Wolf At The Door
How had he got here? Did it matter, and if it did what would he do about it? It was one of those rare days where Melancholia held Einarr in its thrall, perhaps it had been the travelling, the exhaustion, or perhaps it was something else unknowable. Einarr shook himself, both mentally and physically, in an attempt to dislodge it. The massive grizzled warrior stood silently in his Secui form his eyes focused beyond the invisible border. He stood some way from the edge of a pack’s territory, still unsure whether to call out, whether here is where he should settle, but he’d been travelling for so long, would he ever be able to travel far enough? Another shake, droplets of blood flying from his mottled grey fur, not his own luckily, but the life force of the offering he had brought, a gift and a proof of his prowess to support his application. The moose was a large one, but despite only being one wolf, simple tactics had helped to bring it down, that and a quick show of force. The fact he had managed to do it and transported it to just beyond the borders of the pack he wished to join hopefully spoke of the sort of wolf he was and what he could help with, within the pack.

He no longer wished to fight, no longer wished to be known for his skill in battle, perhaps here he would just be a good hunter and perhaps his memories would fade. He huffed out a breath in private mirth, he was only three and already he thought like his grandfather, the spirits knew what he would be like in even a year. Finally coming to a decision the hulking male placed the moose down, he was hungry, but he would not touch the meat, the kill was fresh and the liver and heart were intact, another sign of his sincerity. After another glance, he pointed his head to the sky and howled. The sound was eerie and almost multi-tonal, but broken, the voice of a story-teller very out of practice. It was a serviceable enough sound. It announced his presence beyond the borders edge and requested audience.

As the echoes died Einarr lowered his head, his ears twitching to catch the faintest of sounds, his muscles tense, body alert. He was unsure how his request would be taken, and though he had not entered their lands, some packs were aggressive to strangers, and today he was not in the mood for a fight.
WC::312

[html]

Mido stood just inside the cover of the caves entrance. He shielded his eyes from the glare of the sun with a muscled forearm. The season was beginning to change yet again, the temperature steadily crawled lower with each passing night, and with the start of a new day it took longer to warm back up. The male made his way to the training grounds, observing its wear and tear. This place has seen some better days. I might have to replace some of this. Hand crafted free standing opponents were destroyed and targets had been riddled with holes. He noted how much more it was getting used as of recent, with Itzal’s return and shifts in ranks probably. The Eligos position was open for a nearing candidate; he assumed Axelle would be the next one to take it.

A call from the border tore the Huskadore away from his thoughts. The tone didn’t sound distressed only requesting a presence. He abandoned walking in favor of jogging to get there quicker. Upon arrival the mutt was certainly surprised to see what he did. The source of the howl had been a lone grey wolf with a lifeless moose near his side. If the man had taken the large creature down on his own it was quite the feat and a well deserved prize for his efforts.

Stepping across their scented border he left the loner some personal space. You are at Anathema’s borders. My name is Mido and I’m the Rakeeb of this pack. Mido carried his Kamas and compound bow on his person, the best of both long and short range weaponry in his opinion. He didn’t suppose the man was going be aggressive or unruly. It wouldn’t be the wisest choice ever made, as he would give him a piece of his mind. May we do something for you stranger?

[/html]
Einarr did not have long to wait before his howl elicited a response. The pack member that appeared was clearly of dog descent with an interesting colouring; snow white fur giving way to tan brown all the way down his back, and limbs that looked as though they had been dipped in mud, earthy brown as they were. Einarr noted that the new comer was almost on a par in height with Einarr’s own Optime form . His longest look however was reserved for the weapons the other possessed, he couldn’t help it, they were obviously the greatest threat and his tactician’s mind demanded an assessment. I will not be a warrior in these lands he told himself again and covered his look with a bow as the other introduced himself, flowing into a submissive gesture as his mind thought of other things. Mido’s rank meant little to him, unfamiliar as he was with this pack’s structure, but any member would be of greater status than himself.

The moose had been a difficult decision, it proved what he might bring to the pack, but had it overplayed his hand? Had it given away too much? Should Einarr have arrived in his lupine form to better hide his physique? Was the pack member before him a hunter or a warrior? Perhaps Einarr was overthinking, but looking at situations from a hundred angles had been what had kept him alive this long.

