He's a killer & he's a keeper
[html]
(292) Backdated to Sept. 23 – don’t worry about Tyko, he won’t hurt your character O.o

He had managed to get Deo and Abella into the little farmhouse next to the sunflower fields. Getting the horse in there was a pain in the ass, but soon Deo cooperated noting that he didn’t want to be stuck out in the storm. Deo was way too big to be inside the house, but he managed by laying his massive body down in the corner, flipping over the table in the process. All the old dishes that sat on the table and collected dust were all smashed on the floor. Tyko paid the horse’s error no mind. It wasn’t his house or his dishes. He could care less.

Abella situated herself in the far corner of the kitchen, away from any windows. She was nervous, but she looked calm out the outside. She was fidgety, which gave it away. She toyed with the string from her wrapped wrist, and kept her eyes off of Tyko and away from Deo. The house around them creaked and groaned from the pushing winds, and it would probably start leaking soon due to the rains. She didn’t know how long it took for houses to start leaking. Then again, they hadn’t gone upstairs so for all they knew, it could be leaking already.

Tyko took a good kitchen chair and settled himself in front of the door. The door had no type of lock, and so anyone could come in and slaughter them during a storm. And he hoped they would try. He was on edge ever since the winds started to pick up. He sat on the chair with a big butcher’s knife in his right hand, staring at the door. Waiting for something that would signal him to strike out against opposing forces.

<style>
.tykooop1 b {color:#7E524C;}
.tykooop1 p {text-indent:30px; padding:0px 10px 0px 10px; margin: 0px 0px 5px 0px;}
.tykooop1 {font-family:verdana; font-size:11px; color:#4B1D1D; letter-spacing:.1pt; line-height:9pt; padding:120px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #fff; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/hKWzO.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-color:#000; width:500px; text-align:justify; }
.tykooopbord {width:502px; border:1px solid #000; -webkit-box-shadow: 5px 5px 5px #5D5D5D; box-shadow: 5px 5px 5px #5D5D5D;}
</style>[/html]
[html]<style type="text/css">
.shylome p
{
text-indent: 20px;
}
</style>

"Always something going on with this cursed place."

It never occurred to Shylome to knock. Doors never blocked her way into anything important back home, and the concept of a doorknob was lost on her when her paws could not form into humanoid digits. No, this was a four-footed creature, would always be a four-footed creature, and she used her mouth to manipulate the world. In this particular case, she had taken the doorknob in her heavy jaws and yanked backwards sharply. She understood that the house was hollow inside: this much she could tell from the windows, and the door looked like the weakest point in the whole thing.

It did not cooperate, since no twisting motion urged the doorknob to yield. All I want is shelter and to eat whatever that prey smell is coming from, she thought. Horses, were they called? It was a simple desire, and a reasonable one in the face of this very unexpected storm. The more the door resisted her intentions, the angrier she got.

At length, her temper got the best of her and she outright attacked the threshold, her jaws clenching with her species' impressive pressure down on the space where the knob met the wood.

It popped. Or splintered. Or something. A metal piece flew above her head and she tumbled backwards into a mud puddle.

Not that the mud really bothered her, but it did occlude her form quite a bit and made her look like some kind of oversized slime monster of darkness stepping slowly past the defeated door as the thunder boomed.

[/html]
[html]
(300) Ooc.

There was a loud bang and the door slowly blew open – and before that, there was some commotion with it. Tyko hadn’t cared because it remained closed, but now that it swung open – he cared. The large man snarled and jumped up, knocking the chair over behind him. He stepped toward the door with the knife in hand and waited for it to swing completely open.

When it did, Abella looked terrified. She had no idea what that mud monster could be. She jumped off of her chair and hid behind the counter, out of sight from whatever that thing was. Deo neighed, clearly spooked, and jumped up – further breaking the table into even more pieces. He tried to rear, but there wasn’t enough room in the low-ceilinged house. Instead, he stomped his hoof and flicked his tail annoyedly. He continued to stomp and snort at the weird creature at their door.

Tyko reacted with a snarl and he stepped toward the creature with the knife in hand ready to cut them down. But as he took those few seconds to walk toward it, the pelting rain washed most of the mud away for him to see that it was another canine. Still, that didn’t stop him. He didn’t lower the knife, and approached the doorway so that the canine could not enter any more. ”Who are you? What do you want here?” He wasn’t any less hostile, and maybe if he scented a female’s scent he would have been. Abella began to peek over the counter now at the scene that was going on at the door. She could see Tyko’s big frame blocking the entranceway, and the gleaming knife in his hand. The steel would reflect a bright light every time the lightning would crack throughout the sky.

