Dawn of Radiance
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... mes_v2.png); background-color:#000000; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right:0px; padding-top: 335px; border-radius:10px; -moz-border-radius:10px; -webkit-border-radius:10px; border-bottom-left-radius:0px; border-bottom-right-radius:0px; border-top-right-radius:10px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:0px; -moz-border-bottom-right-radius:0px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:10px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:0px; -moz-border-bottom-right-radius:0px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:10px;">

ooc: Form, Lupus. Sunrise.

So he had been recently informed that he was going to go on and take his place as diplomat in another meeting. Thus far the meetings that he had taken part in hadn't gone too badly. Only two of them being particularly unpleasant. So he had to wonder just what this meeting was going to be like, despite their differences Jaden hadn't actually done too badly during the meetings. Maybe with some learning he could actually become an average level word smith. But unfortunately his skill didn't seem to lie there, and X'ies didn't have the Patience to teach him to be one with everything else that was going on within the pack and outside.

Unfortunately it would seem in this trip the one that would be accompanying him would be X'yrin. The very one that he would rather not be around at this point in time. It would make things overly awkward and having t deal with that for multiple days on end would be more of an annoyance than having to descend down into the pack grounds to actually sleep as opposed to just staying up here in the mountains. X'ies had pretty much packed up what he needed and was now sitting down in the light of the rising sun to relax.

Word Count: 223.

[/html]
[html]
[/html]As one creature laid in the sun, another looked towards the sky with a confused mind.
The sun must be broken.
Definitely broken, because if it was working properly, as it had back at home, the south end of Africa, it would be dimmer. Colder. Perhaps the ruler of the sun in this district had improperly left it up too high. Not that this particular fault was unpleasant, but combined with the heaping pile of various reversals of what should be natural, the ponderous hyena grew increasingly cynical. If the spirits had done their job properly, there would be no gangly jackals challenging all that was beautiful, proper, and natural with that alien two-legged posture. Moreover, three of them would not be able to subdue an entire clan of the the only correctly-made creatures in a world of deformity. Most of all, they would not have been able to put that clan on a witch-touched log, a boat, a thing that, in the proper scheme of things, would still be a tree. None of them would have been sent off into the great saltwater abyss that killed all of them but one.
The fateful, magicked wood had only born the poor creature off to an even more perverted wonderland. Food with quills. The more the beast thought on the concept, the more mind-numbingly stupid it seemed. Food existed to be eaten. Sure, they could put up token resistance: hooves, horns, speed, and the like. But food completely covered in spikes--
There it was again. The headache. The land stretched on before the dark, spotted paws of the African, a space pregnant with fresh perversions. For a moment, staying still sounded like the best plan. After all, the porcupine had left the unfortunate attacker with a dozen quills in the upper foreleg area. At least I got the thing.... It probably bled to death. A comforting thought. That'll teach it.
The hyena's jaws clamped around another spike and yanked hard. The pain sent ripples along the muzzle and the quiet scent of blood off into the air. At home, blood beckoned predators.
With a sigh, the tired beast continued forward, not really looking at the path ahead until the presence of another manifested itself on the winds.

The creature looked up and sharply to the right. When had that other thing gotten there, the--and the proper word escaped for a moment--wolf? Did he just sit down there, or had he been sitting there for awhile? Something escaping the notice like that... well, the thought was troubling, even if the unawareness came from injury. Wolves looked disturbingly like jackals. They had the same low noses.

