Delineation of borders?
I was just curious: I've always thought that borders weren't a strict line across a territory but more a general gradient where scents grow stronger and it becomes more obvious that a pack has laid claim to a certain area. So if a wolf notices, 'hey, this smells an awful lot like a pack,' they'd stop and howl versus walking farther into claimed territory. I've always thought there might be a few metres of a buffer where the scents aren't a perfect ring around the territory, so you couldn't say: 'If I take one more step, I'm in claimed territory.' Is that right?
i always thought as scent markers like a dotted area of where the pack was and they would "pass" the borders right after the strongest scent of the markers /shrug.
Yeah, what you said makes the most sense. As humans we're used to property lines and fences and that sort of deal, so we forget that there can't be like, a perfectly straight line of scent.

What Shaw says makes some sense too, and I imagine after the "markers" the intensity of the scent would probably decrease a bit? But it's up to the individual canine to decide whether they really want to push their luck as far as deciding where the actual border is. Tongue Plus I doubt it would be a consistent line at all; one border-marker might pee somewhere one day and not get the exact spot, so it'd probably shift on a gradual basis unless there are clear landmarks (like a tree or rock) consistently marked.

And then Inferni puts up pretty decorations on their borders as a courteous way to define them. 8D
Actually, scent markings can last for up to two weeks! Wikipedia talks about this some, and how wolves will typically mark around landmarks so as to really make the point go home.

We use lines for the map to make the borders very clear, but I would assume that the scents would indeed "blur" some when one was close to the borders, though the actual markings would make a very clear line of ownership (more or less).
Awesome, those are all kind of the ideas I had. I also didn't know that they lasted for two weeks. That is... potent. :l

Thanks, dudes Big Grin
Piddle is very potent Big Grin
QUOTE (Vesper @ Sep 23 2012, 02:50 PM)
And then Inferni puts up pretty decorations on their borders as a courteous way to define them. 8D[/quote]
They're so caring! Big Grin