<style>
.tykooop1 p {text-indent:30px; padding:0px 10px 0px 10px; margin: 0px 0px 5px 0px;}
.tykooop1 {font-family:verdana; font-size:11px; color:#4B1D1D; letter-spacing:.1pt; line-height:9pt; padding:120px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #fff; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/hKWzO.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-color:#000; width:500px; text-align:justify; }
.tykooopbord {width:502px; border:1px solid #000; -webkit-box-shadow: 5px 5px 5px #5D5D5D; box-shadow: 5px 5px 5px #5D5D5D;}
</style>[/html]
.shylome p
{
}
</style>

Shylome found a two-legged form blocked her way inside of the house she'd worked so hard to open.

Somehow, she expected the sight of a two-legs to drive her into a bloodthirsty rage, yet somehow it didn't. Perhaps it was the fact that she'd grown accustomed to the scent of wolves as a friendly one, or perhaps her nerves had been so dulled by surprise that she simply didn't care anymore.

Either way, it was with half sleepy eyes that she looked up at the male's face. She was aware that he held a knife, but the two-legged form was inherently gangly, unstable, and ungraceful in her mind. She doubted he'd be able to move faster than she could react, and if he was using a piece of metal in lieu of his claws and jaws, there must be something wrong with his body. "You should not stand with only two of your legs like a bird, Brother, unless you can fly." She laughed, a jittery noise contrasted with her relaxed appearance. "It would not surprise me in this place."

He had asked a question, however. "You bosbefok? Is it too far up there to see the rain and the wind? It's down here by your cock and balls, ne? The males in this land are bold. They speak to a female this way." She shook herself off, scattering water all around simply for the rain to soak more into her fur. "Do you have cause to keep me from coming in from the monsoon, or will you let a sister dry off and enjoy some of that..." she paused to inhale deeply. That wonderful, comforting scent. "...zebra you have in there?"

[/html]
[html]
(266) Ooc.

The way the hyena spoke confused Tyko, which in turn only made him more angry. A confused creature was not a good sign, and he really didn’t understand what she was trying to tell him. It was only that once she splashed most of the mud off of her coat that he realized that it was a female speaking to him, and not just a male with a squeaky voice. Let alone, he had never spoken to a hyena before. The black man continued to stand in the way of the door, but as Abella noticed what the mud monster was – she spoke calmly to Tyko. ”Let her in, Tyko.” Then she slowly rose from her hiding place and sat back on the chair she was originally meant to stay on until they could leave the house.

Tyko ignored Abella for the moment and looked back at the hyena, ”Zebra?” He quirked an eyebrow at the peculiar statement, but moved back to let the female in the house. ”You’d better not eat my horse. I will not hold back to defend what is mine.” He warned her before he shut the door behind her. He expected her to shake off and soak them all, so he held his arm out toward the couches off to the side of the living room. ”You can get comfortable in there, if you’d like. There is no food available here, unless you’d like to rummage through all the old human food.” He couldn’t see how there would be anything to be found in a house as old as this one.

<style>
</style>[/html]
.shylome p
{
}
</style>

Shylome stepped assertively into the room as soon as the black wolf permitted, curious at the voice and scent of another further in until a still more curious sight met her eyes.

There stood the zebra... err... horse in the house, still quite alive. It didn't even appear injured.

With a slow, melancholy motion, the hyena shook her head. "My poor, poor brother," she began. Suddenly his words made sense."With that unfortunate form, you cannot even kill prey that cannot move and stands right below your nose." Her brown eyes looked up at her host, heavy with sympathy. "I understand that you have your pride. I will not insult it by killing what you cannot. It does not seem to be fleeing anywhere anytime soon. Better keep an eye on it, though. This piece of the wall is now open."

She proceeded to forget about the horse, shook herself off, and began sniffing around the corners of the room. There was a female "wolf" there, though she didn't smell like a normal "wolf", but she couldn't yet detect others.

"What is a human?" she asked between sniffs, almost as an afterthought. "I am new to this... land. Some of your creatures do not live where I come from."

[/html]
[html]
(276) Ooc.

Abella watched the little dog curiously as she entered. The dog smelled male, but it was clear that she was female at this short distance. Abella’s purple eyes watched as she sniffed around, looked interestedly at Deo, and then continued to sniff. Tyko stood by the door still with the knife in hand watching the odd creature come in and sniff around. Then he eyed the broken table and got an idea that would benefit both them and the horse.

He closed the door, and dragged the table over to it. The table already lay on its side, and so when he pushed it against the swinging door, the table allowed it to close all the way and keep the wind out, while also giving Deo more space in his corner. Tyko moved some of the chairs out of his way so that the horse had a nice little space.

Abella watched the other carefully, ”What’s your name?” She had the urge to shift down and talk to the little canine face to face, but she didn’t. Instead she crouched in the chair, and slid to face wherever the young lady was sniffing. ”And where do you come from?” It wasn’t often that Tyko came in contact with suitable company for Abella, and usually he would disagree with his servant even talking to anyone, but he didn’t see the little Hyena as a threat so he let them talk. He resumed his place on the chair with the knife in front of the door blockaded by the table. He concentrated on the door and the weather outside, and blocked their little conversation out of his mind.

