strange summer
Black River Reserve. 9/11 ish?

[html]
Lynx knew rain was on its way the moment she woke up, and she couldn't resist leaving her cottage in Jordheim to explore in the warm rainfall. But what she had expected to be a peaceful storm had turned violent just as she reached a beautiful salt marsh with golden dunes in the distance. While the cutting wind and rain tore the gentle place apart, the female fled into the forest for cover.

There she rested against a tree and listened calmly to the fury of the gods, thinking she was glad that no one ever depended on her to forecast the weather. After little more than an hour had passed the downpour came to an end, sunlight began to reappear, and Lynx left the cover of the forest for her main interest, the dunes.

The sandy hills were now misshapen where the storm had swirled and punctured them. There were many storms in Norway, but all were winter snowstorms. Still, the similarities between disheveled snowdrifts and the dunes before her were striking. Approaching the dunes, the pointed wolf smiled in awe and reached to the warm, damp sand. The small clump of sand broke through her dark fingers as she looked up at the dune's crest.

Her ears pricked suddenly. A noise was coming from the other side. Barking, like the sounds which dogs made, but somehow very different -- an entire chorus of rough voices. Lynx started carefully up the dune, sometimes using her hands and claws to keep her balance. The climb was fun, but she completely forgot about it once she stood at the top of the dune. The tattooed woman inhaled sharply as she beheld the strangest creatures she had ever seen, barking on the seashore.
[/html]
[html]
(--) The barking wasn't supposed to be Vladi, right :x

Vladislava had been in a downpour not too recently, and this time as she sensed the storm coming, she was well prepared. She and Dmitrii were settled comfortably under a large, branchy tree, and she knew rain wouldn't reach her and her horse easily under it. Even if it did, though, it wouldn't be anymore than a few drops at the most.

As the falling precipitation and swirling winds began to pick up, the Russian heard her Clydesdale begin to snort and paw at the ground nervously. She looked up to him and rose from her perch on the tree's bark, and reassuringly rested a hand on his neck. "Do not fear," she told him simply, knowing her words would help him calm down. Dmitrii was a gentle horse, but perhaps he was slightly fainthearted in roaring storms—which was understandable, really, as Vlad herself was afraid of lightning and thunder when she was a young pup.

As the rain storm eventually came to a quiet end sometime later, the Kalashnikov heiress was quick to mount her steed. The pair needed to get moving, needed to get on with their travels. Perhaps they could get a head start down to Casa di Cavalieri and get that little task over with, or perhaps they could just wander back to more familiar woods. Either way, they needed to get a move on, so Vlad snapped at the reigns of the white and brown dappled horse, and the duo was on their merry way.

They passed by the dunes on their way out, but Dmitrii was soon halted as a scent filled the she-wolf's nostrils. Her eyes glanced around as her ears flickered, trying to find the source, until her eyes glazed over a strangely tattooed woman, her lavender eyes staring off at something in the distance, her white and black form crouching behind the sand dunes. Vladislava blinked at her from afar, weighing her options, until she slowly slid off of the sadle, dark feet sinking into the damp sand. She took a small, cautious step forward, holding her tail in a cordial position to tell the other female she wasn't a threat, and spoke very softly, "Is everything alright?" She asked this in the interest of something being wrong with the white wolf, and Vlad was a bit nervous that by the pointed canine's posture something might've been troublesome.

<style type="text/css">
.vladibridge b {font-weight:bold; color:#ffffe7; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #8d7f6c; }
.vladibridge p {text-indent:20px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.vladibridge {margin:0 auto; width:477px; background-color:#bbaa90; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/KwBEP.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #8d7f6c; padding: 220px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#4b4338; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
No, they're sea lions. :3 I'm sorry, I should've said something!

