little victories.
[html]

ooc.
Time for Dahmer to be social!

ic.

He stuck to the trees, venturing out only when needed. Dahmer had explored much of the pack lands, but preferred the comfort of the forest. The former assassin was discovering that adaptation was more difficult than he originally anticipated. When he decided to leave the Guild and give up his old life, he assumed the transition would be much like his decision process: difficult and long, but only a single phase. It was far from that. Even though he'd left the environment, he found it next to impossible to go about any routine without his training kicking in at some point. He would move silently, keeping to the shadows when available, constantly scouting for any place he could use for cover. He knew that a more relaxed nature would come to him in time and with practice – but it was hard going. He found it easier to deal with his urges while in his wolf form – they didn't come to him as often then. On the job the assassins rarely, if ever used their lupine forms. That was purely for travel. As a result, he didn't feel constantly ready for combat while moving on four legs. It helped a little, but nothing soothed him more than the protective shadows of the forest. As a result, the majority of the male's time was spent to the east. He'd already found a place to call his own, too.

It was a little ways from the shore – about a five minute stroll into the trees. On his second day in Casa di Cavalieri he had found it: a great tree that stood proudly amongst others that could only hope to touch the sky like its branches did. The trunk was enormous and thick, roots reaching far into the ground and along a large bank that rose from behind it. Its branches were strong and sturdy, adorned with bright leaves – a few had even begun to change. It was a place where he could retreat to in order to be alone with his thoughts. He enjoyed the familiarity of being under the same roof as his pack: it reminded him of being back at the Guild. However, he found himself needing time he could spend in solitude.

On this particular evening, Dahmer was making his way back to his special spot. He moved at a leisurely pace, thick legs taking him up and over the rocks and logs he came across. His tail was held high in contentment, despite the fact that he was soaking wet. The massive wolf paused for a moment and shook himself vigorously, spraying the trees around him. The large fish he held in his mouth flapped against his maw looking as though it was still alive and struggling to free itself. He'd caught this one and a few others a little while ago. He planned on enjoying this one back at his den.

Satisfied that he was at least dry enough, Dahmer moved forward again. A cool breeze drifted through the trees – clearly a cause for gossip based on the way the leaves were whispering. He was far from being able to understand the trees' language and didn't dwell on it. Instead he enjoyed the feeling of the wind against his drying fur. He was calm and in a good mood – for once Dahmer was living in the moment and not focusing on past.

[/html]
[html]

OOC i see your assassin and raise you one child warrior Big Grin

Adelle had been watching the new pack member. Busy as she was with her self imposed training schedule the young dog hadn't taken the time to introduce herself to him. She'd merely seen him skulking around, hardly interacting. Like her he preferred being on four legs, though hers was the burlier form that her grandpa preferred when alive, and not the natural form she'd been born with. Adelle had finally decided to introduce herself, taking a break from training to see what he was like.

Trotting through the land Adelle traversed through the woods. She was growing more difficult to track, no longer destroying everything in her path as her large form trundled through the woods. The snaps of branches and the like could still be heard, but it was no more than the normal amount of noise, relatively quiet compared to the large bulk she carried. Moving around Adelle let out a deep bark, tail wagging as she looked over the big wolf. Hi, I'm Adelle. Welcome to Casa!

<style type="text/css">
.adelaze b {font-weight:bold; color:#d3ffff; font-family:georgia; text-shadow:#48574f 1px 1px 3px;}
.adelaze p {padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:0px;}
.adelaze {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#c4ecd6; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/2JXhy.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #48574f; padding:360px 0px 5px 0px; font-family:arial; font-size:13px; color:#48574f; line-height:16px; text-align:justify;}
.adelaze .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px; text-align:center;}
.adelaze p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.adelaze p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]

ooc.
Sorry for the wait! My internet hasn't been very reliable lately! Do you mind if we have this backdated a few days? Dahmy isn't in Casa anymore, but I really didn't want to give up this thread!

ic.

