Greet the Evening
[html]
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1467/valtable.png) top center no-repeat; background-color: #486c49;">

Afternoon light filtered down through the boughs of pines, interlaced overhead. The air smelled fresh, spiced with the aroma of the evergreens and other forest flora. Valtiere had been travelling hard for several days - ever since he'd gotten wind of this pack. The pack that called this territory home, Sangi'lak, was home to Marecks if rumor was to be believed. It wasn't much to go on, but it was the closest thing to a lead he'd found since departing his previous pack. Loanaru... will I find you here? Searching for his old leader's daughter was the reason he'd been allowed to leave in the first place, although in truth he had more personal motives for his journey. The clan just hadn't felt like home after his mentor's passing, and although their lifestyle appealed to him, he'd hungered for something else... new horizons, a chance to truly find himself, and then make that self into something greater.

New scents joined those of the woodland, and new sounds - he was drawing close to the border. Crouching nest to a small gurgling river, the lithe male placed his pack of supplies carefully on a boulder and lowered himself into the water. His non-stop journey had had him traveling dusty paths under a hot sun, and sleeping on the bare earth most nights, with only a minimal camp set up. His fur smelled of campfire and traveling, and the grime and dust of his journey left him looking a bit bedraggled. Relishing in the cool water, he cleaned himself, first tending to his pelt, and then setting to work on his long, raven-hued hair. He combed through its length with dexterous fingers, patiently working out tangles and debris until it flowed long and smooth. If this truly was the pack he sought, it would not do to seek acceptance looking like a vagabond with no sense of hygiene.

His bath finished, he sat on a riverside stone, letting the warm sun dry him. The musical sound of the water flowing over smooth rock washed over him, and his thoughts drifted to how far he had come. The journey had taken several months, and he'd never seen or heard any trace of the girl Loanaru, who he sought. Val was the kind of individual who felt refreshed and recharged from spending time alone - he'd seen some amazing country on his way here. He'd found some supplies for trading, or fixing things, too - the leather bag beside him held scraps of metal, a few rabbit pelts, and a precious coil of copper wire, among other things. Still, a creature naturally inclined to pack life could only live alone for so long without suffering some decay of spirit, and it had been a long journey. Whether or not she's here... I think I might just stay, if this place is anything like I hope it will be, he thought to himself.

The sun had slipped behind the great, looming peak that seemed to guard over the territory. Feeling a chill on the evening breeze, Valtiere at last tied back his long hair with a strip of leather and gathered up his pack. Slinging it over his shoulder, he set off down the path, toward the border, feeling ready for whatever lay ahead. "Hello?" He called out when he reached it, standing, uncertain how long it would take someone to find him here. I don't want to trespass, he thought. After another moment, a ringing howl rose from his throat, echoing across the landscape in greeting and query.

Word Count: 594
Form: Optime
Walk "Talk!" Think

[/html]
[html]

Howdy! Words - 300+

It was strange not having X’yrin around. His fellow leader was always so dependable and always doing something useful. Without her presence Jaden felt sort of naked. It did a considerable amount to raise his stress level. No longer could he hear of a problem or notice that something needed to be done and know that, even if he couldn’t get to it right away, it would likely be done swiftly by his lovely friend. Taking that comfort net left him on quite the other side of the spectrum. Now ever thing needed his attention right away or else it suffered without any attention at all. Things that needed to be done around the territory felt like they might just fall into shambles without an extra pair of eyes to ensure they stay in line.

He had rushed around most of the last few days to make sure it all stayed together while she was gone. Everything seemed to be alright as it had been but he was still not convinced that peace would last. A call echoed from the northern border that needed the Issum’s attention. On it he heard nothing extra, no real imprinted emotion of the likes that could be put into most howls. It was just a simple call for attention. This was another one of those things that no one else but him could properly handle. With a sigh, he set out to meet the voice’s owner at a more hurried than necessary pace.