”Greetings Mido, I am Einarr and have travelled to these lands seeking a home and pack.”

His tone was deep and rich, the voice of an orator, but the manner in which he spoke was that of a practical wolf, used to relaying what needed to be said without embellishment. His tone also lacked any queues that might hint at his thoughts or feelings.

”I seek acceptance into the Anathema pack.”

He gestured with his bloodied muzzle to the moose.

”I have brought this, to feed those in the pack who wish to eat it. It is a gift for the audience I have been given and is not a condition of my acceptance. Should you wish it, it is yours.”

With his intentions made clear, Einarr watched the dog before him for his response, favourable or otherwise.
WC::371 :]

[html]

Well thank you Einarr that is a very generous gift that you have brought our pack. It was a recent kill; he could smell the still fresh blood off him and the moose both. I hope he killed it not too away. That would be a bitch to drag along. Thankfully the creature he hauled with him was an adolescent, but good eats none the less. A full grown moose could tip the scales at eighteen hundred pounds, to much for any one wolf to move on their own. He glanced over the male with piercing blues, studying him. You seem like a pretty capable hunter.

The Rakeeb moved nearer the grey wolf, with a muscled arm he grabbed the beast by one of its shedding antlers. Turning to the loner he gestured for to follow with a free hand. Walk with me Einarr, we can talk as we move. He spoke with a smile. The mutt dropped the delectable gift several yards inside their territory, if an outsider made any attempt to take it, it would be game on. Anathema is a pretty tightly knit group, we all know each other well enough to get along. This place a refuge for misfits, outcasts and anybody else really that wishes to be part of the family. We range from light hearted canines to some blood thirsty, possibly questionable individuals. Mido moved at a steady moderate pace passing through the wooded area that protected the pack. One could get potentially lost if they didn’t know where they were going. Once member of our family you would always remain part of it. Even in the event that you so chose to leave and return to us later, you would be welcomed back. They weren’t known for rejecting someone wishing to join, unless they certified a bad reputation with them. This was not the case with Einarr though.

They breached the edge of the forest wall approaching the entrance of the howling caverns. He searched the male’s face for any signs of thought. Mido took his gift and respectful behavior as a good indication of his personality and type of individual he was. Having said what I did, do you still wish to join?

[/html]
[html]
OOC: [WC: 365 || Pts: 3

Every now and again, the large black male made a sweep of the border to make sure there were no strangers trying to invade the borders of Anathema. Usually, newcomers wishing passage through the pack lands or asking permission to join would howl for attention, to alert the Alpha's of their presence. This one was no different, it seemed. Kai had heard the call and had answered, making his way towards the source, but found the stranger was already being dealt with by another member of Anathema. He had seen this other male talking with Axelle one or twice and knew them to be friends, though Kai hadn't had much dealings with Mido before. Kai remained in the shadows, keeping a watchful eye on the stranger and Mido, listening to them converse.

Kai could see the stranger had brought an offering, the scent of the kill lingering on the air, causing Kai to lick his muzzle somewhat, his feral yellow eyes betraying his location if either one of them would glance his way. As Mido pulled the moose a little further inside Anathema's borders, Kai's Secui form crouched as if to further hide his presence. This newcomer had offered rather submissive gestures, which was a good sign. It meant he would obey Aeron as Angela. Kai's ears perked when Mido mentioned some of the Anathema members being a little more blood-thirsty than others, a dark smirk drifting over his snout.

Slinking around the pair, Kai trotted over towards where the stricken moose lay silently, sniffing at the animal briefly before snapping his jaws at the neck of the beast, tearing a large chunk of fur and meat, chewing on it hungrily before his head lifted and his eyes settled on the pair of males heading further into Anathema territory. Moving a distance behind them, Kai followed, moving ever closer, eventually making his presence known. "Another prospective member for the pack, hmm? It's good to see our numbers swelling. It makes the pack stronger. Kai let his eyes sweep briefly over the newcomer. "All pack members are required to help out in some way. Hunting, crafting tools, making maps... What can you bring to the table?"

