Whisper of the Wind
[html]
Out of Character

1pt for word of the day

In Character

After a day of collecting, then sleeping, he had acquired quite the supply of dirft wood. Helios was happy to just lay among the gnarled pieces rather than actually begin carving into them, each, in his opinion, had a special character to them that he didn't want to spoil. He brought to his odd eyes, a chunk that was especially warped and curved. Humming to himself, he produced an image in his mind of what it might be if he pursued it. Inhaling slowly, he laid onto his back, putting the piece nearby as he stared up at the slate grey sky. It was bound to rain any day and despite his better nature he had decided that shelter was an optional affair. Lounging in the cool sand was an activity the thickly furred Australian Shepherd much preferred.

Closing his eyes, he could hear the whisper of the waves and the whistle of the wind. He didn't want to bollix up his carvings. Fingering his fine whittling knife in one hand, he ran his fingers through the sand in thought. It was getting colder by the second despite it being almost mid day. Though the cold didn't bother, the absence of others and their voices was a bit daunting. He felt utterly alone out on the beach. With only the presence of a few distant gulls, he was solitary. Helios didn't like being along, he liked to talk with others. His sister was often at his side but she had taken to wandering other regions of Nova Scotia without him. He didn't mind so much, but when she wasn't around there really wasn't much else to do. Not that was was ever much of a talker, but Helios had learned his way around a quiet character. Huffing a sigh again and grabbing the driftwood again, he took up pouting and examining it once again.

<style>
.Kowl-country p {padding:0px 20px 10px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.Kowl-country b {color:#171816;}
.Kowl-country-b {width:402px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0px auto;}
.Kowl-country-header {font-family:georgia, serif; color:#8AA40F; 0px 0px 4px; float: right; margin:5px; text-transform:uppercase; font-size:15px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.Kowl-country-ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.Kowl-country {background-color:#B0BFD2; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #DDE6CF; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#474844; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:14px; width:400px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/1lUW4.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 240px 0px; }
</style>
[/html]
Hadley had headed out to collect some drift wood. The weather was turning bad, and he thought it'd be a good idea to collect dry wood while it was still there to be had. Amatha trundled along as well, alternating between being carried and tripping over everything she came across. The large male smiled fondly at his daughter, watching her head out over everything. She was the light of his life, perhaps even rivaling Isa for his affections, even when his mate held his heart in the palm of his hand.

They reached the beach, Hadley picking up driftwood as he came across it. He hummed softly, Amatha enjoying the feel of the sand under her paws. Spotting another canine up ahead he smiled broadly, lifting a hand in greeting. Lousy weather to be out in. Amatha lead the charge towards the stranger, managing to not fall as she leaped over and sat down, watching the stranger with bright hazel eyes. Hadley settled down next to her, grinning at the dog. Are you a carver?
[html]

In Character

The sound and smell of new canines was quite the surprise. When he did hear the voice, he had bounced up both with excitement and abruptness. Not that he wasn't happy, he was ecstatic. As a dog of great gregarious character he could hardly stand being all solitary and somber when he could be cheery. The sudden surge of emotion caused his hindquarters to give a sort of wiggle even optime form could not stop it. Grinning broadly, he returned the greeting. "Hello and welcome to my exclusive bit of beach! Where the weather's gray and the sand grayer." He fashioned himself to be quite witty after the remark but found his interest taken up by the strangers question.

"Oh, yes. I love to carve, I find it to be a beautiful form of expression. I never keep any pieces for long though, I usually just leave them where I make them." His smile had expanded to such that his eyes could hardly stay open. This new fellow seemed to be of the agreeable sort and the younger seemed even more friendly. She was obviously young and had an appearance of youthful naivety about her. Her guardian didn't have the same visage of peace in his countenance. There was a shadow of something but Helios did not bother to analyze it further than that. A friendly canine was a friend to him no matter their past. "I assume you carve as well?"

It was not often that others inquired about his often extensive collections of wood or pieces of antler. Even his sister had begun ignoring his slight hording habit about him. Strangers often just assumed he was just a little bit off his rocker except when he was actually committing to a piece of work, especially due to the fact he very rarely had any of the carvings on his person.

<style>
.Kowl-country-header {font-family:georgia, serif; color:#8AA40F; 0px 0px 4px; float: right; margin:5px; text-transform:uppercase; font-size:15px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.Kowl-country-ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.Kowl-country {background-color:#B0BFD2; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #DDE6CF; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#474844; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:14px; width:400px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/1lUW4.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 240px 0px; }
</style>
[/html]
The canine suddenly erupted into movement, straightening up with his tail creating it's own miniature storm behind him. Amatha stumbled backwards in surprise, wide eyes staring at the tail. Hadley gathered Amatha up, soothingly clucking to her. It wasn't often that she was surprised by other things as Hadley made sure that her life was sheltered. As harmless as the dog's movements were, Hadley still watched with care, Amatha safely tucked into his grasp now and unlikely to be set free.