[html]

The gray lumps of barking lard had to be seals, or sea lions. Lynx had heard of them, but although the strange animals were apparently common on the shorelines, she had never seen any before. She tried not to dwell on how fat and ugly they were (and how useless they seemed), knowing that it was never right to think hatefully of the gods' creatures. Instead she snickered merrily at them, watching a particularly large and unsightly individual -- probably a male -- flop toward another, woofing loudly as he waddled across the sand.

While she could barely resist the urge to chase and pester the creatures, the snowy wolf was so enraptured with them that she lost the sense of anything else around her. When the feminine voice came suddenly close, Lynx blinked in shock as she at last acknowledged the stunning, stormcloud-gray woman and her dappled mount. Oh no -- I mean yes, I'm alright, Lynx replied to the concerned tone, offering a small, reassuring smile. But I have never seen creatures like these before. They are so... strange.

The stranger spoke with an accent unlike any Lynx had heard. It was very exotic, and very beautiful, and the pale fiddler began to think her even more interesting than the flipper-dogs. My name is Lynx, she told the woman, eager to learn more about her.

[/html]
[html]
(--) Nah, that's alright. xD I was just afraid for a moment that I might have to drastically alter my post, lol.

Lavender eyes soon meet with sea-foamy green ones, and Vlad returned the other wolf's smile, relieved. It was wonderful that the snowy woman was alright, indeed, but the Russian was also glad she hadn't overreacted to the vague situation she saw and acted upon instinct, which was to help out the female in hopes to serve her. When she heard the girl speak of "strange creatures," Vladislava tilted her head slightly as she muttered something to Dmitrii—probably a gentle command to stay put—and drew nearer to the other woman to see what she had spoke of. There, waddling around on the shore, were large, gray, fat blobs. She rose an eyebrow at the sea lions, quietly amusing herself at how frightfully ugly they were, but she remained silent, her only responce to the purple-eyed woman a soft nod.

Green eyes locked onto the most immense sea lion on the bay, her grin widening at him. He shuffled around, barking at the others, and, supposing there were alphas in sea lion packs, was the key idol of a leader. As far as chubby seals go, anyway. Had he been a canine, Vlad could see him becoming a powerful leader, as his fellow sea creatures seemed to move where he directed. "They are indeed strange," the Kalashnikov heiress finally said, her tail wrapping around her right leg.

The dark wolfess soon looked to the woman again after she stated her name, and with a warm, genuine smile, the Russian in turn would tell Lynx hers. "My name is Vladislava. It is nice to meet you," she answered, her muzzle dipping politely. She looked at the harlequin tattoos on Lynx's face and paused. They were very detailed works of art, she had to say, and she was a sucker for gorgeous artwork. "Your tattoos... They are very beautiful," she commented, her eyes lowering into the lavender ones again. "May I ask who tattooed you?"

<style type="text/css">
.vladibridge b {font-weight:bold; color:#ffffe7; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #8d7f6c; }
.vladibridge {margin:0 auto; width:477px; background-color:#bbaa90; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/KwBEP.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #8d7f6c; padding: 220px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#4b4338; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Lynx crossed her arms across her chest, her expression mildly curious and alert. Her own gaze followed stunning green eyes to the round animals, relieved to see by the stranger's smile that she also found the sea lions not only strange but amusing, too. Actually, Lynx could not remember seeing anything funnier in nature, and she gave a small laugh when the darker wolf vocally agreed with her.

The woman gave a name just as exotic as her accent, a word with a pretty, almost rolling sound. Lynx tilted her head to one side, hearing it again in her mind before speaking it aloud, but also quietly, Vlad - islava...? It was hard to say with her own accent, so she added a note of question to make sure she got it just right. It is good to meet you as well, she agreed, her smile returning.