Table and Siggy by Sammiie; Photo by Diana Pinto@flickr

<style>
.Kai04-text {padding:0px 10px;}
.Kai04 i {color:#ffffff; font-style:italic;}
.Kai04 b {color:#f2f2f2; font-weight:bold;}
.Kai04 {width:500px; margin:0 auto; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i49.tinypic.com/2uhu450.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding:300px 0px 6px 0px; font-family: verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px; color:#d3d3d3; word-spacing:.2px; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.1px; text-align:justify; border:1px solid #000000;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]
Einarr followed the Rakeeb through the woods, the dappled cool of the trees a welcome relief from the sun, it wasn’t so much the heat as the feeling of being exposed, outlined in bright light. As they moved, the grizzled grey wolf drew in the scents of his surroundings, eyes scanning, memorising their path, but all the time his ears were listening to Mido, the other’s, seemingly easy manner was gratifying, and his lack of ego refreshing. Anathema seemed like a strange pack though, one that accepted members back even should they leave? It was something Einarr had never encountered before and spoke of strong familial ties. For a moment his mind conjured up the memory of his birth pack, of family and of the loyalties that had existed there, but in a blink, the thoughts were dismissed.

As the tactician opened his mouth to speak, the scent of another came to him, he was beyond watched, and the scent was that of a wolf from this pack. Calling upon his training, he kept his hackles from rising and made no move to turn. He had paused for a heartbeat and once he’d detected the lurker he answered Mido’s last question.

”Yes, Rakeeb of the pack known as Anathema, I would still ask for membership.”

His face remained a mask of impassivity, guarding his thoughts and allowing only his words to speak for him.

As soon as he’d utter his last word, Einarr saw the lurker appear. The wolf’s colouring was darker than his own, and the scarring around the muzzle drew the eye. Fresh blood spattered the other’s muzzle from where he had bitten into the moose. Einarr watched his approach with no hint of surprise, no hint of any emotion at all. When the black wolf spoke, Einarr listened and bowed respectfully before answering.

”I am a good hunter, I can help to teach my pack that though they might be hidden from view, they should ensure their scent does not carry to those whom they wish to conceal themselves from.”

Perhaps it was a pointed remark, or perhaps not, his tone gave no hint of it. The black wolf’s question answered Einarr looked to Mido.

”You mentioned that this pack welcomes misfits, outcast and those looking for family. Which one of those categories do you place yourself in?”

He had not lied, he had answered the question he had been expecting. What could he do for the pack. He was a good hunter, he had to be to make sure his prey didn’t realise he was there until it was too late. Let him be a hunter here, let him feed the pack, he was sick of warring.
[html]

It was apparent that Einarr still wished to join their family of trouble makers. The voice that cut through the silence had been none other than Malakai. Was it bad that he could immediately identify the individual by sound of their voice? Mido thought the dark male was pretentious during their first encounter, and he still came off as cocky. He shot him a stern glare as he grilled the potential joiner. I didn’t realize I needed assistance accepting a member. Whatever the reason for his presence, the Rakeeb saw it as being disrespectful and overstepping the boundaries.

This man was kind enough to bring you dinner. It looks like you already helped yourself; it wouldn’t kill you to show a bit of gratitude. Einarr at least deserved the chance to prove himself to them, just like everybody else. Know your place in our midst’s Allu! He lambasted him with a coarse growl. The mutt was surprised to see the grey wolf humble the inquiry. Averting his attention to the one who needed it, he thought about his question. It wasn’t so much any one in particular. I’d have to say that I fall a little into each one them.

If you will pledge your allegiance to Aeron, our Angela; we can proceed, and I will perform the Rite of Agares. There after it would be official, you would be a member of Anathema.

[/html]
[html]
OOC: [WC: 249 || Pts:

Malakai's eyes remained locked upon the newcomer as he spoke about remaining hidden from sight as well as from scent, simply watching the male. The dark smirk remained etched upon Kai's snout as he caught the way the comment was almost directed to him. This could have gone either way - either Kai would have taken the comment as an insult, resulting in an aggressive response, or he would take it favourably, that the male had just the right amount of fire in him, the spirit that he thought most in Anathema had.

Slowly, Kai's grin broadened just a little before his eyes flicked over to Mido - the black male knew of his elevation within the pack, of his new role and authority, and after a moment, Kai's head bowed just a little, though that grin remained, echoed within his feral eyes. Mido told him he should know his place, and as Kai heard his growl, the black male had to bite his tongue to stop himself offering one back. "Very tasty a meal it seems, too. Any fine beast brought to the pack borders is always appreciated." His eyes flicked back over between the males. "Don't worry, Mido, I am well aware of my place."

