Who's the Father?
Set a day after Lucias is born. From AIM

Finding out that she had not only trespassed into a pack she was in a pact with but had broken into someone's home had been rather embarrassing. She had no explanation for her actions either. As quickly as possible she had gathered her supplies and left, thanking Lilith for her hospitality, with some simple gifts. She hadn't gotten far, still needing to rest, but at least she was no longer in the pack lands. Halting the wagon Amy looked down at Lucias again, unbelieving at the child. Only one, but this one was healthy. She had to be grateful for that.

Shadow stayed calm and collected and said nothing and didn't bother Amy while she rested. He had gotten in the back of the wagon with Kohaku when it was time to go and he waited for his chance. The wagon moved slowly and his head swam with thoughts and ideas. What the heck did he mean that she would be his daughter. He knew it wasn't his and he knew that Amy hated him so why that announcement? Shadow started towards the head of the wagon and he made noise so Amy would hear him coming and then he pulled the curtain to the side and he sat next to her as he spoke calmly and lightly. " Amy we need to talk."

Her ears twitched, listening as Shadow moved closer. What did he want now? "About what?"

You were my friend then you called me a slave then you hate me and then I come down here and help you out regardless of your feelings towards me and then then after all the silence you finally say something and it's not thanks but hey Shadow she is your daughter....I think not, you ignore me and act like I don't exist and then expect me to roll over when you demand something?

Amy listened to the outburst, slight amusement in her eyes. At least until the end. "I don't want anyone else to take that claim. What you think of me matters little. This is for Lucias."

"Amy your choice is not phrase alone...you can't just choose the father like it were a line up at a shop! If it would have been a few months ago I would have been happy to be...[b]" He stopped and closed his eyes for a sec then he opened them and went on. " [b]She is not my daughter....I have no pups...I have no mate, nothing. I came here to help you and watch over till you were healed and made strong again."

Her ears flattened, rage in her eyes as he spoke. "If you will not be the father, who will? The man that raped me? Would you choose him to be her father figure? It's not a mistake that I chose you."

"I thought you hated me...no better than a slave...worth nothing, not even talking to..huh Amy?" Shadow looked to her being only inches away as he looked down softly to the pup and then back into her eyes.

"Hate you? I've never done that. And you've certainly redeemed yourself. Besides, you have lousy timing for choosing to show up."

"Not all the time. I warned you about my own pack...I betrayed them to give you time and I have always only been there to help and I took all your abuse in the process."

Amy glanced down. It was true. It just wasn't in her nature to be gentle. "I still believe it could have been better timing. Besides, Lucias carries no flaws. Why would you not want her?"

"I never said I didn't want her I just wish...it doesn't matter." He looked down and then he looked forward as he spoke. "When you are back to full strength and can care for Kohaku and Lucias I will no longer be needed...." He wished the child had been his by blood not just by words. But he didn't know how to say such a thing.

He would leave again. Leave her to care for the pups, and be on her own. The way she usually was. She could never adjust to his presence. "Very well."

"I wish it were by blood...I know it doesn't matter now but I wish things had been different..." He said nothing more and he laid back and just looked forward.

Shaking her head Amy growled. "By blood? I didn't choose this pup! She was forced on me! I don't think she could be yours by any legitimate means! Do you know how many have died before this one?" She knew what he meant, but it was too painful to think about, to acknowledge. She didn't want to think about how Lucias had come about.

"I only meant that this would have been a happy occasion, you would have been happy if the pup was ours not just yours. I accept the pup as my daughter and I hope that this offers you some kind of peace, even though it is a lie perhaps it can at least be a good one. " Shadow wasn't going to bark back and he wasn't going to be angry, Amy didn't need that , Shadow always gave Amy what she needed and he wasn't going to make that untrue now.

Growling Amy straightened, turning back. That was all she had wanted. She didn't want to think of the past, of her weak moments. She didn't want to think of his connection to her, of the shame he'd created in becoming a slave. He had betrayed his pack for her, something Amy appreciated. What could she return though? He wouldn't let her pay him back. She'd tried, many times.

Shadow knew what she was thinking about and all he did was close his eyes and speak a couple words for she always thought that way." You're wrong..." So much meaning in so little words , something Shadow had always been good at.

"Really? What payment do you want then?"

"For you to be able to look back and think of when everything was peaceful...like when I had be nursing you back to health and you had Raoth then...stop thinking about the negative...think about the tender moment we had that I know you enjoyed...when I got the smallest of smiles out of you. Besides if everything good made you weak then why are you stronger now? Huh? If everything I had done made you so weak then you should be dead but you aren't, far from it, you are alive and fighting harder than ever and your still the tough assassin I met so long ago at a trade fair..."

Peaceful? Amy snorted, listening to Shadow's far fetched dream. "I am strong because I lived. Your presence weakened me. You left, and I grew more powerful. I can pay you what you wish now. My life isn't peaceful though, and to fantasize that it might be is childish." His pack was hunting her down, after all. Didn't that mean anything to him?

Shadow looked to her, "Since you can't see that I am right and you won't even try to drop your guard for a second while I am here watching over you then I guess you'll just owe me for life. I'll be sure to hold onto the IOU." Shadow said as he looked forward and crossed his arms.

Growling Amy turned her head forwards again. "Just make sure to remember: you are Lucias' father. She will never know otherwise."

So how am I to be her father, will she never see me and I'll never see you again and I'll be told about in stories?

"I'll bring her to you."

I shall remain by your side Amy until you are completely healed...I will not leave you until I know you can move around easily again .

Grunting Amy pulled the wagon to a halt. She had to rest. Unfortunately, he was right that she couldn't yet move with ease. It had been a mere day since Lucias was born, and she was tired and hungry. Pushing past him Amy made a nest for herself in the furs that she traded. "Good." Her only acknowledgement towards caring that he was there.

He smiled and looked to her and he hoped out and said lightly "Good night." He then headed off for food and and to gather whatever else they needed. He wished...that his pack would never find her...