Vladislava asked a question that at first Lynx did not know how to answer. Seeing Ivan's handsome, swarthy face so suddenly appear in her mind brought her up short. Trying not to remember the pain in his eyes when she had left him, the girl quickly steeled herself against the sin's memory and recovered from her brief silence. Thank you, miss. There was a very talented artist on the ship I took from my homeland to this country, she spoke cheerfully. He gave them to me. Lynx was careful to speak as if there were no more to the story than what she told. Besides, the lovely compliment was sinking in. Being rather vain about her tattoos, it pleased her when others admired them.

[/html]
[html]
(--) OOC here.

A small giggle came from the tattooed woman, causing Vlad's soft smile to widen. Those fat mammals, she sooned concluded, were by far the most amusing things she had come across. They were ultimately useless in her eyes other than providing entertainment, and she was glad she wasn't the only one that thought of the sea creatures as uncanny.

She chuckled softly as she heard Lynx attempt to pronounce her name correctly with her own foreign dialect, but soon covered her muzzle with a pink pawpad. "Excuse my laughter," she told the snowy wolf sincerely, her ears folding back in apology, "It was not intended to upset you. I am sorry if I offended you." Her tail fell in between her legs as her head dipped, and she hoped Lynx wouldn't become unhappy with her. She really didn't like being in a feud with her peers. She had a servant's heart, after all, and she was in no place to argue with others whom she was to service.

The other woman—after a small silence—told Vladislava of her tattoo's origins, causing a smile of understanding to return to her muzzle. She knew what it was like to be on a boat, that was for sure, and it wasn't a very pleasant trip for her to Nova Scotia. She assumed the same was for Lynx, too, by her words coming up short before she paused. She nodded her head softly, her eyes directing their attention to the sea lions again. "I remember my trip across the seas fondly," she said airily, her tail beginning to wag. Aside from her guilt from leaving her family, she did actually enjoy one aspect of the trip—she grew closer to the ocean. Ever since she arrived to these lands, she tried to stay relatively close to the water, as it comforted her. So calming, so rhythmic, so welcoming... These were the traits she remembered of the seas, and she wouldn't forget them easily. On her trip to Nova Scotia she would often just stare out at the endless stretch of blue water, feeling at peace with herself, and it would pass the time much quicker than any other activities she could've done, anyway.

A question she had been meaning to ask soon arose, and she decided to act upon it. "Can I safely assume you are of European heritage, Lynx?" she asked, recognizing her pale aquaintence's drawl from somewhere.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
sorry again that this is so late! it is still the 24th where I am, for the record Tongue

[html]

Vladislava's laughter carried only a small sting. The Norweigan knew she sounded silly, and she did not like disappointing others even in small matters like pronunciation. In effect, her cheeks colored with embarrassment as she waved fingers gently to dismiss the apology.

It's all right. I just hope I did not ruin your pretty name with my accent, she said in a joking tone, although she was perfectly serious. Luckily, the woman didn't seem upset or off-put, so Lynx stopped worrying. Her pronunciation of the name would probably improve as she spoke it more.

In mentioning her journey to Canada, the gray female confirmed Lynx's suspicion that she was a foreigner, too. Vladislava's tone was reminiscent, as if she were thinking of her own trip as she spoke.

Such adventures are not easily forgotten. A wistful smile came to her lips. She had vivid memories of her journey, many of them having nothing to do with Ivan. At times, remembering the ocean brought tears to her eyes... the breathtaking blue all around her, powerful enough to swallow the ship any moment it pleased, yet carrying its passengers to safety on gentle waters. She was grateful that Odin had given her the opportunity to experience it.

As Lynx nodded her smile still in place, but brighter. Aye. I am from Norway, she replied. It's a lovely little country far to the north. It would always be home, even though she was happy to be in Nova Scotia, loving it more and more by the day.

Unable to contain her curiosity, Lynx returned the question, her head tilting slightly. And you? Where did you come from, Vladislava? she asked with a soft chuckle. Yes, it did sound better this time. Your accent is lovely.

