you're dancing in quicksand
[html]

indent He could smell him. Smell the brute that had nearly killed his sister, the sister who had finally left her post in the name of love. Gabriel did not blame her. It had been part of the reason he had left the second time. Things came around, though. Things always came around. Above him, the sky was blanketed with stars. It was the first clear night in a while, and it made the temperature drop considerably. His breath hung in the air, and his eyes glowed hellishly. If he found that man tonight, he would tear his throat from his body.
indent The pace he moved at was slow, steady. Head low he trailed the old forest, winding his way towards the borders of the Place of Lightning and Thunder. Whether or not Skoll would be there he did not know. If that was the case, he would do nothing. The scent faded and Gabriel frowned, snorting out of his nose. Settling onto his haunches, the hybrid stared hard into the forest. It was not very late at all—the Loony Luna had begun its western decent when he had reached the moaning wood. Understanding his role and what the position required, Gabriel let out a sharp dog-like howl, though it was clearly several octaves deeper then any true dog.

[/html]
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... efinal.png);background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-bottom:140px; background-position:bottom center;">
He could smell him. Well, Phoenix didn't know exactly who he was, but it was obvious he was from the Land of Wuffluvers. That fact alone was enough to set Phoenix's hair on end, puffing him up to look even more massive than he already was. The scent reminded him of Faolin, but it obviously wasn't his good friend. Perhaps Skoll had been correct not to settle down once again in the Place of Lightning and Thunder. Phoenix didn't trust 1nferni one little bit, and he wasn't about to let them waltz around his borders, preparing for some strike. the Place of Lightning and Thunder would not fall on his watch, at least not without him fighting to the death to protect his 127.0.0.1 and family.

He had just been about to climb into his den with his mate and children and join them for a blissful night's sleep. Sadly, an aIpha's job was never done, and immediately he set off for the source of the scent. Phoenix growled as he walked, scanning endlessly until he found the intruder. Fortunately this "intruder" made his job easier, making advertising his location with a strange call. Phoenix found him only a few minutes afterward. "Can I... help you?" he asked, though the politeness of his words was not mirrored by his tone. At least he had managed to smooth down his fur. No matter what he thought of the the Land of Wuffluvers clan he had to keep his emotions in check. His true feelings were an asset he had to always keep hidden. The less this dog knew about him the less he could use against him.
[/html]
[html]

indent They were feared. This was the one thing Gabriel had hoped the clan would keep, even after its matriarch had left for lands unknown. This much was clear from the tone of the words thrown his direction. Keeping a placid look on his face, refusing to allow himself to come undone while in the presence of a man he did not yet know, the Aquila gave no ground. “Yes,” he said, recognizing this male as the Pheonix who was said to be Omega from his scent. “As you are the current leader of this place, it seems right that I should discuss our standing with the Place of Lightning and Thunder.” Gabriel was not here on personal business. He was here as the Land of Wuffluvers’s representative.

indent “I’m sure you are aware that Skoll has returned,” he continued, voice cold with rage. Gabriel would not give the source of his information, and so he played dumb. “As we are. I’m advising you, for the protection of your pack, to be wary of his ways. I don’t know if you’ve accepted him back or not, but if so, keep him on a short leash. If he comes near my land I will not hesitate to strike him or the place he calls 127.0.0.1.” Vicious, aloof. the Land of Wuffluvers’s mask.

[/html]
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... efinal.png);background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-bottom:140px; background-position:bottom center;">
Despite his mood, Phoenix did not fear the Land of Wuffluvers. While neither species could truthfully claim superiority over the other, only a blind fool would deny that the average coyote was naturally much larger and stronger than the average dog. the Land of Wuffluvers would need to outnumber his pack significantly if they were to be a real threat, though Phoenix was unsure of their current population. No, what he feared was the idea of open warfare. He was not afraid to fight, but he feared for the safety of his young children in such a violent environment. While Phoenix would never harm a young dog, the clan had already shown they had no such compunctions for coyote pups.

Phoenix waited in silence, letting the other speak as he looked him over suspiciously. So. This hybrid was in charge of the clan now. Yet still, a name flashed in his memory from his interactions with Faolin: Gabriel. This canine that looked more coyote than dog certainly wasn’t what Phoenix had been expecting in a leader of a clan of coyotes, but then he somehow doubted that the Aquila had expected such an odd coyote to answer the call for the Omega. Phoenix had to be at least twice his size, and his odd coloration and long braided mane didn’t help his appearance any.

In the back of his mind Phoenix wondered what happened to Kaena, the insane female he’d met a long time ago. Perhaps this one had killed her to usurp her power—but however she had lost her throne, it was unimportant now. But perhaps there was yet a chance for peace, since Phoenix didn’t really know the current leader before him. When he finished, Phoenix drew himself up and looked Gabriel square in the eyes. He would not act subservient towards anyone on his own lands, no matter how threatening he seemed. They were at least equals, counterparts. “Skoll ain’t here,” Phoenix answered simply. He didn’t say where Skoll was now; that knowledge he would keep to himself.