Shylome took a few steps in that direction, sitting down and staring for a moment. Then came the laugh. "Wie's jy, jakkals?"
A pause. Oh. That's right.
Another laugh, "Apologies. Who are you?"[html]
[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... mes_v2.png); background-color:#000000; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right:0px; padding-top: 335px; border-radius:10px; -moz-border-radius:10px; -webkit-border-radius:10px; border-bottom-left-radius:0px; border-bottom-right-radius:0px; border-top-right-radius:10px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:0px; -moz-border-bottom-right-radius:0px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:10px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:0px; -moz-border-bottom-right-radius:0px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:10px;">

X'ies was for the most part a creature of pure logic. Now imagine how he would react when greeted with a completely foreign sight to him. He had no idea just how he was supposed to react to this one, it smelled, looked and sounded like nothing he had ever encountered before. Immediately his curious nature compelled him to move forward and look around the creature. It spoke, making a sound similar to laughing as it did so. Something about Jackals, then it swiftly apologized and asked him who he was. " My name is X'ies Lambda, I belong to a pack that live within this area...".

He was cautious, but approached slowly, ensuring that he wasn't making any quick or aggressive movements as he did so. He had to admit that this was somewhat of a new and strange encounter for him. This creature was not something that he recognized, and because of that he was left at a bit of a loss for words as to what he was supposed to expect from this creature. Other wolves were easy to read, easy to know. But this thing so alien to his senses. X'ies had no idea what he would do, the thing was larger than he was, looked stronger. If it attacked, he would be placed at somewhat of a disadvantage. Yet...he did not call for aid in driving the creature off. He was too curious.

"..Just who, what are you?".

Word Count: 253.

[/html]
[html]
[/html]The hyena's dark eyes followed the wolf's motions as he drew curiously closer. Certain signs remained universal among most living things. Slow movements and straightforward answers put the hyena's mind at ease, even as it paused to yank another quill from its chest before answering.

The African knew precious little of wolves, having gleaned the knowledge from the friendly ones aboard the vessel set for this strange land. They were not jackals and possessed considerably more bulk. "Wolves are large jackals," however, was needlessly reductionist and moreover harmful, and despite the strong temptation to do so, Shylome suppressed the idea, especially since wolves had intervened in a situation that would have ended in a slow and horrifying death.

The mention of the word "pack" brought a fleeting tension. "Pack"... Jackals lived in those. Proper creatures lived in a clan, and--

"My name is Shylome," the hyena broke through the destructive thoughts a little too suddenly, accidentally spitting the bloodied quill.

It stood to its feet out of amicable reflex. Back home, this would be the part where they would jam their noses into each other's groins, but the jackals back home did not greet each other that way, the wolves on the ship did not greet each other that way, and the newcomer could not help but conclude that it was not the proper procedure in this case and just stood politely.

As for the question, "What am I?" the hyena lacked a proper answer. The Clan contained a shockingly insular culture. Nothing liked hyenas, therefore hyenas were "souls" and almost everyone else was unilaterally a "thing" or worse. Persecution produced that.

But hyenas did not exist here, and hyenas did not exist at home anymore either as far as Shylome was concerned. Clans are important, and forming social bonds to fall back on when the hard times came was a priority, at least for survival in this new place.

"What am I?" The repetition was ponderous and slow. "Well, if you call things by their names, then you have power over them. Is it not the same in this land, Mevrou? I will tell you this. See my teeth?" The hyena grinned for a moment in demonstration. "They are the same as yours." They were piled up atop one another in the back and for cracking dead thing's bones. "See my ears?" One was pawed for demonstration. "They are the same as yours." They were round like a bear's and not that similar to his at all other than their purpose. "I have four paws," the beast held one up for examination. It was broad, hairless on the bottom, and strangely webbed. God knows why. "I have a tail, like you." The aforementioned, curly pom-pom. "You are only missing spots," and without spots, how did they ever tell each other apart? Well, they came in different colors. Like clouds. Very strange. "Are we really so different that we need to be different whats? Come now. We're practically relatives." The hyena held up its head jauntily, cackling for a moment nervously. "Whatever you are, I am."[html]
[/html]
[html]

Suffice to say that X'ies had not been expecting such a response from the creature. He looked at it very carefully before coming to a stark conclusion. Number one this creature was intelligent, and not the kind of basic intellect he had come to expect from soem of his fellow pack members and well..generally his entire species. ie) enough intellgence to remember to breathe and rut. For that reason his curiousity peaked only more, her response indicated to him that she did not wish to be placed in an outsider catagory, was there a reason for this?

