Salty Air and Wishful Thinking
Jordyn was laying by the coast's edge with her ocarina in hand. The chilly breeze, forced her to squint, and it tickled her snout. The sun was going down, and it was blotting the sky with spots of deep orange and reds. This wouldn't be one of her favorite spots to rest. There was no humor, it was just water and sand. With that thought in her head it made the quiet water look even more lifeless, and dreary from the surface. She knew there was fish in there, but they didn't talk. If you stared at then, they just stared back, without a word spoken. Of course it didn't help that only fish had seen, were dead. While standing up, she laughed at her awkward looking outline of her body in the sand from not sitting still, then picked up her leather pouch, and swung it over her shoulder. Once the wind blew at her back, she played a happy Spanish dancing tune, that moved like the wind itself. Her mother had always made her practice this one, and she had always moaned and groaned before playing it, since it was difficult, but it had since then become one of her favorites. The canine hoped that somebody would appear, she always loved to have an audience.
[html]

Hi there! C:

September brought with it chilly mornings and evenings, especially near the shoreline terrorized by cold winds. Shiloh had brought her tan leather coat as a precaution, shrugging it on over her sleeveless summer dress and white fur. She knew it would only get colder, and dressing safe early didn’t bother her. She remembered all too clearly the snowstorm that had ravaged Nova Scotia the previous winter, and she was wary of such a thing happening again. Already, there was something cold and threatening in the air.

The she-wolf was not one to show weakness, however, and she merely frowned in thought as she stepped along the rocky coast. She hadn’t had a lot of time to explore the neutral territories surrounding Vinátta since she’d joined, but today was as good a time as any. She didn’t have any pressing duties in the pack yet, so she was sure that the others wouldn’t mind her venturing off for a little while.

Her hands in her pockets, her tail sweeping against the backs of her thighs, the Dawnbringer made her way along the edge of the ocean. It was quiet here, but soon that quiet was interrupted with a whistling in the wind. She flattened her ears, wondering if the sound was coming from the gusts themselves, but as it grew louder she could make out a chipper melody within it. Her ears swiveled toward the noise, and she quickened her pace to a light hop over the rocks until she could see an upright dark shape in the distance, the apparent source of the robust tune.

Shiloh broke out into a friendly grin as soon as she came closer, raising a delicate white hand in a greeting wave. “That sounds lovely!” she called over to the black and white dog, coming to a halt on the edge of the cool sand. “What instrument is that?”

+315

<style type="text/css">
.shflow2-fb b {font-weight:bold; color:#fff; letter-spacing:-.5px; text-shadow:#565931 1px 1px 2px;}
.shflow2-fb .ooc {font-style:italic; padding:3px; text-align:center;}
.shflow2-fb .line {width:410px; border-bottom:1px solid #fff; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
.shflow2-fb p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.shflow2-fb {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#c7cf71; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Ka9xi.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #565931; padding:310px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#565931; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... mes_v2.png); background-color:#000000; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right:0px; padding-top: 335px; border-radius:10px; -moz-border-radius:10px; -webkit-border-radius:10px; border-bottom-left-radius:0px; border-bottom-right-radius:0px; border-top-right-radius:10px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:0px; -moz-border-bottom-right-radius:0px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:10px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:0px; -moz-border-bottom-right-radius:0px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:10px;">

ooc: Form, Lupus. Sunrise.

X'ies was awakened from his sleep by a rather annoying screeching sound being carried by the wind. Grumpy, he moved further into the northern neutral territories to investigate, being careful not to stray into the borders of Vinatta, after what foolishness had occured from the pup leaders of that group he had little wish to encounter them again. However it would seem that his wishes were not accounted by in two forms, one was the source of that horrible noise. A dog. Insantly the hairs on the back of his neck stood as he watched it play what he could only imagine was some kind of wind instrument.

And then, a scent upon the wind followed another voice. The scent being that of Vinatta, he knew instantly that this day was not going to go well. He would move towards them both, keeping his eyes primarily on the dog. "...Well look what we have here..". He would speak in a low gutteral tone. "...A filthy dog.....and a filthy dog...". Emphasis was put on the last part, X'ies knew fine well that the woman was a wolf, using dog as a derogatory term for her pack alliegences.