It wasn’t long before the male’s strong secui body carried him close enough to see this wolf. He was an interesting creature at first glance. He stood with a civilized air about him by the things he carried that also spoke of some intelligence. That, however, was only a first impression and such things were often wrong. He put a neutral smile about his muzzle and stood with confidence despite his slightly frazzled state. Good evening stranger. This is the boarder of Sangi’lak and I am Jaden Ohanzee, Issum and leader of this beautiful place. Are you in need of assistance?

Jaden does. Jaden speaks. Jaden thinks.

<style type="text/css">
.jadenlight-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-size:12px; text-align:right;}
.jadenlight b {font-weight:bold; color:#7e92a3; letter-spacing:1px}
.jadenlight p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.jadenlight {margin:0 auto; background-color:#163b59; background-image:url(http://i53.tinypic.com/s662hc.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding: 200px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#0c2134; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify; width:400px; border:1px solid #0d1720; margin:0 auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1467/valtable.png) top center no-repeat; background-color: #486c49;">

Valtiere did not have to wait long for someone from within the territory to come and investigate his call. He leaned against a tree's trunk, thoughts drifting, for only a few moments as evening fell around him. It certainly gets dark early here.... The reverie was broken as a muscular Secui form melted out of the gathering shadows. The white patches on the otherwise coal-black male stood out in the waning light, while the coal-black seemed to fade into the dusk of the forest.

For a moment, Val felt his guard go up - this male was built like a warrior, and that sort always made the lean male feel on-edge. Still, he forced himself to remain calm and polite, reason getting the better of his instincts. He was a guest here, and this male had been prompt in answering a call that some might very well deem presumptuous. A genial smile spread over the dark lord's lips, and the words that issues forth seemed to hold no malice or threat.

Valtiere gave a small bow, keeping a straight face in an attempt to hide his growing excitement. An Issum! So it's true... It's been so long since I've heard that word! "Good evening, Issum Ohanzee," he said, straightening. He gave a cordial smile, feeling slightly awkward as he towered over the leader, he in Optime and the lord in Secui form. Changing forms still took him a few minutes, though, and was not really the sort of thing to do in the middle of a rather important conversation like this. "I came here following rumors of a nomad clan, but I hadn't really dared to get my hopes up." He sank to the earth in a cross-legged position, setting his pack to the side with a graceful air. "I am Valtiere Nakoma-Mareck. I'm searching for someone from my old clan..." He realized as he said my old clan that he truly did not intend to return to them. "A female by the name of Loanaru." He paused for a moment, teetering on the edge of commitment, then continued. "I am also seeking a home."

He dipped his head again as the quiet fell around them. The woodland realm felt peaceful, but it was not silent - he could hear the calls of birds as they went to roost, the soft sound of the river a short way off, and, even quieter, the gentle sound of breeze slipping through the trees. Please don't turn me away....

Word Count: 416
Walk "Talk!" Think

[/html]
[html]

Words - 300+

More than a little bit of interest was inspired within Jaden at hearing the male before him was a nomad Mareck. Thus far they had adopted a handful of original nomads into their somewhat cross breed culture. One, his dear fellow leader and beloved, was a warrior. X’ies and his irritating personality were born of nomad diplomats but they had yet to acquire an artist, as this is what he understood the Mareck nomads to be. His blue eye'd gaze turned from pleasantly neutral to genuinely interested. He analyzed the male more thoroughly then he had before before. His pelt was unique, seemingly a trait the nomads all shared, but his body was most definitely not built for combat. A certain grace held in his steps but grace only did so much in a battle.

Valtiere had already given explanation to his apparent lack of battle experience, but to be a nomad of Sangi’lak meant he needed to be able to defend his family should the need arise. These were more assumptions and would not keep Jaden from accepting a useful contributor or sharp mind in to Sangi’lak but still worth considering. It is a pleasure to meet you Valtiere, said he with a respectful dip of his broad muzzle. He took a seat as the other did though it did little to shorten his quadruped form. It was to show a bit of good intention. This is a clan of nomads but I fear I must disappoint you. I know no one by the name of ‘Loanaru’. Because of his curiosity the Issum hoped this would not be a deciding point for the male. He continued to promote the idea that he stay with an important question, We have plenty of room to support you on our lands should you still desire to stay, and if this is the case then I must ask what skill can you provide to strengthen my pack. What do you offer to this family? Asked simply and honestly, it was important that he understood what to expect from this male in the days to come should he stay.