Or was it just the creature being enigmatic about its own origins. "..I see, very interesting answer...". He wondered at this point if the rules on tresspassing still applied to this situation. Whenever a tresspasser was found on their lands a call needed to go up in order to have the leadership give them permission to walk freely. But then that only really applied to other wolves, and despite its response this thing did not seem like a wolf to him. Judging by the quills in its muzzle though it had recently attacked one of those spiked creatures that roamed the land slowly. Though by this ones size and apparant power in that size, he would have expected it to go after larger prey....or was it like them in that it prefered to hunt such things in groups rather than take them down alone?

" So, creature-that-is-like-me....do you have a name?...a family?".

Word Count: 285.

[/html]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
.shylome p
{
text-indent: 20px;
}
</style>

An "interesting" answer. Fortunately, this wolf had not been offended by the layered vagueness of the largely inaccurate response. It was the truth as far as Shylome was concerned. The insurmountable weirdness of the land made the difference between them negligible in the scheme of things. He had a group, something this lost individual wanted and needed to gain at least some semblance of placement and familiarity--a point of reference to define this new life.

"Ja, it is Shylome," came the answer with its previous enthusiasm. The cheer faded in the next sentence. "My family is with our ancestors. I do not know how you wolves believe, but they are resting now... killed by creatures that stood only on their back legs. They were not birds. Jackals... Is the word the same here?" A shadow passed over the African's countenance. The dark eyes briefly reflected the shifts and turbulence of a storm as they stared off at the distant clouds.

But soon enough, the hyena's attention returned to the wolf and the present and possibly the future. "I was hoping to find a new family and a land without jackals. I imagine a place without any sort of two-legs would be asking too much." Another quill was idly yanked from the pit beneath the arm and spat upon the ground next to its sibling. "Your land has disappointed me so far. I see a fat, lazy creature to eat and it defies me with these spikes. I expect more perversions."

[/html]
[html]

The creature amused him, it hhad intellegence and seemed to have a dislike for Jackals that was based upon a past event. His mind trailed to Sira, my that would be a fun meeting. Something horrible had happened tothat Jackal which had left her scarred for life and almost inconprehensable. He could only imagine the fun he would have witnessing Sira interact with this creature, far bigger than she and witha hatred for her kind. Though by rules he would be required to intervine in any conflict...well still the reactions would be amusing. " Indeed, unfortunatly this land is one were perversions are ripe....for some reason our kind seem to be taking on the two legged form more often than not....it is disgusting...worse yet some even feel the need to wear cloth on their bodies!....others see fit to ride horses!....why would you ride another beast if you can move faster without it?...the senselessness is everlasting it would seem". He sat down in front of it and tilted his head.

" Thankfully...my family is less idiotic...we mantain four legs as a rule of thumb...if it is a new family you seeek, perhaps I could welcome you to mine?".

Word Count: .

[/html]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
.shylome p
{
}
</style>

The hyena stared blankly for a moment. "Clothes?" A pause. "Horses?"

Must be local words. The sailors who picked her up had said as much. "Oh! Horses are beasts you have here. And clothes are things like a jackal might wear over her pieletjie." He chuckled and grinned, satisfied with his own deduction.

And then she sat down again, still smiling her jagged smile. "I would be nothing short of honored and ingratiated, Mevrou... X'ies."

In all honesty, the creature wasn't sure what he was getting himself into. Sure, wolves were superficially sort of like hyenas. They lived in packs and they killed things and they spoke similar languages, but he couldn't imagine how exactly a group could be structured properly when nature had seen fit to castrate their females. "You will have to teach me of your... culture. I am eager to learn, if your people are very different ."