“But if he had accepted my offer, I woulda kept him away from your lands. Th’last thing I want is a war between our lands, Gabriel.” Phoenix didn’t think that Gabriel had expected him to know his name or not. He hoped to throw him off-balance a bit, or at least come off as looking like he knew what he was doing. “the Place of Lightning and Thunder will continue to respect your borders, you got just as much a right to ‘em as wolves do. But that also works the other way. If anybody from the Land of Wuffluvers comes near my borders with ill intent we won’t hesitate t’do what’s necessary t’protect ourselves either. I had friends in Syemv, you know. I know what you did to them.” He was not being accusing by bringing that incident up. He just wanted Gabrial to know that he would see right through any acts of innocence they tried to put on.
[/html]
[html]

indent Gabriel studied the man as he spoke, this peculiar coffee colored Omega. While he was larger, Gabriel was not intimidated by size. He himself was as large as any regular dog. The words offered gave him several answers—Skoll was not in the Place of Lightning and Thunder, but he was close. Phoenix did not want a war and would have his borders on alert. Good. Of course, then came the accusation, even if his tone was attempting to be anything but. “Then you know I will not hesitate to do the same if the time comes for it,” he said quietly, as if this might alter how the threat sounded.
indent “I don’t think you’re a liar, Phoenix,” Gabriel knew his name, just as his had been known. It didn’t surprise him, that two leaders might know each other. “But if he carries your pack’s scent or if he returns here…well, that might be bad for all of us.” A faint, coy smile threatened to break his face. This was really just a game, and one Gabriel was intent on not loosing.

[/html]
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... efinal.png);background-repeat: no-repeat; padding-bottom:140px; background-position: bottom center;">
While the coffee-colored coyote was unusually large, muscular, and just about bristling with raw power, the fact was that he lacked experience in combating other wolves. He had been in only, what?, two or three scraps in his lifetime. Though he had been mostly victorious the fact still remained that he lacked training and discipline. Anyone with such had an advantage over him, since he relied merely of his brute strength to get him through. Usually that was enough, but if there was one bit of wisdom ingrained into Phoenix’s fiber, it was that luck never held out forever.

Phoenix remained stolid, impassive as yet more veiled threats were tossed his way. This was not a game to him, at least not one that he was an experienced player in, but Phoenix was adaptable and could learn quickly—especially when the cost of losing could be his life or, more importantly, the lives of his loved ones. “Skoll has saved my life, an’ the lives of just ‘bout everyone in this pack, more times than I can count,” Phoenix stated. How and when was unimportant, but he only stated that fact to make a point. Use of half-truths were a skill he was just becoming skilled in. “For that, we owe him a debt. He is welcome in the Place of Lightning and Thunder if ever ever decides he wants t’come back, whether you like it or not.”

Phoenix never know what kind of relationship his predecessor had with the coyotes of the Land of Wuffluvers, but he’d always had the feeling that something was influencing his viewpoint, perhaps even impairing his judgement. Even though one of his closest friends was a member of that clan he had no delusions about the rest of the bunch. They were dangerous and treacherous. Phoenix knew perhaps he had gone too far with his last statement, but he did not want Gabriel thinking that he feared them. “However, it would only be under the condition that he swears to avoid your lands at all costs. If he ever broke that promise while livin’ in my pack, an’ hurt one of your members… I promise you, I’ll help you kill him myself.” Melodramatic, but he was mostly bluffing. He knew Skoll would never do such a thing. “But I know it wouldn’t ever come t’that. Skoll may be a jerk, yeah, but he’s got a word. He told me he don’t want no more trouble, an’ I believe him.”
[/html]
[html]

indent Gabriel was never deceived about his own prowess; he could face this man and stand his ground, but he doubted he could win. It was a matter of size and skill, of course, and while Gabriel had both the other male’s factor remained with the first (as far as Gabriel could tell by looking at him). So he sat, listened, and waited. The speech given was a simple one, defending the bastion of child-murderers and war-mongers. Whatever Skoll had done or not done did not matter—all that Gabriel cared about was what he had seen, and that was enough. He had not always hated wolves, but he had learned to in time. Racism (if one could call it that) was part of the blood.

indent There was a vague sense of reliance in Phoenix’s defense, but Skoll was only one man. He was a threat, this was true; but Gabriel had the mind and bodies to take him down. Of course, then came the clause. Both of Gabriel’s ears went up at the promise, and here he did allow himself to smile. Liar. “I hope so. We had an understanding with Gibraltar, and I hope the Place of Lightning and Thunder continues to do so under your rule.” Rising to his feet, Gabriel eyed the other male coolly. “Unless you have any other issues to address, I’ll take my leave.”

[/html]
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... efinal.png);background-repeat: no-repeat; padding-bottom:140px; background-position: bottom center;">
Such an odd thing, a promise. Looking back, Phoenix couldn’t remember if he ever made one before, except perhaps his oath to Iskata that he would never intentionally do anything to hurt her. The Omega didn’t need to make them; his word was good enough. When he said he’d do something, he’d do it, simple as that. It might as well have been a promise, even without holding one hand in the air or signing the deal with his own blood. But Gabriel couldn’t be expected to know that about him. Nevertheless, as soon as the words were uttered out of his mouth, a sickened knot formed in his stomach. He knew it would never come to the point where Skoll would force Phoenix to have to kill him, but just the very thought still made him ill.

But the words were let out, and Phoenix knew that Gabriel was just sick enough to hold Phoenix to that unholy deal. What else could Phoenix do though? He was still knew to this kind of bargaining, and he could foresee no other way of allowing Skoll back into the Place of Lightning and Thunder without risking a war, should the bronze coyote ever choose to return. Phoenix returned his “counterpart’s” gaze, somehow managing to seem unperturbed outwardly. “You’re th’one who came to me. If you got other business, name it. We’ll leave you alone if you leave us alone—that’s really the only issue that concerns me.”

Still, though his psychic perceptiveness did not include precognition, Phoenix could not help but feel that this was just the beginning. Deep down he just knew that he and Gabriel would butt heads again in the future, and many times.
[/html]