close against his chest and admitted to the large female, “I’m just feeling… I’m just feeling weak right now. I’ll get better, I’m sure.” He twitched a smile, just to be brave about it. There was no reason in scaring children.

<style type="text/css">
[html]
<style type="text/css">
</style>

ooc murr

He looked amused by her reaction, a small smile on his face to match the one she bore. Hers was more uncertain, ready to fall back into the dark state she'd been dwelling in, while his was just out in the open. Adelle was much more reluctant than he was to be happy, knowing that she could get hurt all over again. A child's reaction, but in some ways despite her growing body she still was one. Another round of laughter escaped as he sniffed himself, Adelle pulling back at the strong scent. You don't smell good at all! She'd rather eat rabbit anyways.

The stranger was rather confused by Adelle's question, the large dog watching expectantly as he examined himself. The shakes hadn't gone away, and she knew she wasn't imagining it. Even with the bad smell she could tell that he wasn't alright. The forest shaking? Adelle thought it was pretty obvious that he was still with everything else moving around. Then again, that might just be her thoughts on the matter. It could be something entirely different altogether. Worry shattered through her gaze, stepping closer. Are you dying? Grandpa started out a little weak, but he didn't get better. Would the same thing happen here?

[/html]
[html]
Ohno. :C He's not dying but he's scared himself and so this is saad to write. +322

There was something not quite all there in the girl’s smile, but Unatsikanogeni was not used to reading other wolves—besides where derision was concerned. He looked a bit too hard for something like that, but not for the subtle worries and questions in others’ eyes. If she smiled, she must be happy or amused, but if she frowned or started rubbing at her eyes, he would readily believe that she was sad. For as much as he dwelled on his own internal emotion and ramblings, he generally saw others at face value.

She laughed at him, agreeing that he stank, but he didn’t hear anything mean in the remark and grinned a self-depreciating grin. He didn’t like how others treated him, but it was easy to have a good chortle at his own expense. Hey, maybe the whole world had caught onto something.

The man nodded at the first question, recognizing how silly it sounded, but her second query complete with her approach destroyed the wobbly smile that had been balanced precariously on his thin face. His eyes widened then half-closed because it was too much effort to keep them big.

“I—” Fear was palpable on each hair standing up from his nape and shoulders, and his voice was as tremulous as his body. “I don’t think so, I mean, I don’t know—wouldn’t I be feeling something if I were dying? I—I’d think I would, I—” He drew his knees close against his chest, hugging them tightly with his lanky arms. He shook. “I thought Udanvti would—I thought she’d tell me if I was dying. I wouldn’t want to die alone, I mean—but Udanvti’s not here so—” He threw her a pleading look, and it was hard to form the words, but he managed.

“Would you—would you stay here with me? I mean, at least … at least until I’m sure, e-e-either way.”

<style type="text/css">
[html]
<style type="text/css">
</style>

ooc murr

He seemed amused, picking up and going along with her. It was nice to relax and laugh a little, even if it was with a stranger. His thin features blinked at her, nodding in response to her question. Adelle tried to picture the forest shaking, but couldn't quite manage it. To know that he'd thought so had her grinning, even through the seriousness of her question. His smile completely disappeared, eyes widening before they dropped half closed again, more panicky and fearful now.

This wasn't good. Adelle didn't know how to deal with the dying. She couldn't fix it. His hackles were raised as he spoke, voice wobbling all over the place. He didn't seem to think he was dying, but wasn't all that sure of it either. Immediately Adelle stepped over, standing tall next to the male, almost protective of him. Who's Udanvti? She couldn't deny the request. Of course. She plopped down on the ground, wondering what to do now. Do you know any stories?

[/html]
[html]
Super long! >> +785

It was strange that he felt comforted by the girl’s posture, even though she was much younger than him. Sadly enough, she probably would be the one to defend him from a fight—but there were some things not even the best warrior or the best medicine man could tackle.

“Udanvti is my spirit guide,” Unatsikanogeni replied to her first question, wrapping his lanky arms around his drawn-up legs and resting his chin on his knees. He decided that, as an outsider, she wouldn’t quite know what that meant, and so he began to explain. “When wolves of the Tribe come of age, they partake in a spiritual journey and find their guides there. The guides are full of wisdom and they guide us through life, like their names say. Udanvti—that means ‘gentle’—is my guide, and she shows herself as a doe.”