The remark was funny, a wry smile twisting across the carver's face at the stranger's words. Not so sure about the exclusive part. The weather part he had no argument about. Tilting his head he had to wonder why such an enthusiastic carver would abandon his work. If you put all that care into making them, why would you just leave them behind? The question embarrassed Hadley slightly, always a little awkward talking about himself. I do...fix things, and make small carvings. He had been told he had talent, though he did not see it himself.
[html]

In Character

Seeing that the others were taken aback by his eccentric movement, he toned it down. His eager quivering reduced to a flicking ear or a lolling tongue. Smiling broadly, he peered over at the two that had come to him. Humming away pleasantly, he took his time in replying.

"Well, I'm used to traveling light. As you see, I have nothing on me other than my father's sword and a small knife. Life is hard in the wilderness and I have everything I need right here! Fur to keep me warm, teeth to eat with a body to wrestle with." Turning his eyes to the dark sky, he quietly contemplated the horizon. It was a very intimidating grey and there was a bit of a breeze. Smelling the air, he felt a chill run down his spine. Helios very rarely felt cold and it was a disconcerting feeling. Putting away the feeling, he tucked his knees up against his chest to try to ward off the chill. "I'd love to see your work sometime, even things that are repairs have a certain beauty about them."

Helios decided that the two were fine company to keep. He found them both rather peaceful, in a good place and content with themselves. It had been awhile since he had known such peace and tranquility, coming to the beach was a close substitute though. The wind and the sound of the water was soothing.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
The dog calmed down some seeing the startled movement, Amatha rapidly returning to squirming around to get out and meet this new canine. Hadley's grip remained firm however. He wasn't about to let his pup go out and accidentally get herself harmed poking her nose around the various items that the stranger had with him, even if he was as friendly as he appeared to be. He nodded his head, knowing what it meant to own so little. Hadley owned a hat, some carving tools, and a house where he lived with Isa. The rest were either toys and necessities for Amatha or items belonging to his mate.

The compliment brought his head down a little, smiling. Thanks. It was good to have his work appreciated, even if it wasn't truly anything great. Could repairs have a beauty to them? He hadn't looked for it, not thinking that such a thing existed. My name's Hadley. This is my daughter Amatha. He shifted the pup in his arms, holding out a hand to shake it. He was rather enjoying this conversation, even if the weather was nowhere near as pleasant as he'd like it to be. It felt rather threatening.
[html]

In Character

Helios eagerly reached out and clasped hands with the older wolf. Grinning broadly, he offered his name in exchange, "Helios Kowl." The dog stated and giving the sky another look he felt a distant tremor of anxiety shoot through him. The wind and the waves were not weakening, while rough weather was fine, Helios had a deep fear of storms. He masked his fear well and gave Amatha a warm smile. >b> "It's very nice meeting both of you, being relatively new to this country and all." Meeting strangers was a trait he adopted without choice, having traveled through many different territories being amiable was necessary to keep good relations, especially for a traveler with not much in the world other than his own skin.

Though, he had never been to the sea, which is why he sat in the gray sand despite the weather and chilled wind. Weather inland never seemed to have the same ferocity that the endless water had. In his short time, he had experienced nothing but pleasantness in the weather. Since fall had come onto the land, with winter quick approaching, he had expected to have face the elements. So far, despite the wind and hissing waves, it had proved to be kind to him. To put his mind away from the weather, he turned towards Hadley and his daughter, "Where do you fit in around here? Part of a pack?"

<style>
</style>
[/html]
Amatha reached over, immediately licking at the offered hand of the stranger. He did seem rather nice, so Hadley didn't stop her from doing that. His name was rather unusual to Hadley's ears, but there were many unusual names out there. Hadley followed Helios' eyes up to the sky, remembering why he'd come out. He wanted to get as much wood as possible so they could stay warm while the rain drenched everything. He had to hurry, or there might not be anything dry to burn.

It's pleasant to meet you as well. Hadley's grip was firm, the callouses on his palm easy to feel. When he released the other's hand he settled down, letting Amatha slip free to sniff at the various carvings. He watched her with care to make sure that she didn't hurt herself on anything. We belong to the pack Casa di Cavalieri. It's a warrior pack dedicated to helping others. He straightened up with pride as he explained the pack. It had saved him and gave him a purpose in life. He wouldn't betray it.
[html]
Out of Character

In Character

"Wow, fancy," he said was an appreciative expression. While simultaneously taking Amatha's offered head lightly and giving her a bright smile. Helios wasn't sure how he was like fighting and protecting others. Other than hand to hand combat he was not much of a fighter. Though, he was a stout and brawny fellow he could not even use his father's own sword to defend himself. He could see that Hadley was very proud of his pack and he didn't want to offend the hybrid that was easily two feet taller than him. Helios did consider that going for the knees, in that scenarios, would be the best option...