Approaching the pair a little closer, Kai became a little more serious, his predatory grin fading just a little. "I think you'll fit right in around here. I hope you do decide to take the Ritual. Anathema looks after its own fiercely."

<style>
.Kai04 {width:500px; margin:0 auto; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i49.tinypic.com/2uhu450.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding:300px 0px 6px 0px; font-family: verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px; color:#d3d3d3; word-spacing:.2px; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.1px; text-align:justify; border:1px solid #000000;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]
Einarr re-adjusted his weight, moving to enable him to better keep both members in his field of view. The black wolf was almost a clichéd archetype of a cocky adolescent, a trope he had seen far more times than he’d have liked. This Malakai was also such a stark contrast to Mido, who seemed a great deal more welcoming, far more relaxed. Perhaps the Rakeeb’s rank rankled the other? The grizzled grey wolf was surprised at how lenient Mido was with such dis-respect, he had seen other members disembowel their subordinates for far less, but Einarr was the stranger here, and had no right to comment, so he kept his peace and his face a mask. The black wolf’s final statement seemed to be a divergence from that archetype he had, only moments before, seemed to fit so neatly into. The implicit offer of protection and hope of his joining. After a moment he spoke again, the tone and voice remained the same.

”Angela is a term unfamiliar to me, is that the Alpha of your pack? You wish me to pledge my allegiance to the leader rather than the pack? If a member challenges Angela should I protect her against such a challenge?”

The questions might have seemed trivial, but in Einarr’s mind leaders changed, the pack remained strong because of it. He realised now how traditional of a pack structure he had grown up within, there had been only wolves and the rules had seemed simpler.

”What is the Rite of Agares?”

He continued, wanting to make sure he understood what was expected of him completely before pledging his loyalty.
WC::328 OOC:: Almost there XD

[html]

So long as you understand, we’ll be fine Malakai. He spoke with a content grin on his masked face. The huskadore was still getting use to his promotion to a leader rank. Characteristically Mido was not overly dominating and he wasn’t very submissive either; he was neutrality. Generally being a very receptive individual, and self withheld; he hated getting worked up and losing his temper, as it never turned out well.

Yes, Angela or Angelo is Alpha. Glancing at him he wondered if he used the wrong choice of words. Pledging your allegiance to her would be the same as giving it to all of us. We’re a family and she does whatever is in our best interests. The Rakeeb couldn’t restrain his laughter at his question. No. You wouldn’t need to protect her from a challenge. She’s a strong and capable woman who can take care of herself. She was an ex-assassin originally from Inferni with plenty of experience. It wouldn’t surprise him in the least if she could still hold her own against him. If there was ever a time or reason that she couldn’t though, he would delegate himself to resolving the problem.

The Rite of Agares, it is our joining ritual for new members. By meshing your blood with the blood of leadership, you would be part of our family. Tied to us by blood, forever, no matter where you go. You will have and share in the support that is us. He paused giving the man a moment to consider the thought. Mido pulled one of the Kamas off his hip. I would make a small a cut on your paw and one on my hand, then press the two open wounds together. Then it would be all over, you’d be stuck with us as your family. With the small scythe shaped blade in hand, he gave the man an easy smile. So, what do you think? Still wanna go through with this?

[/html]
The Rakeeb’s laughter obviously showed their Alpha was strong, but no one remains so, Einarr’s question had been meant for when she should no longer lead the pack, but he would hopefully grasp more of the situation afterwards, the lure of family was a strong one. For a long while now he had been within packs, but never part of them, always a ‘contractor’ he hoped he would be able to remember how to behave.

The sound of the kamas leaving its sheath had an instant and electric effect on Einarr, muscles appeared on all his limbs, his hackles rose, indeed, his entire demeanour appeared different. His stance changed to one of better defence, once more re-assessing his weight. So this was it? He had been lured into a pack’s lands, this was how they dealt with strangers? The motion of the unsheathing had been so unexpected, it had caught him off guard, and he berated himself for such a ridiculous response, to have given away so much, it rankled. He huffed a deep breath and regained his former equanimity, relinquishing the defensive posture, and allowing his hackles to settle.

”I apologise, I am…uneasy when weapons are drawn near me, I was not expecting it.”