There was no rambling and stammering like normal when he described the concept to the girl. He enjoyed teaching others about Tribe culture, whether they were proper outsiders or new members of AniWaya. It was his way of life, and no matter what problems he’d had as an Ayastigi, he was proud of it. He was proud of Udanvti, too, even if she wasn’t around right now—or maybe she was, listening and approving. He hoped she approved, at least.

“Stories?” the farmer echoed, glancing at her as she settled beside him. “Oh, yes, I know a few.” He frowned and thought, marking some—such as the Raven Mocker—as utterly inappropriate for the occasion. He closed his eyes in silence, almost appearing to be asleep for a moment, until he thought of one and flashed a little smile. “I do have a story—I need to think of how to translate it from my language, of course, but…” He trailed off, and thought about how to tell the tale in English, and presently began.

“In the beginning, Rabbit had a very long, very bushy tail—even longer and bushier than the tail of Fox.” Unatsi grinned, letting the girl soak up that image before he went on. “Rabbit was very proud of his tail, of course, and he boasted and bragged about how lovely it was, and he flaunted it in front of all the other animals that they might be jealous. Fox hated all the boasting, of course—who likes a braggart?—so he made a plan about how he might end the boasting altogether.

“Winter came to the world, and it got so cold that all the water turned to ice. Fox had four fish, and he carried these down to one of the frozen lakes, cut a hole in the ice, and tied the fish to his tail, and waited.

“As soon as Fox saw Rabbit hopping along, he dropped his tail in the icy water. Of course, this all looked very silly to Rabbit, who asked Fox what he was doing. Fox replied that he was fishing.

“‘With your tail?’ Rabbit asked, incredulous and shivering at the thought.

“Fox smiled and replied, ‘Of course; that is the best way to fish.’

“Rabbit still didn’t quite believe him, so he asked how long he’d been fishing, and Fox replied that it hadn’t been long. Asked if he’d caught anything yet, Fox pulled his tail out of the water—with his four fish hanging off it. He said that he planned to trade the fish in the village, and get the last tail comb left.

“Rabbit thought about it, and decided that he might catch enough fish to trade if he went at it all night. He waited and politely bade farewell to Fox when Fox pointed out that it was late and cold, and he remained behind until Fox was out of sight—at which point he dropped his tail through the ice hole into the freezing water. It was very cold, but Rabbit really wanted the tail comb, so he persevered and stayed on the frozen lake all night long.

“When morning came, Fox came back to the lake and greeted Rabbit brightly, asking how the fishing was going. His teeth chattering, Rabbit tried to answer and lift himself up—but he couldn’t move; he was frozen to the ice! He struggled and begged Fox for help, and Fox smiled helpfully, giving Rabbit one huge push. Rabbit went skidding across the lake, and he hopped up and spun around to see if there was any fish on his tail—it was stuck in the frozen water!”

Unatsikanogeni grinned broadly, inclining his head and, for the moment, forgetting about his hunger and fear of dying. “And that is why rabbits have short tails,” he concluded mischievously.

<style type="text/css">
[html]
<style type="text/css">
</style>

ooc super short XD

Spirit guide? Adelle listened curiously as he spoke, describing the tradition to her. That removed Udvanti from being a healer, or a warrior, or anything else she might have imagined her as. How Udvanti would be told apart from any other deer was the mystery. She still didn't quite get it, but it sounded nice. Eagerly Adelle nodded her head, hoping to get the focus off death and onto something more light hearted that she could think about.

She listened to the story, tail wagging with curiosity as it filled the air around them. Rabbits with a long tail? Even bushier than a fox? Adelle crinkled her nose, trying to picture it. It was rather odd. How could the rabbits escape if they had tails that caught on everything? She had to agree with Fox, the rabbit was being rather annoying. The trick sounded rather mean, but she did like that it taught the rabbit a lesson. Why were all the rabbits changed by what happened to just one of them?

[/html]
[html]
unamoron!!