<style>
</style>[/html]
.shylome p
{
}
</style>

The room looked secure enough, or so Shylome decided as the table blocked out the sound of the wind and the rain. Much better. Perhaps the two-legged form had uses.

It was only then that she became aware of the "off-wolf" (for she hadn't really yet familiarized herself with the concept of a coyote) near her, speaking to her.

Now there was something in the back of her head that bothered her about this individual. Something familiar in the faintest way. It can't be the two-legs thing, the hyena thought. The other one being on two-legs does not bother me. It couldn't be her general softspoken mannerisms either, which only seemed out of place for a female if her culture were unfairly compared to Shylome's.

The stranger tilted her head to the side quietly at the questions at first. Then she sat back on her haunches, almost as though she were trying to get a bit closer to the height the black wolf had been while standing. It was an awkward gesture. She was rather top-heavy for a quadruped, though when she lifted her front paws from the ground and straightened her spine as much as she could, she was only about a foot and a half lower off the ground than Tyko had been before taking his seat.

She balanced on her rear for only a second before allowing her weight to fall back against the ground she so preferred. They were not the only wolves she had seen walking around like that, but how could they bear to maintain an upright posture for so long? Every time the hyena was reminded, the idea seemed stranger than before.

So she sat upon the floor, looking into the lighter-colored female's eyes and wondering at their strange color. "My name is Shylome. I'm from across your sea."

She looked back and forth from the seated male with his knife, then back to the woman, then again at the male. They were two of the opposite gender, alone and in a private place with fresh food in the corner. The male had let her in, yes, but wolves were strangely polite and helpful. The knife screamed "protectiveness" and perhaps a wish against intrusion. Her voice became less assertive and more apologetic "I did not interrupt anything, did I?"

[/html]
[html]
(297) Ooc.

Tyko remained watching the door, his eyes locked on the wood and his mind off of the females’ conversation in the back. He did not care for getting to know anyone else without a purpose, and to him this dog that joined them held no significance. He didn’t care who she was, where she came from, or what she wanted – it was nothing to do with him and she couldn’t offer him anything.

Abella’s pretty purple eyes watched the strange dog. She smiled at her watching her attempt to straighten herself like them. Abella stood from the chair and decided to shift down into her lupus form. Secui form didn’t sit so well with her, as her petite frame looked weird all bulky like that. It was a good form for fighting, but fighting wasn’t something Abella found herself doing much of the time. Her limbs shrunk, and her body shrunk into a crouching position until finally she was on all fours – it took maybe about three minutes for her body to reshape – but as she cracked what she could in place while standing before the dog, she smiled. Her tail wagged happily. ”Feel better?” She was about the same size, only Shylome was a bit bulkier, but their height was about the same.

Abella looked at her weird, though, ”Interrupt? No, there is nothing to interrupt here.” She eyed the back of Tyko’s head, but he seemed to be oblivious to their conversation or even to the fact that Abella had shifted down. She turned back to the female, ”I’m Abella, and he’s Tyko. You’re just as welcome here as we are.” They didn’t own this house, and in Abella’s eyes – since they didn’t, they didn’t hold anymore ownership over it than any other stray did.

<style>
</style>[/html]
.shylome p
{
}
</style>

If Shylome were possessed of more anthropomorphic eyebrows, they may have been tilted in mild shock, not at the sound of the bones popping and all, but the odd churning of flesh. Well, at least she thought of it as such. It bothered her, in a way. Such grotesqueness.

Thus, when she was asked if it was better...

Well, the end result was. "Yes." More sensible, sort of she wanted to add, but didn't.

It would be improper to return kindness with close mindedness. After all, it was what the wolves were. She doubted that they had chosen to be that way.

"It is. Thank you," she tacked on absently. "...for the welcome... and the change."

A moment passed. "How do you do such a thing? Going from normal to bird-legged, I mean."

It felt improper to ask as well, as though she were asking a phocomelic clanmate what it's like to hobble along as a tripod. She regretted asking, and she glanced away at a spot on the wall to her left.

[/html]
[html]
(201) Ooc.

At first, Abella cocked her head to the question, but then she caught on. ”It’s just a way that Lupercis use… Once you are tainted, you get the gift and it comes natural to you…” Shifting, to her, wasn’t a science at all. It came as natural as walking … Or growing old. ”It feels a little weird, but doesn’t hurt unless you have open wounds at that time of your shift.” She knew this female before her had no intentions of figuring out what a Luperci life was like, and Abella didn’t even know if her kind could take on the mutant gene, but she felt the need to try and educate her anyway.