[/html]
[html]
(--) It's fine Big Grin

The Russian saw Lynx's face flush slightly after her giggling, which only made her feel worse. She felt a bit better, though, when the other woman waved her hand, dismissing her laughter. "It was a good try, да," Vlad responded, nodding, "It was much better than I have heard others try to say it in the past." Many of the merchants and traders that her family's company worked with weren't of their nationality, so any time her father introduced her to a new sailor or pirate, they would always pronounce it wrong. It was a bit if a bother, really, but still amusing nevertheless to see how their foreign tongues attempted to roll the letter R as she did, or something like that.

Vladislava gave an understanding nod to the snowy woman's words, agreeing with them wholeheartedly. "I do not believe they are ever forgotten, really," she said, green eyes bouncing over to the ocean for a moment. "The sea... Such an intriguing thing. It seems to extend until the edges of the Earth, though of course, this world is not flat. I suppose that is how it can go on for 'eternity': The roundness of the planet bends it where we can not see the end. If there is an end to the ocean, that is."

Lynx soon stated that her heritage lay in the distant land of Norway, and Vlad's smile widened at this. Ah, she remembered reading about that place. Her parents had traded with a good number of Norwegians, and they always brought her beautiful goods from there. "Hmm," the dark she-wolf hummed softly, thinking about that ring her father had traded for from Lynx's homeland. She glanced down at her finger to see said gold ring, and wondered if the gold had actually come from Norway itself. Maybe it was just made there? She didn't remember reading that they were well-known for gold mining.

"I come from the vast country of Russia," she replied, her tongue rolling on the name of the Motherland. "It is in the middle of Europe. Or rather, it takes up much of Europe. It is a pleasant place." Her tail curled as she thought of her homelands, and grinned at the Norwegian pleasantly when she commented on her accent. "Спасибо. I find it to add a bit of character to my normal, ordinary self. My dialect is the only thing remarkable about me, unfortunately." She was still smiling as she said this, though, as she actually knew that being able to read, write, and speak fluently in English and Russian were the only other distinguishing things about her. She wouldn't mention that, however; she didn't want to seem prideful or arrogant.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Vladislava's words were reassuring, and Lynx felt much less silly upon hearing them. She imagined that it must become a little exasperating to have one's name misspoken so often. Vladislava was one of the more unusual-sounding names she had heard, although perhaps it was common in the woman's homeland.

The stormy-hued wolfess had put it much better. Lynx knew that a venture across the ocean could never be forgotten. It was such an impressive event that it would never quite disappear from her thoughts, the images and memories always near enough for her to recall them at the smallest reminder. Her lavender gaze turned toward the iron gray water as Vladislava spoke. Lynx realized that the same thing mystified her since she had first seen the ocean. The sea seems... endless. I do not understand how anything could be so vast. She stared at the rolling waves, entranced. It will always amaze me. Even now, when had seen the ocean many times, and lived upon it for weeks, she was awed.

When the tattooed girl said she was from Norway, her companion did not have much of a reaction. Only a soft, thoughtful hum. Lynx thought she may never have heard of Norway, or perhaps she was merely thinking about what she did know of it. Either way, it didn't matter to the snowy wolf. She was interested in hearing about Vladislava.

I know of Russia, Lynx said with a grin, her gaze returning to the other. There were canines from many parts of the world in the small sea port where she had boarded her ship, many of whom she had overheard speaking of the massive land known as Russia. I have heard that it is a lovely country -- a place I would like to see, I think.

She snickered at the woman's next words, though her eyes were warm. Oh, I'm sure that is not true! she said gently. Although I have to admit, I think the same of myself. Again, she laughed lightly. But she was not exactly joking. Sometimes she felt that others found her interesting only because she was from a distant land. It didn't bother her much, though, for she didn't care to have lots of friends, nor did she care too deeply what the majority thought of her. She had faith that whomever was meant to be her friend would get to know her beyond what they first saw. It is strange to be a foreigner, hmm? Like being a fish out of water.
[/html]