" What has brought you here dog?....you'll find few friends to your kind here...well...those that would have any self respect at least..".

Word Count:

[/html]
Jordyn took one step back, her right back paw pressing into the sand. This was what she had wished for, and audience, but this man in front of her did not seem to like her taste of music. In fact, her seemed very threatening, but she stood tall with her back straight, and looked him in the eyes. Yes, she had indeed waken him, to which she felt a little pang of guilt, but she knew that that feeling would be forgotten very easily very soon. She tried to ignore his rather frustrated vibes, when she noticed that the male wolf was looking at the female wolf next to her weirdly. There was obviously something she didn't know about, probably something relating to packs. When he called the wolf next to her a dog, she felt the need to stand up to her. "Well, sir, I hope that you will notice that she is a wolf, certainly not a dog!" She was terrible at arguing, and she knew he wouldn't listen, she probably wouldn't win either, but she wasn't going down with out a fight. "I am Jordyn, a lone dog that comes from the north in search of my family. And I hope that you will respect that. I meant you no harm here at all. I was just looking for a nice place to play my ocarina, and rest for one night."
[html]

Politeness, Shiloh had learned, often got her answers she might not have received otherwise. Good manners were good manners, of course, and she had raised by her family to be a lady no matter what emotions broiled within her, but she’d learned enough to add an extra incentive. And it wasn’t really that hard to smile at a stranger; it didn’t hurt her to greet the black and white dog like she might a pack mate she hadn’t met rather than a stranger wandering near her territory.

Before the young musician could answer Shiloh, however, a third individual joined them: a wolf with a grey, unkempt coat and the reek of a pack she’d noticed encroaching close to Vinátta borders. She was about to greet him in kind (no matter that he looked so lousily messy) when he spoke up first. His voice was nearly as atrocious as his words, and the blonde female couldn’t keep her brows from furrowing when he rudely addressed the dog—before addressing her with the same nastiness, putting emphasis on the species term to let it be known it was meant to be derogatory. Shiloh was only a brief part of his schedule of insults, however, as he went back to questioning the collie’s presence.

What floored Shiloh was that this was so unprovoked. Had she known him better, and had she had her staff, she would have walloped him over the head until he lost consciousness, but she could only stand in speechless confusion before the floppy-eared female called him out on his obvious mistake.

Bless her heart, the Dawnbringer thought, blinking slowly before she offered the mangy wolf a pretty smile. “Oh, darling,” she said to the girl, “the poor rogue is probably blind.” She smoothed her leather coat and spoke to him in slow, innocent tones. “This is a coat, sir, not part of my fur, which you might notice is white, not filthy.” There was some trouble saying the last word without curling her lip, but she managed. That said, she put the wolf out of her mind (at least outwardly; he was carefully kept in the corner of her eye) and turned to the dog, Jordyn.

“I don’t know what he means,” Shiloh said, letting her brow furrow in a puzzled fashion. “My pack certainly wouldn’t reject your kind, especially if you can play that beautifully. We might even give you a place to rest, if you need it.”

Still wearing her smile, she let her slender hands dip into her deep pockets again. Her tail swished lazily, a metronome whose beats she counted to keep her composure. If this mongrel wolf wanted to make enemies with a sweet loner, by all means, he could. Shiloh, on the other hand, was glad to pretend to make friends—and offer the best impression she could of herself and her brother’s pack.

+481

<style type="text/css">
.shflow2-fb b {font-weight:bold; color:#fff; letter-spacing:-.5px; text-shadow:#565931 1px 1px 2px;}
.shflow2-fb .line {width:410px; border-bottom:1px solid #fff; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
.shflow2-fb {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#c7cf71; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Ka9xi.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #565931; padding:310px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#565931; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... mes_v2.png); background-color:#000000; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right:0px; padding-top: 335px; border-radius:10px; -moz-border-radius:10px; -webkit-border-radius:10px; border-bottom-left-radius:0px; border-bottom-right-radius:0px; border-top-right-radius:10px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:0px; -moz-border-bottom-right-radius:0px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:10px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:0px; -moz-border-bottom-right-radius:0px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:10px;">