His tone was as it had been before and he bowed in respect and submission. While every instinct screamed at him for what he was about to do and allow himself to be so vulnerable, he lifted his massive paw from the ground and exposed the pad. Once more his weight shifted to take into consideration his new centre of gravity.

”I am willing, if you will have me.”

He said simply.
[html]
OOC: [WC: 228 || Pts:

Kai's gaze flicked between the other two males, watching them calmly though with an ever present grin etched upon his features. He offered a very slight bow of his head to Mido as he mentioned that they would be fine if he understood his place, and listened to the newcomer ask Mido questions about who the Angela was and what the Ritual was, and he thought back to his own time of joining this gang of outcasts, when he himself had asked the same questions of Alaki, had watched the previous Angelo draw his blade and cut his own paw. It had been the saving of Malakai, this pack, and despite his generally aggressive and disrespectful attitude, he was grateful to Anathema and its members for taking him in.

When the newcomer seemed to flinch as Mido drew the blade as he explained about the cutting ritual, Kai's smirk seemed to fade just a little. He was certainly unsettled by the drawing of the blade, be it the motion or the sound or both, and Kai wondered why - it was something to bare in mind about this one. But he seemed to agree to the ritual and to joining the pack in general, and shifting just a little closer to the pair, Kai watched as Anathema was about to gain a new member to swell the ranks.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
WC::323 OOC::Welcome!!!

[html]

Mido could clearly see the subliminal change in the male’s demeanor. His eyes dilated, his mind shortly going into over drive, ready for whatever to come. Prior to Einarr’s submissive, respectful attitude he tensed and briefly entered the fight or flight mode. The Rakeeb wouldn’t stoop so low as to take advantage of someone like that. He just wasn’t that kind of guy and it wasn’t his style, yet he couldn’t blame him for feeling the way he did. He had every right to be concerned for his own well being. The grey wolf quickly apologized and explained himself.

That’s quite alright. The loner male raised a large paw in his direction. With the Kama in one hand he used his free one to steady his paw. With precision he made a small cut on his paw pad, only enough to make him bleed. Not so much care for his own body, he made a clean elongated slice along the largest pad on his hand. The blood flowed freely as pressed the two open wound wounds together. It was all over, it hadn't been a big deal to him; though he hoped that it wasn’t too much for the grey wolf.

Welcome to the family Zepar. He addressed the new member with a smile. Concerning where you will stay, you have a couple of options. In Thackery village you can stay in a room at the Strom Tree Villa or one of the free houses; then there are the Howling Caverns, you can choose one of the open dens. The mutt gestured for him to follow. Moving into the caverns, he led them down one of the long halls and into the general common room. We can help you get settled in somewhere; get you a couple furs and such. Or if you’re feeling ambitious, you can navigate the cave system yourself and get a feel for the place, it’s up to you.

[/html]
[html]
Welcome to Anathema!

What’s next?

• Have a quick a read over the pack website.
  • Want to claim a den, room or house? Make a reply to Anathema Maintenance
  • Start posting and having fun!
  • After making 20 IC posts you can decide which Rank Tier you wish to enter.
  • Have any questions? PM Either Marie or Alexander

[/html]
The tactician in Einarr had rebelled at the sight of the naked blade, but the grizzled grey wolf had got himself under control quickly, inwardly annoyed at himself for having reacted so obviously, but it was done now.

The rite was quick and one that Einarr could understand, blood bond. The life force of this pack now, in a very real sense, ran through him. The blade had been so sharp that it took a tensing of his leg to get the blood to flow from the wound, another scar to add to the myriad. The firm grip of his Rakeeb was both comforting and welcome, he just hoped that the rules of a pack would not chaff at one who’d spent so long outside looking in.

He followed the Mido into the common room, the scent of the different members turning into a giant miasma that hung about the place, not unpleasant, just a little startling.

”Thank you…Rakeeb” the word was unfamiliar and sounded odd ”Much of my time has been spent sleeping where I lie, which is more than adequate for now. I will explore the tunnels myself thank you.”

He wanted to get a feel for the terrain, he did his best not to place his cut paw on the floor, not because it hurt, but again the tactician in him knew that leaving droplets of blood upon the floor would be an easy path for anyone wishing to follow.

”Thank you for your acceptance and your hospitality.”