[/html]
[html]

Ah, indeed this creature was pleasant to be around. They seemed to have similar ideas on the foolishness of people nowadays. And better yet it wanted to join with their family. However X'ies felt that beyond himself the creature might have trouble adapting to the personallities that made up the family. At least until the assimilation process kicked in, then it might be slightly easier. " Very well then, I shall call my leader and we shall do the formalities". He would send a call up into the air to cll in either Jaden or X'yrin to the meeting. He would of course have a few seconds to speak to the creature plainly.

" Our leader will come and will accept you into our midst..lets just hope she sticks to the four legs...."

Word Count:197

[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... ndrops.png); background-color:#d9d3cd; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right:0px; padding-top: 300px; border-radius:15px; -moz-border-radius:15px; -webkit-border-radius:15px; border-bottom-left-radius:15px; border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px;">

ooc:

After the call was sounded, the response was swift enough. Fueled by the adrenaline of her morning training, the Nomad was quick to heed the demanding call of her Lambda brethren. Her annoyance was replaced by curiosity, knowing that it was not like X'ies to call without reason. What could the situation have been that the Lambda felt he could not take care of it himself? Perhaps it was similar to the instance where his brother had come looking for him. It was not unlikely given the influx of Nomads that had traveled to these lands, but she could not let herself feel too enthused about this possibility. To prematurely accept it would rouse a hope her heart would be too weak to handle should it not be what was expected. Better she adopt the neutral mentality, to accept what may than hope for something more.

Her limbs worked rhythmically to bring her closer to the borders. As her muzzle rose to catch the wind she smelled that of the Lambda and something quite strange entangled with it. The reason for his call? She needn't guess as the image of the pair came nearer; grey male present before an odd, speckled creature both large and vicious looking. Seemingly both were in pleasant conversation, which only raised the question of how this could be.

"X'ies?" she addressed the Lambda when near, coming to stand alongside him though her questioning gaze did not leave the creature's stout face.

245 words.

<style>
.ooctable, .oocinfo {
background-image:none;
padding:10px;
line-height:12px;
margin:5px auto; width:85%;
background-color:#938d93;
border:1px solid #2d242d;
font-size:10px;
color:#2d242d;
border-radius:2px;
border-style: dashed;
-moz-border-radius:2px;
-webkit-border-radius:2px; }

.oocinfo {
width:250px;
margin:5px; }
</style>

[/html]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
.shylome p
{
}
</style>

Formalities. Sounded simple enough. She laughed nervously. Honestly, if she had to see another two-legs so soon after that thing with the abominable boat--

Fortunately, the alpha that responded did so with all feet touching the ground. Shylome relaxed, albeit the pain from the half-dozen quills still in her armpit prevented her from being able to do so entirely.

The hyena smiled amicably and wagged her tail as she'd seen the wolves on the boats do. Her smell was something between a half-digested goat and a burnt bar of soap (there was a flower in there somewhere), and the gesture made the scent louder. There was something inheritly masculine in it.

The confusion and possible suspicion that she read on the female's face did nothing to shrink Shylome's grin. In fact, she stretched even wider than before, hoping it would make her appear amicable. The difference in bulk impressed upon her the need for a humble image. At home, higher-ranked members commonly beat up subordinates, even if said subordinates were larger and stronger. She didn't want to challenge anyone who had been in her prospective new clan longer than she had.

To this end, she laid down and folded her ears back, making herself shorter than this other wolf. "Your charming friend X'ies says that I may be accepted into your clan. Is this true?"

[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... ndrops.png); background-color:#d9d3cd; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right:0px; padding-top: 300px; border-radius:15px; -moz-border-radius:15px; -webkit-border-radius:15px; border-bottom-left-radius:15px; border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px;">

ooc:

Confusion. She could not rightly make heads or tails of the creature seemingly smiling before her. Though it was humble enough to lower itself to the ground, X’yrin could not be certain that this behavior was one of respect. Perhaps it was tired? Relaxing? Oh this was an oddity to behold! And its scent…its body; she could only assume it was male but even the body raised something of a question. What exactly had her companion found?