Unatsikanogeni had burst with questions when his mother first told him the story, his father quickly putting in his advice that Una not take it so seriously. A story was a story, and while the morals were something to pay attention to, the specifics could get a bit crazy. Rabbits very well might never have had such bushy, beautiful tails; but it was a nice way to tell someone familiar with the story to stop boasting so much. Unfortunately, as funny as the tales were, most of their truths were lost on Unatsi; he was still a bit more literal-minded, and it took someone with blunt but useful honesty like his spirit guide to set him back on course.

“There was only one Rabbit,” the red wolf said, answering her question with an eagerness that betrayed he’d asked the same thing when he was a puppy. “All others are his descendants—and, well, don’t ask me how they descended from him, I guess it’s rather like a—like a—like when you cut off a lizard’s tail and his tail grows back, only—” He blinked and shook his head. “I’ve no idea, to be honest. But the Creator can do anything it wants as far as I’m concerned.”

<style type="text/css">
[html]
<style type="text/css">
</style>

ooc murr

Only one rabbit? If there was only one rabbit, what did everyone eat? Were there lots and lots of squirrels? Did they eat deer all the time? Fish? It seemed very illogical for there to be only one rabbit. His eagerness was contagious, but it didn't explain the answer to her question very well. He was the first rabbit? How old was this story? And if all the other rabbits came from him, how did he make so many? The lizard tail completely confused her.

Well, that was disappointing. He couldn't explain. And had brought up more questions. What did the wolves eat when there was only one rabbit? Did they eat deer all the time? How does a lizard grow back it's tail? Have you ever seen it do that? The fact that the wolf she was talking to might keel over and expire at any time was completely forgotten, lost in the abundance of questions now exploding in her mind.

[/html]
[html]
unamoron!!

The girl seemed rather dubious, and Unatsi couldn’t blame her. It was for this reason that he didn’t join the teachers’ ranks; he knew the culture and the stories and everything that young AniWayans needed to learn to truly embrace their heritage, but he was terrible at explaining and sharing that knowledge. If he couldn’t relay a simple funny story about rabbits with bushy tails, then he wouldn’t be able to describe the story of creation, or the events of the past that shaped the Tribe.

She bombarded him with a manifold of questions, but Una kept up with the answers (such that they were), having forgotten about his imminent death. “A long time ago, I think the animals didn’t all eat each other—I mean, maybe the wolves ate grass and corn like the deer, and that’s why my Tribe grows crops in addition to feeding the livestock. Or there was fish, if Fox could catch fish then a wolf could, too. And I don’t know how the lizard grows its tail back, but when I was a little one I tried to grab its tail and it popped right off, and the lizard ran off like it was nothing. I wish I could do that, but I’d be leaving tails everywhere.” He nodded then patted the dark-tipped thing.

“And—oh,” the farmer said, as a wave of lightheadedness came over him. He grabbed at his head for a second and closed his eyes before it passed, taking the time to actually breathe, before blinking at her. “Great spirits, I’m hungry.”

<style type="text/css">
[html]
<style type="text/css">
</style>

ooc murr

Flabbergasted Adelle stared at him. Not eat each other? Why ever not? That was probably the most confusing statement she had ever heard in the entirety of her short life. She liked the taste of meat. Eating grain didn't sound fun at all. She could stomach it, and occasionally enjoy it, but at the end of the day she would always choose a meal with meat over one with grain and the like. It didn't sound like he knew exactly how it had worked, either.

It was a little frustrating to hear his reply, but his comment about the tails drew a giggle from her. Adelle wouldn't be losing her tail like that. It was quite firmly attached to her, and not about to be removed from her anytime soon. The sudden grip at his head reminded Adelle that he was dying, standing up quickly. How could she fix it? His comment sent her searching for prey, sniffing along the ground. Finding a mouse she rapidly pounced, squishing it. Dropping it in front of him Adelle's tail wagged. Not much, but it should help a little.

[/html]
[html]
+423

Unatsikanogeni had to grin back at her when she seemed dubious about his claim on ancient wolf nutrition—but it wasn’t so strange to a Tribe-raised child. They were taught respect of all life, first and foremost, and had cultivated crops for a few generations now to feed their livestock; these were in turn eaten, it was true, though the wolves relied mainly on wild beasts except for scarce or festive times.