Now it was Abella’s turn to be curious, ”What are you…? Um, species, I mean..” Surely every canine knew what species they were – like she knew that she was a coyote, born and raised for the most part, as a loner, a scavenger. Weren’t all coyotes scavengers anyway? Little greedy dogs who steal kills from other predatory animals? Yeah, or so most of her kind perceived to be. Abella was independent, and she refused to feed off of others’ hard earned kills. She preferred her own.

<style>
</style>[/html]
.shylome p
{
}
</style>

"Oh, tainted," the hyena began, her tone somewhat distant, her eyes wandering off to a far wall. "Well, that explains much, I appreciate it, motjie. As for my lineage..." her chest swelled with pride. "I am a hyena, a member of the right and proper creatures of this Earth. In my home there are many of us."

Her gaze returned to her new friend. "Not to say that wolves are not right and proper on this half of the Earth, Ms. Abella. We simply do not have them where I come from. We have big, yellow guys with long hair who would be far taller than your friend in the chair if they could stand bird-legged like he can. They can pull in their claws to keep them sharp and when they pull them out, they can slice your face and eyes from your skull before you can even feel it. Very big cuiters. We also have these fellows who are like very large, colorful mice and they come in such tremendous numbers and make such loud squeaky noises, but they have faces like you and me and eat up all of the food. I much prefer wolves. The closest thing we have to wolves there are jackals. Their females are missing their pisos like you all are and their males are moffie like yours. It must be hard for you to get along in life all opened up to the world like that."

She scratched behind her ear with a hind foot and a careful casualness. "But the jackals... they all like to walk around on two legs like your kind and I dislike them because they killed my entire clan and caused me to be here. You must forgive me if I do not favor the thought of that posture. Wolves are friendly, though." She smiled. "I will not hold them accountable for what the jackals did."

[/html]
[html]
(189)

Abella's curious eyes softened. "I'm so very sorry to hear that, Shylome." Her coyote tail lowered in sadness, lower than it had been which made it tuck underneath her a bit. Abella couldn’t say much as to where her own family was, and she was very far away from home. Her home was in Mexico, very much South from where she was now and she cursed the wolves that took her from there – but there was nothing else she could do. They were alive, thriving somewhere, and she was here stuck with Tyko and serving him for who knows how long. She was kind of counting on Axelle killing him… That way she could find her family.

”Your home sounds like a wondrous place! Tell me more about it.” Abella loved hearing stories, and hearing about the hyena’s home intrigued her very much. The colors she imagined were bright, and the creatures she imagined from Shylome’s description were scary, but at the same time interesting. She wanted to know more about this place… And she wanted to know where it was and how close was it to her home..?

<style>
.tyko-fire { background-image:url(http://i47.tinypic.com/15x79xl.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: top center; background-color:#4b2d11; width:552px; margin:0px auto; text-align: left; padding:290px 0px 10px 0px; color:#cdb7a0; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:18px; border:1px solid #000; }
.tyko-fire b {color:#2c1609; }
.tyko-fire p { text-indent:40px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; }
.tyko-fire p.ooc { font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; }
</style>[/html]
.shylome p
{
}
</style>

The request for elaboration left Shylome quite thoughtful. She wasn't quite sure how to speak of her homeland when it contained everything she considered normal, in strong contrast to this place that held everything opposite.

"Well," she began, her eyes going up to the ceiling. "I can imagine it if I think hard enough. The land there is golden. The most beautiful shade of gold your eyes can meet, motjie. The trees are tall and black and only have green at the tops and not in a little triangle like your trees here. The sky is bluer, the clouds are fluffier. It is a blessed place. There are tremendous herds of prey. Sometimes you cannot even see the ground because of them all. Some of them are small and very fast like I've seen here. They call them deer here, I think, but they call them gazelles back home. Very similar. Like your mooses are to our water buffalos. Both very tough creatures. Many of them are different at home, though. We have these things that are like your deer, but it is very tall. Their heads are perhaps 2 of these houses off the ground. Like, if you put a building on top of this building..." she shifted her paws, holding one over the other to demonstrate the concept. "...his head would be on the roof. They have very long necks that make them like this. I don't care for their taste. We also have cats there that run faster than anything, like..." this comparison proved harder to make. "...if you have ever seen a bird fly very low over the ground to chase a mouse or something, this cat could run fast enough to catch up with the bird as though it were walking. Twice as fast. Like yellow lightning bolts. Even the rabbits here only go about half as fast as one. Their legs are very skinny and their heads are very small. They look cute and they're easy to scare away from their food. Like fast little kittens." She laughed suddenly. "And then there was us. We lived in clans much like your packs. There were always things trying to take away what we caught and there was always some kind of danger around, but as long as we had each other, we could stand up to anything..."

[/html]