Yet even in her awe, when the creature spoke, the Nomad listened and wore surprise plainly upon her muzzle. “Accepted?” She looked down at the creature, drawing nearer til her Halfling form towered over it. She lowered her nose to its side, nose twitching as she tried in vain to place its scent. From shoulder to beneath its arm, she prodded lightly as if placing her nostrils closer would give her an answer to what was unspoken. But what she did find was that the animal was injured as she nearly poked her nose on the pointed things sticking out from under its arm. “If it is help you need…” her voice held the inflexion of confusion but still she carried on with some sense of certainty. “We can assist you. However…I must ask. Who…rather…what sort of wolf are you? You are foreign, yes?”

221 words.

<style>
.ooctable, .oocinfo {

.oocinfo {
</style>

[/html]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
.shylome p
{
}
</style>

So apparently sniffing was part of the greeting, Shylome thought. Unless it was just the she-wolf attempting to place her scent. That would make sense. There were things like wolves back in Africa: painted wolves, feral domestic dogs, and jackals. Shylome, like all hyenas in her clan, believed no other creature on Earth came close to her kind.

So she sniffed back politely, the gesture accompanied by fleeting tumescence, and sat back to answer the questions.

"I am an African," she said confidently, though noncommittally. "I come from far over your sea." She looked over her shoulder, glaring off to the east at the water that lay so far over the plains, but still entirely too close. When she turned to continue her reply, however, she'd assumed a placid manner and a blank face. "The journey killed the rest of my cl-- pack." The "p" word came more easily than before. "We are very social in Africa. I would not be able to survive here with no allegiances."

[/html]
[html]

ooc:

Africa, she assumed just as the answer was given, was a place that resided beyond the sea. No doubt filled with strange creatures just like this sort of wolf here. Did all the wolves of Africa look like this? Smell like this? With hardly a solid differentiating point to determine a gender? Odd… but useful. A means to keep the unknown guessing and unsuspecting. And it was an additional matter of impress the size of the creature. Large, in what she assumed was its halfling form, for such bulk surely could not be kept on a lesser body.

The female whined thoughtfully, her ears flicking involuntarily to the brief tale before honing forward to receive this creature’s prior pack standing. A social creature without allegiance standing at their doorstep seeking a way in. No wonder the Lambda had called for her. Completing her circle around, X’yrin returned to stand in front of the strange wolf, lowering both head and nose humble to portray a less imposing stature. “…if X’ies had taken favor with you,” she sighed softly, “undoubtedly it is with good reason. If he would believe I would grant you acceptance, then he must see potential in you that mine cannot. However…” she raised her head then, looking down at the spotted wolf. “…I do hope to see what you will become to this Family. So long as X’ies acts as your guide…Sangi’lak will welcome you.”

237 words.

<style>
.ooctable, .oocinfo {

.oocinfo {
</style>

[/html]
[html]

Welcome to Sangi'lak!

Cast aside your title as Wanderer and embrace the name of Nomad.

Please rest your paws upon these lands and come to call it home. You have been welcomed into Sangi'lak as part of our Family and we hope to see you flourish within it. But first...

• As a Prospective member, you are encouraged to learn our CULTURE and bond with your fellow members to earn renown among them.
  • Be sure to read through the EXPECTATIONS to learn immediate ways you can earn your TROPHIES and ascend through the ranks.
  • And above all else, do your best to uphold the pack creed; "FAMILY ABOVE ALL ELSE". Do what you can for your fellow member and surely the aid will be returned to you in time.

If you or your character are having trouble acclimating to pack life, please don't hesitate to let the Leaders know and we will accommodate you to the best of our abilities.

Again, welcome to your new home! We are all excited to RP with you! So get your first thread up soon!!! Big Grin

[/html]