The weather had not been improving while they sat there, idly chatting as the clouds darkened and the see frothed further. Standing slowly, as not to frighten, he stretched out an ache from his back and gave his furry body a shake to rid him of some of the sand. Hadley seemed more eager to get something done than lounge while rain was quickly approaching. "I don't want to keep you waiting here, need help with anything? I'm sure you have a purpose for being out here, not really a day for a stroll on the beach." Helios had nothing better to do, though his inner help-thy-brother had kicked in. Looking down at the wood he had collected he shrugged it off, there would be other days when he could collect and carve.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
He grinned broadly at Helios' words praising his pack. That was right, his pack was pretty incredible. No reason for others to mock it when it helped others and had such a strong member basis. Amatha continued her small exploration over the sticks, Hadley's eyes glued to her frame to make sure she didn't get hurt. She wasn't a small pup, living in a pack full of rather large canines, but to him she was delicate and fragile. The approaching storm did earn another quick gaze out to sea before he gathered Amatha up as Helios stood.

Nodding his head he gestured widely. The storm's going to soak everything, so I want to get some wood to burn before that happens. I have some supplies already in case I have to make repairs, and I'd rather not be forced to burn that. Using wet wood for carpentry was not only difficult, it could result in warped wood and flawed work that became dangerous later on. He didn't want to wait for it to dry when everyone would be busy moving forwards, so getting a supply of it was the only option.
[html]
out of character

"Well, let me give you hand. Two dogs are better than one, right?" A smile curled his muzzle and he immediately bent to the task of collecting and stacking wood in his arms. The work was not completely charity, if he helped, he hoped he could earn some shelter for the night. Helios hated storms, minor and large, he had simply spent too many of them exposed and terrified to appreciate their savage beauty at work. Just the thought of that made his head twitch towards his father's sword. He had used to love storms when he was a puppy, his father would have joked and laughed his fears away.

Helios shook away the memory and reached for another piece of wood. He didn't want to over encumber himself if the distance was exceedingly far. Strong as he was, he wasn't invincible to strain. "Where's your place anyway?" He asked, throwing the question over his shoulder. He set his collection of wood down and turned to survey the ocean and the sky. Dark clouds were accumulating with a frightening pace. He would be surprised if rain didn't hit within the hour. Hugging himself to relish the warmth that he had and hoping that whatever was coming would be short lived.

There was nothing he hated more than rain drenched fur.

<style type="text/css">
.heliraz .space {width:200px; height:300px; float:left;}
.heliraz b {color:#866f71; text-shadow:#000 1px 1px 2px;}
.heliraz p {text-indent:0px; padding:7px 20px; margin:0px;}
.heliraz {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#160000; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/aeT8y.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000; padding:105px 0px 0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#fff; line-height:16px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
Hadley grinned, nodding his head. It would be great to have some help. Amatha followed along at the heels of the two adults as they moved down picking up the drift wood. They couldn't move too fast as Hadley couldn't hold Amatha and collect the wood, and she was too young to really keep up at a brisker pace. At least they were getting twice the wood now as Helios moved with them. Hadley picked them up with a swift speed, making sure to steer them in directions where there was plenty to gather in one spot.

It's just a short trot down. You can probably smell the borders from here. Hadley looked out and frowned, grabbing a few more pieces. He was lucky that he had a good arms load, enough for at least a few hours. We should probably head back. Do you have a place to shelter? He'd been good enough to help him, the least Hadley could do was offer for him to stay with them. Helios didn't seem dangerous either. There was no deadly black smoke around him.
[html]
out of character

Lifting his nose to the wind, he could detect a foreign pack in the distance. He had explored too far in that direction for it was unfamiliar to him. Helios would relish the exploration, many wolves feared the unknown, Helios ran straight forward and let hell go loose. At times, the Shepherd had a very one track mind and could not be deterred from his conquests. It could often be extremely helpful, but during most scenarios it proved to be more dangerous than beneficial. Briefly watching Amatha's tottering pace and couldn't help but feel amused by the small canines curiosity and simple smallness. (For it wasn't often that Helios was able to feel very tall.)

Turning back to Hadley to reply, he gave a half shrug, "Not really, I'm a bit of nomad at the moment. My last napping place was up in a tree and it didn't end so well." The red merle gave his best winning smile and picked up yet another piece of wood. At this point, he had a very good collection in his arms. Knowing the distance was short, he didn't mind giving himself a bit more a load to bring down to Hadley's home. The hybrid obviously had a family to keep warm. Helios couldn't recall if he even knew how to light a fire, his thick pelt had always kept him warm enough to keep on going. Though, a nice warm house for the night was very endearing. "Would you mind sparing a few feet of your floor for the weary traveler?"