All this thought of food made him hungrier.

He blinked dizzily as she suddenly stood up and headed off a little ways, and he wondered if he’d hallucinated her being there at all. After a moment, though, a tiny shape dropped before him, and he reflexively reached out to grab it; the little body bounced off the tips of his fingers when he was too slow, and it was in that instant that he realized what it was.

The urge to stuff the mouse in his mouth was overpowering, but he jerked his arm back as if he’d touched a rattlesnake. He shook his head at her, glad that she’d at least not left an open hog carcass or something before him; he wouldn’t have any self control left, then. Maybe that said something.

“Can’t,” Unatsi managed. “I mean—I appreciate the gesture, you know, I am really grateful that you care, but—there’s this, this thing—this fast—that we do in my Tribe in honor of the life in the world, or—or I forget the reason, but it’s what we spiritual folk do.” He turned his head so he wasn’t looking at the mouse. “You—you understand, right? I mean, we eat like the wolves in the stories for a full week, and we don’t eat anything that once breathed air or water. We don’t eat, but it shows that we—that we’re mad, really.” He shook his head, decided that was a bad idea, then put his face in his hands.

“In short,” he muttered through his fingers, “I can’t accept that, but really, thank you, you’ve been a huge help staving off my loneliness and everything, so at least I’m not hungry for company.” He peered at her with one green eye, hope lighting the orb for an instant. “The fast’s almost over, anyhow, and when it’s done with I’m going to get a big, I mean absolutely massive, wapiti and then just dig into it, and eat everything, and chew on the bones for months, and next time you see me I’ll be absolutely bloated!”

<style type="text/css">
[html]
<style type="text/css">
</style>

ooc murr

He didn't quite get the mouse when she'd dropped it the first time, stiff fingers flexing against the air. He must have been truly sick, unable to grasp the mouse. Dutifully Adelle picked up the mouse, ready to give it to him again so he could eat. The wolf didn't seem very pleased with her attempts to help, instead pulling away as if he had been stung. The dog's head tilted to the side, almost comical in appearance with the small mouse hanging limply out of her mouth.

Can't? What did he mean can't? Hearing that it was something spiritual explained a little, but not a lot. Pure bafflement was on her face at the end of his explanation. This whole starving thing made absolutely no sense. He seemed determined to follow it though. Grinning at the idea Adelle swallowed down the mouse. Alright. And I want some of the wapiti to eat too. If he lived that long. The starvation explained a lot.

[/html]
[html]
Wrap up in a couple of posts maybe? ^^

The girl removed the mouse promptly from his sight, and Unatsi shuddered as he swallowed reflexively, his gullet wanting a little yummy mouse of its own to slide down. He was glad that she didn’t bother him with more questions he wouldn’t be able to answer; if she prodded too hard at his faith, he might find it slipping away from what little sense it made to him. This was starvation, after all, even if they called it fasting, and even if it did have a good and spiritual reason behind it. He just hoped that he didn’t suffer any ill effects, and that maybe he’d be stronger next time—if there was a next time.

Instead, the golden wolfdog agreed with him, and Una grunted once in amusement. He eyed her for a second and managed to speak up after his little breakdown. “Well, if I’m going to deliver wapiti meat, I’ll have to know your name and where you live,” he said with a smile that, while small, was bright and showed a hint of life that he hadn’t thus far.

<style type="text/css">
She stared at him, watching his body quiver as she swallowed the mouse down. He wasn't healthy. At this point Adelle was convinced that he wasn't all there. She felt sorry for him, but the bright dog wasn't about to force him to eat something that he didn't want. She'd just turn away from it, and push the image of him slowly starving away from her mind. As long as she kept her mind on better things it couldn't be that bad after all.

Blinking in surprise Adelle had to stop from stepping back. There had been an awful lot of life in that grin there. She hadn't expected that. Especially not from someone who was close to death. Glancing off Adelle stared at the sky. She should probably start heading back. Adelle Vilhelmsen, from Casa di Cavalieri. Backing up she turned away. I have to head to my pack. Enjoy your...fasting.