It was amazing how quickly this became his life: he would find himself in a moment of content and thoughts of Sherlock would invade, wrenching apart any peace he had previously managed. He couldn't help it – when he was happy, he thought of her. It was no surprise: before now, his happiest moments all involved her, aside from a select few. She was his partner in many ways than one – every way except the way he wanted most. And so thoughts of her intruded whenever they could, seizing his attention from whatever he was trying to focus on. He had told himself he'd left her behind – both physically and figuratively, but in the end that rarely mattered, did it? She wasn't here with him physically – but in every other way. In his thoughts, his memories, his wishful thinking. But even then it wasn't the same. How could it be? In some ways, her imagined presence was better, if only because she said the things he desperately wished she would. These fantasies would play themselves out in his mind and he would become drunk with them, but as always they would end and Dahmer would be left feeling emptier than before.

These thoughts were just beginning to intrude once again, so the sudden appearance of Adelle was more than welcome. He turned to her, a grateful smile twisting his lips as he lay the fish aside in order to greet the dog. It was interesting how quickly his dynamic had changed. Hours ago the the male had been craving solitude and the silence that came along with it. He had needed to be far away from the crowding company of the fort and all the members it was home for. When he finally managed to break off by himself, it took a mere two hours for him to need company. It wasn't exactly for companionship – he didn't long to become best friends forever with someone. He just needed someone to distract him from his thoughts and memories. It was selfish by all means, but there it was. Hey there. I'm Dahmer, it's great to meet you. He turned to face Adelle fully, lowering his haunches to the ground. Thanks for the welcome. Have you been in Casa for long? It was a distraction by all means – but it didn't mean the male wasn't interested.

[/html]
[html]

OOC go ahead

The large fish was dropped to the ground, Adelle's gaze shooting over to it. She had proven herself terrible at fishing the last time she'd gone, more interested in splashing around in the water and enjoying herself than actually catching anything. Perhaps if she tried again, actually focusing this time, she would find herself capable of catching and eating the fish. The flashed smile was welcome, keeping in tune with Adelle's levity.

His greeting was polite, giving her the name to use. Dahmer. It was a simple enough name, smiling at the knowledge given. I've lived here all my life. At least, as far as Adelle remembered. She hadn't actually been born in Casa, having come from another place. She had never asked what had happened to her parents, something she would never learn now. The key to her past was gone, and all that was left was what she made up, and had been taught. Believing she'd been born in Casa helped give her those roots.

<style type="text/css">
.adelaze b {font-weight:bold; color:#d3ffff; font-family:georgia; text-shadow:#48574f 1px 1px 3px;}
.adelaze {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#c4ecd6; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/2JXhy.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #48574f; padding:360px 0px 5px 0px; font-family:arial; font-size:13px; color:#48574f; line-height:16px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

ooc.
Thanks.

ic.

He hadn't been out of the Guild for long, so having conversation just for social interaction was still a novelty to Dahmer. It wasn't as though none of the Assassins spoke to each other in any context – but their lives were run by the war and more often than not, discussions invariably involved mission tactics, advice for the younger members and of course the legends they all loved and repeated. It always seemed to come back to the jobs they worked day in, day out. So this was nice – conversation for conversation sake. It also offered another opportunity: for him to get to know his packmates on a more intimate level. Dahmer preferred one on one interactions. He felt it was a better way to get to know others, there was no struggle to be heard above others. Topics became more specific, a nice change from the general topics that seemed to crop up in groups.

What caught Dahmer interest the most though, was Adelle herself. Having grown up in seclusion, Dahmer had never met someone who wasn't 100% wolf. He was fascinated by those whose blood was mixed with other canines. How did it happen? How did they feel being surrounded with wolves? Were their instincts any different? He knew they were all more than capable of surviving in the wild, but they had to adapt in different ways in order to live. Did Adelle have to adjust her hunting techniques in order to take down prey? Dahmer had many questions, but didn't want to risk offending his new friend by blurting them out. So he stuck to what he felt was a safe topic for now. He nodded along to her answer, the smile returning to his lips. It would be nice to live in one place for one's whole life without having to seek refuge. If Jasper Valley wasn't the way it is, Dahmer knew it would be a place he'd stick around in for as long as possible. As it was, he sought sanctuary elsewhere. And here he was. It was good to know the area was thought of as a good place to live. Your whole life? This must be a very special place for you. Were yours parents born here as well? Have you ever travelled away from your home? He enjoyed hearing the stories of others. It helped him focus on something other than his own sordid past.