<style type="text/css">
.heliraz {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#160000; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/aeT8y.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000; padding:105px 0px 0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#fff; line-height:16px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
A tree? That didn't sound like a very good place for him to end up during the storm. Especially with how bad it appeared this one was planning on turning out. Hadley paused to let Amatha catch up before kneeling down and awkwardly scooping her into his arms. She half hanged off him as he continued, squirming and about ready to fall out of his arms as he picked up his pace. There was too much wood in his arms to manage to balance her properly, but he wasn't willing to let go of anything.

Of course! The pack would enjoy having you with us. He couldn't turn away Helios. Not when he was so needy. Hadley glanced over at him again, but he didn't catch any hints of deceit. The scarred male would just have to trust that this one truly meant no harm and was as nice as he appeared to be. There were no warnings telling him otherwise after all. It was difficult, but Helios had helped him and he had taken an oath to help those in need. Helios fit under that. His steps carried them to the borders, Hadley nodding with his head for Helios to keep going as they stepped over into the forest towards his home.
[html]
out of character

Hefting the wood higher up in his arms, he could see the judgement in Hadley's face when he described his tree living accommodations. He couldn't help but chuckle at them, he had lived worse places, but didn't like to dwell on past experiences. Though, his mind automatically went toward his father's sword that rested on his hit and he felt his grin falter for the briefest of seconds. He was still very grateful that he was going to have a place to stay for the night. He wondered where he sister had gotten up to but he reasoned that she would have probably more luck than him with her uncanny ways. Not to mention, she had a cloak to keep her warm.

As they came to the border, he unintentionally faltered before crossing the scent marked borders. It was against his nature to trespass on land but with Hadley there he felt very welcomed within the territory. His instinct simply kicked in to tell him it was dangerous. But as they continued on deeper he began to feel more comfortable that the strong smelling border was behind them. "I won't stay long," he spoke firmly as he looked around, "Only for the night, or as long as this storm sticks around." Nervously checking the sky he hastened his pace slightly. He would be eager when the house came into sight, he would scurry on it and plop himself down and take a good long sleep. Humming happily, he matched paces with the hybrid.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
The hesitation was expected. Hadley certainly had trouble passing over different borders himself. He really only was comfortable approaching Aniwaya as they had offered him sanctuary. Helios kept up with him fairly well as they passed through the forest, the scarred hybrid occasionally pausing and checking the sky to see how close it was to breaking. The storm hadn't completely shattered out yet, but the wind was ruffling his fur and he felt almost like Amatha was going to be whipped out of his grasp and carried away.

Nodding his head Hadley moved through the fort and the more populated area before reaching the home and letting Amatha scamper out to where her comfortable room was. That will be fine. Setting the wood down Hadley grabbed some choice pieces to start a fire. He had a feeling that his sparing the carpentry wood would make little difference in the long run as other pack members would take from it, but at least it would last longer since he wouldn't be dipping into it himself. Find a place and make yourself comfortable.
[html]
out of character
Let's have this one be the last one.

Helios was all too willing to enter the home and take the liberty of scoping out a comfortable spot, even before he had set his wood down. Placing the considerable amount in a rather haphazard pile next to Hadley's he flopped onto the floor. Instantly, he was comfortable. The floor was not the most unreasonable place he had ever slept. In fact, he could already feel his eyes becoming heavy from the warmth the room and he hadn't even been there for more than a moment. Stifling a yawn, he tucked his hands behind his head and lay stretched out on the floor very close to the hearth. An almost cat like purr hummed from his lips, "These are nice digs." He commented amiable, yawning once again.

He appreciated the hybrid's kindness, neither of them knew each other but Hadley had willingly allowed Helios into his home and provided him a floor to sleep on. A smile drew onto his muzzle and he closed his eyes briefly to enjoy the warmth and to reflect on his own luck. Someday he would have a nice house and would a daughter that would love him just as Amatha loved Hadley. He would be in a pack, warm, contented and most of all rooted in one place. When those days came he wouldn't have to wander around and wonder when his next meal was going to come or if he was going to have to sleep in the rain. A sigh emanated from his lips. "Y'know, Hadley, you're a good guy." Closing his eyes he smiled, "I'm glad we met each other on the beach. I'm especially glad I don't have to spend my night in that storm, but mostly glad I met you."

Chuckling without opening his eyes, he rolled over onto his side and fell quickly asleep. In the morning he would be gone, but until then he would enjoy the warmth and security of a roof.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]