<style type="text/css">
.jadenlight-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-size:12px; text-align:right;}
.jadenlight {margin:0 auto; background-color:#163b59; background-image:url(http://i53.tinypic.com/s662hc.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding: 200px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#0c2134; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify; width:400px; border:1px solid #0d1720; margin:0 auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Valtiere nodded, a soft sigh escaping his muzzle as the other seated himself opposite the Mareck. "I can't really say I expected any differently. I have searched for nearly a year now, and never found any trace of her." Almost a year of my life, searching for her at someone else's request... I'd say I've kept my end of the bargain. Valtiere was ready for his journey to be at an end. "To find other nomads, though, it's... amazing." He searched unsuccessfully for a word to sum up his feelings on the subject, and settled for 'amazing', aware of how unsatisfactory it sounded.

A smile flickered across his features at the Issum's next question. It was only to be expected, really. What leader would want useless members? Valtiere nodded in understanding, reaching to the side to grab his pack. Deftly he laid out a few of the items from within, the tools of his trade: copper wire, polished clean until it shone like the sunset; a few scraps of metal wrapped carefully in a rabbit skin, bits and pieces that might be of use; and a Swiss Army knife, Valtiere's most prized tool. It's walnut-carved handled was worn dark and smooth from use, and it had served him well, as it had his mentor before him. "I'm a craftsman... a tinkerer, you might say. I can fix or replicate almost any broken thing, and make a few from scratch, too, with the right materials," he said, eyes glinting. With the same graceful economy of motion, he tolled the rabbit pelt back up and tucked his things into his pack once more - showing them had simply been an offering of proof, there was no need of them here and now beyond that.

"I can hunt well enough to feed myself, and gather useful components like bone and hide. I suppose I can hold my own in a fight, too, but it's never really been my strong-suit." In his birth-pack, Valtiere had had to learn to be swift and decisive, vicious enough that he was left alone rather than being targeted in the dog-eat-dog society. His grasp of the fighting arts boiled down to dancing out of reach of his opponents strikes, waiting for them to over-commit so he could deliver a lightning quick slice with his knife, or else evading them until they grew tired. A warrior he was not, but he'd learned to drive home that he wasn't someone to be messed with. The memories cast a dark shadow over his mood for a moment, and he held his breath for a second before releasing it slowly, letting the old bitterness and ugly memories flow away with the air. Letting them go was easier of late, and especially today, with the hope of a new home and new purpose so close he could almost taste it on the air.

Word Count: 480
Walk "Talk!" Think

[/html]
[html]

Words - 400+

The sounds of nature falling to rest around them was calming. It was the signal that day had come and pasted. Soon it would be time for the busy Issum to turn himself in. Perhaps he could find time to do something that would calm him as easily as the forest around them was affected by dusk. He was a crafter too, not of pretty knickknacks but weapons and things of the like. He was currently crafting some bows in his little bits of free time. It was an entertaining hobby and he could respect the mind and skill of a tinkerer. He looked out on the different scraps with a similar interest as he had given to the creator himself. Not all were magnificent and not a single one besides the knife looked to have a specific use but he didn’t have the skill of a Mareck either. To judge based on his knowledge alone wouldn’t do. So he took reference of these things, Valtiere’s personality, and the skill of the nomads he already knew before making his decision.

A few minutes were taken while Jaden shifted into his bipedal form. His thoughts were that art or trinkets designed by dexterous hands would be more appreciated by the same handling. It was rather quick due to his extreme amount of practice and he was sitting before the other in a new body in no time at all. He reached down and felt the copper wire. It was cold, smooth, and shown dully against his black fur in the setting sun. We have few true craftsmen on our lands, he sighed after a moment of thought on how to word it. He pulled himself up and sat looking to other acceptingly, most of us are warriors in training or linguists. Your skills will undoubtedly be valuable, He then pulled himself up and gently brushed the woodland derby from his legs, but there are many expectations that go along with being a nomad of Sangi’lak. You will be representing a family. Are you prepared to give forth the proper dedication to strengthen yourself and your new pack? The Issum could see a certain glint in this wolf’s eyes, that desire to be part of something he recognized from his own time as a wanderer. No doubt he did have it in him but things like this needed to be etched in stone, so to speak. They were the formalities of induction which need be followed. The darker male offered Valtiere a hand to pull him up and with the faith that he had what took to be a nomad even before his question was answered.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
We still will finish this out but I am feeling a bit under the weather (Jaden) so I might not be able to keep up with posting often enough to get you playing in a timely manner. Feel free to start posting Smile

[html]

Welcome to Sangi'lak!