ooc: Form, Lupus> Optime

Primary reactions told everything, provoking anger was one useful tool for discerning a persons true mind. X'ies noticed hoever that, whilst this dog was dull it was it seemed to have some spirit. Enough of both that it would look X'ies in the eye, now whilst X'ies wasn't a mindless animal, any pack minded creature knew that to look an aggressive wolf in the eye was a challenge of dominance. And X'ies would react in kind, his eyes locked onto hers as he underwenth the loathed change into his larger Optime form. Once the change was complete X'ies would tower over those arranged, he would approach the dog, not quickly. But slowly. Keeping his eyes locked upon it the entire time. "...If you have family here, they are likely dead...in the shade of the mountain, no dog shall know peace...if it had been my alpha you had met...she would have scattered your entrails to feed the trees...". A small grin as he looked up at the Vinatta female. "..Oh I'm not blind...but one does not need eyes to smell the filth of your pack upon you...".

At this point X'ies was considering the rules of his pack since that bad meeting with Vinatta, the other pack had played so haughty when the collective had came in peace. No second chances, no peace. The rules said that they should run them off with violence. But then again, they were in neutral ground right now, did they still apply? "...But it is good to know how well you court weakness...it'll only make the inevitable more...delicious..". The grey wolf fully believed that conflict between the two packs was inevitable now, with the distance between oe another being so short and tensions so high...well it was a pile of gunpowder just waiting for a match. In fact, it occured to him that this situation might well just be the match, were the collective ready for such a conflict? "...Perhaps its less about being ready, and more about needing something to make us ready..". X'ies thought as he looked back to the dog. "...In fact...I think I'll take this pest and offer it as a gift to my alpha...unless of course...you have something to say about that?...do you invoke the protection of your puppy king?".

Word Count: 380

[/html]
Jordyn watched in awe at how cleverly the wolf beside her had reacted to the males insults by talking to her kindly. Yet she couldn't tell if it was a pleasing act of friendship, or a wicked act of boasting. The male wolf however, was obviously a threat, and was pushing for more. "An enemy," she thought, "an enemy is all I am making." A necessary part of becoming stronger. Well, that was what she was always told. Before she spoke she looked directly into his dark eyes."Call me a fool, but I won't stop looking for my family until I have searched everywhere." She definitely had come off a little dotty, but she didn't care, she couldn't. Bad talk about her family from other people had always caused her to get angry. They simply had no right, none at all. She crossed her arms, and put her weight on the backs of her ankles, standing tall, wondering what more this horrid wolf could say to her and her family. He needed some sense talked into him, and she wasn't sure if this wolf next to her would was on her side or not. It all seemed like a big misunderstanding.
[html]

Long post; wanted to respond to everything! Also, if this does start to turn more violent, I would prefer if we let Jordyn give her input first since this was originally her AW thread. Smile

There was something more going on here that Shiloh was ignorant of, having been in Nova Scotia for only a short week or so. Her first trip outside of the wooded territory of her new pack led her to this nasty encounter; that had to be a sign for something, and she had to swallow her heart as it threatened to claw its way up into her throat. Already the threat of Dawnrunners slowly drew nearer; now she had to deal with something like this? This spleenish mutt was either psychotic or was on a mission of some sort, and she was afraid in either case.

For all her innocent glances and good-natured smiles, however, the white she-wolf did not betray her fear. She had spent far too long being afraid of everything, every speck of dirt that landed on her fur, every enemy lurking in the shadows. She needed to be strong for the Stormbringers and for Vinátta, and damned if she was going to sit idly while this unnamed brute mocked her and the girl so close to her precious home.

The man shifted into his optime form, and Shiloh had half a mind to grab the girl and run off. In fact, it was only cold curiosity that kept her from leaving during those vulnerable minutes, and more than once she considered attacking him while his bones and muscles rearranged. Wearing a smile sweet as sunshine, she imagined just what she wanted to do.

The wolf approached, and Shiloh was quick to reach for the dog’s hand to pull her back and a little closer to herself. She wasn’t sure how well she’d be able to defend both of them, and she normally cared little for strangers, but they both needed an ally right now. She fought hard to keep her disgust from showing as the grey wolf drawled on, mocking the girl and her hunt for her family; the dog responded heatedly but childishly.