[/html]
[html]

OOC here!

Dahmer nodded, following along on the conversation. Adelle's chest swelled with pride, reflecting on her home. Casa was a wonderful place to be, with it's great warriors and those that guided her. There was no reason to turn away from it. She didn't plan on leaving it. Not the place where her grandpa had died. Happily she nodded. Her whole life was focused here. She still remembered hunger from traveling with Grandpa, but those memories were faint, from the beginning of her life, and washed out by the many months of being well fed.

Hesitation struck the young dog at the next part. She didn't know what the answer was. What did she know of her parents? That her grandpa loved them, and that they had been great warriors. They had died when she was young. That was all. Why hadn't she ever asked for more? Because when her grandpa was alive, he was enough. All the family she needed. Now, she had nothing at all. I have traveled out in the lands near here, down to another pack. My parents though...I don't know. Admitting she didn't know anything about them was embarrassing, especially before a stranger.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

ooc.
I've been out of sorts lately. So I'm really sorry for the ridiculous wait!

ic.

Dahmer often wondered what he would be doing now if he hadn't left. Sherlock would have returned from her mission long ago, and the two of them would probably be off on their own again. Things had been escalating between their guild and the Shadowrunners – another reason Dahmer felt so guilty about leaving. Instead of being here, enjoying conversation with a new friend, he and Sherlock would probably be in the middle of a mission. His partner would be coming up with theory after theory, coming up with endless strategies for their next move. He would patiently listen to every one, offering his own opinion when he felt she was paying attention. Sherlock had a tendency to drone on, talking herself into silence. She would work through things on her own, preferring not to listen to any input that wasn't her own. It was one of the reasons Dahmer was her only partner: no one else was patient enough to deal with her. They worked well together, though. When a plan was finally settled on, the two would execute it perfectly. Dahmer usually made the kill, but the plans were almost always hers.

The male shook his head slightly, an apologetic smile gracing his lips. It had been a while since the male fell victim to the memories that overcame him. He'd been doing so well, managing to keep thoughts of her at bay. Especially when he was trying converse with another. How rude was that? He needed to do better! He could succumb to the memories later, tonight while he tried to sleep. But for now, he needed to focus.

He managed to clear his mind just in time for Adelle's answer. A slight frown overcame his sheepish smile as he listened to his words, suddenly uncertain. Had he asked an inappropriate question? The male hoped he hadn't touched on a sensitive subject – it would be just like him to pull this off. Only Dahmer could ruin a perfectly good conversation by asking stupid questions. He rallied desperately, grasping for something to say in response. I've travelled a great deal before coming here. It's nice to visit places you've never been before. Do you enjoy going to new places? He was able to smile now, thinking of all the places he'd been – during his training as a youth, his many missions throughout his career as an assassin and his time spent making his way here. The destinations blurred in his mind as her flipped through the memories, coming to a rest at Jasper Valley. Yes, travelling was good. But some places... Or do you enjoy sticking close to home? ...some places were worth staying in.

[/html]
Was it not normal? Adelle had never really reflected on who her parents were. Her grandpa was her family, she had the pack, and that was good enough. As the only pup her age in the pack she hadn't had any example of what a normal family would look like. Should she have had her parents? Thinking on it Hadley and Isa were always with Amatha and protecting her, and they were the pup's parents. So where was her own? Why didn't she remember them? Frowning herself now Adelle wondered if she'd done something wrong to lose them.

Dahmer's words broke through that train of thought, stopping her from going any further. Sharp blue eyes focused on him, the large pup still wondering a little about it. I haven't traveled a lot, but it is nice to head out and see others. I've been to another pack. Skoll's pack was nice and close, and she'd gone on trips to the city. I wouldn't say that it's because I like home too much to explore, but I'm always busy with training. I don't really ever have time to take off and do that.