Cast aside your title as Wanderer and embrace the name of Nomad.

Please rest your paws upon these lands and come to call it home. You have been welcomed into Sangi'lak as part of our Family and we hope to see you flourish within it. But first...

• As a Prospective member, you are encouraged to learn our CULTURE and bond with your fellow members to earn renown among them.
  • Be sure to read through the EXPECTATIONS to learn immediate ways you can earn your TROPHIES and ascend through the ranks.
  • And above all else, do your best to uphold the pack creed; "FAMILY ABOVE ALL ELSE". Do what you can for your fellow member and surely the aid will be returned to you in time.

If you or your character are having trouble acclimating to pack life, please don't hesitate to let the Leaders know and we will accommodate you to the best of our abilities.

Again, welcome to your new home! We are all excited to RP with you! So get your first thread up soon!!! Big Grin

[/html]
[html]

The news that there were few craftsmen both saddened Valtiere and made him feel hopeful. Trading knowledge, skills, and materials were vital to his sort, if he was to continue to maintain and hone his skills. On the other hand, it meant that there wouldn't be too much competition, and that he was less likely to get lost in the shuffle of things. His contributions could actually mean something here.

Valtiere placed a fist against the palm of his other hand in front of him, bowing where he sat with a graceful, ceremonious motion. "I would be honored," he said, raising his eyes to meet Jaden's for a moment before glancing away in deference. "I've been on my own for a long time. It's high time I had a family again... I will do everything in my power to serve you well."

An odd mix of emotions churned within him, and for the moment, he decided not to bother trying to make sense of them. There was joy, and hope, at being a part of something once more. There was apprehension, both the nerves of being a newcomer in a new place and at the Issum's mention that most of us are warriors in training. There was determination, to prove himself to this shadow-and-snow brute before him, and more emotions that he couldn't quite pin down. There was one thing to be said for travelling alone, and that was that it was emotionally predictable. Peace and quiet, with the occasional bouts of loneliness or awe at a stunning vista, the simple joys of hunting and traveling. This long-absent swirl of feelings was almost like frisson, by comparison. Nomad warriors are different than those you were raised with, he reminded himself. The care about their family, and respect others... there's nothing to worry about.

Preparing to rise to his feet, he looked back to Jaden. "Is there anything else I should know right now?" he asked, wondering if the Issum would give him a run-down of his duties and the general ropes of the pack, or if he'd be expected to pick them up on his own.

OOC: Thanks! And no rush :3
Word Count: 356
Walk "Talk!" Think

[/html]
[html]

We can call this good. Smile Words - 200+

Judging others the way he now judged Valtiere was still a bit alien to the Alpha. When he thought about it, the amount of power he was being given over another’s life was incredible. If he said no to this nomad, what would he go and do? This was the one place Jaden knew of where he would have a culture like his home or people who understood him. Anywhere else would drastically change who the other male turned out to be, if he would join any other pack. But the Issum felt sure he was making a good decision for Valtiere and for Sangi’lak now.

The judged answered his Issum properly and put a grin on the larger man’s features. Curiosity was definitely something he enjoyed seeing in prospective members. There is, he would answer at first. Once the Valtiere stood he would then lead him toward the base of Mount Oromocto and the community den. We have a central den where all are expected to stay and rest. You will also be expected to add meat to our caches in preparation for winter. We dry it so it will last through the months should food become scarce… And he would happily list off all that was expected. Most of it was obvious when living in a pack of wolves but, Valtiere had asked what was expected of him and Jaden would tell all he expected.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]