“I wouldn’t worry,” Shiloh whispered to her, her eyes not straying from the male even as she kept her voice very low. “He can talk all he wants about his little mountain, but there’s vast territory here; your family might have sheltered with one of the southern packs. I just found my family, after all.”

His words about her filth brought her attention completely toward him again, and she smiled curiously; it wasn’t hard to look confused about his meaning when she truly was. “What exactly do you know of my pack?” she asked. “I don’t like to think we’re filthy, anyway,” she said, tittering a laugh. “The territory around here is so beautiful and wooded by the lake.”

For each of her retorts he seemed to have another biting statement, and she shrugged her shoulders when he spoke of “courting weakness.” Some of the friendliness slipped from her words as she replied, speaking bluntly how she felt this time. “As far as I’ve learned, dear sir, regardless of their individual strength, making friends is far more valuable than making enemies; the more friends you have, the more are on your side, after all.” It was about as close to an open threat as she would reply with, although his was relatively out there.

When he spoke of a puppy king, her blue eyes momentarily narrowed. This was about her brother, about Vinátta, and more than the ravings of a racist, unkempt old wolf. She’d heard that the other pack was settled close, but she didn’t know that the others intended anything violent; this would likely be news to Saul.

“Sweetheart,” Shiloh said to the dog girl, “let’s find a new place to play that instrument of yours, okay?” Her hand reached for her arm again, hoping to grasp it firmly but gently and tug her back from the deranged wolf. She shot a smile in his direction, a last one that was sweet only in the way of subtle poisons. “As for you, sir, if you truly think your alpha would accept the responsibility of a prisoner and all that entails, you are welcome to try.”

+684

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

ooc: I agree, Jordyn do you have msn/aim? If you do/don't pm me and we'll discuss plot things!

It would appear that the dog had more guts than he saw in most of her kind. Respectable for such an animal particularly when faced with one such as he." Well when I drag you back, I will make sure you can look among our furs to see if you recognise one of the skinned hides"The grey wolf smirked ultimately however she was less of a concern than the Vinatta wolf who seemed to adopt more of a challenging mentality. He wondered how long that would last if she knew the mentality of the Sangilak towards her kin. However on that note, she did seem truely ignorant to the developed relations between the two packs, his words distracted him from the dog momentarily. "...What do I know of your pack?..I know that your words of friendship are best spoken to your puppy king, we of the Sangilak collective came with offers of peace and friendship only to be met by the ignorance and haughtyness of a pup who thinks himself an alpha...their short sighted insults have earned them, and through them..you...an enemy".

X'ies recalled the meeting with Vinatta as perhaps one of the worst results of several diplomatic meetings. He had gone in there knowing that it would be one result or the other. Either they would be great allies, or they would be worst enemies. However he hadn't expected it to be so one sided, Vinatta had not only displayed no interest to be friends, but had acted with a superior air around them which he found strange, as if they were presented with serfs and slaves and not equals. It seemed that the Vinatta girl was smarter than she looked, backing away from this conflict. At least thats what he thought until she turned with that poison smile and words. The last word, it only ever caused trouble, and if you couldn't afford to deal with that trouble, well then it was something best avoided. X'ies would laugh, then present his maw to the sky and let out a piercing call. When he was done, he looked at the dog, then shifted over to the Vinatta girl where they would rest.

"..Perhaps you misunderstood my intention....imprisonment would not be her ultimate fate, a long list of things would come first...with the last of them being death...but imprisonment is not the idea...But you shall see, and perhaps we'll take you too dog lover. Mayhap your death will learn your puppy king a lesson...now why don't you run...make the chase fun for us".

With the call that he had let out, he expected that they would soon be joined by others of the collective, perhaps even the alpha herself. A pack hunt....reminded him of the old days.

Word Count:425

[/html]
The wolf's threats were intimidating, and ruthless, but she ignored them. The white wolf next to her brought great proposition. Her family could be here, right under her nose, and she was willing to fight for them, of course it wouldn't be easy with this difficult guy, but he was first of many. But, this was going to get ugly. She could feel the fear growing in her bones, seething up to the surface. Since she had been young, she had always been taught to run. First, you would get what you want, then run, run for your life. And that was what she planned to do now, too. She felt a warm, firm comforting paw on her arm. She was on her side, and she could trust her entirely. Jordyn passed the female beside her a look, preparing her that she would be making a break for it. Then, Jordyn took the female's other paw and ran, while breaking into a cold sweat, at the thought of the baneful wolf being in pursuit behind them. She started slower at first, waiting for her companion to catch up, then going into full pace. It was at this time that she realized that she had never gotten her new friend's name.
[html]

Probably my last post for the thread! Smile

It was certainly not the first time that Shiloh had heard threats, but she’d never heard anyone so full of hate toward someone they didn’t know. It frightened her, even if she swallowed the fright for the sake of the dog girl, who she touched softly with a hand as support. When the mangy wolf spoke of how his collective—what a strange word—had been turned away after peace offerings, however, she had to stifle a harsh laugh.

“My dear sir,” the Vináttan replied, “I am afraid I’m not inclined to believe you. You say that you come in peace, but you threaten this child with such violence? Your definition of friendship must be very different in your…Sangi’lak collective.” The words fell clipped from her tongue, and her mind worked behind her deceptively half-shut blue eyes. She was a bit biased, of course, to think that her brother wouldn’t be haughty, but she couldn’t understand Saul having anything but bad things to say to a group that promoted the capture and mutilation of innocent passersby. If they were enemies, then, it was right for them to be; Sangi’lak must be the bad guys just as the Dawnrunners were, although for a reason more fresh and justified than an old blood feud. If his words about the dog hides weren’t just a bluff, then they must truly be evil and must truly be named the enemy.

The wolf chuckled then threw his head back with a call, at which point Shiloh nearly panicked before judging the distances between their borders. Vinátta was close by, and unless there were members of his pack out and about, they could reach the safety of their home. She wrinkled her lips back into an ugly, silent snarl, baring her sharp teeth, before Jordyn reached for her paw. Not hesitating, Shiloh broke out into a run alongside her.

“Run until you reach my pack borders, the pine forest,” she said between heavy breaths, ears tilted back to listen for the approach of the male. “If they chase us there, they’re evil and suicidal.” She freed her hand from the other’s grasp, urging her with a sharp bark to quicken her pace; she wanted to stay between Jordyn and the grey brute. While she didn’t have her staff, she had enough basic training to earn the girl some time.

Shiloh didn’t know where she found the breath while she ran, but she managed to hurl a cry in the direction of Vinátta—calling to her brother, to Niernan and Bran, to let them know that they were coming and in possible need of help.

+437

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
The wind was against Jordyn as she sprinted away from the two. Her objective was simple, yet it seemed literally impossible. It all felt like a dream; like one of those dreams where you are trying with all of your might to move, but you won't budge. The collie's heart was beating rapidly, which sent pangs of anxiety into her nervous system. She stumbled a little on her paws, but kept moving, for she knew exhaustion would, and could take over any minute. A sudden hard rain began to fall around them, chilling her to the bone, while at the same time, smacking her with huge drops, that collected like dew on the tips of her thick coat that hung on for dear life. Her mouth had gone dry, and her ankle had been sprained slightly, making the task even more brutal, and hard. She knew all of these emotions weren't really not causing her get anywhere, but it made her feel like it. The canine, looked over her wet shoulders, but hardly anything was visible to due to the heavy rain. Her right foot got stuck in a muddy hole that had filled up with rain water, she toppled over on her knees, causing them to now be dirty as well. She kept running with the right foot, almost skipping, to pull it out. When it came out, she kept running, ignoring the fact that she was now completely filthy, and that the areas in between her paws were filled with mud. Mother Nature was against her at this point, and she knew she would win, as she always did. The coast line's water, which was barely visible, was crashing in explosive movements, which sounded even louder than the thunder, and lightning which had followed right behind the rain. She remembered when she was little; when she had loved the rain. It used to soothe her, but now it seemed to be hurting her. The rain let up a little once she had slowed her pace. Her vision could now go a little further in front and behind her. A smell of salt and wood reached her wet nose. had she reached it? Had she finally found the Vinatta pack? An invisible line marked the pack territory. She didn't know how she knew, but somehow she knew that she had reached safety. Safety that she had been waiting for, for a very, very long time.